PDA

View Full Version : Starting a thru-hike too early in the year = bad idea?

DrRichardCranium
03-04-2010, 17:45
I've been browsing trailjournals and postholer & reading the journals of people who started their AT thru-hike in February. And it ain't pretty.

It seems a lot of those people are getting off the trail after dealing with slogging thru too much snow, or having to blue-blaze because certain mountains were inaccessible due to snow & ice. Then some of them say, "well, I guess I'll have to go back & hike those miles later," which for me, would be pretty unsatisfying.

Some are quitting and some are going home for a few weeks, and some are holing up in a hostel or motel.

I know we've had a lot of snow this year, but is it usually the case that starting a thru-hike on the AT in February is not such a great idea?

white_russian
03-04-2010, 17:59
It is just this year in particular that is brutal.

emerald
03-04-2010, 18:04
No, it's the same old story mostly about novices who know everything and won't listen.

You forgot to mention, not only are such hikes less apt to be successful for the impatient, they, also, with few, if any, exceptions cost more and little is gained by them. That's why we call these hikers early starters.

Maybe we should have a better label to stick on them.

Blissful
03-04-2010, 18:13
This winter was unusually severe here in VA (we had 5 1/2 feet of snow this year) But snow and cold at higher elevations are not in Feb. Hikers knew what was happening before they left (our big snow was Super bowl weekend). Up to them whether they are ready for the conditions or not

JustaTouron
03-04-2010, 18:19
No, it's the same old story about mostly about novices who know everything and won't listen.

You forgot to mention, not only are such hikes less apt to be successful for impatient, they, also, with few, if any, exceptions cost more and little is gained by them. That's why we call these hikers early starters.

Could call them "IWWDOAGHBTSPES"

(Idiots who will drop out and go home before the sane people even start)

emerald
03-04-2010, 18:19
Those who are serious about completing what they set out to do will wait. The window for an A.T. through hike is wide. It doesn't require slipping through a crack. Ordinary effort applied to the task will suffice.

johnnybgood
03-04-2010, 18:22
Maybe another year from now the weather pattern changes, and February is mild and everyone stays away from the trail until March 15th.

I know, I'm playing devils advocate here, but I will agree that this winter weather in the south is an atypical year and to begin a thru hike knowing that bad conditions exist is not a good idea

Lone Wolf
03-04-2010, 18:32
No, it's the same old story mostly about novices who know everything and won't listen.

You forgot to mention, not only are such hikes less apt to be successful for impatient, they, also, with few, if any, exceptions cost more and little is gained by them. That's why we call these hikers early starters.

wow. we agree

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 18:46

Maybe we should have a better label to stick on them. I thought they were called early starters because they started earlier. Why do they do this? A few might be chomping at the bit and raring to go, some have time constraints that force them to begin earlier, some would rather beat the crowds, some people like hiking in winter conditions, some long to be first. Sometimes the weather does not cooperate and it may effect the drop out rate a bit by I honestly suspect it is no greater than the hordes starting a little later. In fact it may even be a little less considering they may be more focused on the hike itself rather than the social aspect of seeing 25 or 30 other hikers each night. Plus, knowing when they are starting, they prepare better than many of the late starters who just throw a bunch of stuff in a pack and take off to the party thinking it's going to be a cakewalk.Also these early starters will often spend less on their hikes as they are less apt to succumb to peer pressure and the lure of trail towns. Regardless of start date, anyone who completes their journey will gain a great feeling of accomplishment. Finally the weather each year is hit or miss. In 07' it was gorgeous almost the entire month of Feb. No rain, sunny, warm. In 03 it was rain rain rain. You can delay a start date also but there is still no guarantee you wont see snow in the Smokies in May and by delaying you are apt to run into more colder, inclement weather at the northern end of your hike. Also while many novices just wont listen, many do and are well prepared for their hikes regardless of start date. There. I think that refutes every one of your statements. I'd be interested in knowing just how you arrived at your misconclusions.

