PDA

View Full Version : First Week of June- Carvers Gap to Dennis Cove ?

bus
03-04-2010, 15:28
Planning on a 4 or so day hike around the first week or so of June. Myself and 2 maybe 3 friends will be doing this. From Carvers Gap to at the very least 19E, then hopefully to Dennis Cove. Well, at least half-way to Dennis Cove, then back to 19E; which will be our 'out-point' aka where our ride will pick us up, for any hike version.

Just wanting some feedback on crowds, weather, flora etc. from anyone who has hiked this area around this time.

The time frame could change a week or so to the left or right due to my work schedule which is dictated by when the space shuttle launches.

thanks

bigcranky
03-04-2010, 16:34
Carver's Gap to 19E is a nice overnight hike, and the whole hike from CG to Dennis Cove makes a nice 3-night, 4-day hike at about 38 miles IIRC. Having your pick-up at 19-E makes it a little more difficult logistically -- maybe you can be picked up at Dennis Cove? (Of course this depends on how much time you have, if you have four days including driving from Florida, you probably can't do the whole section.)

Early June isn't a bad time to hike. The thru-hikers are mostly gone, and school is still in session, so the summer hikers aren't quite out in force yet. Cool nights, warm days.

Great section.

The Solemates
03-04-2010, 16:35
have fun. i'll be at the beach soakin up the sun :)

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2010, 16:38
Around June you should only see couple sectioners and locals going to the waterfalls. Expect it to be hot and possibly dry with bugs around Elk River.

You should be on trail for 2 days and hit Dennis Cove on the 3rd.

Carvers Gap to the Barn
The Barn to Sugar Hollow campsite/Mountaineer Shelter
Sugar Hollow campsite/Mountaineer Shelter to Dennis Cove

If you do need to get picked up before Dennis Cove, then the last pick up point is Howard Harrison Road (aka Bitter End or USFS 293) off of Buck Mtn road.

bus
03-04-2010, 16:50
Our ride lives in Roan Mountain; I was thinking 19E would be a good pick up place.

So we were thinking of hiking at least half-way to Dennis Cove, then back hiking down to 19E.

Viking, hot as in the 90's? Dry as in no h2o? Florida August's have primed us for hot ;)

We will probably be the AT version of Leaf-Lookers having just hiked flat-land Florida soo much lately :) Not worried so much as to how far we get, but, to enjoy and see what we see.

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2010, 17:43
If you are taking it slow, from what it sounds, 3 days on trail hit Dennis Cove on the 4th. Maybe adding on Moreland Gap Shelter.

In 07-08, it was pretty dry from 19E to DennisCove. 09 was pretty wet and almost recovered from the drought. Right now, lots of snowfall. But it can get up to the 80-90s in the summer in the lower areas. I am thinking anything goes this year.

Roan will be in bloom or just about. Berries, Grey lilies, Rodos, and laurels.
Elk river will have some yellow daffodils and some rare species. The Roan gardens will be open around that time.

If you do cut your trip short, you can get off at 19E, Walnut Mtn Road, or Bitter End. Elk River Falls with a maintainers trail access. There is forest road access up to Canute Place but its not easy. Once you go past Bitter End, you might as well hit Dennis Cove.

Pony
03-04-2010, 17:54
That was one of my favorite sections between Damascus and Springer. If you can though, you should try to make it to Dennis Cove and stay at Kincora.

Chaco Taco
03-04-2010, 19:05
Go the whole way to Dennis Cove. Its not a hard hike at all. It wont be dry this year, almost guaranteed. Make sure to go up to Grassy Ridge, you wont be sorry. After 19E its pretty level and really easy to make some serious miles.

bus
03-05-2010, 11:23
Thanks Everyone. For us, I think we have al agreed its about the quality of what we see/experience, not the quantity.

That being said, I think we were under selling ourselves in respect to how much trail we can cover.

My real main concern is not wanting to get off of the trail. If it wasnt for my wife waiting at home with a future hiker cooking, I would probably keep going....:)

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 11:33
I plan on hiking from 19E up to Highway 321 around that same time. Maybe we will run into each other..haha

bus
03-05-2010, 12:26
There will be 4 of us, pretty much looking like an amalgamation of the cast from Goonies, minus the girl....

bus
03-12-2010, 11:51
What are the average nighttime temps around this section during the first 2 weeks of June.

I am looking at ways to go lighter and I am contemplating going with a lighter sleeping bag. I have the MArmot Trestles 15* now. I have been out in temps to 30* and only been slightly chilly at first, then warm after a 1/2 hour or so. Was out in 37-40* and had to sleep with my arms out because I was too warm.

The Trestles 15* is 3 lbs. 10 oz. I hope to cut that in half. Maybe the Marmot Pounder or....? Any suggestions?

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 12:01
What are the average nighttime temps around this section during the first 2 weeks of June.

I am looking at ways to go lighter and I am contemplating going with a lighter sleeping bag. I have the MArmot Trestles 15* now. I have been out in temps to 30* and only been slightly chilly at first, then warm after a 1/2 hour or so. Was out in 37-40* and had to sleep with my arms out because I was too warm.

