PDA

View Full Version : updating trailjournals

Roughin' It
03-04-2010, 12:29
So I have a question that I feel dumb for asking.
How do people update their trailjournals so frequently? Some people have a trail journal for every single day of their hike, and not just the AT, but even the CDT... Do people who do this use smartphones to search for signals wherever possible, or do they upload multiple days worth of journals in one sitting, putting the appropriate date on every entry? I would like to update my journal as frequently as possible on my hike this year, but i don't have a smartphone or anything like that, so do i just journal several entries when i get into a town?

- mitch

Blissful
03-04-2010, 14:05
Some can do it from their cell phones (though I am not technical enough to do it). I kept a handwritten journal and when I got to a computer, I did several at once.

Mags
03-04-2010, 14:33
Smart phones, Peek, pocketmail in past years.

Interesting info:

http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html

d'shadow
03-04-2010, 14:36
Some people find a transcriber. I would receive an entry via text message and type in onto the TJ page for that day. I also received pictures via phone and posted them as often as I received them. The journal entries stayed current for readers and it was great fun for me.

sbhikes
03-04-2010, 21:01
Some people write their journals on paper each night and then transcribe them later. I hiked the PCT and found Internet cafes, trail angels with computers, hotels with computer etc. along the way to post my journal. There's probably similar facilities on the AT.