PDA

View Full Version : Long Weekend Backpacking Ideas?

MtnBikerGuy
03-04-2010, 18:49
I am looking to put together a 3-4 day backpacking trip with a few conditions and I figured WB'ers would be a good source of info like normal.

I want to be able to fly into a city and from the airport, take mass transit or shuttle service to the location where I am hiking and return the same way. Although I have section hiked much of the AT, I have spent very little time hiking west of the Mississippi and that is where I would like to try this adventure.

Again, I would like to just fly in and get to my destination easily and inexpensively. The idea of renting a car for 4 days for it to just sit in a parking lot, except to and from the airport, is just a waste. Trip would be in May more than likely.

Any ideas and/or help is appreciated.

white_russian
03-04-2010, 18:54
Grand Canyon is pretty good about transportation. Fares are usually cheap to Phoenix and you can take a bus from there.

Chaco Taco
03-04-2010, 19:07
NC TN sections of the AT are good, you can fly in and have shuttle waiting and you can be on the trail within an hour or so of landing! Just depends on where you wanna go. Lottsa options for shuttles here as well

I am looking to put together a 3-4 day backpacking trip with a few conditions and I figured WB'ers would be a good source of info like normal.

I want to be able to fly into a city and from the airport, take mass transit or shuttle service to the location where I am hiking and return the same way. Although I have section hiked much of the AT, I have spent very little time hiking west of the Mississippi and that is where I would like to try this adventure.

Again, I would like to just fly in and get to my destination easily and inexpensively. The idea of renting a car for 4 days for it to just sit in a parking lot, except to and from the airport, is just a waste. Trip would be in May more than likely.

Any ideas and/or help is appreciated.

Toot
03-04-2010, 19:23
You can take the train from BWI out to Harper's Ferry (with a stop in DC, IIRC). 3-4 days to do all of MD, shuttle back to HF & back the same way.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 19:31
Another possibility is New York. Take bus to Bear Mountain or train to Peekskill plus cab to Bear Mountain, hike 44 miles to Pawling, train back to New York.

Blissful
03-04-2010, 19:55
He said he wanted to go west of the Mississippi. :) But May is too early for many western mtns with snow pack. that leaves canyons etc

Maybe do some of the Benton McKaye Trail? Or the FL trail?

The Solemates
03-04-2010, 23:26
dude just rent a car. we do this all the time...fly into somewhere, drive, spent 4 days, flight back out. we spent a good 5 years doing this about once every three weeks before we up and had chillens. we still go but just not at that frequency. i dont understand your logic about not wanting to rent....and renting will be MUCH quicker than mass transit. and you dont eat into your hike time.

....but Salt Lake has mountains right next door...even closer than denver. so that may be an option. you can also fly into Reno or Tahoe and have mountains literally right next door.