Terry7
03-04-2010, 18:52
Hike your own hike. Remember those words when your out there.

emerald
03-04-2010, 19:15
I think that refutes every one of your statements. I'd be interested in knowing just how you arrived at your misconclusions.

You didn't refute anything. Tell us all about the financial incentives which accrue to those who encourage these individuals. I'll think about providing data after you have and I've finished with more important things.

Some of those who start in May are the best prepared and most devoted A.T through hikers of them all.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 19:59
As are many who start early. In fact there is a hiker that has completed a thru-hike every year since 03' and he happened to start on Jan 1st each year. I'd say Trek has a we bit of that preparedness and devotion of which you speak. It seems that those qualities are not reserved for those who only want to hike when it's warm.

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 20:03
Also no hard feelings Emerald. It is not that I disagree with you. It's just that LW agrees with you and if I were to do the same it would mean that I agree with LW. I am just not prepared to do that at this juncture.

Sequoia
03-04-2010, 20:13
I'm thinking of starting around April 14-15, is this too late for a thru-hike?

Rockhound
03-04-2010, 20:17
you'll be right in the middle to tail end of the hiker wave.

DapperD
03-04-2010, 20:21
this winter weather in the south is an atypical year and to begin a thru hike knowing that bad conditions exist is not a good idea I think this pretty much sums it up. I don't believe starting a thru-hike say around the middle to end of February is necessarily reckless or unwise, if say out of time constraints or pace one decides that it is necessary, or if one chooses to escape the crowds, etc... But I believe that a complete thru-hike takes such dedication and effort, that personnally if at all possible, I would not want to handicap or jeapordize my chances in any way, shape, or form. I think if it was a no-snow year and one was properly prepared for the cold and was able to tolerate it, heading out in late Feb. would almost be pleasurable, with the ground hard one could probably begin to make good progress. However heading out early this year, one either needs to be an extremely strong and capable backpacker/hiker, or have plenty of dough and leisure time to hang out in towns until this years trail conditions improve.

Sequoia
03-04-2010, 21:07
you'll be right in the middle to tail end of the hiker wave.

I don't think I'll mind the people too much (as long as they're nice:)) because its my first time attempting something of this magnitude.

Red Beard
03-04-2010, 21:14
I'm thinking of starting around April 14-15, is this too late for a thru-hike?

Maybe we'll see each other. I'll be heading out on the 11th of April.

SGT Rock
03-04-2010, 21:16
Just depends on the year. I started in January and had some brutal cold, but only a couple of bad snow days.

fiddlehead
03-04-2010, 22:02
I remember dropping 2 friends off in '93 in Feb.
It was a beautiful sunny day, about 60 degrees on Springer Mt.

But, about 3 weeks later, the weather turned cold with snow and mixed sleet and rain.
They ended up going to a hotel in Dollywood or somewhere nearby (Pigeon Forge?)
for about a week, spending much of their hard earned and needed money for their thru.

I believe they made it to about Pearisburg and quit. Partially because of money woes and partially because they were bored with the trail.

Although I think I could start in Feb. and have fun, I know it is better when the weather is good. So, why not wait?

Praha4
03-04-2010, 22:17
starting April 14-15 is not too late. I'm chomping at the bit to get started, but waiting. A thru hike is an endurance trip, not a sprint.

Early starters all have their own motivations and reasons. Perhaps some think there will be gold medals awarded to the first to finish at Katahdin this year. I wonder how many of those early starters who are skipping sections of the trail, promising to "come back later", will actually do that. If u skip 20,30, 40 mile sections now because of blowdowns, ice, snow... and leapfrog north on the trail... by the time u finish in Maine, it will be kind of anticlimactic to come back to Winding Stair Gap, NOC, or the Smokies to do that last 50-70 or more miles in late summer or early fall.

I'm not judging the early starters, there may be some guys out there who have the training, endurance and gear to handle those conditions... look at our Army and Marine G.I.'s in Afghanistan right now hiking with 70-80 lb packs in the Afghan mountains, in subfreezing condition, so it's not beyond human endurance.