The Trestles 15* is 3 lbs. 10 oz. I hope to cut that in half. Maybe the Marmot Pounder or....? Any suggestions?

Go lite that time of year. It can get chilly, maybe upper 40's but likely 50's. Great section. Do that side trail up Grassy Ridge. You will thank yourself

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 12:02

Pounder is a good bag. Dont go below 30 you will be fine

bus
03-12-2010, 12:16
as in dont go below a 30 rated bag? I am thinking the 15 is overkill. Even for my Florida blood.

Aso considering the Deuter DreamLite 500 http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=dreamlite&sub=bags

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 12:30
as in dont go below a 30 rated bag? I am thinking the 15 is overkill. Even for my Florida blood.

Aso considering the Deuter DreamLite 500 http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=dreamlite&sub=bags

You will roast in a 15. Get something light. May end up sleeping on top of it

bus
03-12-2010, 13:11
I hear ya..I am thinking of going with that Deuter bag...1 lbs 2 oz....packs up to the size of a 1 liter bottle...

bus
03-23-2010, 12:11
Ok, Trip is starting to come together. Just three of us now. And of us three, two are 100%; the other at 75%, depending on his training betweem now and then- us flat-landers don't have too many hills to get the legs ready! :) It may be down to two of us by the time our trip starts. But I am going. And my buddy Thrill is going. No matter what. :sun

Starting at Carvers Gap on 6/13 going to back track up to the top of Roan, then head North, ending up at Walnut Mountain Road on the 16th.

I know we could probably stretch a few mor emiles into this, but, we wont to be able to soak in the views when we we want.

A few questions for those in the know and or those highly opinionated. :)

How far off the trail is Elk River Falls?

Though we would love to stay at Over Mountain, it may to soon, mile wise, into our first day to stop. Any good campsites a few miles past (N) there?

June in Florida is starting to hit thunderstorm season. How frequent are lightning storms in this section this time of year?

Anyone else hiking near here during this time?

thanks
'bus'

bigcranky
03-23-2010, 13:00
Why not start at Hughes Gap, just south of Roan Mountain. Easier and cheaper shuttle if you are parking at Mountain Harbour B&B. You get to climb Roan either way....

bigcranky
03-23-2010, 13:01
Oh, and if you start at Hughes Gap, or even at Carver Gap and climb/backtrack Roan, I suspect you will definitely be ready to stop when you get to the Overmountain Shelter.

bus
03-23-2010, 13:12
Isnt Hughs Gap further Trail South, than Carvers, from Mountain Harbour B&B (which, yes we are staying at) ?

We thought ( an dstill are entertaining the idea) about staring at Hughs, but, didnt know how hard that climb woul dbe right out of the car. Remember we are Florida boys. The most climbing I do is to the top of the VAB at (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Assembly_Building) Kennedy Space Center. :D Though i am doing that and walking the auseways of the wide rivers here every other day.

Gray Blazer
03-23-2010, 13:46
Set up your tent on Big Hump. No hammock hanging there unfortunately.

bigcranky
03-23-2010, 13:47
Yes, it's farther south than Carver's but it's a shorter drive, if I recall correctly. Go figure.

The climb out of Hughes Gap is going to be a real mutha for anybody who doesn't have their trail legs. Still, you wanted to climb Roan either way, right? <grin> But yeah, for a couple of guys from Florida, it's going to be a climb.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 14:00
Yes, it's farther south than Carver's but it's a shorter drive, if I recall correctly. Go figure.

The climb out of Hughes Gap is going to be a real mutha for anybody who doesn't have their trail legs. Still, you wanted to climb Roan either way, right? <grin> But yeah, for a couple of guys from Florida, it's going to be a climb.

OR you could just get a ride to the lot on Roan. That climb north up Roan outta Hughs is one of the toughest on the southern AT. Id say start at the top of Roan at the parking lot and hike down it. Its a nice downhill and short. Gives you a good warm up. As always, take the Grassy Ridge Trail. Lots to see up there, then you come back, and you will be at Overmountain late afternoon. Take your time on this particular section, unless there is lightening!

bus
03-23-2010, 14:43
Thanks Chaco, Cranky and Gray. I think we will have em drop us up on top and hike down.

Chaco, I will pm ya closer to the time that we hike in case you want to hike with us as you mentioned before.

Chaco Taco
03-23-2010, 14:59
Thanks Chaco, Cranky and Gray. I think we will have em drop us up on top and hike down.

Chaco, I will pm ya closer to the time that we hike in case you want to hike with us as you mentioned before.

Ill be there! We can probably work the 2 car scenario and not have to shuttle.

bus
05-21-2010, 14:47
The trip is gettin closer and I am getting excited. How are the water sources up that way so far this year? Chaco?

Looks like we will be dropped off up on the parking area on the Roan on 6/13 and heading north.

Any reports from that area from now on until we leave FL June 11ish will be much appreciated- and will just make us all that much more excited.

