PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail/No Approach trail?

LordFouis
03-03-2010, 23:56
Hey all, I'm starting my thru hike NOBO on the 11th, and I've got a quick question about the forest route 11 that skips the approach trail..

I've got 2 + friends seeing me off from Springer, and I don't know if there's parking from the forest road for them to park their car.

Can anyone tell me if there is? Or should I hit the approach trail with them so the can park?

Thanks!

Skidsteer
03-04-2010, 00:02
Hey all, I'm starting my thru hike NOBO on the 11th, and I've got a quick question about the forest route 11 that skips the approach trail..

I've got 2 + friends seeing me off from Springer, and I don't know if there's parking from the forest road for them to park their car.

Can anyone tell me if there is? Or should I hit the approach trail with them so the can park?

Thanks!

There is a parking lot at FS 42 3/4 mile North of Springer. The Trail goes right through it.

SurferNerd
03-04-2010, 00:08
Of all the hikers I've met over the past few days on the trail, not one had a positive story about the approach.

Trailweaver
03-04-2010, 02:08
Park in the lot at the FS 42, hike up to the top of Springer and make your photo with the monument there, and then begin your hike by heading through the parking lot and toward the Stover shelter. The approach trail is a killer and is, after all an approach trail, not THE trail. ; - )

drdewrag
03-04-2010, 05:22
Someone said, "If you can make it to Springer on the approach trail, you should have no problem making it to Maine." :rolleyes:

jesse
03-04-2010, 05:39
... The approach trail is a killer and is, after all an approach trail, not THE trail. ; - )

BS, Except for the steps going up the fall, The Approach Trail is very much like the rest of the AT in Georgia.

jesse
03-04-2010, 05:41
Someone said, "If you can make it to Springer on the approach trail, you should have no problem making it to Maine." :rolleyes:

That someone is FOS. Once you reach Springer you have 8 miles behind you with 2175 in front of you. There are many problems getting from Springer to Maine.

jesse
03-04-2010, 05:43
Of all the hikers I've met over the past few days on the trail, not one had a positive story about the approach.

You didn't meet me. I like the Approach trail.

Helios
03-04-2010, 06:26
The Approach Trail used to be part of the AT when it started at Mt. Oglethorpe. Now it's just one of two ways to "approach" Springer to start your thru hike. If those 8 miles seem daunting to you, I wonder what the 2,000 miles in front of you seem like? If you start from the FS road and hike back to Springer, well that'd be your "approach" too. It's all good.

It's a personal choice that should hold no judgement on anyone if they do or don't hike it. Personally, I"m heading up the Approach Trail to start my thru this coming Tuesday, the 9th. It's not the only side trail I plan on exploring during my thru. This is MY hike. Keep in mind this trail was imagined as a way to preserve the wilderness for folks to escape to and enjoy. The Approach Trail is just another one of those wilderness areas to enjoy.

Hike it, don't hike it. Who cares but you? This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard over the years concerning a thru hike.

bigcranky
03-04-2010, 07:57
Me, I liked the Approach Trail. Hiked it in both directions (on different hikes, natch.)

If you are thru-hiking, consider the emotional impact of seeing the First White Blaze on Springer after hiking up to it, rather than after hiking half a mile of white blazes in the, er, wrong direction. Just something to think about. It's a personal choice and you only have to justify it to yourself.

max patch
03-04-2010, 07:59

Future statistics.

QuarterPounder
03-04-2010, 08:33
I've been to Springer once. That time I parked at FS 43 and hiked south. I've never been to Amicalola Falls so this time, I'm taking the Approach. My wife and I are planning to spend a little time at the Park there before I head up the stairs to the Falls and beyond. I'm thinking it will be a nice half day of hiking just relishing the fact I'll be starting the AT the next morning.

I am stoked !!

QP

10-K
03-04-2010, 09:02
I hiked the mile back to the terminus and then backtracked. You'll see plenty of white blazes before you're done.

Having said that, after I finish hiking the trail this summer I'll probably go back and hike the approach trail - just because - so if you do it now you won't ever have to deal with having it in the back of your head.

