PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast on trail

David@whiteblaze
03-04-2010, 13:23
Goin' hiking again (hopefully) and I need a quick breakfast for the trail that can be pre-packaged in the time it takes from your answer to midnight... also, the reason I asked is that I'm tired of oatmeal and granola...

white_russian
03-04-2010, 13:49
Bagels. Its not much more exciting than oatmeal and granola though.

Hokie
03-04-2010, 14:15
Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with powered milk. If you want it to double as coffee caffeine fix, add an instant coffee mix you like for a mocha flavor and consider heating it up on cold mornings. Good cold as well.

jesse
03-04-2010, 14:37
I like instant cheese grits with summer sausage thrown in. Cook and eat in a freezer bag.

budforester
03-04-2010, 15:08
Bagels. Its not much more exciting than oatmeal and granola though.

Anybody tried making their own bagels? I pack the "flavored" ones occasionally for breakfast; sometimes plain ones for lunch. It occurs to me that one might get creative with add- in goodies and cook up something that carries easily, lasts well, and packs some extra nutrition.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 15:24
A hot cereal with everything but oatmeal: mix together beforehand a little cracked wheat, ground flaxmeal, spice(s) of your choice e.g. ginger, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruit. Cook it a few minutes, then add couscous, cover the pot for a few minutes and enjoy!

David@whiteblaze
03-04-2010, 16:47
Bagels sound good... Sorry, I live in the only part of the north that was relocated south, so I'm not much for grits...

applejack
03-04-2010, 17:11
wake up, what to eat first? i can never figure that out, so's i just skip the first and go right to the second er third. i almost never, at home or trail, eat breakfast food. it's alway lunch er dinner food. much more choices, much more like the food i like. at home, an italian sub, roast beef sandwich with barbecue sauce, leftover chinese food. on the trail, a dinner. fer me that's usually a mary jane's pasta with protein- tuna or chicken. i mean ur hikin, u gotta give ur body some fuel, not just bagels er instant oatmeal!

morgan
03-04-2010, 17:28
I mix grape nuts cereal, powdered milk and dried fruit at home in ziplock bags. Just add water and eat.

Ladytrekker
03-04-2010, 17:37
Anybody tried making their own bagels? I pack the "flavored" ones occasionally for breakfast; sometimes plain ones for lunch. It occurs to me that one might get creative with add- in goodies and cook up something that carries easily, lasts well, and packs some extra nutrition.

I have actually made bagels at home and the large pretzels. You use a rising dough and you could put anything you want in them. With bagels and pretzels after the second rising you have to boil them that puts the skin on them and then you bake them. But this would not be a bad idea you could put alot more dried fruit or nuts into them.

Ladytrekker
03-04-2010, 17:39
Kashi golean crunch with powdered milk added and then just add water. This cereal has 9 gram of protein in it. And you can eat it like granola if you want.

Jonnycat
03-04-2010, 17:54
Oatmeal with two eggs, wheat bran, and dehydrated apple. Followed by CIB.

I put the boiling water in the bag, and by the time camp is broken, it is ready to be eaten.

TD55
03-04-2010, 18:01
.......BACON.....with anything!!!!!!

white_russian
03-04-2010, 18:50
Kashi golean crunch with powdered milk added and then just add water. This cereal has 9 gram of protein in it. And you can eat it like granola if you want.
One time I mixed some Kashi golean crunch with some peanut brittle for my granola. It was the best mix I have ever had.

K2
03-04-2010, 18:50
Who said breakfast had to be breakfast food? The sky's the limit.

sarbar
03-04-2010, 19:28
They are fun but time consuming to make. Quite tasty though!

Blissful
03-04-2010, 19:46
Your age? Pop tarts. :)

vonfrick
03-04-2010, 20:02
cold creal and carnation just made with water...

i use my 1L pot, froot loops and 2 packages of the chocolate flavor, warrghy likes the strawberry kind...plain powdered milk is nasty.

David@whiteblaze
03-05-2010, 00:08
Ok, question about bagels (also, time is until 3:30 tomorrow) If I was boiling 2 cups hot water for hot chocolate on a heiny pot w/ lid, and set a bagel on top, would the bagel get soggy or warm or both? and past that, what's the best way to "toast" a bagel on trail?