Staying at Mountain Harbour Harbour now. Both before and after the hike.

bigben
05-21-2010, 23:25
I will be following this thread closely. I'm strongly considering taking my 9 y/o on his first AT hike there, from US19 to Kincora, staying at Mountain Harbour the 1st night, hiking slowly(6 mile days) and Kincora the 5th night. Then driving to meet the family at the Outer Banks for a week on the beach. Probably July 6-11th. If you could/would, let me know about the water situation and the overall "kid-friendliness" of the terrain. It looks pretty tame, but it IS the AT.

Tennessee Viking
05-22-2010, 00:36
I was up on Beartown Mtn (north of Hughes Gap) last weekend for Hardcore maintenance. It rained pretty good. And last couple weekends, supposedly the mountains have gotten increasing rainfall.

As for hiking with kids from 19E to Kincora. Its fairly easy to moderate in difficulty, mainly on your initial climb from 19E, Jones Branch area, and Whiterock Mtn/Canute Place area. Most of that section is graded pretty well with only short steep climbs/drops. Just be sure to visit Jones Falls, Mountaineer Shelter, & Hardcore Cascades. If you have time, be sure to visit the pick your own berry farm on Buck Mtn Road in NC.

bigcranky
05-22-2010, 08:28
I'm strongly considering taking my 9 y/o on his first AT hike there, from US19 to Kincora, staying at Mountain Harbour the 1st night, hiking slowly(6 mile days) and Kincora the 5th night.

Hi, Bigben,

There are some nice things about that section, but I sure wouldn't want to do it that slowly, especially in the summer. It's going to get very hot and very boring. (Yes, I know you'll have a 9 year old with you. My kid did her first overnight backpacking trip at age 4, so I have some experience here.)

If you want spectacular, hike the other side of 19-E -- start at Carver Gap and hike the 13 miles north to 19-E. It makes a great overnight, or you can stretch it to 2 nights pretty easily. (Either stay at The Barn for an overnight, or camp on Grassy Ridge on night 1, and at Doll Flats on night 2. Be careful about water.) The trail is a little harder, yes, but the views and the rewards are significantly higher. You can stay at Mtn Harbour before and after, and add another day of hiking or even an overnight from Walnut Mountain Road back south to 19-E.

Another good option is to head to Grayson Highlands in southwestern Virginia. More spectacular views + wild horses. There are several great loop hikes, or you can do a one-way section with a shuttle. The logistics of a shuttle are a little harder, but the loop hikes are easy. (PM me for details.)

Finally, don't discount how far your kid can walk, especially if you use the "long breaks" slacker-hiker technique. Walk for an hour, take a 30 minute break. Walk another hour, take an hour break. Repeat. If you walk for 4 hours a day, you'll cover eight miles or so without too much effort. This worked well when my kid was little -- we tried to plan the breaks around cool stuff like creeks, shelters (she loved talking to other hikers), mountain tops, that sort of thing.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

--Ken

bus
05-22-2010, 10:04
Cranky...

No worries on any notion that you hijacked the thread. The cool thing about threads that are'nt in the straight forward forum is the wide range of info that is input. Hopefully this can be an ongoing thread after my input after our trip.

Ol Mole
05-22-2010, 10:27
Cranky...

No worries on any notion that you hijacked the thread. The cool thing about threads that are'nt in the straight forward forum is the wide range of info that is input. Hopefully this can be an ongoing thread after my input after our trip.

I'm headed out this coming week for a section between Iron Mtn Gap and Dennis Cove. This thread has been enlightening, timely and helpful - thanks to all who post.

bigben
05-23-2010, 19:11
Thanks for the insight. I'm planning this to be slow and easy on him, but I'm going to see where his limits are and let him keep going as far as possible. If we finish it in 2 1/2-3 days instead of 4, no problem. we'll do 10 mile days if he's up for it. We have another day to play somewhere!

I'm doing this section 1. because it's easy(ish), 2. the waterfalls and the fact it's between hostels where I can park and get shuttles, but mostly 3. because of where it's located. We'll be leaving Kincora and driving to Emerald Isle in the Outer Banks, NC for a week on the beach with family. Thats a 6 1/2 hour drive. Kincora is also a little over 6 hours from my home in Cincinnati. Emerald Isle is 12 hours from the house(been there 4x). The fewer hours behind the wheel, the more fun we can have, in this is the best I can come up with to maximize the fun.

Sorry about pirating this thread.

Bigben

flemdawg1
05-24-2010, 17:31
hi Bus. I did Hughes Gap to Erwin last weekend. there were still lots of thruhikers out, make sure you bring some sort of shelter. Water was pretty easy to get, no dry springs. Temps were upper 70s to low 50s. So definately bring your lighter sleeping bag.

sarge95
05-24-2010, 20:32
the rhodos should be in bloom at the garden atop the Roan by this time. However there are lots of rhodos between Carvers Gap and Round Bald. From Hughes Gap to the top of the Roan is a gain of over 2000 feet in less than 3 miles.

sarge95
05-24-2010, 21:00
The Elk River Falls is 1 mile up river after you get to the river. There is a trail off the AT at the big rock on the trail before getting out of the woods into the meadows at the river and just follow the road.

bus
05-25-2010, 09:45
Getting more excited every day!

bus
06-05-2010, 13:57
A week away!
Anyone else hiking this section June 12th ->?