Whatever floats your boat.

full conditions
03-04-2010, 09:23
I loved the approach trail - but then again I love hiking. The approach trail gives you time to ease into your adventure so that by the time you're actually standing on the top of Springer you will have had the opportunity to contemplate the beauty/insanity of what you are about to undertake. Besides, its a very pretty walk and theoretically at least, you are out for the next five months because you love walking.

white_russian
03-04-2010, 09:26
Really the only thing to see on the approach trail is Amicalola Falls.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 09:29
You want your friends with you atop Springer and they don't wish to hike 8 miles and back to do it? Yes there is parking at that forest road. They can do the .9 tag with you.

DrRichardCranium
03-04-2010, 11:20
Hmm, I'm on the fence here.

At first I thought I would skip it, but I might never get back down there again, so it would be nice to see that park.

Tuney
03-04-2010, 11:25
Hmmm! Too.

If you hike the approach trail from the bottom of the falls by the visitor center check in, rather than picking it up at the top near the lodge, it's probably one of the toughest sections of the trail in GA. Lots of steps.

Helios
03-04-2010, 11:27
You want your friends with you atop Springer and they don't wish to hike 8 miles and back to do it? Yes there is parking at that forest road. They can do the .9 tag with you.

My friends are at home. The folks at the Hiker Hostel who are dropping me off have seen it already. :-)

Ender
03-04-2010, 11:31

You didn't meet me. I like the Approach trail.

I also like the approach trail. It's that much more time spent hiking, the views along the falls are great, and it makes falling asleep that first night out on the trip that much easier. If I ever hike the AT again, I'll do the approach trail again... 8 more miles is nothing in the grand scheme of the whole trip.

Me, I liked the Approach Trail. Hiked it in both directions (on different hikes, natch.)

If you are thru-hiking, consider the emotional impact of seeing the First White Blaze on Springer after hiking up to it, rather than after hiking half a mile of white blazes in the, er, wrong direction. Just something to think about. It's a personal choice and you only have to justify it to yourself.

Also have to agree with BC here about the feeling of seeing that first white blaze after hiking all day to get there. That exhaustion combined with pure joy was a hell of a feeling.

Really, either hiking it/not hiking it will have no impact on your overall hike, but personally I was a fan of it when I did it. There was something about that slow hike away from "civilization" that I really liked, as opposed to just walking a few minutes and being at the start. And also, 8 more miles in the woods is always a plus in my book. :sun

white_russian
03-04-2010, 11:32
Hmm, I'm on the fence here.

At first I thought I would skip it, but I might never get back down there again, so it would be nice to see that park.

If you don't think you will be back to Georgia anytime soon the falls are worth checking out. It is the most impressive sight between the Amicalola Visitors Center and Bly Gap.

DrRichardCranium
03-04-2010, 12:38
If you don't think you will be back to Georgia anytime soon the falls are worth checking out. It is the most impressive sight between the Amicalola Visitors Center and Bly Gap.
Would I be missing much if I started out at the parking lot above the falls?

DavidNH
03-04-2010, 12:45
I just can't believe these folks who complain about the approach trail. A killer? Nothing to see but the falls?

C'mon folks. If you don't like looking at trees then what the hell are doing trying to hike the AT? you got over 2000 miles of woods. Woods are beautiful.

As for the difficulty.. the approach trail ain't nothin' compared to what's comin' further up in GA and especially in North Carolina.

You are setting out to hike 2,175 some miles. What the hell's the big deal about another measly 8 miles for the approach trail? Good Grief!

David

Mags
03-04-2010, 12:46

I found the approach trail rather chill. Nothing overly scenic, but very pretty.

As Rock told me, if you come right from the couch and with a heavy pack (both are common for most first time AT hikers), then yeah, it is gonna be tough.

For someone in shape (never mind a light pack), not hard at all.

I didn't do the approach on my AT hike due to the preference of the people I shuttled with. I did do the approach trail on my BMT hike.