AWOL started his thru hike around April 23rd,and said he never hit temps below 30 degrees. Hoo yah, look how much weight you can save in clothing and your bag by waiting.

The Solemates
03-04-2010, 22:46
It is just this year in particular that is brutal.

i've hiked in the south all my life and have to disagree with this statement.

Bearpaw
03-04-2010, 23:11
I know I'm a dinosaur because I thru-hiked over a decade ago ('99) but then the standard I usually heard about was folks starting around the first day of spring through Easter. That 3 or so week window seemed to make a lot of sense, and it worked great for me to start in the last week of March (just one mild snow).

In the last decade, more and more folks are starting earlier. I don't quite know why. Sure, it's their hike, but January and February starts don't strike me as a good idea for so many who have relatively little experience.

The AT is a fairly easy hike, but hypothermia doesn't care if the trail is easy.

Grampie
03-05-2010, 11:13
The weather does have a big factor if you have a sucessfull thru or not. Quite a few folks quit because of bad weather and you a more likely to get bad weather in feb. & March than in April.
I thrued in 2001. Got a foot of snow in the Smokeys on April 22. Other than that I never faced bad weather. I think that attributed to being able to have a sucessfull thru-hike.:sun

Scooby99
03-05-2010, 11:31
In '99 my Dad and I started Feb 24, had snow, but not a huge deal. Last year I started with my father for his 4th hike on Feb 15, and hiked with him to Newfound Gap before I had to leave for my job, we had 12-24 inches on the ground with drifts to 4 feet in parts, wasnt the nicest but as long as you are prepared its not impossible by any means, how much is out there this year, I have no idea. For us, we just ended up hiking shorter days, and taking an extra days off in town to dry gear out.

stumpknocker
03-05-2010, 11:36
I know most people like to walk in warmer weather. Some people REALLY enjoy the AT in winter though. I'm one of them. :)

Summer is my least favorite time to be on the AT. I prefer autumn, winter and spring.

full conditions
03-05-2010, 12:48
Hike your own hike. Remember those words when your out there.
Odd thing to post on a site dedicated to sharing information and advice about the appalachian trail.

Obviously everyone must, in the end, hike their own hike. Who doesn't get that? Its like telling adults to remember to get dressed before going out. So enough with worthless tautologies like HYOH.

This thread, Terry, is about debating/discussing the merits of super early start dates for thru hiking. Someone considering a future thru hike themselves may want to consider the pros and cons offered here - they may not. But what wont be helpful Terry, is some lame cliche masquerading as wisdom.

lunatic
03-05-2010, 20:08
I think it ultimately depends on what each individual likes and can handle. I agree with Stumpknocker. I love hiking in the winter and colder weather, so I started my thru-hike last year in February and finished in July. I hit lots of cold and rainy weather. Took me 5 months and I don't think I spent more money or took more zero days than most others. That being said, I was more likely to hike and tent in the rain, snow and colder temps than some others because of my love of cold weather hiking and camping.
-L

DrRichardCranium
03-06-2010, 15:21
I hear some people are saying "hey, it's all good as long as you're prepared for the cold!" Sure, you can bring heavier coats etc, but unless you're bringing technical ice-climbing gear, you're going to find some of the mountains are just too dangerous to be on(or otherwise inaccessible) so you'd be forced to blue blaze. So you'd miss some of the trail.

It's surprising that so many people are starting early; you'd think that with info available on the Internet a hiker could easily find out what conditions are like right now & alter his/her plans accordingly.

Lion King
03-06-2010, 15:42
I know most people like to walk in warmer weather. Some people REALLY enjoy the AT in winter though. I'm one of them. :)

Summer is my least favorite time to be on the AT. I prefer autumn, winter and spring.

