PDA

View Full Version : NOLS Classes

rockytop7
03-03-2010, 23:42
I'm interested in getting some documented (classes/certifications) backpacking/sea kayaking experience this summer so I can try and get a job as a backpacking or sea kayaking guide in the future. I came across the National Outdoor Leadership School website, and I'm very interested. I can receive college credit for the 30 day class, so it sounds pretty cool. Pretty expensive though, but about the same as trying to study abroad. Does anybody know anything about this school? Any information would be great! Here's the link...

https://www.nols.edu/courses/

Elder
03-03-2010, 23:55
NOLS has always been one of the best schools for Real outdoor education...not just "experiential".
I've never met a NOLS trained instructor that I would not trust...
YMMV

The Outsider
03-03-2010, 23:55
NOLS has been one of the most recognized outdoor schools in the country for a LONG time. Thier Wilderness Mediine programs are top notch, I'm not familiar with all their other course offerings but the school certainly has a good reputation.

rockytop7
03-04-2010, 00:29
Great, thanks for that info, I had never heard of them so I wasn't sure. But, here's what I really want to know I guess...

In your personal opinion, how valuable (since I am going to end up paying $4000) do you think one of these courses will be for my future? As in, if you were hiring sea kayak guides, would my completion of a NOLS Sea Kayak Training course be sufficient experience for you to consider hiring me, if that was basically my only experience? Or, do you have any other alternatives that you think I should do that would make me a more competitive applicant, or is this about as good as I can do? Thanks guys, I'm loving the help!

Bronk
03-04-2010, 02:30
Its like any other job...employers are going to want to know what you have actually done...so I'd suggest you do stuff...if you want a job sea kayaking, I'd do a lot of sea kayaking...go to any REI store and you'll see pictures of all of their employees in the entryway rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, etc, etc. NOLS will help, but at the end of the day an employer is going to want to know what you can do and what you have done. You might also consider first aid and CPR classes...costs about $25 through the Red Cross...if I were applying for a job leading any kind of outdoor group I'd want to have those on my resume...a lifeguard course (also through Red Cross) might be another one if you want to lead kayaking trips.

When you're writing your resume and talking to prospective employers, talk about safety a lot...and mean it.

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 02:41
nols grad here. nols gives a choice of credit or non credit canidate status to students. the university of colorodo is the school issueing the credits. or used to be. as far as a single nols course being a good job prerecwisit, no. only for a job as a camp counseler. go to nols and enroll in the wilderness educaters program. its prerecwisite is a nols course in wilderness. if you receive an evaluation with a 3.5 or higher grade average, as mattthewski did, and if you are selected, as matthewski was, you may receive scolorship funds, as matthew did but didnt follow up on.then in three years you could be the leader on a course in your feild of study. as far as nols being the harvard of mountaineering schools as its called, it is. every single shuttle astronaut must first pass a nols course as nasa requires it.

grayfox
03-04-2010, 03:20
I have done several Outward Bound programs and was very pleased with the level expertise of the instructors. I learned a lot and feel that I gained in terms of self-reliance and experience. I would highly recommend doing the Nols course if you want to be a guide. These two schools hire a lot of poeple so the course might give you an inside track to a paycheck.

Check out your nearest Tech school for EMT type certifications. Can't hurt.

All of my canoe/kayak instructors have had ACA certification. This might be something you could do where you are, or near enough. Not sure on cost.
Check here: http://www.americancanoe.org/site/c.lvIZIkNZJuE/b.4515077/k.6197/Become_an_ACA_Instructor.htm

Check with your guidance counselor, or on the net, lots of colleges now offer courses that would lead to wilderness guide careers.

If you have the time and money, ask about scholarships, definitly do the course.

10-K
03-04-2010, 06:03
I took the Wilderness First Aide course and it was great.

garlic08
03-04-2010, 10:09
My impression of NOLS is top-notch. Though I've never attended their school, I have hiked across Wyoming and have run into their instructors on the trails and have been impressed with the people. I also visited their Landers headquarters and that's an impressive operation, too. They are what they claim to be.

