PDA

View Full Version : Choosing between Two Backpacks

dperry
03-04-2010, 20:07
It's become clear that I need to get a lot more weight off my wife and onto myself, particularly for long trips. Neither of the backpacks I've had so far are big enough to do this. My mom and dad were very generous and got me a large REI gift card for Christmas, of which I still have a lot left. Looking at large and inexpensive backpacks on their site, the choice seems to come down to this:

http://www.rei.com/product/782949

or this:

http://www.rei.com/product/760601

These are the two that have enough capacity, are cheap enough, and will fit my size. Unfortunately, according to the customer reviews, each has a major problem. The Alps pack apparently squeaks like crazy. The High Sierra Pack has a huge waistbelt. I think I"m probably big enough for it right now, but once I start walking regularly again and lose a bit of weight, it might not fit any more (although the layers of clothing might make up for it.) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these and could give me more guidance. Thanks.

Roland
03-04-2010, 20:39
~ Unfortunately, according to the customer reviews, each has a major problem. ~

Why buy a pack with design flaws which have been qualified as a "major problem"?

There are other choices. Check out Osprey, Granite Gear and others.

grayfox
03-04-2010, 20:58
Ok David, I would not be happy with those packs-probably.

But let me just suggest another approach here. Buy a golite pinnacle, or something like it, for your wife. I suggest this pack because the weight to cubic inch ratio is so good. Then, give her all the lightest things--bags and pads for instance. Put all the dense things in your old pack--tent and food and water and all those little things that add up to more than you want them to. Even with your old packs,this might work for you-just always stay together on the trail.

If you have to carry absolutly everything, you need a good frame. Maybe even an external frame like the JS Carson.

JustaTouron
03-04-2010, 21:08
Ok David, I would not be happy with those packs-probably.

But let me just suggest another approach here. Buy a golite pinnacle, or something like it, for your wife. I suggest this pack because the weight to cubic inch ratio is so good. Then, give her all the lightest things--bags and pads for instance. Put all the dense things in your old pack--tent and food and water and all those little things that add up to more than you want them to. Even with your old packs,this might work for you-just always stay together on the trail.

If you have to carry absolutly everything, you need a good frame. Maybe even an external frame like the JS Carson.

I don't know why he would even buy his wife a new back... he is not trying to increase the overal cubic volume for his wife.

The other half of your suggestion can work without either getting a new pack. Just move the high density items from your wife to yourself and move the low density items to your wife.

sbennett
03-04-2010, 21:34
it might help you in the long run to spend your money on lighter/smaller gear and not a giant pack that you may eventually no longer need

srestrepo
03-04-2010, 22:09
i just got off of a hike with that high sierra pack... i'm no professional but, i love gear and i love packs specifically. i could not for the life of me, up and including unpacking and redistributing the weight in his pack, get this pack to ride straight on his back. it was ridiculous. i mean the bag literally sagged to one side and we had cinched and uncinched every strap. hip belt straps, sternum straps, main adjustment straps. trust me, you will not like these bags. your best bet is to stick it out on the gear forum and buy a good used bag than a crappy new one. best of luck either way.

tuswm
03-04-2010, 23:32
your best bet is to stick it out on the gear forum and buy a good used bag than a crappy new one. Best of luck either way.

+123456789

dperry
03-04-2010, 23:43
Sorry, there were a couple of things I should have specified earlier:

1.) I have about $105--110 left on the REI gift card.

2.) I really can't afford to spend much of my own money right now.

So anything new and much more expensive than these packs is out (lightweight is totally out), and buying new from anywhere other than REI is out.

I'm willing to check out the used gear forum for a while, but what are the chances that I'm going to find something really cheap and that fits me? I'm a 21 inch torso and about 36"-38" waist depending on how heavy I am at the moment.

I'll also try reapportioning the gear as Grayfox and JustaTouron suggest, but I should note that as it is, it's a bit of a struggle even packing for a three-day hike, much less a week. I'm not sure how much rearranging is really going to help. And at this point, I really have to make sure that I get a lot of the weight off my wife, because otherwise either our mileage or her enjoyment is going to be severely limited.

I appreciate everyone's concern, but at this point, the choice is between cheap gear or not backpacking.

tuswm
03-04-2010, 23:48
I have a few larger fiends 6'4" and 6'10" and athletic. Both have 0* synthetic sleeping bags and big tents and carry alot of food. They like carrying luxury things as well. They all love kelty red clouds. They come in 5000, 5600 and 6650 or 109L. We looked at REI and it was not listed on the web site. Then we looked at the Kelty website and it said it was sold at REI. We called REI and they ordered the packs we wanted.

I know they sell these packs alot of places like dicks, gander mtn, and bass pro shop but if you can use your gift certificate good luck. I hope this helps.

