PDA

View Full Version : Inaugaral hammocking trip

10-K
03-04-2010, 19:18
Well, 24 hours from now I'll be somewhere on the Foothills Trail fiddling with my hammock. I am somewhat apprehensive but looking forward to it.

I've got way too much stuff - extra carabiners, extra rope, extra stakes - you name it... I bet I have 6 lbs of hammock related gear but I don't want to leave anything to chance. My "luxury item" is 8 no-knot tarp guylines - I wanted to make that as idiot proof as possible until I learned the ropes so to speak.

Temps looking good - highs in the mid-60's, lows around 40 with mostly clear skies through Tuesday. That's about as good as I could get as far as forgiving conditions go.

Manwich
03-04-2010, 19:28
Good Luck! Keep us filled in

lobo41
03-07-2010, 09:28
Hey 10 K, I was one of the 3 guys who spoke briefly with you at the intersection of the Foothills with the trail to Big Bend Road. Would be interested in learning how the rest of your trip went. More importantly, would like your assessment of your new hammock.

Egads
03-07-2010, 09:32
What's your set up & did you slept warm?

Just Jeff
03-08-2010, 23:41
Yeah - how's your trip go?! I hammocked the FT when I lived in SC, right before I moved to CA. (I've sinced moved to NC and now to CO...military does that to ya!) it was a great trail and particularly suited to hammocking.

Looking forward to your trip details!

SGT Rock
03-08-2010, 23:48
Have fun with it. I just tried out my new hammock this last weekend. Mostly a success but a few tweaks needed.

10-K
03-09-2010, 08:52
http://picasaweb.google.com/tbradnc/FoothillsTrail35201038201077Miles#5446617244553121 106I'm fresh back from the hike.

First, I'd like to say that the Foothills Trail is incredible. If you've never hiked ths trail I highly, highly recommend it. It's well maintained, the views are awesome and if you like waterfalls this would be heaven for you.
As for ups and downs, it's very tame compared to the AT - there was only one serious climb and that's at the very eastern end up Sasafras Mt. There are good water sources every hour or so at least - no need to carry a lot of water.

As for the hammock, my setup is a Warbonnet Blackbird and a 10x12 silnylon Equinox tarp.

I had a great time with it. It was a perfect time to try it out - the temps ranged from the lower 30's to the upper 60's and I didn't see a cloud the entire hike - couldn't ask for more forgiving weather to make mistakes in. I have to say that it was about 1000 times better than sleeping on the ground as far as comfort goes. The difference is so great it's almost an unfair comparison....

The first 2 nights I pitched the tarp in an A frame configuration - the first night all the way to the ground, the second night I didn't pitch it as low. As there was no wind either night it didn't make a difference but I just wanted to try doing something different. The 3rd night was mild - I'm guessing the low was around 40 - I didn't pitch the tarp that night and had the pleasure of watching the constellations circle over my head. I can't seem to insert an image this morning but here is a pic of my 2nd night: http://picasaweb.google.com/tbradnc/FoothillsTrail35201038201077Miles#5446617244553121 106. (I'd appreciate it if any of you experienced guys would critique it and give me any suggestions for improvement).

My butt and back did get pretty darned cold the first 2 nights when it was in the lower 30's..... All I had for insulation was my folded up piece of tyvek and my 20* bag.

One thing I was worried about was having to sleep on my back all night and as it turns out I was able to sleep in pretty much any position without too much trouble. In fact, I'm a side sleeper and it was nearly perfect. I could curl up or I could stretch diagonally and lie flat on my side. Pretty neat.

Downsides. Having to pee requires major work. Once, I opened up the hammock, swung my feet out still in the bag with the hood over my head and bunny hopped a few feet away from the hammock to pee. I would hate to see a video of what that looked like. (I was in leaves so my bag was ok)

Another thing I missed was being able to roll over while still in my bag and fix breakfast. I like to eat breakfast in my bag and go back to sleep for a few minutes.

And of course there is the extra weight... My tarp, hammock, guylines and stakes weigh in just over 4 lbs.. That's about 1.25 lbs more than my Lunar Duo palace.

To surmise, I'm not going to sell my tent or my hammock - I can see times when I'd prefer one over the other. The hammock is the hands down winner for short summer section hikes and I think if it were any colder I'd take the tent and neoair. I need a bit more confidence to take a hammock with my when I hike from NY to ME this spring.

Overall: 3.5 stars. If you haven't tried a hammock it's definitely worth a serious look.

Just Jeff
03-09-2010, 09:16
Your post got cut off...

10-K
03-09-2010, 09:41
Your post got cut off...