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-05-2010, 00:49
Pack of frosted strawberry poptarts, 2 oatmeal packs of maple flavor, and instant coffee.

climber2377
03-05-2010, 01:00
Ok, question about bagels (also, time is until 3:30 tomorrow) If I was boiling 2 cups hot water for hot chocolate on a heiny pot w/ lid, and set a bagel on top, would the bagel get soggy or warm or both? and past that, what's the best way to "toast" a bagel on trail?
i have a big enough pot, i butter the bagel and put it face down on the pot. if i have no butter, then i drop in on the pot dry. add salt and oil. or hot sauce, pepper, or maybe the 32 hiney can if its a small enough bagel, like a little lenders. does your pot have a lid? or as someone said before cook it in bacon grease. i think trail food is all about mixing stuff together and getting flavor on fuel for the body.

also, who says pop tarts have an age limit? they are not a hasbro game.

David@whiteblaze
03-05-2010, 01:07
Well, it's cold enough, I could hang some cream cheese in a little ziplock w/ ice and set it down in a stream when I camp, bagels and cream cheese = my fave. Also, I got a big enough pot, I just don't want an extra-dry bagel. how would you "toast" it?

Bronk
03-05-2010, 01:21
Cream cheese won't go bad for a few days...especially in this cold weather...I wouldn't worry about ice or putting it in a stream. I use the lid of my pot to make grilled cheese sandwiches...if your lid is flat like mine you could use it to toast a bagel...

The problem with making your own bagels is that any homemade bread product is going to go stale very quickly...store bought bread has preservatives in it that make it last for a much longer time...a homemade bagel will be stale within a couple days.

My favorite bagel recipe is one of my own creation...take a plain bagel recipe and substitute flat beer for the water and honey for the sugar and throw a pound of crumbled bacon in there.

Panzer1
03-05-2010, 01:27
Of all the things I like about backpacking, breakfast on the trail s what I like the best. Which is why I don't normally like a "quick" breakfast, I like a good breakfast. I only do a fast breakfast when I need to make time.

Panzer

LaurieAnn
03-05-2010, 08:52
Wraps with pb and jam and a sprinkle of granola in there for crunch.

Dicentra
03-05-2010, 14:22

Ditto that, but I prefer honey to the jam. And I use Justin's nut butters in various flavors. And add dried fruit if the granola doesn't have it.

For hot breakfasts I do oatmeal or instant cream of wheat with powdered milk, brown sugar and dried fruits and nuts added.

tech30528
03-13-2010, 15:08
Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with powered milk. If you want it to double as coffee caffeine fix, add an instant coffee mix you like for a mocha flavor and consider heating it up on cold mornings. Good cold as well.

That's the stuff right there. I grab a Clif bar and mix up one of those (preferably hot) while I break camp, and before you know it the first 2 miles are behind you. If you are adding powdered milk, go with Nido powdered whole milk.

David@whiteblaze
03-13-2010, 15:10
Well, Caffiene doesn't affect me, and my trip was canceled.

briankeithsmith
03-13-2010, 15:12

What she said!

BlueTang
03-13-2010, 22:59
One of my favorites is a toasted bagel, with Cream Cheese, thick apple slice and cinnamon sugar. My dad said he used to get these outside of the bars from street vendors when he was in college.

You toast the inside of the bagel first, spread cream cheese on both slices, add the apple and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Put together like a sandwich and then toast the outside. We use a GSI toast over our stove to make these.

Tinker
03-14-2010, 00:21
Well, Caffiene doesn't affect me, and my trip was canceled.
Too bad about your trip! I was going to suggest freeze-dried eggs and bacon bits.

mykl
03-16-2010, 13:42
Too bad about your trip! I was going to suggest freeze-dried eggs and bacon bits.

The freeze dried eggs n bacon bits are great on the trail. I think Mountain House makes it. Also had their eggs with peppers n ham, very good as well. They (and a few other brands) make the granola w/ blueberries and dried milk. Just add a half cup (I think) of cold water for a decent breakfast. The eggs are better though.
A while ago I used to get these heat-in-the-box pancake n sausage breakfasts. You got 3 pancakes, 2 sausage, maple syrup, a little bag of water and a heat pack. You would empty the water into the tray, activate the heat pack, put it back in the box and wait I think it was 5 or 10 minutes and have a nice hot pancake brakfast in the woods with little effort. Yea they where a bit heavy, bulky and left a good amount of trash to carry, but well worth it! Wish I could find them again.