As I said, a pretty trail that is not really that difficult IMO.

LordFouis
03-04-2010, 14:03
Thanks for all the advice with it-- I wasn't really looking for a debate as to whether the Approach trail is worth it or not (lol), but I'm skipping the approach so my friends don't have to worry as much about the drive back (it's 11 1/2 hours back to the DC area!)

Hopefully see some of ya'll on the trail-- hear the weather's not so great right now : /

white_russian
03-04-2010, 14:13
Would I be missing much if I started out at the parking lot above the falls?
Yes, the falls are the point so skipping the falls would be a waste. If you are going to skip any part of the approach trail do it between the top of the falls and Springer.

jesse
03-04-2010, 14:52
Really the only thing to see on the approach trail is Amicalola Falls.

Its only the largest cascading fall East of the Mississippi. What about all the trees along the way?

Blissful
03-04-2010, 15:12
Well if you have 2 friends who want to walk up to Springer with you, take pics and see you off, I can see skipping the Approach Trail. If they are just seeing you off in the parking lot, I'd do it at Amicalola Falls and take pics at the arch behind the visitor center.

Unfortunately, your title to the thread was a bit misleading, making you look like you were considering whether or not to do the Approach. Hence the opinions. :)

Trisha
03-04-2010, 15:19
The stairs beyond the reflecting pool are 175 steps... a vertical climb past beautiful cascades shaded by towering forests... then a photo op area by the falls and a sign warning about 425 steps to the top of Amicalola... more climbing, more platforms with benches, more views of the Appalachians and the falls....
Once you are at the top, you will be winded. We did each section, reparking the car at the bottom, then the top of the falls, then hiked a little on the approach trail. Depending on your level of conditioning, you might find 8.8 miles beyond those steps a bit ambitious on your first day. I loved the stairs, but would hate dragging a full pack up them when a quick hitch would take me to the top of the falls and the real beginning of the approach trail.

trailangelbronco
03-04-2010, 15:21
You could also have a helicopter drop you off at the top of Springer, rappel down a rope Rambo style. That way, you would probably end up with an interesting trailname.

jesse
03-04-2010, 15:41
...C'mon folks. If you don't like looking at trees then what the hell are doing trying to hike the AT? you got over 2000 miles of woods. Woods are beautiful...

Thru hikers are not into trees and waterfalls, they're into beer and pizza.

Mags
03-04-2010, 18:18
You could also have a helicopter drop you off at the top of Springer, rappel down a rope Rambo style. That way, you would probably end up with an interesting trailname.

How about parachuting on top of Springer?

http://books.google.com/books?id=rp6RywISXngC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=jumpstart+appalachian+trail&source=bl&ots=j3naWUebeM&sig=Yn9lGFGb3-_KXYpxV8fhRoOSqMM&hl=en&ei=RDGQS9azAofw-Qal1aXjCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=jumpstart%20appalachian%20trail&f=false

Tuney
03-04-2010, 18:31
Thru hikers are not into trees and waterfalls, they're into beer and pizza.

Some of us really like Trees and Waterfalls. Beer and Pizza are OK too, but only on Zero Days. I like to have my all my limited wits about me when I'm hiking alone in the woods.

Speer Carrier
03-04-2010, 18:34
Thanks for all the advice with it-- I wasn't really looking for a debate as to whether the Approach trail is worth it or not (lol), but I'm skipping the approach so my friends don't have to worry as much about the drive back (it's 11 1/2 hours back to the DC area!)

Hopefully see some of ya'll on the trail-- hear the weather's not so great right now : /

Actually, if driving time back to DC is an issue, it would be easier for them to leave from the park. It's quite a haul on rough road to get from the paved road to the parking lot on #42. From the park, it's only about a half hour back through Dawsonville and then on to state route 400.