I saw one of the alps packs on the trail recently, I dont know if it was that one but it was big and had failed suspension.

dperry
03-05-2010, 00:00
I have a few larger fiends 6'4" and 6'10" and athletic. Both have 0* synthetic sleeping bags and big tents and carry alot of food. They like carrying luxury things as well. They all love kelty red clouds. They come in 5000, 5600 and 6650 or 109L. We looked at REI and it was not listed on the web site. Then we looked at the Kelty website and it said it was sold at REI. We called REI and they ordered the packs we wanted.

The Kelty packs are on sale at REI right now, but they are all $200-$210, which means $90-100 of my own money. Not happening anytime soon.

Also, both my current bags are Keltys, and I've had issues with both of them. On the internal, the zippers on one of the side pockets and on the inside mesh that squishes your stuff down failed, and on the external, the strap that holds down the cinch for the hip belt has come loose, rendering the hip belt of limited use. (The experiment with the external was unsatisfactory for a couple of other reasons as well.)

srestrepo
03-05-2010, 00:08
pm sent about a suggestion.

tuswm
03-05-2010, 00:11
http://www.rei.com/product/797929

Mountain Wildman
03-05-2010, 00:24
I searched on Buzzillions Reviews.
Alps=19 Reviews 4.3 stars
11 Reviews 3.4 stars
5 Reviews 4.6 stars

High Sierra=5 Reviews 4.0 stars
43 Reviews 3.8 stars
If I had to choose, I am leaning towards the High Sierra.
If you could come up with 65 bucks you could get the Osprey Aether 70 REI has on sale. A highly rated and very popular pack.
If someone is willing to buy your REI gift card from you, You could use the cash to have a better selection.
Campmor has the Golite Quest Large 4650 cu. in. 3 lbs. 5 oz. For $129.96

Mountain Wildman
03-05-2010, 00:26
REI Mars 85 Pack - Men's - '08
40 Reviews 4.1 stars for the 08 model.
No listing on the 09.

dperry
03-05-2010, 00:52
I searched on Buzzillions Reviews.
Alps=19 Reviews 4.3 stars
11 Reviews 3.4 stars
5 Reviews 4.6 stars

High Sierra=5 Reviews 4.0 stars
43 Reviews 3.8 stars
If I had to choose, I am leaning towards the High Sierra.
If you could come up with 65 bucks you could get the Osprey Aether 70 REI has on sale. A highly rated and very popular pack.
If someone is willing to buy your REI gift card from you, You could use the cash to have a better selection.
Campmor has the Golite Quest Large 4650 cu. in. 3 lbs. 5 oz. For $129.96

Hi, MW,

Neither of those is big enough. The Kelty internal I already have is 4700 cu. in. and that ain't cutting it.

The Mars you mention in your other post is more like it, but I'm still a bit concerned that that might not be enough.

Thanks,

dperry
03-05-2010, 00:58
Hi, MW,

Neither of those is big enough. The Kelty internal I already have is 4700 cu. in. and that ain't cutting it.

The Mars you mention in your other post is more like it, but I'm still a bit concerned that that might not be enough.

Thanks,

You and tuswm, sorry.

Mountain Wildman
03-05-2010, 01:19
It looks to me like the Sierra might be a good choice, Inevitably the choice is yours.
The Sierra got 4 stars out of 38 reviews and the Alps got 3 1/2 stars out of 11 reviews. I've read reviews on the Osprey Argon 110 at over 400 bucks where people had seam failures etc... I think it's a hit or miss situation unless you are in the position to get the best. You may have no problems with either pack you choose or it could fail while you are packing it. I think most products are made fairly well, We don't know how people treat their gear. Maybe the guys with failures on these 2 packs are real rough on them. Judging from the REI page the Sierra normally sold for 260 and the Alps for 169.99. Higher price may not always mean better but I find it usually does. Good Luck my friend!!

tuswm
03-05-2010, 01:56
what about cutting down on your total gear load?> what type of stuff are you packing?

Treefingers
03-05-2010, 02:17
PM you with a few ideas

bigcranky
03-05-2010, 08:38
what about cutting down on your total gear load?> what type of stuff are you packing?

This is my first thought, too. Rather than spend money on a new (and possibly not very good) pack, look at other possibilities first. When my wife and I go hiking, I do carry a little more than she does (which is only fair, considering I outweigh her by a few score pounds.) But it's not like I have to carry 65 pounds so she can carry 20. (Actually, she carries around 20, which is her base load plus her share of the shared gear, plus water.)

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. Redistribute the load so you have all the heavy stuff, which might be more compact and fit in your current pack. Tent, food, cook kit, that sort of thing. Let her carry the pads, sleeping bags, and her clothing.

2. Reconsider the gear you are taking. I know when my wife and I started, our first hike I was carrying 65 pounds and she was carrying 45. For a 3-night hike in mild May weather that covered less than 20 miles.

If you really want a load hauler, and you live anywhere near NC, I can sell you my old Gregory Shasta for a good price. 5700+ cubic inches, under 6 pounds, carries 65+ pounds very well. It'll do the job you want.

