PDA

View Full Version : Methods of celebration at Katahdin

Flash Hand
10-01-2004, 00:47
After reading several threads in archives trying to find what kind of methods do successful thru-hikers celebrate their northbound trek. I don't know if Maine have some places or bars to celebrate. Is there any things other than registering the 2,100 milers to celebrate?

I have thoughts about trying to find a nearby store along the AT, before climbing up the Katahdin, to buy champagne or beers, but it would weight a ton to carry if purchased in Monson, (I guess a last place to get some champagne). I have thoughts of removing a lot of things from pack that I wouldn't need to bring up to the summit, and to make a room for some beers or champagne.

I don't think there would be a liquor stores or store selling alcohol is close to Katahdin. I believe Monson, Maine would be the last place to buy champagne or alcohol drinks before reaching Katahdin.. but it will be too far to carry in the pack.

I don't know if post office allows us pack in beers or champagne in the bounce box or mail drops... if they allowed that, would Baxter State Park accept bounce box or mail drops?

Please don't bring in disagreement to how behavior after drinking would harm others.. We already know that in the previous thread.

Also, is there any good places in Millinocket to celebrate your successful thru hike?

Flash Hand :jump

A-Train
10-01-2004, 01:09
The whole last day was a celebration for me. A celebration of the journey and of friendships made and being able to feel the power of the mountain so close. Being on top of K was amazing, but once up there, it was over.

A celebration ensued at Abol Bridge store at 8 am after a short but beautiful dawn hike from Hurd Brook. A group of about 10 of us ate and drank copious amounts of donuts and milk and played wiffle ball until we were shued away by the owners of the store. A real leisurely afternoon to the Birches, stopping to swim at very cold Little Niagra Falls and meandering and stopping often near every beautiful stream, pond and lake in Baxter. Sitting around the Birches early was a great feeling. I'm glad no one went to Millinocket. One last camp in the woods at the shelters. Passing around the last register, making entries, reading what others before us had wrote, seeing what friends finished. Exchanging stories and having one last mac n cheese meal.

Getting up at 2am, throwing on a headlamp, shivering in the cold morning air, following the relection from my light on the trail runners in front of me. Stopping to fill water coming right out of the trail near the falls, not being able to see what I'm doing. Watching the stars as I climb, getting an occasional open view on the way up, wondering if this is safe and continuing on anyway. Finally getting to the open, the cliffs, the climbing with a dark blue sky still, sun eventually coming up around the peak and helping me see where I'm placing my feet. Having the Tablelands exist and form in front of my eyes. Watching Mt Jam hike 50, now 100 yards in front of me. Spreading out of each other, consciously or not, so that we may all have our own moment. Having the entire hike flash before my eyes like a highlight film and hearing yells and screams before I can see the sign, trying to block it out and stay in my own world. Finally having the sign come into view, as the lump in my throat grows bigger and I see friends smiling. Huge cheese grin. I've made it, but its over.

The celebration for me was a pint can of PBR, very warm, but very delicious. Yes it was 6am when I finished it. Taking pictures, everyone having their moment, Poptart with costumes and nude too. 90 minutes on top, everyone just sitting staring at the range around us, down the Knifes Edge and Chimney Pond and wow, that must be the wilderness and Whitecap. Gloves and Hats on, wind roaring, no sign of day-hikers. Life is grand, but is it?

I could go on forever...but everyone has their own moment and mine is up.

There are bars, restraunts in Millinocket. After a good chinese dinner, a group of us went out attempting to celebrate. It lasted maybe a beer or two until everyone was forcing themselves to stay awake. That mountain wil take a whole lot of out you, physically, but emotionally. For me, I knew that I'd be parting ways in the morning, not only with a whole set of new friends, but with the lifestyle I knew and loved so well for 5 months. I had already had a proper celebration, in the woods.

Mountain Dew
10-01-2004, 01:21
A-Train .... GREAT POST brother !!!! It brought back so many memory's of my hike up the great mountain. I managed to get three Mountain Dew to the top for my pictures ! Mountain Dew, Code Red ( another Mtn. Dew flavor), and the orange flavor dew. Goodtimes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap

walkin' wally
10-01-2004, 07:18
Wow. Indeed a great post. I hope to experience the same thing in about 5 years. It sounds like everyone was having the full range of emotions after ending a great hike. Five months of traveling to arrive at that one last day. I can only imagine what it must be like to interact with the trail people and share the adventures you and they had.