DapperD
03-04-2010, 20:53
The stairs beyond the reflecting pool are 175 steps... a vertical climb past beautiful cascades shaded by towering forests... then a photo op area by the falls and a sign warning about 425 steps to the top of Amicalola... I loved the stairs, but would hate dragging a full pack up them when a quick hitch would take me to the top of the falls and the real beginning of the approach trail. I agree with this. Even though I understand the Original Poster was not asking for opinions as to wether or not to do the approach trail, I just wanted to say that I had posted a thread awhile back asking about how to avoid all those steps when just starting out, and learned that one can arrive at the park(Amicalola), spend time at the visitor center, etc...and then when ready get a ride or drive to the top of the falls so one can bypass the vertical cimb and stairs to the top of the falls, and then once at the top, pick up the approach trail across the lot, which I learned is then something like 3 miles to Springer Mountain.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 20:56
and then once at the top, pick up the approach trail across the lot, which I learned is then something like 3 miles to Springer Mountain.

more like 7.6 miles scooter :D eat a buffet meal at the lodge first though

DapperD
03-04-2010, 21:12
more like 7.6 miles scooter :D eat a buffet meal at the lodge first thoughThanks for the correct info:welcome

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 21:26
any time. i'm an AT expert :)

gunner76
03-04-2010, 22:18
If AT is 2,175 then the approach trail is about .004% of the overall trail length. So whats an exta .004%. I would love to go back and hike the approach trail again, last time I was on it was in 1983.

Terry7
03-04-2010, 22:54
add another 200 miles for all the side trails to shelters, the long down hill and back up again for water, and the walks to town. lol

omegaman13
03-05-2010, 01:41
The Approach Trail is not all that difficult at the top of the Falls. Behind the visitor center is a hard stretch of trail, some people aren't including that part of the trail in the difficulty level.

climber2377
03-05-2010, 01:50
if possible, my opinion here, is to park the car up on the trail and get a ride down to the approach and hike the first 9 with your friends. they get to the car, they go home, they wish you well, and if you want to keep your pack light, grab your food and stuff when you get back to the car and keep moving. i would definately want to have my pack for picture time though. lots of people hike Katahdin with a light pack or small pack, why not hike springer the same way??

Tuney
03-05-2010, 09:29
If AT is 2,175 then the approach trail is about .004% of the overall trail length. So whats an exta .004%. I would love to go back and hike the approach trail again, last time I was on it was in 1983.

For the inexperienced hiker, and from following WB it appears there are many of them, the hike to the top of the falls can be a tough introduction to life on the trail. For the new hikers with very likely an overloaded pack, the approach trail might add 1 or more days to the trip My sons and I have round tripped on the approach trail as a weekend outing.

mweinstone
03-05-2010, 09:30
hyoh................

JustaTouron
03-05-2010, 09:47
hyoh................

HMHDI

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike-my-hike-damn-it.pdf

jersey joe
03-05-2010, 09:58
While I understand the positive aspect of the trail ending on two mountain tops, the AT should really start/end at the arch in amacola state park.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 09:59
While I understand the positive aspect of the trail ending on two mountain tops, the AT should really start/end at the arch in amacola state park.

and it should start/end on Whitecap mtn. in maine instead of Katahdin

GeneralLee10
03-05-2010, 10:02
Both you and Mags have the right idea:)

Bear Grylls style:)

How about parachuting on top of Springer?

They have those on the AT:D

[QUOTE=Lone Wolf;981917]any time. i'm an AT expert :)

jersey joe
03-05-2010, 10:14
and it should start/end on Whitecap mtn. in maine instead of Katahdin
why? to avoid baxter?

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 10:17
why? to avoid baxter?

too many rules and regs after being free for 4-6 months. whitecap is an awesome mtn. katahdin is ok

jersey joe
03-05-2010, 10:19
I disagree, I thought Katahdin was much more awesome with all of the trail above treeline. Your rules arguement makes some sense though, even though most hikes probably aren't affected by them.

mudhead
03-05-2010, 10:21
I agree with you on the rules.

Whitecap is an OK place, but does not float my boat the same as Katahdin.

