PDA

View Full Version : Best places to take zero days???

Buckeye Hike
03-04-2010, 11:33
Just wondering from former thru-hikers where are some good places to take a zero day?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 11:34
Gatlinburg for sure
NOC
Damascus

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 11:37
not a thruhiker but dam ass kiss.

steve43
03-04-2010, 11:38
all of the above plus pearisburg and daleville

Buckeye Hike
03-04-2010, 11:39
dam ass kiss sounds good...thinking of staying in the doyel hotel...For sure not Gatlinburg...been there once and never again

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 11:41
...For sure not Gatlinburg...been there once and never again

you say that now but when you arrive at Newfound gap cold, wet and hungry and offered a ride to Gatlinburg, you'll go. :cool:

RedneckRye
03-04-2010, 11:41
In the woods is one of the absolute best places for a zero. Totally relaxing and very cheap.
Other than that, take a zero wherever your body and mind tell you they need one.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 11:44
In the woods is one of the absolute best places for a zero. Totally relaxing and very cheap.

yeah but in reality almost nobody does that. especially thru-hikers

mweinstone
03-04-2010, 11:45
damascus or bust
things to do
annoy tow
annoy wolf
annoy dave
annoy jeff
annoy everyone at dots but pam
annoy pam seperatly
annoy serial
annoy gypsy
annoy the staff of the dollar store,kings,post office,sundog,all others.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 11:49
Harpers Ferry - soak in the history, go tubing on the Shenandoah, visit DC via MARC (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Brunswick_Jan10.pdf)for a few days if you have the time.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 13:10
Max Patch, Grayson Highlands, Laurel Falls.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2010, 13:28
had others but
Neel Gap
NOC(never zero'd here, but i should of)could backtrack to the last shelter instead of paying to stay? i love the river great times
Hot Springs(took 7 in a row one time)free AC room all week,my dog loved it. and one of my favorite diner's
miss J's
Bobs (trail work for a day)
Damascus
Daleville
Waynesboro
Dalton
Bromley shelter(spend day in M.Center)i have never done this but would be a cheaper way to zero and get your town grub on.
Packrats hostel
Gorham
sometimes in a motel/pub to watch football sat/sun.(depended who was playing)
zero'd to play softball tournament once in VA. and a game at graymoor with the convicts
i usually prefered a motel over hostels(depended were i was)just better for me and my dog!

Blissful
03-04-2010, 14:03
we took one in Franklin
Hot Springs
Damascus
Harpers Ferry
Hanover
Gorham

and home for a few days :)

stumpknocker
03-04-2010, 14:30
My favorite town to take a zero is the very hiker friendly town of Waynesboro, VA. The town is spread out a little, but the people that live there and welcome hikers have a lot to do with that being my favorite Trail town.

My favorite place along the entire AT to take a zero is at White House Landing in the 100 Mile Wilderness in ME. They let you use a canoe to paddle around Pemadumcook Lake. I usually see moose and bald eagles and have even spotted some baby pine martens playing along the shore one time. Paddle back at dusk and you'll have an excellent view of Katahdin fading away into the darkness. Did I mention the handmade one pound burgers and the pizza Linda and Bill serve?? :)

The_Saint
03-04-2010, 14:56
all of the above plus pearisburg and daleville

Couldn't disagree more, sorry, but these towns are so spread out.

FRANKLIN
HELEN
DUNCANNON
LINCOLN
ANDOVER

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 15:01
My favorite town to take a zero is the very hiker friendly town of Waynesboro, VA. The town is spread out a little, but the people that live there and welcome hikers have a lot to do with that being my favorite Trail town.

My favorite place along the entire AT to take a zero is at White House Landing in the 100 Mile Wilderness in ME. They let you use a canoe to paddle around Pemadumcook Lake. I usually see moose and bald eagles and have even spotted some baby pine martens playing along the shore one time. Paddle back at dusk and you'll have an excellent view of Katahdin fading away into the darkness. Did I mention the handmade one pound burgers and the pizza Linda and Bill serve?? :)
I second White House Landing for all the reasons mentioned. Absolutely gorgeous lake, great food, chance to grab a shower and relax without the great intrusion of civilization.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 18:35
I second White House Landing for all the reasons mentioned. Absolutely gorgeous lake, great food, chance to grab a shower and relax without the great intrusion of civilization.
my and gypsy stayed 3 days. in our tent next to the lake. glady paid $2 per beer

Pony
03-04-2010, 18:45
I took a nero at Standing Bear Farm. It was quite fun and relaxing. Also NOC, Hot Springs and Damascus.

JAK
03-04-2010, 18:46
Zero days take on a whole new meaning this time of year. Brrrrr. :)

Jim Adams
03-05-2010, 00:14
Any beautiful camp site near water...better yet if swimming water.
Any great view near water.
Anywhere that you can't hear road traffic.
Anywhere near a beer distributor.lol
Any town with friendly residents.

geek

singing wind
03-05-2010, 02:03
Boiling Springs, PA is a great alternative to Duncannon if you're looking for a quieter place and good Italian food - overall a nice town where you can pick up a few supplies and chill out. The local pool has shower facilities for a small fee and the bulletin board at the ATC office is a great local resource.