Amen...uh....not enough characters to post so....Amen again:D

climber2377
03-06-2010, 15:44
living in NY we do a lot of winter excursions in snow covered landscapes. some people come from even colder climates and feel that they are willing and able to challenge and overcome wintery conditions. I chose my start date months ago, booked my flight and am sticking to it. if the worst case scenario is that i have to hike 2200 miles and hike next to a few blue blazes instead of white ones, i dont think i will feel at all less satisfied than a person who hiked past, touched, caressed, kissed and fondeled every single white blaze while talking sweetly to each as they count them on their 2200 mile journey. that being said, the weather is always going to be a factor of challenge in any outdoor pursuit. we in this community understand for the most part the implications of this. some will dare to brave the elements, and others will not. i choose battle as many elements as is possible on my journey. that which does not kill me will only make me stronger. just like the scout motto says, be prepared.

climber2377
03-06-2010, 15:47
some people i talk to think leaving the shelter of their own homes, the security of their jobs, the comfort of their beds, the mind numbing sensation of watching tv, and hitting the trail for 5 or 6 months is a bad idea no matter when it is being done.

JustaTouron
03-06-2010, 15:48

Great. Then don't start a NOBO hike the last week of Feb. If someone really likes winter you can start a SOBO hike early Oct.

Problem is that there are a bunch of people who are 3-season hikers, who decided to follow spring north, but spring hasn't arrived yet.

stumpknocker
03-06-2010, 16:34
Great. Then don't start a NOBO hike the last week of Feb. If someone really likes winter you can start a SOBO hike early Oct.

Problem is that there are a bunch of people who are 3-season hikers, who decided to follow spring north, but spring hasn't arrived yet.

I guess maybe they should wait for spring?? :-?

I would start early Sept if I were going to walk south.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-06-2010, 16:43
you have to hike your own hike just be prepared for bad weather carry what you need and use good judgement I have hiked in 3-4-feet of snow which was no fun but its all about being mentally prepared and understanding there will be some low mileage days

Hillbilly

GGS2
03-06-2010, 17:16
Questions that come to mind:
Has anyone ever counted all the little white blazes? Not estimated; counted.

And any winter thru must understand that he/she is essentially bushwhacking, no? Like with snowshoes, and trail finding by map and compass, and maybe using the winter roads, like frozen swamps, rocky ledges, game trails and so on, and criss-crossing the AT all the way. If someone comes upon a section of blow-downs or ice damage (believe me, you don't want to know), they go around, don't they?

Or is the AT just too narrow and too civilized for bush technique? I know; it depends on the section...

Terry7
03-06-2010, 17:31
[QUOTE=full conditions;982362]Odd thing to post on a site dedicated to sharing information and advice about the appalachian trail.

Obviously everyone must, in the end, hike their own hike. Who doesn't get that? Its like telling adults to remember to get dressed before going out. So enough with worthless tautologies like HYOH.

This thread, Terry, is about debating/discussing the merits of super early start dates for thru hiking. Someone considering a future thru hike themselves may want to consider the pros and cons offered here - they may not. But what wont be helpful Terry, is some lame cliche masquerading as wisdom.[/Q

hike your own hike is just that. to many people trying to tell others how they should hike the A.T. not all but alot of post in this thread is people saying if ya dont do it this way your wrong. when you have spent months on the trail and have got to know alot of hikers then you might just get that hike your own hike is the best advice you will ever get.

Doctari
03-06-2010, 17:53
Just as those hikers who (as I did) start long distance hiking with a few over night hikes & (as I did) have a rough time of it. Hiking in winter, or just cold temps, takes a bit of getting used to. I would think that those with long distance experience have an easier time of it, but it takes a few trips in cold & snow to get the feel for it. And, hiking in snow is hard work. Hiking is deep snow is VERY HARD work. So, when hiking in snow, you need to allow for a slower pace. Hiking in cold, you need to allow for more food and insulation, so more weight.

I would like to start "early" and would do so without any expectations of burning up the trail. But, the lowest temps I can do with my long hike gear is the mid 20s, so I would have to time it just right. At least I now know what I can do with the gear I would carry.

prain4u
03-07-2010, 02:12
If you look at enough trail journals and similar statistics, it appears that those who start in early February often don't seem to get to Katahdin much ahead of those who leave in mid-March. The early starters also seem to have a bit of a higher "drop out" rate than those who start out later. (Not just this year, but during many years)

The weather is only one factor that contributes to this. I think you also have a lot of inexperienced people (eager to get started) and who start in February. (Those people are new to hiking and they might have even had problems if starting in March or April!)

