PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Jim Bunning

birdog
03-03-2010, 11:55
Fellow hikers take note. The Cades Cove Loop road in the southwestern part of the Smoky Mtn. National Park has been closed until May 22, 2010 for an estimated 10 million dollar repaving project it needs. Those familiar with this area know that the Loop road provides trailhead access to over a dozen trails that cross the southern end of the park. In addition, several of those trails connect with the AT. This project has been needed for years and finally was approved after lengthy delays over budget concerns, environmental impact studies, and projected effects upon tourism to the park. In short, it has taken an act of Congress to get this ball rolling. No one likes the thought of not having access to an extremely popular part of the GSMNP but the need is real. Most everyone agreed that the best way to do it was to do it all at once and close the road instead of working partial days and still letting motor vehicles have access. It was a bitter pill to swallow but all in all it was the best option. That being said, let me describe what the actions of one U.S. Senator can have when he gets into a p$$$$ing match with his own party over HIS OWN party's refusal to support HIS re-election campaign. Jim Bunning (R-KY) blocked the bill out of spite that would allow a continuation of jobless benefits and temporary funding for several highway projects including the Loop road. His own party wont support this buffoon and he gets mad and tries to spite them using his power as a Senator to block a project that he had multiple opportunties to voice his concern over LAST WEEK.All this man is doing is trying to make his party look like jerks because then the opposition will have cause to complain that the other side is holding up progress based on bi-partisan politics. Consequentley the Loop road project was stopped only hours after it began on Monday. It seems that the Senator has relented and the project will go foward but let the lesson be learned; I will do a much better job of researching my elected officials the next time the vote comes up. :confused:

JustaTouron
03-03-2010, 12:06
What might be more useful than your political soapbox rant would be any specific impact this might have on likely planned resupply options hikers might have.

Does this closing in any way limit the abality for thru hikers to hitch/hike to supply town?

Will it cause any hiker services to be canceled or limited?

That would be useful information. What you posted is just hot air.

birdog
03-03-2010, 12:24
Soapbox rant=yes
Hot air=maybe
Factual=absolutely
A quick look at a map(available online for free) will illustrate the impact to hikers as far as re-supply options are concerned. Here is the link: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

take-a-knee
03-03-2010, 12:53
I applaud Sen Bunning. He proposed using already appropriated "stimulus money" to pay for said projects including the extension of benefits. The DEMOCRATS refused, they want to pile up an even higher deficit than the current unimaginable record. I'd say you really do need to do better research.

Alligator
03-03-2010, 13:16
Since the project has been released this no longer appears to be a trail related issue.