PDA

View Full Version : Planning my start date

Tatum
03-03-2010, 12:11
I am planning a flip-flop from Daleville, VA. (North, then South). When do you think would be the best start time in May to avoid large crowds yet not be totally alone?

Manwich
03-03-2010, 12:14
I am planning a flip-flop from Daleville, VA. (North, then South). When do you think would be the best start time in May to avoid large crowds yet not be totally alone?

Don't stay near shelters. Plenty of woods out there for everyone. Otherwise, there's going to be tonnes of thru-hikers at that point. NoBo you're going to be with the same group probably. SoBo you'll meet new NoBo's every night.

Ox97GaMe
03-03-2010, 13:16
Leaving in May puts you right in the middle of the NOBO pack. It will be crowded out there, especially when you get closer to Damascus. The good news is that as you get into TN/NC, the number of hikers will deminish as you work your way toward Springer. But, when you flip to Maine, you will be in the SOBO pack most likely. They wont be as thick as the NOBO pack you will be encountering, and perhaps by then you will be ready for a bit more socializing.

Have a fun trip.

Slo-go'en
03-03-2010, 14:38
Humm, he said going north from Daleville.

Starting mid May would put you at the leading edge of the pack, but by Daleville, many will have already dropped out and the rest have spread out. You'll be sure to find someone or a group to hike with, but it won't be all that busy. It would be my guess it won't be until late May that any significant number of hikers get that far north this year.

Blissful
03-03-2010, 21:07
Going north from Daleville, I'd start in April (of course May is nicer in that you see the rhododendron and mtn laurel in full bloom). You'll be with Feb NOBOers which aren't that many. In early May you'll hit the pack starting now at Springer.