Hammock Hanger
10-01-2004, 08:50
There were a number of hikers on the summit who had mini-bottles of champange. I have no idea were they got them. Some hikers who had family come to Baxter also had champange. I managed a Fresca. It was a wonderful momment in time.

There are no real fancy restaurants in Milinocket. There is Appalachian Cafe, closes around 8 pm. Scootics, a step above a dinner but does serve steak and has a bar.

Sue/HH

Lone Wolf
10-01-2004, 08:52
There's a strip bar in Medway.

MOWGLI
10-01-2004, 09:00
The contrast of feeling the joy & satisfaction of completing the trail - with the knowledge that the hike was over - is quite powerful. It was for me anyway. A-Train's post brought some of that back for me. In that respect, the experience for me was somewhat bittersweet.

The one thing that comes back over & over was just how abruptly the hike ended. I hadn't really thought about it ending. At the last shelter before Abol Bridge, I was reading entries with folks talking about this being the "last shelter". I sat there for a moment, kinda puzzled, with an expression on my face that probably said "huh?". Was my hike really about to end? Intellectually I knew that. Emotionally, I was not prepared.

At any rate, for me, once at the top of Katahdin, there were no tears, no shouting, no special beverage or food item. Just a deep sense of satisfaction, and the knowledge that my wife & daughter would be waiting for me in Millinockett. I sat there for a while and thought about the many people I had met along the way. The many hikers that I had lost contact with - wondering if "so & so" was still on the trail. I thought about my fleeting encounters with southbounders, and how different their experience must have been with Katahdin as their starting point. After the obligatory photos, I headed down the mountain, and out of the park.

We hung around for a day and picked a bunch of blueberries (it was August 22). I guess about the only thing I'd change is that I would have stayed in Maine a bit longer with my family. Maybe stayed along the coast for a few days. That wasn't really possible at the time though. No regrets.

Little Bear GA-ME 2000

rocket04
10-01-2004, 10:22
One of the guys I finished with hitched to 3 different towns from Monson in order to find some Tequila so he could make margaritas at the top. Relax, we weren't getting drunk at the top, we had a few and were satisfied. It was quite a nice touch! I think the store at Abol may have some champagne, can't quite remember...

Like others said though, nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment and kinship you get at the end of the hike. A bunch of us hung out all afternoon near the ranger station where the picnic tables are. We just lied down in the sun on a beautiful day and reminisced about our days. It was a really pleasant nice day. No partying, just lying down on the grass and enjoying our last moments together.

MOWGLI
10-01-2004, 10:46
Perhaps this belongs in the Rules & Regulations thread :D

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/allrules.html

Mags
10-01-2004, 11:37
My last day on the AT was very memorable. The week started off very well. My good friend Tim joined me for the last week on the trail. Not only was he the person who I've done much of my previous backpacking with, but we also went to the same Catholic elementary school together. Much history there!

Woke up at 5AM that day. Was so excited! Was the same feeling when I was eight years on Christmas morning.

Made it to Katahdin Stream Campground at 7AM. In the parking lot there were my good friends and my youngest brother. They had driven up to Baxter State Park the night before to do the final climb with me. They really found my beard "interesting" and that oh-so-special hiker odor really interesting.

We all started off together, but when I reached the Table Lands and saw the summit sign from a distance really kicked into high gear. All but my brother and Tim fell behind.

Reach the summit sign and let out a loud scream. What was a dream was now a reality.

On the summit my friends had packed in a feast. Bagles, cheese, cold cuts, roasted peppers, fresh fruit. Squanto (who summited that day as well) said "Your friends packed in an Italian deli!" My buddie Leo bought me a bottle of Dom Perignon. First and only time I ever had that expensive a bottle of wine!
My brother Steve had brought a Burger King hat (King of the mountain he said!) and some really bad stogies. Reminded me of why I don't smoke.

Leo also packed in a bottle of "sparkling wine" to douse me down with. They said I smelled better reaking of cheap booze!

Oh yes, and I packed in afull size watermelon. Nothing like carrying large produce up a 4000' ft climb. :) The day hikers were a bit confused when this beared, smelly dude handed out slices of watermelon.

