PDA

View Full Version : any chance of keeping up?

hellomolly
03-04-2010, 09:03
I will be joining my boyfriend, who is currently NOBO, once he gets to the Whites in New Hampshire to hike for about aweek. Everything I've read here says he'll have his "hiker legs" at that point... and because of time constraints, he is trying to finish his hike in 4.5 months, so that means lots of mileage and not many zeros.

So I'm wondering if I can even have any semblance of hope to keep up with him and was hoping some here might have some tips as to how I could best get into shape for it. I have basically 2.5 months to improve my fitness... whether I can improve to the point where I can maybe keep up with him is a separate question entirely.

For background, I hike as well, but have never done a serious backpacking trip - just long day hikes. The heaviest pack I've carried on a hike was no more than 10 pounds and the longest hike I've done was about 15 miles, but that included four 4000+ peaks (in the high peaks of the Adirondacks). I was seriously beat by the end of that day.
As far as fitness goes... I run several times a week (2-3 miles at a time) and work out at the gym (40 minutes cardio - mix of stairs and elliptical and 40ish minutes weight training and stretching) a few times a week. Because of work and other committments, as well as my distance from hiking areas, I will not have the opportunity to get out hiking except occasionally on the weekends, so mostly I'm looking for ways to get into shape using a traditional gym and the pavement outside.

Is it worth it to try and get into better shape for just a few weeks of backpacking or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and suffer through it later on? I really hope the latter is possible, lol... I want to enjoy being out there and not annoy him with my complaints :o But the reality of time and such makes me wonder if it's even possible to get into shape for long backpacking when I won't have a chance to DO any long-term backpacking.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 09:09
If he is that intent on making the miles and you are worried about keeping up, you could just play leap frog with him through the Whites, meeting him at the notches. Hike with him some and meet up with him via car each night. Maybe even slack him a bit.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 09:12
I will be joining my boyfriend, who is currently NOBO, once he gets to the Whites in New Hampshire to hike for about aweek. Everything I've read here says he'll have his "hiker legs" at that point... and because of time constraints, he is trying to finish his hike in 4.5 months, so that means lots of mileage and not many zeros.

So I'm wondering if I can even have any semblance of hope to keep up with him and was hoping some here might have some tips as to how I could best get into shape for it. I have basically 2.5 months to improve my fitness... whether I can improve to the point where I can maybe keep up with him is a separate question entirely.

For background, I hike as well, but have never done a serious backpacking trip - just long day hikes. The heaviest pack I've carried on a hike was no more than 10 pounds and the longest hike I've done was about 15 miles, but that included four 4000+ peaks (in the high peaks of the Adirondacks). I was seriously beat by the end of that day.
As far as fitness goes... I run several times a week (2-3 miles at a time) and work out at the gym (40 minutes cardio - mix of stairs and elliptical and 40ish minutes weight training and stretching) a few times a week. Because of work and other committments, as well as my distance from hiking areas, I will not have the opportunity to get out hiking except occasionally on the weekends, so mostly I'm looking for ways to get into shape using a traditional gym and the pavement outside.

Is it worth it to try and get into better shape for just a few weeks of backpacking or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and suffer through it later on? I really hope the latter is possible, lol... I want to enjoy being out there and not annoy him with my complaints :o But the reality of time and such makes me wonder if it's even possible to get into shape for long backpacking when I won't have a chance to DO any long-term backpacking.
no you won't keep up. he'll have to adjust to your pace.

skinny minnie
03-04-2010, 09:26
Molly: the guy I was dating finished his hike in about 3 months, which was ridiculously fast, because of time constraints and other commitments. Needless to say, I did not hike with him, although I visited him. And it really sucked... and in retrospect, it was kind of a warning sign (I mean, really? you couldn't slow down for ONE DAY?). We aren't dating any more, obviously!

I am not at all saying your experience will be like that but just keep this in mind: hiking on a tighter deadline can be stressful and can create tunnel vision. But if he hikes some longer days before you get there, he should be able to slow down for a week with you.

This past year I hiked a week long section just past the Whites with my two female friends who are thru-hikers. I hike pretty often on weekends and was able to keep up. Every day we did about 12-15 miles and it was pretty tough terrain. It was tiring but doable. And I've hiked enough in the Whites to know I could have done that too. So what I'm trying to say is that if he is willing to be flexible and slow down just a bit while hiking with you things should be fine. I have about the same fitness level/schedule as you, it seems, just with more backpacking experience. Just hike on your own as much as possible beforehand. Make sure you have the right gear and can carry it all, and you'll be good! if you can get to the Adirondacks on weekends, do it as often as possible and with a full pack - the more you hike the easier it will be. If you can't get out there do a lot of conditioning on hills.