Rockhound
03-07-2010, 07:46
I hear some people are saying "hey, it's all good as long as you're prepared for the cold!" Sure, you can bring heavier coats etc, but unless you're bringing technical ice-climbing gear, you're going to find some of the mountains are just too dangerous to be on(or otherwise inaccessible) so you'd be forced to blue blaze. So you'd miss some of the trail.

It's surprising that so many people are starting early; you'd think that with info available on the Internet a hiker could easily find out what conditions are like right now & alter his/her plans accordingly.
A just what is wrong with blue blazing?

Rockhound
03-07-2010, 07:56
I would like to know where everyone is getting their stats. 'It seems..." "I suspect...." I imagine....." Someone reads a bunch of trail journals, sees that most of them started sometime in April then jumps to the conclusion that April starters have the highest success rate. How about there are many many many more people that start in April than Feb ergo you will hear a lot more success stories.

Rockhound
03-07-2010, 08:01
believe it or not many hikers that succeed do not even post a journal online. If anyone can provide real, accurate stats for start dates and completion rates I would be interested in seeing them. Right now I think people are just making assumptions without any accurate info to go by.

rjridgely
03-07-2010, 08:14

You forgot to mention, not only are such hikes less apt to be successful for the impatient, they, also, with few, if any, exceptions cost more and little is gained by them. That's why we call these hikers early starters.

i chose not to hike with the masses, asses or cyber hikers

mrc237
03-07-2010, 11:06
While not reading all the posts on this topic I would rather start later in the season (even into May), this way I would be (?) trail hardened and ready for the nasty northern weather. The AT is not all that difficult, however the cold nasty weather can make a hiker question his/her abilty to take both on at the same time.

play_outside
07-13-2010, 07:50
Hey All,
Thanks very much for your comments on hiking early. I was planning on leaving early February and all of this information is very helpful.

I am still planning to leave early February for a couple reasons. First, although I haven't done a backpacking trip of this magnitude before, I have spent many nights outside in wintery conditions. Second, I have a sincere interest in through hiking the trail, and am prepared to mentally and physically prepare myself for an early start. Third, I am graduating college in December and have a job beginning mid-July, so I need to start and finish early. Fourth, I grew up in Wisconsin and am used to outdoor pursuits in cold weather. Fifth, I have the means to purchase the necessary equipment and cold weather gear.

My party will include myself and a friend. Both of us are in good shape, are experienced backcountry travelers, and ready to properly prepare for a trip of this magnitude.

Maybe I am saying all of this just trying to convince myself that we can do it, ha. Does anybody have serious doubts about being able to finish when starting in February besides the obvious reason of hiking in cold weather?

jersey joe
07-13-2010, 08:37
I don't think starting in February has very much to do with not finishing. It just provides a different array of excuses one can give when they drop off the trail for mental reasons.

chiefduffy
07-13-2010, 10:03
I am still planning to leave early February for a couple reasons.

Sounds like you are knowledgeable and prepared. Being from the South, I wasn't ready for the cold in the mountains, even in late March. Have a great hike! Take lots of sunscreen!

Doctari
07-13-2010, 13:26
Good for you!
A hint from one of the ridgerunners in the Smokies a few years ago: "I carry maps of the entire area so if the weather gets bad I know where the trails off the mountain are & what is at the bottom if I have to get to shelter."
As I say above on another post: don't plan on "burning up the trail" & have some extra food. But then you are from an area that actually has winter so you should do fine.

Hey All,
Thanks very much for your comments on hiking early. I was planning on leaving early February and all of this information is very helpful.

