PDA

View Full Version : Biology Convention news -snakes

bfree
03-03-2010, 22:36
A couple of the herpitologists I spoke to at the convention in Wahington last weekend are expecting a larger than typical population of snakes this year. Of course, I had to ask if that included venomous species. The answer was profoundly yes. I have the bad of luck of attracting snakes- at least that is what my hiking partners say. It seems that no matter where I am a snake will show up. Wish me luck this year on the trail - I might have a Forrest Gump type following (when he was running) - except that it will be snakes.

johnnybgood
03-03-2010, 23:24
Was looking for the reason why increased snake population is expected but your post didn't shed any light on that. Is it related to the colder winter ? Global warming ?

Curious minds what to know.;)

Feral Bill
03-03-2010, 23:55
And the area of the country?

mudhead
03-04-2010, 09:08
Or a rodent population boom due to XXX?

Blue Jay
03-04-2010, 11:39
My theory is fear mongering is cyclic. In past years fear mongers spread fear about bears. This year they will be using snakes.:eek:

TheKO
03-04-2010, 13:23
Gloabal Warming

NorthCountryWoods
03-04-2010, 13:27
I have the bad of luck of attracting snakes- at least that is what my hiking partners say.

My wife too. Before I met her I could count the snakes I saw after hundreds of miles on one hand. She's good for running into at least one every day hike.:confused:

RWK
03-04-2010, 13:41
Never worried much about snakes until I got bit by a real big copperhead on my foot in my own backyard. After that experience, snakes are on my radar a little bit more.

Carbo
03-04-2010, 15:04
I guess that's why you should hike with a partner out front. They make good snake bait (and bear bait for that matter).

Hatfield
03-04-2010, 15:24
Snake are to be respected not feared. Symbol of rebirth.

Pringles
03-04-2010, 16:24
I guess that's why you should hike with a partner out front. They make good snake bait (and bear bait for that matter).

If I remember correctly, statistically, the person most likely to be bitten is the person last in line, whether s/he be 2nd or 12th. Also if I remember correctly, 39.7% of statistics are made up. :rolleyes:

emerald
03-04-2010, 16:39
Gestation of viviparous (live-bearing) snakes depends heavily upon adequate solar energy and basking. A few months ago, I heard the copperhead recruitment last year in Pennsylvania was thought to be low due to inadequate heating-units at the necessary time.

I'll PM our resident viper expert to see if he cares to comment.

10-K
03-04-2010, 16:53
Gestation of viviparous (live-bearing) snakes depends heavily upon adequate solar energy and basking. A few months ago, I heard the copperhead recruitment last year in Pennsylvania was thought to be low due to inadequate heating-units at the necessary time.

I'll PM our resident viper expert to see if he cares to comment.

I bet I'm the only person to hike through PA in July and not see a single snake....

emerald
03-04-2010, 18:28
You're probably not the only person, but those who see snakes should consider themselves fortunate, especially were they to see venomous snakes.

I'll be right back with my standard offerings (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=933244&postcount=4) on timber rattlesnakes and copperheads from Pennsylvania DCNR and FBC. Meanwhile, for an off-thread venomous snakes excursion for those who have pop-ups enabled, click on timber rattlesnake, dark phase (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=845236&postcount=67).

Herpn
03-04-2010, 22:03
Hello All,

Let me say that the population will not be any larger than it was last September or October. Timber Rattlesnakes are what people are probably referring to. These snakes have a cyclical breeding cycle and tend to have banner years and lower production years. The females don't drop young every year but rather every 3-5 years depending on what state you are in. The further south the more frequently they will give birth. These females tend to cycle together. When hikers are seeing rattlesnakes on the trail they are more often seeing gestating gravid/pregnant females. So the population will not be higher but you may see more snakes out basking in the sun, thermoregulating to keep their babies inside them warm. The last few years were lower production years and not banner years for sure. We are due for a GOOD YEAR (many gravid females) that being said I have no proof that this will be the year. Last year was a very low year for recruitment into the population so this year there may be more females out there. Like I said in the beginning, the population will not be higher at least not now. If there are many females getting ready to drop their young this year, the population will get larger but not until Septemberish.

This being said keep in mind that deaths by snake bite (I think) are none existent on the AT (at least in New England) and venomous snake bites themselves are extremely rare. Most snake bites happen to males aged 16-36 who are picking up and handling the snakes and usually have had at lest 4 alcoholic drinks. Only 3% of all the venomous snake bites that occur result in death in the United States. Usually these people have other preexisting medical conditions that complicates the treatment. So when hiking keep you beer drinking to a minimum and if you are luckey enough to see a snake DON'T PICK IT UP!:D

Happy Hiking, spring is just around the corner! :banana

Cheers,
Chuck
www.HerpetologicalSurveys.com (http://www.herpetologicalsurveys.com/)

bummer72
03-04-2010, 23:29
Herpn,
Thanks for your knowledgeable comments. As a noobie AT enthusiast, I was curious (read: concerned) about the hazards of hiking in PA in snake territory. Not that I dislike snakes by any means...I understand that I am in "their space" when I go blundering along the trail. If, in the course of my walk, if I impede upon their space, what every they do is only natural for them, and not a random spiteful act.

That being said, I am glad to hear that deaths by venomous snake bites are rare, and even less likely on the AT in PA.

Thanks!!!,
Doug

mudhead
03-05-2010, 10:39
Thanks Herpn.

Herpn
03-06-2010, 00:21
Welcome Guys!

10-K as for seeing snakes in July, it can be hard. July gets Hot and Dry, snakes will normally not be out basking in full sun in July unless they are Water snakes trying to warm up and dry off. Snakes like it about the same temp most people do, between 70 and 80. You can still see them out basking in July in the early morning. When it gets hot they take refuge in or under logs and rocks.

If anyone has a fear, phobia or just some general snake questions or concerns that you can't find the answer to, feel free to PM me or even call me. Everyone who hikes should at least know what the venomous look like in the area they are hiking. I have posted some pics on this forum and so have many others...

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Annicelli
Herpetological Surveys, LLC.

Graywolf
03-06-2010, 00:47
Thanks Herpn for the info. I was about to put it in but you beat me too it.. And as he said, locale has a lot to do with it..The higher you are th eless likely you will see a Timber anyway.. And they are on the endangered species list. Citi list.. Just thoought I would add that in..

This year is also a "wetter than normal" year..So for that I might add that you wont see a population growth but a more activity level..The wetter it is the more likley the snakes will be going about..

Just thought I would add this in..

Graywolf