PDA

View Full Version : Day Hikes in & around Watauga Lake in Elizabethton, TN

sweetpeastu
03-04-2010, 10:46
Can anyone tell me where I should park to day hike the A.T. in this area? I'm going back for a college alumni thing and would like to do some hiking. I'm not sure where to get on the AT in the area ....Also, if you could tell me of any scenic spots or if any other trails intersect the AT in this area I'd be much obliged :)

Kerosene
03-04-2010, 10:53
You could hike what I believe is the old route of the AT from Hampton to Laurel Fork Gorge and its waterfall. You pick up the trail somewhere east of town on US-321, and it intersects with the AT (which heads straight up to Pond Flats from Watauga Lake at US-321 before eventually dropping down to meet Laurel Fork). Looks like a very easy 5-mile stroll along the creek to the Falls.

dmax
03-04-2010, 10:53
The parking area for the lake is on the lake side right when you get to the lake. It is right before the shook branch picnic area. If your headed to the lake from Hampton.

ANother great spot in the Hampton area is Laurel Falls. The rode splits in Hampton going off to the right. Dennis Cove road I think. Fallow it up a few miles and you'll see the parking area on the left for the AT. Fallow the traial north for the falls.

Roan Mt and Carvers Gap is only a few more miles up the hwy. Instead of turning off at Hampton, keep going straight. Around 15 mins or so you'll be at the park to Roan Mt.

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2010, 11:17
Just be advised there is still quite a bit of snow in the higher elevations at the moment.

For the AT there are tons of trailheads. There is parking at Iron Mtn Gap on Wilbur Dam Road, and Shooks Branch on US321. Hampton there is parking at the Laurel Forge Gorge blue blaze lot (mile walk to the AT) on 321. And up the mountain on Dennis Cove Road. If you drive another 30 minutes up TN91, you can get on at Cross Mountain. Carvers Gap at Roan Mountain. Scenic spots : Beauty Spot and Big Bald outside of Erwin; Roan Mtn & the Humps; Laurel Fork Falls; Jones Falls; Osborne Farm.

The only places I would not advise to park and leave your car for a long while is 19E going into the Buck Mountain area (Walnut Mtn Road/USFS 293/Buck Mountain Road). Known vandalism spots. At 19E, you can park at Mtn Harbour for a fee (day parking there might not be any).

For other day hikes, there Coons Den Falls (just immediately past Laurel Fork Lodge; loop it with the AT) and Laurel Fork Trail at the campground. Further up Dennis Cove Road after the road turns gravel, you will come to a small intersection. Park here, and look over a couple earthen mounds across from the intersection there is Pond Mtn trail goes down to Watauga Lake at 321. Its a tough little trail (lakeside trailhead has been relocated). Or you can go right, and down whats called Frog Level Road to the middle section of Laurel Fork Trail.

sweetpeastu
03-04-2010, 11:29
19E at Carver's Gap is still safe for parking, right?

I won't be going till April...I'll hoping the white stuff will have melted by then, surely! (or at least most of it) :)

Thanks for all the info.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 11:32
Carvers Gap is safe. 19E is not

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2010, 11:37
19E at Carver's Gap is still safe for parking, right?

I won't be going till April...I'll hoping the white stuff will have melted by then, surely! (or at least most of it) :)

Thanks for all the info.
Carvers is perfectly safe for day hikes. There was an incident long ago where someone was parked overnight. But I wouldn't leave anything valuable in view. Only advisory is that the gate up to the gardens and Cloudland will be closed until June.

sweetpeastu
03-04-2010, 11:37
i think Im mixing up the roads. Thanks Lone Wolf :)

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2010, 11:40
19E to up to USFS 293 (Bitter End), you can leave your car for 5 minutes and come back with your window smashed in or tires slashed.