PDA

View Full Version : Got Snow ?

veteran
03-04-2010, 19:14
We do.

Article from the Republican Newspaper, Oakland, Garrett County, MD.

http://www.therepublicannews.com/imagelarge.asp?id=5077%20border=

IS THIS REAL?

Yes, it is indeed very real, as all Garrett Countians are aware. The snow this winter is relentless, with more than 260 inches, or 22½ feet, having come down so far. The weather is a constant topic of conversation, and residents do wonder at times if anyone in the rest of the state truly understands what has happened up here. The area has garnered some state attention, with news stories in the larger newspapers and a report Tuesday evening on the Baltimore ABC television station. This photo was taken at one of the county's more notorious spots for drifting — near the intersection of Rt. 495 and O'Brien Road. Standing next to the 12-foot drift, helping to give the perspective, is Diana O'Brien. Today's issue contains several weather-related photographs throughout. Photo by Lisa Broadwater.

Roads are kept open by Big Bertha, a huge snowblower that can cut through a drift 10' high and 10' wide.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 19:27
Man, I spent the last 3 winters in Western MD, moved away last June, and look what happened! I miss it!

About a month ago after the PA Ruck driving in Garrett for some X-Country skiing, I noticed that Deep Creek Lake was completely frozen over. I recall some of the coves freezing in the last 3 years but never the big body of the lake.