PDA

View Full Version : snow amounts on AT in PA

hal0ofwint3r
03-03-2010, 17:55
anyone know how much snow is on the ground on the AT around swatara gap right now?

1azarus
03-03-2010, 18:00
i'll be hiking south to duncannon from there tomorrow... and will be home on saturday. if you need to know before then, pm me your cell phone and i'll call you!

1azarus
03-03-2010, 18:02
...also is another thread right now called hiking the AT in PA with some pretty current info.

Manwich
03-03-2010, 18:29
I'm a dozen miles east of the border in Jersey, Most of the snow melted and washed away with the crap weather we had this week.

hal0ofwint3r
03-03-2010, 18:43
great, thanks. might go out this weekend.

Toolshed
03-03-2010, 20:36
I'm on a hill 16 Miles South of the AT between Lehigh gap and Wind Gap. We still have a lot of snow here, there are thin patches starting to show up in field and such, but anywhere where it would have drifted - which means sections along the AT where is crests Blue Mountain, you might be in for 2-3 foot drifts that have compacted down to 1-2'. I work in Central Jersey and there is less snow out that way.

emerald
03-03-2010, 20:56
Most people near Duncannon know more about recent snowfall in Pennsylvania that's useful to people from Connecticut hiking west of Swatara Gap than the majority of people from New Jersey.

God may have given Maine the weather, but he gave Pennsylvania's Green Diamond fertile ground and protection from the elements in the form of Blue and South Mountains. Our groundhogs are always right. Our woodchucks and woodchicks aren't ordinarily far off.

Deerleg
03-04-2010, 10:18
anyone know how much snow is on the ground on the AT around swatara gap right now?

Saturday the 27th there was still over a foot...but it has been warming up. There are some large drifts up on the ridge line NB that will be around for awhile too.
Swatara Gap (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39787&c=520)
on the ridge (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39684&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=2895&cutoffdate=-1)

hal0ofwint3r
03-04-2010, 11:20
saw the picture. was it in response to my thread? if so, thanks!

hal0ofwint3r
03-06-2010, 17:02
thanks everyone for the info. i will be going out tomorrow for three days. probably swatara gap to 183. not sure yet.

Toolshed
03-06-2010, 17:04
Most people near Duncannon know more about recent snowfall in Pennsylvania that's useful to people from Connecticut hiking west of Swatara Gap than the majority of people from New Jersey.

God may have given Maine the weather, but he gave Pennsylvania's Green Diamond fertile ground and protection from the elements in the form of Blue and South Mountains. Our groundhogs are always right. Our woodchucks and woodchicks aren't ordinarily far off.
How many people from NJ posted on this thread????