I am still planning to leave early February for a couple reasons. First, although I haven't done a backpacking trip of this magnitude before, I have spent many nights outside in wintery conditions. Second, I have a sincere interest in through hiking the trail, and am prepared to mentally and physically prepare myself for an early start. Third, I am graduating college in December and have a job beginning mid-July, so I need to start and finish early. Fourth, I grew up in Wisconsin and am used to outdoor pursuits in cold weather. Fifth, I have the means to purchase the necessary equipment and cold weather gear.

My party will include myself and a friend. Both of us are in good shape, are experienced backcountry travelers, and ready to properly prepare for a trip of this magnitude.

Maybe I am saying all of this just trying to convince myself that we can do it, ha. Does anybody have serious doubts about being able to finish when starting in February besides the obvious reason of hiking in cold weather?

JAK
07-13-2010, 22:12
What is the earliest date that an unsupported NOBO thru-hike was completed?

SOBO?

The Solemates
07-14-2010, 10:26
What is the earliest date that an unsupported NOBO thru-hike was completed?

SOBO?

people have finished nobo just after katahdin opens in may. many finish in june.

JAK
07-14-2010, 12:08
Thanks Solemates. It seems like it would be an interesting record for someone to try and set or break, as much or more so than a mid-summer speed hike. Also, every year would have its unique challenges, moreso than a mid-summer speed hike or run, where things are somewhat more consistent, although heat and humidity is also a variable. So every year would and must have a new winner I suppose, if you are in to that sort of thing. NOBO would make the most sense for such an endeavour, not that such things need to make sense. Is there a record some place of first-finishers each year? Are the first-to-finish each year also the first-to-start usually, or does it make sense sometimes to wait a week or two for better weather before starting out?

Has anyone ever gotten permission to do a January ascent of Katahdin before doing an early SOBO?

Slo-go'en
07-14-2010, 14:26
Hey All,
I am still planning to leave early February for a couple reasons.

... so I need to start and finish early.

Does anybody have serious doubts about being able to finish when starting in February besides the obvious reason of hiking in cold weather?

Just because you start early doesn't always mean you'll finish early. For the first couple of months, you will be moving along slowly due to having shorter days, more gear and more inclement weather to deal with then if you started 4 to 6 weeks later.

play_outside
07-14-2010, 16:51
In the past I've had no trouble going 10-15 miles in the snow, and that was in Northern Minnesota and Northern Michigan in January. I'd like to start early not only for the obvious reason of putting away a few hundred miles before we'd normally start, but also to get in shape faster for when the weather does get nice.

Based on what I've read from people who have left early February, what I've read about the southern trail climate in February, and personal experience backpacking in cold weather we're roughly planning on hiking 10-15 if there is snow and 25 if not.

Of course this doesn't take into account weather extremes that may occur or zero days that we may take.

Mags
07-14-2010, 17:36
In the past I've had no trouble going 10-15 miles in the snow, and that was in Northern Minnesota and Northern Michigan in January.

Have you done this in snow for consecutive days?

Not being a smart ass...just something to think about if you have not.

buzzamania
07-14-2010, 18:56
I do plenty of hikes in all 4 seasons of the midwest. Just depends on what you're looking for. Some people have a limited window and have to leave earlier. They are not crazy. They have their reasons.

Speakeasy TN
07-14-2010, 20:03
In the past I've had no trouble going 10-15 miles in the snow, and that was in Northern Minnesota and Northern Michigan in January. I'd like to start early not only for the obvious reason of putting away a few hundred miles before we'd normally start, but also to get in shape faster for when the weather does get nice.

Based on what I've read from people who have left early February, what I've read about the southern trail climate in February, and personal experience backpacking in cold weather we're roughly planning on hiking 10-15 if there is snow and 25 if not.

Of course this doesn't take into account weather extremes that may occur or zero days that we may take.

I applaud the idea of doing it your way BUT 25 miles a day isn't going to happen in North Georgia with maybe 10 hrs. of hikeable daylight. Just make sure a REALISTIC time/mileage schedule doesn't hike you into the blackflies. I want to be sure those suckers are long dead when I hit there neighborhood.

play_outside
07-15-2010, 08:01
Thanks for all the valuable input and advice.