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 11:25
respect to old man pedzoldt, paul founded nols and outward bound and wrote the air force survival manual and changed outdoor pursuits for all. he invented leave no trace/minnimum impact

white_russian
03-04-2010, 11:46
Another option would be to look into becoming a Registed Maine Guide.

RedneckRye
03-04-2010, 12:08
I took a month long Alaskan Mountaineering course in 2007 and got my Wilderness First Responder in 2008 thru NOLS. Great experience on both. The mountaineering course was the first "organized / group" type of trip since I was a kid in the scouts and it was interesting to re-experience that dynamic. Obviously the skill set they teach varies by course, but the leadership training, environmental ethics, and cooking skills are similar no matter what course you take.
I would love to take another month long course, sailing and kayaking in Baja Mexico sounds OK to me, but time and money aren't available at the moment. Will have to suffice with just a 3 day re-certification of my WFR later this year.
The food on a NOLS course is fantastic and that style of cooking has crept into all of my outdoor trips. No more lipton or ramen for me. Bring on the Gado Gado and quick bread, empanadas and cheese bombs.

Lyle
03-04-2010, 12:24
I've known folks who took NOLS courses. Nothing but good to say. Have known and worked with some instructors for Outward Bound's Seabase in Maine, actually got to visit the Seabase. Good folks there too. Either school is considered top-notch and both have a long history.

I researched NOLS when I was considering taking their course, much tougher to do back then, pre-internet. :D My recollection is that NOLS was started by Paul Petzoldt. Earlier, he was also instrumental in bringing Outward Bound to Colorado and was a leading instructor of their's. My understanding is that he developed a different philosophy about the man-wilderness relationship and so broke off from Outward Bound and founded NOLS. The difference came down to Outward Bound expressing a more confrontational approach, Man vs Wild. The idea that nature was something to be overcome and dominated. Paul Petzoldt subscribed more to the idea that nature was something man should be at harmony with, and not attempt to conquer it, but to adjust to so as to be compatible with and complimentary to.

I also subscribe more to the latter approach, and so I've always leaned toward an affinity with NOLS.

twodifferentsocks
03-04-2010, 13:19
In my opinion, if you are looking for a seakayak guide position, this package will give you the most value and make you very competitive.

1. British Canoe Union Training (BCU): http://www.bcuna.com/pages/Main-Pages/2010-Calendar.shtml
The seakayakers I know hold BCU training in the highest regard, even more so than American Canoe Association (ACA) training. I took the ACA Seakayak Instructor's Developmental Workshop in 2000 and found it extremely helpful. Our instructor held both ACA and BCU certifications. Either association and program will improve your skills dramatically, but for seakayaking, the BCU has the better reputation. The ACA is known for and grew from whitewater, not seakayaking.

2. Become a Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician (WEMT). Because money sounds like an issue, this is the plan of attack I would use:

Step 1: Become an Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (EMT-B) by taking a 1 semester EMT-B course from your local community college.

Step 2: Take National Outdoor Leadership School's (NOLS) Wilderness Medical Institute's (WMI) "Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals" WUMP.
Here are a couple links on W-EMT:

http://www.emtlife.com/index.php?

Here's the class list and pricing for GTCC, my local community college to get your EMT-Basic. See how cheap it is! And they have night, day and weekend options. This will give you marketable skills, instantly. For instance, after that semester you can go work for a paramedic crew or at a hospital as a phlebotomist .
http://www.gtcc.edu/programs/coned/emergencyMedicalScienceConEd/classes/emt.html

Here is the NOLS WMI WUMP course that will take you from EMT-Basic to W-EMT:
http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildupgrademedpros.shtml A W-EMT is the real ****.

If I were you, I would get BCU seakayak training then become a W-EMT. Good luck.