Yeah, I was trying to paste in an image but it doesn't seem be working...

SGT Rock
03-09-2010, 10:36
That tarp looks huge.

10-K
03-09-2010, 10:41
That tarp looks huge.

10x12 - I'll go smaller when I know what I'm doing.

SGT Rock
03-09-2010, 10:45
Naw, huge can be a good thing.

I tried 10x6 on my thru and made it work, but bought an 8 x 10 when I got home because I wanted more down the sides. I lately got me a War Bonnet Edge tarp because I like the lay of it the best for solo. But we still take that 8x10 for someone to use on their rig when we go out as a family. It is nice to have a place where the entire family to go be together in camp in when it rains.

If you were near me, your place would be where we all went to visit during the rain storm LOL. :cool:

But yea, you will probably want something smaller to save some weight as you figure it out. I like the War Bonnet Edge SpinUL.

SGT Rock
03-09-2010, 10:47
Oh and get something more than a folded sheet of tyvek in the winter. You will freeze your butt off.

sparky2000
03-09-2010, 10:57
That is the Real negative with hammocks. Had a partener hiker try the hammock on the Fla. Trail and the temp dipped into the 20's at night. He froze. I was fine with a thermarest, lunar solo, in a 25 deg f sleeping bag.

10-K
03-09-2010, 11:10
Oh and get something more than a folded sheet of tyvek in the winter. You will freeze your butt off.

I knew that going in....

I could have taken a piece of ccf but.... you know... I have to strap it to the top of my pack and it raises the height of my pack so that it snags on things I duck my head to go under because I forget about the extra height. That's so annoying...

10-K
03-09-2010, 11:19
Just to add... I used no-knot tarp guylines and this tarp ridgeline. Well worth the money for a newbie...

http://www.whoopieslings.com/No_Knot_Tarp_Guylines.html

Just Jeff
03-09-2010, 23:51
That is the Real negative with hammocks. Had a partener hiker try the hammock on the Fla. Trail and the temp dipped into the 20's at night. He froze. I was fine with a thermarest, lunar solo, in a 25 deg f sleeping bag.

I've got several nights near and below zero in a hammock...warm and toasty. Not much heavier than a ground setup, but much more comfortable for me. Hammocking is a learned skill, just like camping was for everyone once up on a time. It's just a different set of skills and requires a different set of gear.

Knocking hammocking b/c the hammocker isn't prepared isn't really constructive.

mbiraman
03-10-2010, 02:46
Hey it sounds like you had a pretty good trip and saw some great scenery. A couple of things that would help you when the temps drop are an Under Quilt,( light and worth the$$) or ccf pad, cheaper not as sweet, and wearable quilts from Jack's r Better, bigger investment but allows you to get up and pee or make breakfast while wearing the bag. The Rock Wren from Feathered Friends also does that. As for peeing, I use a couple of plastic containers, one bigger ,one smaller. Turn on my side, pee in the small one, open the zip a bit , lean out and pour into the bigger one, leave small one on the ground and repeat when necessary without leaving the Hammock. Hardly have to wake up but some attention is needed. Good luck on your next hang, it will only get better.

10-K
03-10-2010, 05:34
One cool thing about hammocking w/o a tarp when it's clear like I did on my 3rd night is that you can be packed up and ready to go in like...2 minutes.

Just Jeff
03-10-2010, 09:22
I like hammocking w/o a tarp so I get the clear views. The wind makes it a little cooler, but unless it's a really cold night, I think it's worth it.

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 11:05
I like hammocking w/o a tarp so I get the clear views. The wind makes it a little cooler, but unless it's a really cold night, I think it's worth it.

I've done this. Sort of like Cowboy camping, but with a hammock. I guess that sort of camping needs a term - like Caballero Camping.

10-K
03-10-2010, 11:09
I've done this. Sort of like Cowboy camping, but with a hammock. I guess that sort of camping needs a term - like Caballero Camping.

That's what I did the 3rd night... There wasn't a cloud in the sky and I was hanging so that I could look up without any obstructions. It was the first time hiking that I'd ever been able to see the stars all night.

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 11:13
Sweet. :cool:

1azarus
03-10-2010, 11:28
warbonnet yeti uq

10-K
03-10-2010, 11:31
warbonnet yeti uq

I would, but then I'd be at 7 lbs.... Of course, warm weather is just around the corner.

How do you guys get your hammock weights so low? My hammock, tarp and stakes/guylines come in around 4.5 lbs.

I could get a smaller tarp but still....................