Bronk
03-05-2010, 02:04
Rock Gap shelter...its right about at the 100 mile mark and you'll probably be ready for a break...and the blue blaze to the Wasilik poplar is right there...a nice short blue blaze.

Max Patch...you won't want to leave...I got there early afternoon and stayed until well after dark...some of the best views and stargazing.

Grayson Highlands...I spent a whole day there reading Peter Jenkins A Walk Across America. Besides the wild ponies, the deer are so tame there they beg like dogs.

Erwin/Nolichucky River...just past the campground coming out of Erwin there is a little creek with a wooden bridge...I camped there 3 days after resupplying in Erwin.

Between Elk Park and Dennis Cove there's a flat spot in the middle of all those ups and downs in a creek bottom that's really a nice area...I bought some ears of corn and a canteloupe at a produce stand in Elk Park and carried them in there with a couple of beers.

Sarver Hollow shelter...there's an old homestead site there that's pretty neat to explore.

Tinker Cliffs...awesome views.

Daleville...don't zero in Daleville itself...but there are some nice views and rock formations in the few miles before Daleville.

Bland...the last couple miles before you get into Bland there are some nice views...there's a spot on the edge there big enough for one tent with a tiny fire ring...you'll need to carry water.

Spy Rock...you'll need to bring some water.

Its much easier to zero on the trail if you have some real food. I usually carried 3 or 4 days worth of extra food in case I decided to zero for a couple days if I found a good spot. Many times I'd get up in the morning and hike a mile and find a cool spot and just quit for the day and set up my tent. You can do that if you're carrying extra food. Hard to do if you're not.

Ideally, you could resupply and then zero on the trail just outside of towns and thus be able to eat some real food on your zero day without having to carry it too far...but it seemed to me like more often than not the cool spots ended up being just before you got into a town, so I started carrying extra food.

But be forewarned, using my method it took me 4 months to get to Waynesboro, and I'd bet up to a third of those days were zero days...with the vast majority of them taken on the trail.

singing wind
03-05-2010, 02:05
P.S. But honestly, some of the best zero days were taken at scenic spots on or near the trail. Well worth carrying the extra supplies.

fiddlehead
03-05-2010, 05:32
The only one I would really plan would be Hanover I believe.
The rest depend on my body telling me if it needs a rest, weather, or who I'm with and what's going on.
No plans are the best.

Grampie
03-05-2010, 10:59
The cabin at Upper Goose Pond. Nice bunks, free breakfast, swimming and a canoe.:sun

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2010, 11:14
The only one I would really plan would be Hanover I believe.
The rest depend on my body telling me if it needs a rest, weather, or who I'm with and what's going on.
No plans are the best.
in 99' i rolled into hanover NH. and my money drop was not there, as i'm walking away from the postmaster, he stops me and hands me a letter from 3 hikers/doctors i met back in georgia. they followed my progress, and the letter i received included 200.00 cash great double zero:cool:stop!

Cookerhiker
03-05-2010, 12:05
in 99' i rolled into hanover NH. and my money drop was not there, as i'm walking away from the postmaster, he stops me and hands me a letter from 3 hikers/doctors i met back in georgia. they followed my progress, and the letter i received included 200.00 cash great double zero:cool:stop!

Now that's true Trail Magic!

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2010, 12:44
Now that's true Trail Magic!yes sir, it truely was. pizza parlor,lous diner,subway twice, 2 movies & a pack full of groceries leaving town.

Jester2000
03-05-2010, 17:16
Other than that, take a zero wherever your body and mind tell you they need one.

yeah but in reality almost nobody does that. especially thru-hikers

Dismal Falls. Beautiful water, and there's a store you can buy beer from within walking distance.

Plus there's currently a slightly smaller chance of getting shot in that area.

What better place for a zero?

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 18:32
All it needs is a more appealing name

Pickleodeon
03-05-2010, 19:31
Nobody mentioned the Inn at Long Trail in VT. It's a little pricey, but totally worth it, especially if it's a weekend night. Live music, awesome food, really cozy little skiing place right off the trail. One of my favorite zeros.

Lilred
03-05-2010, 20:31
Nobody mentioned Elmer's either. Great place to zero in Hot Springs

Jester2000
03-07-2010, 00:26
All it needs is a more appealing name

Nah. Dismal Falls is a great name. Keeps the people who take things at face value away. They see the name and they keep moving on by. Kind of like Iceland.---=

Jester2000
03-07-2010, 00:27
Nah. Dismal Falls is a great name. Keeps the people who take things at face value away. They see the name and they keep moving on by. Kind of like Iceland.---=

That wasn't an emoticon, by the way. It was a cat walking on my keyboard.