Was one of the most memorable and happy days of my life. Sure it will continue to be on my better memories as the years go by.

I have some pics at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsAT98/ahs
(On the Big K)
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsAT98/ahu
--Being sprayed with cheap booze!
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsAT98/aht
--Watermelon on Katahdin
And most importantly, the peopel who shared the day with me:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsAT98/ahw

These pics are from before my good camera, but still give the idea.
I am thinking of re-scanning them in at some point. Until then, you get the idea. :)

Footslogger
10-01-2004, 14:39
Wow ...A-Train hit the nail on the head !! October 9th 2003 was my second summit of Katahdin, but the first time after having hiked the entire AT. Whole lotta mixed emotions on that clear and crisp day in October. Amazed at having lived my dream, grateful for the friendships and experiences during that 6 months of my life, glad to have it behind me, glad to be headed home to my wife ...BUT truly torn about it being OVER.

Like A-Train, for me the majority of the celebration that day was somewhat internal and introspective. There were the hugs and high 5's at the sign but the real celebration was personal and silent.

In the excitement of having "made it", the thought of a celebration drink had totally slipped my mind that morning. I was about 100 feet from the sign and I remember hearing my trail name shouted out by a large group of hikers who had already gotten there. Damn ...I felt like a rock star or someone famous for that brief moment. As I got closer to the sign, a hiker on his way down the mountain approached and stopped. It was none other than Baltimore Jack, who I have known for quite a while now and with whom I had shared many a mile in 2003. Jack reached in his pocket and pulled out a bottle with a few remaining sips of Jim Beam (what else ??) and handed it to me. Now, Jack is rarely at a loss for words but on that morning he just looked me straight in the eyes and said ..."Good Hike, Slogger" !!

Moments later I was at the sign, sharing thoughts and feelings with the others who had summitted that day. My hike was over and my dream had been realized. It just doesn't get much better than that. That's how I celebrated.

'Nuff said ...and thanks again Jack, for the words and the nip.

Pencil Pusher
10-01-2004, 22:13
How's this for a summit celebration? http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=65079 Long sleeveless black dress, high heels, combed hair and holding a glass of champagne on the summit...

Flash Hand
10-01-2004, 23:29
How's this for a summit celebration? http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=65079 Long sleeveless black dress, high heels, combed hair and holding a glass of champagne on the summit...

Way to go Lonesome Dove. Met her a few times on the trail in the southern terminus and Neels Gap, and saw her the last time at trails day. Congratulation!

Flash Hand :jump

Rain Man
10-01-2004, 23:44

Yeah ... but if she had been a late starter and slow hiker like me, she would have had bright sunshine and blue skies later that day!!! LOL

Just pulling her leg a tad, fer beating me up that hill.
:jump
Gotta admit, that wuz one classy way for a NOBOer to celebrate summiting the Big K.

Rain Man

TJ aka Teej
10-02-2004, 09:51
would Baxter State Park accept bounce box or mail drops?
Also, is there any good places in Millinocket to celebrate your successful thru hike? Great posts, Slogger, Mags, A-Train and all!
No maildrops in the Park (your last one is White House Landing), Linda's store at Abol Bridge sells beer. The state campground across from her store is a traditional place for almost-at-Katahdin celebrations. Last year Undetermined, Snort, Clover, and Sumac were treated to lobsters there. Sometimes it's where nobos pile up waiting for good summiting weather. Katahdin Stream Campground has a nice day use picnic area with several covered tables and fire rings. Last year Sherpa (a Millinocker) threw a big cookout-palooza to celebrate his finish.
There's a really nice restaurant at the New England Outdoor Center http://www.riverdriversrestaurant.com/, several pubs downtown including the Blue Ox Saloon, and there are some wicked nice log cabins http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4116/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/1 at the end of the 100 mile wilderness (less than $90/night, all with propane heat and stoves, firepits, privys, bunks for eight, and outstanding views of Katahdin) for rent by Katahdin Forest 877 622 2467. The one on Sunday Pond is just a few miles from the Baxter Gate, and there are two about a mile (as the crow flies) from the Hurd Brook shelter. Since being listed in the Companion they've been rented out several times by families meeting hikers at Baxter.
TJ