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 11:32
Check this out: http://hikinghq.net/stay_warm.html

About half way down the article it talks about staying warm in hammocks. Some of my stuff has changed, but the weight is still about the same.

10-K
03-10-2010, 11:33
Check this out: http://hikinghq.net/stay_warm.html

About half way down the article it talks about staying warm in hammocks. Some of my stuff has changed, but the weight is still about the same.

Thanks - I'll have a look.

(I've actually got a lot of good ideas from your site - I especially appreciate the info about pitching tarps...)

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 11:57
That article is fairly new.

For my latest packing list (I've done some recent gear changes)...

Winter:
Warbonnet Edge Tarp in SpinnUL......8.69oz
Warbonnet Door Kit........................6.64oz
JRB Weathershield bottom................7.42oz
Weathershield cover........................4.84oz
Clips to help with the cover..............1.41oz
JRB shock Cords..............................1.13oz
Tarp stuff sack...............................0.32oz
Toggles.........................................0. 42oz
Tree Huggers..................................1.84oz
4 MSR Needle Stakes........................1.27oz
Homemade hammock w/whoopie lines...9.58oz

Nunatak Backcountry Blanket.............26.18oz
JRB No-Sniveler................................21.02oz
Stuff sack for quilts..........................0.99oz

SGT Rock's Pocket Pad......................11.20oz
Winter Total....................................102.95oz or ~6.43 pounds

Spring/Fall:
Remove Weathershield......................-7.42
Remove Cover.................................-4.84
Remove Clips...................................-1.41
Remove 2 doors...............................-3.32
Spring/Fall Total................................-16.99
.................................................. ...85.96oz or ~5.4 pounds

Summer:
Remove shock cords.........................-1.13
Remove 2 doors...............................-3.32
Remove Nunatack quilt......................-26.18
Add Bugnet Top...............................4.88
Add clips for bugnet.........................1.41
Summer Total..................................-24.34
.................................................. ..61.62oz or ~3.9 pounds

MyName1sMud
03-10-2010, 12:35

I'm with Jeff

1azarus
03-10-2010, 15:26
i think a neoair short in the hammock is a really light alternative for spring and fall weather... and i really like the way it deflates to a small volume. a torso length uq is also a really good option. mid-summer i put 1/8" foam inside the back of my windshirt and put my pack under my legs -- that is a really unbeatable light solution. sometimes i'll put foam on the back of my pants legs, too, under montbell synthetic insul. pants. all these can be combined with a jrb modified poncho for a bit more warmth, and then you can ditch a rain jacket... i use the hennessey hammock lashing suspension system cause it doesn't get any lighter than that, even though it is a PITA. and i use a netless simple gathered end hammock, just bringing a head net when necessary. also, i really like to use a small - "hammock floss" tarp. it doesn't rain every night! when it does, i always camp near a shelter so i can run in and out of the shelter to deal with housekeeping issues. in the winter, i don't always use the tarp, and just hang (always alone...) in shelters -- so the tarp is emergency backup. and yes, i have used that small tarp in bad weather in the middle of the winter in snow. not fun, but ok... and i still am sooooooooooooo comfortable in my hammock.

Just Jeff
03-11-2010, 09:36
I need to update this, but here's a comparison of real-world hammock and ground setups with weights. I got these from posted systems rather than researching theoretical systems on manufacturers' website...b/c not very many people ACTUALLY hike with a 5x8 tarp and a 1/8" torso pad as their ground setup, but people would often compare the weight of a hammock setup to that standard.

Today, there are 1/2 and 2/3 underquilts to will bring these posted weights down even further.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

Here's one of the winter setups I carry. I could cut some weight out by changing the suspension (removing the biners...now I actually use Dutch Clips instead, which are much lighter), not using the tarp tensioners (almost 2 oz), and using a thinner top quilt.

DownHammock v2...19.2...Probably good to 25 F
Warbonnet Suspension...7.8...Weight includes 2 x 107" webbing (114g each), 2 x Camp Nano Biners (30g each), 4 x Triangle Rings (8g each), 2 x attachment cords (6g each)
Gossamer Gear Nitelite Torso Pad...3.9...Used as backpack frame, sitpad, and foot insulation for half-underquilts.
JRB Mt Washington 4...28.5...Lofts 4-5", differential cut to reduce compression and cold spots as underquilt. Used as top quilt.
OES MacCat Standard Tarp...13.5
JRB Self-Tensioning Line (STL)...1.7...Used to keep tarp lines tight.
Tarp Cordage...1.1
Y-stakes (4) w/ Bag...1.9...Includes stake bag (6g) and 4 Y-stakes (10g each)
Total - 50.1 oz - 3.1 lbs
So it's doable. If I use the Winter Yeti and take a hammock w/o bug net, it only adds a little bit of weight (probably less than a pound) and can take me to around zero. Feb 26th I had the Blackbird, Winter Yeti on bottom, JRB MW4 on top w/ the JRB hood, and the GossamerGear torso pad under my legs...it was zero and I was so warm there was condensation on the pad from my legs.