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2010, 11:01
Park in the lot at the FS 42, hike up to the top of Springer and make your photo with the monument there, and then begin your hike by heading through the parking lot and toward the Stover shelter. The approach trail is a killer and is, after all an approach trail, not THE trail. ; - )
just an approach trail to the top of everest too then?:D
i say hike it! just another day being out there.

Mags
03-05-2010, 12:57
This discussion may be moot for a day or two. :)

From the ATC facebook page:

: Snow and ice on unplowed USFS 42 have blocked access by car to Springer Mtn., southern terminus of AT. USFS reports heavy snow cover in places. Thru-hikers hoping to avoid snow at beginning of AT are advised to wait until conditions improve. Springer may also be accessed via 9-mile appro...ach trail at Amicalola Falls SP (at lower elevations, where snow is less likely to be a problem).

white_russian
03-05-2010, 13:01
I think it should end/start at Brasstown Bald.

LordFouis
03-05-2010, 13:02
: Snow and ice on unplowed USFS 42 have blocked access by car to Springer Mtn., southern terminus of AT. USFS reports heavy snow cover in places. Thru-hikers hoping to avoid snow at beginning of AT are advised to wait until conditions improve. Springer may also be accessed via 9-mile appro...ach trail at Amicalola Falls SP (at lower elevations, where snow is less likely to be a problem).

Yikes! Where are you getting this info from Mags?

shoe
03-05-2010, 13:06
I can vouch for the fact that 42 is a hot mess. I drive a Ford Explorer and it is currently still up there. I can't get it up and over the hill that is between Horse Gap and Cooper Gap. Hopefully in a couple of days I will be able to get it.

Mags
03-05-2010, 13:12
Yikes! Where are you getting this info from Mags?

Posted 3 hrs ago on the ATC facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/ATHike?ref=nf

GeneralLee10
03-05-2010, 14:14
If 42 is closed now, do you think it will be open on Thursday of next week? I was planning on using Winding Stair Rd/77 I think it is then make a left on 42. This way is not accessible?

jersey joe
03-05-2010, 14:26
I think it should end/start at Brasstown Bald.
Why? I could maybe see Mount Oglethorpe...

Mags
03-05-2010, 14:45
If 42 is closed now, do you think it will be open on Thursday of next week? I was planning on using Winding Stair Rd/77 I think it is then make a left on 42. This way is not accessible?

From what I read, 42 is not closed, just very difficult to travel even with a 4WD vehicle (it is not plowed).

But, I am not a local. You may want to contact the ATC on say, Tues or Weds, to get updated news. They probably get their info from the GATC, but the ATC will be more easily reached I imagine.

max patch
03-05-2010, 14:50

Temps in the 60s are coming; snow on the fs rds shouldn't be a problem. However, I wouldn't take Winding Stair FS77*. Depending on where you are coming from, the FS rds from Elijay, Dahlonega, or Suches should be in much better shape.

*unless someone jumps in with "recent" experience on fs 77 and can vouch for its current conditions. I haven't gone that way in ages.

white_russian
03-05-2010, 16:04
Why? I could maybe see Mount Oglethorpe...
Brasstown Bald is the highest mountain in GA.

The Food Network
03-10-2010, 16:19
I've done a total of four shakedown hikes to prepare for this year's thru, and three of them started at the Amicalola Arch. So, I know the approach trail pretty well.

The approach from the base of the falls is actually pretty weird; not only is it a fairly steep grade throughout, it's exposed! So, if you start in warm weather like I did one August, it's hot as hell. In colder weather, you're totally exposed to the wind. It can be pretty discouraging. From the top of the falls to Springer is just more conventional AT hiking. I personally think that everyone should do it once for completeness sake, but I won't be going back unless it's to take a detour to the Len Foote Hike Inn.

DrRichardCranium
03-11-2010, 11:11
Is there anyway to leave your backpack at the Lodge (maybe for a tip), get a ride down to the entrance, and hike back up the stairs?

Hikes in Rain
03-11-2010, 11:54
Yeah, you probably could do that.

Or, get dropped off at the arch, hike up to the lodge, spend the night and eat the buffets (!), then start out bright, early and bloated in the morning.