TOW
03-10-2010, 17:26
damascus or bust
things to do
annoy tow
annoy wolf
annoy dave
annoy jeff
annoy everyone at dots but pam
annoy pam seperatly
annoy serial
annoy gypsy
annoy the staff of the dollar store,kings,post office,sundog,all others.I agree, you do not want to annoy Pam at Dot's, as far as that goes I would advise that no one annoys Dot either....

Class2010AT
03-11-2010, 22:33
Boiling springs, pa. stay at the allenberry hotel, you get a room with 2 double beds and a breakfast buffet for 25$, they also offer a prime rib all you can eat for like 13 bucks. cheap drinks at bar and free food at bar.

srestrepo
03-12-2010, 01:28
im not a thru hiker, but i can't say enough about a dip in the water at upper goose pond. its closest to my house so i make frequent stops there for overnights. i love that place. i always pack extra food when the thru's are out... i know you guys appreciate it.

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 11:17
Max Patch
Hot Springs
Kincora (sleep in the treehouse)
Damascus
The Creeper Trail
Mau Har side trail in mid summer, swimmin holes
On the trail just before coming out of the woods into Daleville, Matty knows where Im talking about
Daleville (pool)
Waynesboro, VA
Duncannon during the 4th
Green Mountain House in Manchester Center VT
Rutland VT
PackRats in Glencliffe
Anywhere in Maine

Jack Tarlin
03-12-2010, 11:21
Overmountain Shelter, NC

10-K
03-12-2010, 11:53
Lickdale, PA. All of the below you can walk to or be at in 5 minutes or less:

1. Clean rooms
2 Good washerr and dryer facilities
3. Indoor pool and hot tub
4. Better than average cont. breakfast
5. 24/7 coffee

1. Lickdale Campground General Store (hand dipped shakes and resupply)

1. McDonalds
2. Wendy's
3 Subway
4. Dairy Queen
5. Chester's Fried Chicken
6. Blimpies
7. Sbarros
8. Dunkin Donuts

(This might not have been as fantastic if the hotel in Port Clinton hadn't been closed the week of July 4th. I hit Lickdale on day 6 w/o a shower - it was like heaven and I was ready for all of the above.)

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 11:58
Overmountain Shelter, NC

Yes!:sun Especially on those spring days where you can day trip up the Humps

CrumbSnatcher
03-12-2010, 12:00
don't miss grassy ridge!

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 12:03
don't miss grassy ridge!

Aww yea. Great place. That whole section is the crown jewel of the southern AT

10-K
03-12-2010, 12:03
Max Patch
Hot Springs
Kincora (sleep in the treehouse)
Damascus
The Creeper Trail
Mau Har side trail in mid summer, swimmin holes
On the trail just before coming out of the woods into Daleville, Matty knows where Im talking about
Daleville (pool)
Waynesboro, VA
Duncannon during the 4th
Green Mountain House in Manchester Center VT
Rutland VT
PackRats in Glencliffe
Anywhere in Maine

By chance were you in Duncannon this past 4th? I was - I think me and Tiptoe were the only sober people in town.

CrumbSnatcher
03-12-2010, 12:07
Aww yea. Great place. That whole section is the crown jewel of the southern AT
thats what i think too! i could rehike erwin to damascus forever! and it wouldn't be enough

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 19:03
my and gypsy stayed 3 days. in our tent next to the lake. glady paid $2 per beer

its $6 last summer for a can of bud

Nobody mentioned the Inn at Long Trail in VT. It's a little pricey, but totally worth it, especially if it's a weekend night. Live music, awesome food, really cozy little skiing place right off the trail. One of my favorite zeros.

yes, best folks there, also if you go up the LT, the hideaway inn in waitsfield...best people, bar, restaurant, they'll do your wash and drive you back up the hill...ntm the troutcam they have installed in the pond!!

jersey joe
03-12-2010, 19:39
my answer is NOWHERE...didn't take any zeros on my thru and quite enjoyed spending every night in a different place.

vonfrick
03-12-2010, 19:51
i like the nero idea...do your wash...take a bath..drink some fresh milk and get the f out...screw "civilization"

Hikingsasquatch
03-13-2010, 00:16
THE SHORT LIST
Helen
NOC
Fontana Dam
Hot Springs
Erwin
Damascus
Pearisburg
Waynesboro
Big Meadows Wayside, SNP
Front Royal
Harper's Ferry
Duncannon
Delaware Water Gap
Williamstown
Bennington
Manchester Center
My favorite: Hanover
North Woodstock
Rangeley
Monson

Bearpaw
03-13-2010, 00:25
Franklin!
Hot Springs
Damascus
Delaware Gap
Gorham
Monson

Good towns, good times.

Backcountry?
Roan highlands are a definite good option.
Grayson Highlands too.

betsi
03-14-2010, 00:51
all of the above. especially duncannon; green mountain house in manchester center, vt; the inn @ long trail; elmer's in hot springs; rebecca's pub & laundromat in monson; pierce pond; and...some of the shelters in southern pa (south of boiling springs) are amazing (esp. tumbling run shelters, which, btw, has the cleanest privies on the AT).

betsi
03-14-2010, 00:52
oh, don't forget beauty spot.