PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap to Neels Gap

simplysql
03-03-2010, 14:59
finally expecting some nice weather in GA this weekend. Would like to section hike from Woody Gap to Neels Gap with my wife and daughter (10). We have been section hiking for around 2 years - have done about 40 miles in GA so far. How difficult is this section? What's an average amount of time to do this section? Thanks for your help!

Rockhound
03-03-2010, 16:11
Just a 10 mile section. As I remember it was not that tough and I did it in pouring rain in late Feb 07'. Don't know what the conditions are like now but if you give yourself 8 hours you should be able to take your time an enjoy yourselves.

chris948
03-03-2010, 16:14
I was up that way two weeks ago and I'm guessing after our latest weather the warm front will be nice but it'll get muddy again. It's pretty sloppy when the snow melts. Just FYI

simplysql
03-03-2010, 16:16
thanks for the responses - yeah, I'm planning on some mud as well.

Praha4
03-03-2010, 16:18
the Blood Mtn climb up northbound is fairly gradual, not too steep.... its the rocky down staircase on the north side that can be a lot of fun... the overlook about a mile north of Woody Gap (big cedar mtn) is a great overlook

if the weather is good, its a great day hike

max patch
03-03-2010, 16:22
11 mile section, I think its easy, the key is how far can your 10 year old hike comfortably in a day. She might be tired when you reach the ascent of Blood.

One of my favorite dayhikes is to park at Lake Winnifield Scott, take the blue blaze Jarrad Gap trail to the AT, hike N on the AT stopping at Woods Hole Shelter, continue N to the Slaughter Creek blue blaze trail, and take it back to LWS. Then a swim in the lake (has a beach, etc). Nice hike in the summer.

BitBucket
03-03-2010, 16:36
Up and out of Woody Gap will be the first test for you..make that one and you've got a great view to start the day and you'll be on the way to Blood Mountain and Neels Gap...

If I remember right, Josh from the Hiker Hostel dropped us off at Woody Gap around 9:30 or 10:00 that morning...

We stopped for lunch about mid-day and a couple of other rest stops through the day..

we were at Mountain Crossings by 4:30 or so after stopping on top of Blood for about 45 minutes...

Nice little hike for the day...

ChinMusic
03-03-2010, 16:39
the Blood Mtn climb up northbound is fairly gradual, not too steep.... its the rocky down staircase on the north side that can be a lot of fun... the overlook about a mile north of Woody Gap (big cedar mtn) is a great overlook

if the weather is good, its a great day hike
This sums it up well.

You posted that you have done some of GA. That section is "typical" for GA.

Plan on some time to hang around the views from Big Cedar and Blood. One of my favorite memories from the AT was taking an hour nap on the rock on top of Big Cedar, the weather and view were perfect that day.

Elder
03-03-2010, 19:15
I was at Neels/ Mtn Crossings today.
5" snow every where, packed snow trail.
Cold wet hikers...
Maybe the snow will melt before the weekend....not!
Great hike in better weather...it is Winter.
Still.
Even in GA.

SurferNerd
03-03-2010, 19:42
I'm currently staying at a hotel down the road from Suches. Its been snowy hiking since Tuesday and I'm doing woody gap to neels gap tmrw and Friday. There are many many 1-3ft drifts

Dances with Mice
03-03-2010, 19:50
I'm currently staying at a hotel down the road from Suches. Its been snowy hiking since Tuesday and I'm doing woody gap to neels gap tmrw and Friday. There are many many 1-3ft driftsThere's a hotel down the road from Suches? T.W.O.?

ChinMusic
03-03-2010, 19:56
I'm currently staying at a hotel down the road from Suches. Its been snowy hiking since Tuesday and I'm doing woody gap to neels gap tmrw and Friday. There are many many 1-3ft drifts
Glad to hear from ya Nerd. Got your blog saved now. "Great" memories will come from these tough days......hang in there.

SurferNerd
03-03-2010, 20:42
There's a hotel down the road from Suches? T.W.O.?

I'm in Dahlonega, GA at an econo lodge with two other thru hikers. Josh from Hiker Hostel is picking us up in the morning and we'll be dropped off to Woody Gap. Its 8.8 miles south of hiker hostel, and costs $59.99/night.

simplysql
03-04-2010, 13:51
if the snow is an issue - maybe we should wait a couple more weeks - anybody with a current report on conditions up there? thanks.