It's less about you being able to keep up and more about him being willing to accommodate a partner. You don't want to suffer through it because that won't be fun for either of you. If he is able to plan ahead and make sure he has the schedule padded enough to take his time in the Whites, it should be a great experience.

Also fyi, the Dartmouth Outing club has a couple cabins available for rent near the AT in that area... most of them are really rustic but they are insanely cheap (10 bucks per person per night) and a nice way to relax. You can't reserve them too far ahead of time, and I would definitely play things by ear if he is on such a tight schedule, but it's a thought. You can check them out online.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

mountain squid
03-04-2010, 09:31
Concur. You are unlikely to keep up, especially in The Whites. The Whites will probably slow him down some, but he will still be able to move quicker/further than someone who hasn't hiked 1800 miles.

I wouldn't suggest hiking through The Whites with him. Not only is the terrain more difficult, but camping spots are harder to come by unless you plan to fork over $90 for a night at a hut. And don't forget the weather concerns up there...

Getting and staying in shape will help to ease your own pains while hiking, so why not? But nothing is as good as just hiking...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hellomolly
03-04-2010, 09:42
I wouldn't suggest hiking through The Whites with him. Not only is the terrain more difficult, but camping spots are harder to come by unless you plan to fork over $90 for a night at a hut. And don't forget the weather concerns up there...

I was concerned about the camping spots based on what I've read... but I'm pretty set on hiking the Whites. He's done them already so is familiar with them (hiked the Long Trail) and wants me to enjoy them as much as he already has. Plus those ridges look awesome!

Thanks for the good (and fast!) responses. Minnie, you have a good point... he keeps telling me that I shouldn't worry about keeping up because he'll slow down for me so we can both have fun and enjoy the area. I guess it's more my own pride that's driving me to get in shape for it. I don't want to hold him back!

hellomolly
03-04-2010, 09:44
Eh, ignore the reference to the Long Trail in my last post... I know that's in VT... got mixed up. He has hiked the Whites before, though.

garlic08
03-04-2010, 09:47
I was in the same situation when my wife thru hiked in '02. I thought there was no way I would ever hike more than 100 miles in my life--hah. When she begged me to join her for the last 350 miles, from Crawford Notch to Katahdin, I reluctantly agreed. She was routinely hiking consecutive 20+ miles days. I decided to try to keep up.

I started hiking a lot. I worked up to consecutive 20 mile days over a month, toughening the feet and the leg muscles. I did live near mountains to train on. When I joined her in early September, I had little problem keeping up, even starting immediately with the climbs of Mts Lincoln and Washington. We had a wonderful hike to Katahdin together, and I got hooked. Two years later we thru hiked the PCT together.

So yes, it can be done. Best of luck.

Scooby99
03-04-2010, 10:00
If you have the time, work up to 15 mile day hikes that you can finish is good time, 2.5mph average for the day and just have him carry some of your gear, honestly. That helps slow him down and helps you hike some longer days over rough terrain. If my wife decided to hike long distance with me, I would gladly do anything to get her out there with me, ymmv :)

JustaTouron
03-04-2010, 10:07
You won't be able to keep up. But he could slow down for you.

Also consider doing the following: You carry both sleeping mattresses (bulky), your personal water bottle, & a half day's worth of gorp. (Maybe also a bulky sleeping bag). He carries the rest.

You carrying 30#, him carrying 30#, he is gonna go much faster than you. You carrying 5# (day hiker wieght) him carring 55# (pack mule weight.) And it could be a lot closer, he might even have trouble keeping up with you or he might still be faster than you, but it will be a lot closer.

If he balks, tell him it is good training for future hikes, when he will be carrying 60# while smaller versions of the two of you bounce down the trail carrying in their backpacks only their favorite stuffed animial and some snacks.

If you look at the various threads on hiking with kids you will see that when parents carry the vast majority of the gear and the kids carry practilaly nothing the kids often are faster than their parents.

Blue Jay
03-04-2010, 11:34
Don't worry, he will be away from females for a very long time. If he is not willing to slow down to be with a female, he does not like them any way.:eek: You will know quite quickly, just have fun.

JAK
03-04-2010, 14:59
Train by running some and walking alot.
Get down to marathon running weight.
Pack lighter than him.
Kick his butt.

bfitz
03-04-2010, 15:13
If he's trying to complete his hike in 4.5 months he will have injured himself by that point and you'll have no problem keeping up with his limping.

bfitz
03-04-2010, 15:16
Also, bluejay makes an excellent point.

Mags
03-04-2010, 15:19
A buddy I've known since Catholic school joined me for the last week of both the AT and the PCT. He was able to do my pace FWIW. He was also active and had a similar attitude towards me in terms of pushing through things.

