PDA

View Full Version : Blind Hiker started AT Wed 3/3

booney_1
03-04-2010, 16:26
What are you thoughts on this guy who is hiking the AT. He is armed with a gps and a cane. A story I saw on him said his vision was so bad all he can tell is if the sun was shining. A camera crew is going to follow him, but supposedly he is going to do all the navigation. He's planning on 15 miles/day.
He has the trail programmed into his gps. He wants to be the first blind person to thru-hike the AT unassisted without a guide or guide dog.

I don't see how this could be done without somebody guiding him. There is no "edge" of a trail to follow with his cane. On some balds, the trail is blazed on rocks, and there is no real path to find. Sighted people have problems in fog or when losing day light.

I assume somebody would have to help him find water at the springs...

I admire him for undertaking this journey, but it seems almost impossible.

Here is his website;

http://www.hansonatcampaign.com/

He mentions that his GPS is accurate within 10 feet, and his cane will tell him if he's 10 feet off the trail. I can think of many places where if you are 10 feet off...you are down a cliff.

thoughts??

Mountain Wildman
03-04-2010, 16:43
More power to him.
I will be doing gear shakedowns in the White Mountains around the time he is passing through, Maybe I'll run into him.
It certainly takes courage.
Several people have posted concerns about whether or not they could tackle a Thru-Hike and they have no disabilities.
It is a testament to the Human spirit.
Go Mike!!!!

Manwich
03-04-2010, 16:44
I'll keep an eye out for him. (http://www.instantrimshot.com/)

The Solemates
03-04-2010, 16:45
good for him!

even more impressive (if you can get past the music): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhd-xxCPT_8&feature=related

wrongway_08
03-04-2010, 16:45
More power to him. Hey, even if he tries and fails, thats more then what a lot of sighted people are willing to try.

He is not the first blind person to attempt the A.T.. I do hope he makes it.

Know all those lazy butts sitting at home going, I cant because this or that reason ..... shame on you .......... take this guys lead and just do it :)

Snowleopard
03-04-2010, 16:52
I taught at a college that had quite a few blind students. There was one that was pretty amazing in his ability to get around on his own without a guide, person or dog; I imagine he could have done the AT. There was also a freshman that began the semester with a beautiful guide dog and ended the semester with a variety of beautiful young women.

It'll be tough at the beginning, especially with all the blowdowns this year and with the saplings, rhododendrons, etc., bent over into hoops by all the snow and ice. I'd like to hear how he manages it.

trailangelbronco
03-04-2010, 17:02
His site is pretty impressive. Not sure I'd want to go hunting with him, though.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 17:06
More power to him. Hey, even if he tries and fails, thats more then what a lot of sighted people are willing to try.

He is not the first blind person to attempt the A.T.. I do hope he makes it.

Know all those lazy butts sitting at home going, I cant because this or that reason ..... shame on you .......... take this guys lead and just do it :)
Well......er......OK. But can I just wear a blindfold or do I actually have to give up my sight?

sixhusbands
03-04-2010, 17:08
I met Bill Irwin on the trail when he came through Pa. a few years back. Although he had his dog Orient, he still took some nasty falls and got off the trail a few times. My hat goes off to anyone who steps out onto the trail with the intent to finish. Finishing the daily grind comes from within.

I will be in New Hampshire in late July, maybe I will run across him.

Lyle
03-04-2010, 17:11
I was good freinds with an older (late 60's) man who hiked the trail from Amicalola to Harpers Ferry in the 80's. He was legally blind, could see only light and dark shapes. Could not read a guidebook, even with a magnifying glass. He only left the trail because he contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

He wanted to return the following year to finish, but decided not to as a concession to his wife who obviously worried tremendously about his well-being. He said at the time that he had proved to himself that he COULD hike the entire trail if he wanted to, and that was what was most important to him. I hiked some rough, steep, icy trails with him as a test of his skill here in Michigan prior to his adventure, and his ability to discern the trail was quite amazing.

Don't underestimate the sixth and seventh senses that some physically challenged folks seem to develop. Ever see the video of the totally blind young man who developed his sense of hearing to such a degree that he could follow sidewalks, find doorways, avoid obstacles by clicking his tongue and listening for the reflected sound? Astounding.

Ender
03-04-2010, 17:12
I'm rooting for him! Good for him for trying.

Rain Man
03-04-2010, 17:21
Already a thread. Just so you know. That's all.

Blind Hiker Tackles Appalachian Trail With Only His Wits and a GPS - Switched (blog) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59511)

Rain:sunMan

Johnny Thunder
03-04-2010, 17:29
Good luck to him. Zero-Zero is a blind hiker who successfully through-hiked without a dog or a guide in 2008. I think he and a group are doing the PCT this year.