As far as hiking in snow for consecutive days, the longest I've done is 10 consecutive days. This was snowshoeing in January in Northern Michigan, so the weather will be nicer in February in Georgia. Although, if it proves to be a harsh winter I cannot say how I will feel after a few weeks hiking becuase I haven't gone more than 10 consecutive days in winter conditions. If the winter is unusually harsh and really starts to weaken us after a few weeks we will be more than okay with holing up in a motel for a few nights to recharge our batteries.

Regarding the shorter days in February, you are correct, it will be tough to crank out 25 miles even if the weather is favorable. Realistically we would be looking at about 15 miles those days depending on the trail topography. When I said we were planning on 25 mile days I meant once the weather was nice, days were longer, and we were in better shape.

I'm not on an ego-boosting speed trip, and I want to enjoy as much of the trail as possible. However my timeline is such that I need to finish by July, so the mileage and early start are mostly out of necessity. If I had all the time in the world I would surely start later and take longer. 40 years from now when I retire I would love to come back and take 7 months to hike the trail when I have the time to thoroughly enjoy it.

Mags
07-15-2010, 09:35
I applaud the idea of doing it your way BUT 25 miles a day isn't going to happen in North Georgia with maybe 10 hrs. of hikeable daylight.

I beg to differ.... (http://www.pmags.com/joomla1516/index.php/journeys/35-benton-mackaye-trail/128-benton-mackaye-trail-thru-hike)

:)

Note the dates and allegedly the BMT is more difficult than the nearby AT.

As far as hiking in snow for consecutive days, the longest I've done is 10 consecutive days. This was snowshoeing in January in Northern Michigan, so the weather will be nicer in February in Georgia.

You'll be fine, then. A thru-hike of the AT is really 3-5 days between resupplies...10 days in the winter was probably considerably more difficult to say the least.

The Solemates
07-15-2010, 09:49
You'll be fine, then. A thru-hike of the AT is really 3-5 days between resupplies...10 days in the winter was probably considerably more difficult to say the least.

Agreed. But MI and MN hiking is considerably easier than GA hiking. I'd beg to entertain that snowshoeing MI and MN in winter is easier than hiking GA in winter. And I've hiked in all three states.

play_outside
07-15-2010, 10:32
I haven't hiked in GA before, and I don't want to start a territory battle here, ha, but I found it considerably more taxing to snowshoe in Michigan in January than hiking in the Smokies in March.

Neither activity is a walk in the park, but the extra equipment and more labored walking make snoeshoeing more difficult than hiking, in my opinion

The Solemates
07-15-2010, 15:25
I haven't hiked in GA before, and I don't want to start a territory battle here, ha, but I found it considerably more taxing to snowshoe in Michigan in January than hiking in the Smokies in March.

Neither activity is a walk in the park, but the extra equipment and more labored walking make snoeshoeing more difficult than hiking, in my opinion

the smokies are flat with the exception of gaining the ridge when you enter and losing the ridge when you exit

JAK
07-16-2010, 10:52
What I like about winter is the variability. You can't always count on 10 miles a day, or even 5 miles in a day. I haven't snowshoed, just trudged and skiid. I can see how being good on snowshoes can make things a bit less variable, but not much. I would guess that terrain on the AT, like the Fundy Footpath, would make skis impactical. Snow shoes might be practical, but what size would be most practical, and would it still not be better to go really slow or zero the worst days, and make up ground when conditions are better? Not sure. Like anything else it depends on what you like to do and why you are out there. I like the challenge of winter though. I tried a bit of the Fundy Footpath in winter this past March, and another time in January. Conditions are highly variable. Some conditions you can go just as fast as in summer, even with more gear and food. Other conditions and you really are stuck. I think on average you should expect to be slowed by more that 50%. If you can do 500 miles/month in summer, I don't think you should count on more than 200 miles/month in January. You should plan on it being high
ly unpredicatble, like a range like 100-400 miles per month. You would need to enjoy winter camping as much as winter hiking. Definitely a good challenge though.