As others said, though, you may be able to meet half-way. You get in better shape, he slows down a little to spend sometime with his lovely girlfriend. Everyone's happy. :sun

If he's trying to complete his hike in 4.5 months he will have injured himself by that point and you'll have no problem keeping up with his limping.

Why? While a quicker than normal pace for the typical out of shape and heavily laden AT backpacker, it is by no means a quick pace. If my fat ass (30+ lbs than I weigh now) self did a just under 5 mo pace in 1998 with a (normal for the time) 30 lbs base pack weight, I don't see why a person who is in better shape with a lighter pack shouldn't do fine on a 4.5 month pace. Stay consistent, avoid a lot of partying and/or time in towns and hike. Not exactly a huge athletic challenge. :)

Blissful
03-04-2010, 15:23

If you are hiking anywhere on the trail unless it is the very beginning, really there is no chance of "keeping up" with a seasoned hiker. But ESP the Whites which are very hard. He'd have to slow way down and this could lead to problems for you both. That is, unless he is ok about slowing down. But NH and southern ME are the toughest terrain on the AT. I would NEVER join a determined, time conscious thru hiker there. You will get very discouraged, not only with him, but with the sheer difficulty of it.

I'd join him for a few days in Vermont. I liked Vermont very much myself.

JustaTouron
03-04-2010, 15:24
Don't worry, he will be away from females for a very long time. If he is not willing to slow down to be with a female, he does not like them any way.:eek: You will know quite quickly, just have fun.

Actually he won't be away from females for a very long time. But if he won't slow down for YOU but instead keeps up with a female he has been hiking with since GA....You can head home. :eek: :mad: I think you get what I am saying.

hellomolly
03-04-2010, 15:31

well that's pretty negative, lol... at this point, I'm going to disagree. he's in great hiking shape, routinely carries a 50+ pound pack during other trips... and a group of friends who hiked a few years back did it in 4 months and one week without injury.

Blissful
03-04-2010, 15:32
I was in the same situation when my wife thru hiked in '02. I thought there was no way I would ever hike more than 100 miles in my life--hah. When she begged me to join her for the last 350 miles, from Crawford Notch to Katahdin, I reluctantly agreed. She was routinely hiking consecutive 20+ miles days. I decided to try to keep up.

I started hiking a lot. I worked up to consecutive 20 mile days over a month, toughening the feet and the leg muscles. I did live near mountains to train on. When I joined her in early September, I had little problem keeping up, even starting immediately with the climbs of Mts Lincoln and Washington. We had a wonderful hike to Katahdin together, and I got hooked. Two years later we thru hiked the PCT together.

So yes, it can be done. Best of luck.

1. Yeah, but you're a guy. Guys have bigger muscle mass, more blood supply in RBCs, can carry and do more. Your wife was in condition mentally and physically after four plus months being on the trail. Big difference than in Molly's case, where she has to keep up with a three month AT hardened, young, physically fit, muscle-massed, on-a-time-schedule guy over very steep terrain.
You should be able to keep up, really, if you aren't overweight and a couch potato guy, which you weren't.

2. You and her were doing 20 mile days in NH and southern ME??? No way. :D

MotoGypsy
03-04-2010, 15:32
Thanks for the good (and fast!) responses. Minnie, you have a good point... he keeps telling me that I shouldn't worry about keeping up because he'll slow down for me so we can both have fun and enjoy the area. I guess it's more my own pride that's driving me to get in shape for it. I don't want to hold him back!

It sounds like you are in fairly good shape already so what I suggest is keep doing what you are doing, but add a little more weight. Hit the Stair Master (the evil one that is the rotating stairs) with your pack on for about 45-an hour, three times a week. Don't try to set records, what you are doing is getting those tender joint tissues ready.

Also, instead of just putting one foot in front of the other, try a few exerecises. You will notice the Stairmaster screen breaks your workouts into sections, if you select the "Cardio" setting. Alternate these:

Section 1) Wide steps-to the outside of the stairs

section 2) Criss Cross-stepping across your feet

Section 3) Side Step - Left (you will be facing the side)

Section 4) Side Step - right (face the other way)

Then recover by stepping normal.

You can easily increase the LBS by snagging a medicine ball from the gym and throwing it in your pack. I have been training with about 35-40 lbs this way and you will be surprised how great you feel when you hit the trail! Keep in mind that your pack will not be this heavy and you won't be going UP all the time!