It's just a matter of figuring out what what style and gear works best for you. Based on the gear most people ACTUALLY use while hiking, hammocking is very close to ground weights. You might pay an 8 oz weight penalty for 6-8 hours of comfortable sleep. For me, that extra 8 oz of weight is definitely worth a full night's sleep...I'll have so much more energy the next day that I won't notice that difference in my pack.

YMMV.

redmarbleshoe
03-16-2010, 13:39
just a few thoughts to add. I'm 5'10" and I use a clark NA and a Blackbird. I like light, and comfort and cheap. Some things are best to make the investment, like a good TQ (top quilt) and an UQ (underquilt).

I use my Speer SPE. I put my GG 1/4 cc pad cut 20" wide and about 5' long, and shove that in it along with my NeoAir regular right down the center in the slot provided.

The GG pad fits nicely inside my Ariel pack (using it as a cylinder around the inside edges), and the NeoAir is perfect length to provide a pillow and also go under my feet. It immediately kicks back the body heat and I'm covered. I also carry some Wally world CC foam pad cut to size for the SPE slots that cover/guard my shoulders and hips from the chill.

For my TQ I use my Montbell SS #2 bag. Kind of overkill, but I like the fluffy comfort and it is still my lightest TQ option.

I also have 3oz down booties from Goosefeet if I really need it.

And I have the option of using my Te-Wa winter UQ.

But in all honesty, I could totally use my SPE set up, GG pad/NeoAir/side CC pieces, with my top quilt/bag, and get down to the upper 20s just fine, and I am a VERY Cold sleeper.

The UQ is an insurance piece in case the weather is unpredictable.

Anyways. The SPE is pretty cost effective, and you already have the NeoAir. Any length would work fine, just get a long enough piece of GG 1/4" pad. You will amaze yourself!

Just thoughts. Good luck, and have fun. Once you get your hammock all worked out, you will most likely never sleep on the ground AGAIN!

We have a beautiful Tarp tent, that hasn't been used since the hammocking addiction begun. phew...What an adventure you have started for yourself. Enjoy the ride!

chiefduffy
03-16-2010, 15:19
I agree about the SPE. I can go into the upper 20's and stay toasty with my home made spe and Jardine overquilt. Not any heavier than my tarptent/quilt/pad, but sooo much more comfortable.

- Duffy

dreed
03-23-2010, 22:55
first post here :) i lived upstate SC for a few years , thats where i got turned on to the Foothills Trail and backpacking , i've done weekends on the FT but never the whole thing , got it on my calender to go in May (i want it to be green out) and i'm flying across the country to see it again. I'm way excited about it!

anyways i spent all winter changing my gear out to hammocking, heres some of the gear i got new this year...

blackbird / whoopies
maccat spinn deluxe
tewa underquilt
ULA circuit

I went from about a 25/30 lb base to under about 10 lbs now ,wow..

Tinker
03-23-2010, 23:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502
A different way to insulate.

Tinker
03-23-2010, 23:04
Where I got the idea: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm

Just Jeff
03-23-2010, 23:59
When the FT is green, it's a tunnel. In the winter there are no leaves so there are lots of nice views. I did it in the Spring...there were some leaves that blocked a lot of views, but still several places where the views were nice. I think it would be a great trip during any season...just different. So hike it twice!
http://www.tothewoods.net/FTDay1.html

Speer Carrier
03-24-2010, 08:04

I carry several of those chemical hand warmers with me. You know, the ones that stay warm for about 7 hours after being exposed to air. I slip one behind me on the small of my back, and keep one on my chest, keeping a layer of clothing between the warmer and skin. It worked pretty well for me. I had found in the past that only my torso suffered from the cold, and these little hand warmers kept me pretty toasty.

Wags
03-26-2010, 00:19
I would, but then I'd be at 7 lbs.... Of course, warm weather is just around the corner.

How do you guys get your hammock weights so low? My hammock, tarp and stakes/guylines come in around 4.5 lbs.

I could get a smaller tarp but still....................

you gotta dump that tarp and get a spinntex one. it'll be 8x10 at about 11 or 12 ozs. then you're right around 2 lbs for hammock and tarp. maybe 2.5 with stakes and extra guys