Pony
03-04-2010, 17:31
He wants to be the first blind person to thru-hike the AT unassisted without a guide or guide dog.

thoughts??

Does anybody hike the trail completely unassisted?

Zero Zero thru hiked in 2008. I didn't even know the guy was blind until the second time I met him. He would listen for where people tapped their poles on the ground to find the trail.

Anyway, if this guy has some grit and determination he'll be fine. Good luck to him.

Pony
03-04-2010, 17:32
Oops, two minutes too late.

Mags
03-04-2010, 18:03
Hmm..I just remembered this dude:

http://www.touchthetop.com/

He did do Everest assisted (but then again, so do most people!). He and another blind climber did some peak in the Alps -UNASSISTED-

I saw him speak a few years back seemed like a nice guy.

A friend of mine who is ski patroller at Loveland (http://www.skiloveland.com/) saw him, well, skiing on the slopes!

Blissful
03-04-2010, 18:07
well, why not? Hope he does okay. esp tough this year with the conditions as well.

Lilred
03-04-2010, 18:31
Ever see the video of the totally blind young man who developed his sense of hearing to such a degree that he could follow sidewalks, find doorways, avoid obstacles by clicking his tongue and listening for the reflected sound? Astounding.

Yes I did see that and it was absolutely amazing!!! It is the exact same principle that bats use. Sonar. I was dumbfounded this guy could do it. It's amazing what the brain can be trained to do.

I applaud this guy for trying and hope he can stay out there. Gps and the cane are great and all, but when you're falling, you lose all control over which way you're going and how you'll land. Sighted people can grab and hang on, break the fall. Unsighted? that'll be the tough one.

Bill Erwin said he could tell when he got off the trail because of the leaves underfoot, there is a different sound on trail and off trail. There's no telling how acute this guy's other senses are.

ChinMusic
03-04-2010, 18:53
Bill Erwin said he could tell when he got off the trail because of the leaves underfoot, there is a different sound on trail and off trail. There's no telling how acute this guy's other senses are.

Heck, even I have used the sound/feel of leaves on night hikes. It's not a bad technique certain times of the year. When the leaves get softer (thicker) and louder, you are off the trail. Fortunately for me I could turn on my headlamp and get back on. I would think a blind person would have a vastly greater feel for what is under their feet.

ascientist
03-04-2010, 23:20
I wonder what kind of GPS he is using.

Powder River
03-04-2010, 23:49
I wonder what kind of GPS he is using.

Nokia N82 cell phone

http://www.hansonatcampaign.com/Preparation.html

Powder River
03-04-2010, 23:53
Good luck to him. Zero-Zero is a blind hiker who successfully through-hiked without a dog or a guide in 2008. I think he and a group are doing the PCT this year.

Zero Zero is an animal. I ran into him quite a few times up in Vermont and NH. He mostly navigated by the "shape" of the trail, using his stick. He did say there were several times he had to stop and wait where a blue blaze branched off for someone to come along and tell him which way was the AT. He said one time he sat for around 6 hours before anybody came.

But it is amazing the level of ability these folks reach. I would often forget that Zero Zero was blind; I remember one time tossing him his lighter after I had borrowed it... oops!

climber2377
03-05-2010, 01:26
i dont think he will have as much trouble as some are saying, a blind man climbed mt. everest, why not thru hike the AT? Way to go!! no limits! this fella is a champ in my book. i hope to catch up to him on the trail and wish him well on his adventure.

fireblaz
03-05-2010, 07:32
I hope he makes it all the way .. But on a side note he wont need a head light for night time hiking .......

Marta
03-05-2010, 08:40
To me, the hiking seems as if it would be the easy part. Finding water, etc.? It's quite an undertaking. I wish him the best.

Powder River
03-06-2010, 02:53
If you look at his page he will have a documentarian following him the entire way. Even though it says that he will not receive help, I don't believe that. This other guy will essentially be his hiking partner. They will be hiking the entire AT together, for 6 months or more. So yes, I believe he'll have some assistance finding water, etc. especially, I imagine, when the camera is turned off.

Powder River
03-06-2010, 02:54
Edited: double post

Lion King
03-06-2010, 04:10
I wish him the best but if he is truly totally blind I REALLY wish him luck from Vermont north.

impressive if nothing else.

Darwin again
03-11-2010, 09:59
Has anyone seen him? Is he on trail?

hellomolly
03-11-2010, 10:41
He is. A current thruhiker - don't know his or her name, forgot - met him at a shelter a few days ago.