Good luck, have fun and remember "mind over matter" :)

~Moto

hellomolly
03-04-2010, 15:36
Moto, thanks! I do use that rotating stair machine (ugh... so evil...) regularly... but only for about 20 minutes at a time. I guess I just have to suck it up and spend more time on it. I first tried using the treadmill at a steep incline but that didn't feel like hiking at all so I switched to the stairs. Also looking forward to the odd looks once I add a loaded up pack to the equation... :-? :banana

MotoGypsy
03-04-2010, 15:40
Also looking forward to the odd looks once I add a loaded up pack to the equation... :-? :banana

Let me tell you... the odd looks are the best and if you are a slight bit competitive (I am very), it is awesome to see the other people stare in awe as they bearly break a sweat on their machine of choice and you trudge on the evil machine with the pack!

Blissful
03-04-2010, 15:44
I'm sorry I don't care how many exercises you do, it will not get you ready physically and mentally for toting a backpack up the terrain (and facing the extreme weather like 70 mph winds, zero wind chill factors, sleet, etc) of the Whites and keeping up with a thru hiker. UNLESS the hiker is willing to slow way down and you both make up your minds to take it at a leisurely pace (which is great to do in this region as it is beautiful). Then there is hope along the sore muscles.

(I have hiked in the Whites several times and faced many situations, including hypothermia and all the conditions listed above, except keeping up with a thru hiker. That my husband tried to do with me in NY and CT in '07 and was rather discouraged. And it was tough for me too, as a hiker trying to make time. We did it, but it was tough)

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 15:45
Based on your description of your exercise program, I think you're in fine aerobic/cardio shape for hiking up the long steep climbs with him, expecially if he slows down a bit for you. The problem is the punishing impact of the ups and downs over New England rocks on your body i.e. knees, feet, muscles. If you can do a few full-pack practice hikes in the Catskills or Adiondacks, you'll at least be better prepared for the terrain.

jesse
03-04-2010, 15:47
If he has a brain, he'll know that hiking a week with you at any pace is far better than keeping a deadline.

bfitz
03-04-2010, 15:51
well that's pretty negative, lol... at this point, I'm going to disagree. he's in great hiking shape, routinely carries a 50+ pound pack during other trips... and a group of friends who hiked a few years back did it in 4 months and one week without injury.50 lbs eh? How long were those other trips? Hopefully he's lightening up a bit for the long haul...not that it's a necessity that he does, but his knees ad ankles will thank him for it if he does. My figuring is he'll stay in towns longer than planned and do all the other time-sucking things that other typical youngish hikers do on the trail that they all always say they're not going to do but always end up doing and then try to make up for the time lost by pushing for more miles. My observation is that people have psychological needs for human company if nothing else and always end up taking about 5-5 1/5 months regardless of hiking speed. Just an observation made after many years hiking the AT...there are of course always many exceptions...

Blissful
03-04-2010, 15:52
If he has a brain, he'll know that hiking a week with you at any pace is far better than keeping a deadline.

That's what needs to happen in a nutshell to make it work.

90% is mental. Whether hiking, dealing with issues, or getting along.

bfitz
03-04-2010, 16:03
Either way, I'm sure you'll have no trouble, he will be overjoyed to have you around no matter what his or your condition may be.

Six-Six
03-04-2010, 16:13
Let me tell you... the odd looks are the best and if you are a slight bit competitive (I am very), it is awesome to see the other people stare in awe as they bearly break a sweat on their machine of choice and you trudge on the evil machine with the pack!

I get exactly the same reaction at my gym. I been bringing my pack more and more often. The looks were for the oddity at first. Now the looks are respect and inspiration. I do the stairmaster some, but mostly the treadmill with a steeper incline works well too. Just don't hang on to the hand rails and lean back like the wimps do...:)

hellomolly
03-04-2010, 16:19
50 lbs eh? How long were those other trips? Hopefully he's lightening up a bit for the long haul...not that it's a necessity that he does, but his knees ad ankles will thank him for it if he does. My figuring is he'll stay in towns longer than planned and do all the other time-sucking things that other typical youngish hikers do on the trail that they all always say they're not going to do but always end up doing and then try to make up for the time lost by pushing for more miles. My observation is that people have psychological needs for human company if nothing else and always end up taking about 5-5 1/5 months regardless of hiking speed. Just an observation made after many years hiking the AT...there are of course always many exceptions...

You're right, those trips with a 50+ pack were not long ones - mostly day or weekend trips. His pack for this trip is 35 pounds with 5 days of food and some water. That's with winter gear (microspikes, extra layers and the like) that he'll hopefully be shipping home once it warms up.

I understand your point but as far as he's concerned, he either finishes in 4.5 months or stops hiking - he is going to grad school in the fall and really doesn't have another option, unfortunately. :( He would have started earlier but with the weather the way it is, that didn't seem like an option either.

hellomolly
03-04-2010, 16:21
Just don't hang on to the hand rails and lean back like the wimps do...:)

Aaaahahaha this made me smile... I want to go up to those people and say, you know you're burning about 1/3 of the calories you would burn if you let go, right? :rolleyes: :D