Something I came across on the Fundy Footpath in March which is worth mentioning, because I would expect similar conditions on the AT. Parts of the trail are on rather steep side slopes, running along the shore of the Bay of Fundy. There are places where you really can't go off the path, or at least it would be very dangerous and time consuming to bushwack your way around a section, even in summer. In winter especially, you are likely to encounter trees fallen across the path. You could bring something along to cut some branches and tunnel your way under or over. It might take as much as an hour, but it would certainly be safer and faster than going around. Other times though, sometimes in the same place, you can have ice that has seeped and frozen across the trail, and an ice sheet running down from there to dangerous falls, even cliffs. So those can be very treacherous. You can take your chances and skip across, perhaps with a few tree holds. Going up and around can be just as dangerous. Crampons would help at such times, but basically you are getting into mountaineering skills at this point, if only for 5-10 feet of trail with clear hiking on the other side. It can be very tempting to take risks, especially if the alternative is to hike back to a safe place to camp, and then what? What if you are hiking in fresh snow and don't even see the ice?

I turned back both times on my winter excursion on the Fundy Footpath. You have to be weary of hiking trails in winter that are not really intended for winter. I think in some ways hiking trails in the Whites can be safer in winter, because at least they are attempted in winter more regularly. Other trails, which might be much safer than the Whites 99% of the time, might be just as dangerous that other 1%, and more likely to catch you unprepared. A slip and fall can leave you for dead no matter where you are.

play_outside
07-28-2010, 17:55
That is a good point about the trails not being designed for snow use. I'm planning on getting some heavier hiking boots with good traction and gaitors for the first half, then swapping for something lighter halway through once it gets warmer.

BrianLe
08-01-2010, 17:26
Prain4U said (a while back):

"If you look at enough trail journals and similar statistics, it appears that those who start in early February often don't seem to get to Katahdin much ahead of those who leave in mid-March."

I too think it's tough to pull out meaningful statistics. In my own case, I started on Feb 25th this year and finished on July 29th, but I was off-trail for nearly a month (25 days total) along the way --- 5 days off going back down to Trail days, 16 days off to get over Giardia (ouch), and 3 - 4 days sitting in Gorham NH to heal a quadricep strain I got coming out of the Whites. None of those "off trail" experiences had anything to do with an early start, and taking those off-trail days out of the equation I finished in something like 4 months and a week. I'm not (IMO) a particularly fast hiker, just fairly steady and disciplined. There are all kinds of things that impact how early or late a person finishes.

A big issue for early starters this year wasn't snow in the smokies (there was of course a lot of it, but I'd expect significant snow in March in the Smokies most years ??) --- rather it was all of the blowdowns at sort of a "next tier" of elevation lower down. The south got relatively hammered this year, so snow plus blowdowns did make the going a bit more difficult, slower until Virginia.

play_outside said:

"I'm planning on getting some heavier hiking boots with good traction and gaitors for the first half, then swapping for something lighter halway through once it gets warmer."
I think that heavier (or any) boots aren't necessarily a requirement. I used trail runners (shoes) throughout and I'd go that route again, just have a change of wool socks (or something warm and dry to sleep in). My hiking partner, however, used goretex boots of some sort for the snowy part of the trip and he felt glad to have done so. So as with all footwear-related discussions, there's no single "right" answer. I did carry yak trax for a while, and used them pretty infrequently --- didn't encounter all that much "ice" or real slick tread, and often when I did it was for short enough sections that it was a bit of a PITA to put on and then take off the yak trax, so I think I ended up mailing those home before I was even entirely out of snow (?).
But if starting in Feb again, I'd probably take those again, I wouldn't want to face a truly extended icy section without them, I guess.

turtle fast
08-02-2010, 15:17
Just remember that it is not just snowfall like we expect in Wisconsin or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan..not accumulating fluffy snow but you have to be aware of ice storms...much worse than raw snowfall. Ice storms that can cover things like sheets and bring down branches are worse than snow. Even though we get ice storms in Wisconsin, the southern mountains get them worse. Hypothermia of course is the big danger...as well as falling tree limbs.