David@whiteblaze
03-17-2010, 22:13
Perhaps you are referring to this (http://www.heatermeals.com/pancakes-blueberry-topping-and-bacon-slices/23.html)?

ASUGrad
03-18-2010, 09:49
Bagels dipped in olive oil and Zaatar (a Syrian spice mix)

Plodderman
03-18-2010, 09:58
Sorry got nothing for you as I do power bars, granola and oatmeal. I do not even heat the water up for the oatmeal. Just eat it cold.

envirodiver
03-18-2010, 10:21
Clif bar and coffee. Seems to do it for me, maybe a couple of handfuls of dried fruit.

mykl
03-19-2010, 12:13
Perhaps you are referring to this (http://www.heatermeals.com/pancakes-blueberry-topping-and-bacon-slices/23.html)?

Thats the stuff, thanks David! I'll have to get some for weekend trips.

David@whiteblaze
03-19-2010, 13:30
okay, I'm assuming that nobody's going to pay $88.83 for breakfast, so it must be that much for 1 package of 12?

mykl
03-19-2010, 18:17
Yea thats the price for a dozen. Seven bucks and change each....a bit pricier than when I got them years ago.

CrumbSnatcher
03-19-2010, 18:51
Your age? Pop tarts. :)must not of been popular?,but in 99' i carried those round pastry swirls that pop tarts made. i bought the cream cheese ones. they were soft and flaky didn't hold up too bad, i kept them in my cook pot to keep them from getting crushed! loved em' too bad their gone. i usually am hiking by 5 or 6 am,then grab a bite to eat 1-3 mile out of camp:)

Gator 65
03-31-2010, 17:02
For a really quick and calorie packed breakfast I recommend two Texas size Honey Buns and a cheese stick. That is the actual name of the honey bun and you can by them at most any grocery store or convenience store. 940 calories each. They hold up well for several days and give you a great sugar rush to get moving in the morning. I would leave them out of my bear bag in the morning then when I pack and on the trail eat them as I go

CrumbSnatcher
03-31-2010, 17:09
For a really quick and calorie packed breakfast I recommend two Texas size Honey Buns and a cheese stick. That is the actual name of the honey bun and you can by them at most any grocery store or convenience store. 940 calories each. They hold up well for several days and give you a great sugar rush to get moving in the morning. I would leave them out of my bear bag in the morning then when I pack and on the trail eat them as I go
great choice! i carry grandmas peanut butter cookies too 400+ calories for two cookies

tothetrail
04-04-2010, 13:27
Packit Gourmet has a really good fruit smoothie. I wish I could duplicate it because it does get kind of pricey.

I also add additional freeze dried strawberries. I just pre package them into single servings. Then in the morning, use the coldest water you can find and shake it up.

I actually bring one of those shakers that they sell in nutritional food stores used to mix protien drinks, and use it as my second water bottle after the morning smoothie.

msujay
04-04-2010, 20:47
Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Mini Bagels + Peanut Butter = Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Heaven.

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2010, 21:37
I have often wondered what the dry yogurt nougat coating is on the base of a cereal bar.

It appears to be easy to make...soften cream cheese, less than half of that is yogurt and add real fruit or fruit spread from an all fruit (large table spoon) blend the mixture and toss back in the refrigerator. The spread keeps well in glad micro tubs and can be added to many things as a coating or spread. Takes the bordom out.

GalHikingTheGap
04-04-2010, 22:13
I go hot cereal and extra dried fruit, then a cup of ginseng tea.

Also, if you've got any places like Aldi's, Ollie's Bargain Bin, Amelia's Grocery Outlet, etc, just go and see what the stars/planets have aligned for you. This is my favorite way to amass dinner options for backpacking, which I keep in a cache in a bankers' box beneath my bed. I never spend more than $2 a meal for the main entree, and I'm always ready to go. The down-side is if there was something you loved, you might go again and not find it. I have two big envelopes of vegetarian chicken noodle - organic!

Oh, also, breakfast burritos can be great in the am.

OH! Also, that boil-in-bag rice (comes in plain and brown) with instant milk, raisins, a packet of honey and some cinnamon makes some GREAT arroz con leche and an easy clean-up!

L

toothpick
04-04-2010, 22:52
Lat year I took pop tarts and they were pretty good and fast and easy. Many flavors. I suggest carrying them in something sturdy so they do not crumble up so much.