JustaTouron
03-05-2010, 08:55
How much stuff are the two of you bringing?

4700 CU should be enough space for a lot of gear if you are not carrying sleeping bag or mattress. If your wife is carrying both mattresses and sleeping bags and maybe some of the ligher weight bulky spare clothing she should be very light. And you should have plenty of room.

If you have already done that. Instead of looking at a new pack, maybe thinking of upgrading some other gear. Like getting rid of the two burner propane stove or large cooking pot set or canvas tent.

mister krabs
03-05-2010, 11:00
I can't speak to the High Sierra gear, but the tents I have from Alps are very good quality. Their construction details are excellent and heavier duty than most of their competitors.

From their pack spec page:
Construction Details - All inside seams are double sewn and covered with "seam corner binding". All stress points are bartacked (not just backtacked ) at least once. When possible, gussets are used to further distribute the stress over a larger area. All nylon webbing is hot cut to deter raveling. Larger than normal zippers are used (#10 on larger openings - #8 on pockets) to lessen the chance for failure. Nickel plated zipper sliders are used for the longest closure life.

Either way it's REI, so you can buy either and return if you don't like it.

tuswm
03-05-2010, 13:21
Also I bet there is someone on here with a nice large pack that would trade for an REI girf car.

LIhikers
03-05-2010, 21:47
.....And at this point, I really have to make sure that I get a lot of the weight off my wife, because otherwise either our mileage or her enjoyment is going to be severely limited. ......

Low mileage is better than no mileage. Don't give up.

sbennett
03-05-2010, 22:41
I don't know if you're aware but REI is giving an extra 20% off of anything purchased from the REI Outlet. They have a lot of nice packs on there...maybe the discount can help you get a better pack than before?

Skidsteer
03-05-2010, 22:52
Sorry, there were a couple of things I should have specified earlier:

1.) I have about $105--110 left on the REI gift card.

2.) I really can't afford to spend much of my own money right now.

So anything new and much more expensive than these packs is out (lightweight is totally out), and buying new from anywhere other than REI is out.

I'm willing to check out the used gear forum for a while, but what are the chances that I'm going to find something really cheap and that fits me? I'm a 21 inch torso and about 36"-38" waist depending on how heavy I am at the moment.

I'll also try reapportioning the gear as Grayfox and JustaTouron suggest, but I should note that as it is, it's a bit of a struggle even packing for a three-day hike, much less a week. I'm not sure how much rearranging is really going to help. And at this point, I really have to make sure that I get a lot of the weight off my wife, because otherwise either our mileage or her enjoyment is going to be severely limited.

I appreciate everyone's concern, but at this point, the choice is between cheap gear or not backpacking.

I've got a Gregory Shasta I could sell you cheap but you might come out ahead using the gift card to get some lighter gear and keep using the pack you have now as others have said.

thelowend
03-06-2010, 02:38
i just got off of a hike with that high sierra pack... i'm no professional but, i love gear and i love packs specifically. i could not for the life of me, up and including unpacking and redistributing the weight in his pack, get this pack to ride straight on his back. it was ridiculous. i mean the bag literally sagged to one side and we had cinched and uncinched every strap. hip belt straps, sternum straps, main adjustment straps. trust me, you will not like these bags. your best bet is to stick it out on the gear forum and buy a good used bag than a crappy new one. best of luck either way.

are you referring to the high sierra long trail 90?

srestrepo
03-06-2010, 09:53
yeah that one

dperry
03-07-2010, 23:34
Well, to let you know the resolution. . .thanks to sbennett for pointing out the extra 20% sale at REI Outlet. This led me to recheck Mountain Wildman's suggestion of the Mars pack (thanks to him for that), and I noticed that it comes in a large size which would fit me and has sufficient capacity. With the 20% discount, that came within my budget, so I have gone ahead and ordered one. Thanks to all for the suggestions, offers to sell their packs to me, etc.

Also, to answer the concerns some had, while we're not obsessive gram counters, we're not ridiculous either. For instance, our tent is a Eureka Zeus 2, which comes in at a hair over 4 lbs. Given that it's quite roomy (important for my 6'4" self), has two exits, etc., that's pretty good. Our sleeping bags aren't bad either, we have good quality and light clothing, a small canister stove, etc. We have only two major extravagances. One is our old large pot, which is aluminium, so it isn't too bad, and it allows us to cook enough food for both at once, which is a big time saver. The other is our Ursack. I know some of you hate them, but I'm not good with ropes and throwing things into trees (I have enough trouble remembering how to tie the Ursack to a tree properly), so we're sticking with that.

Also, I have experimented with just putting the two sleeping bags, drinks, snacks and clothes into my wife's bag. She tried it on and thinks it will be a lot better. With the new bag, I should be able to take care of all of the other major items. So thanks to all who suggested that as well.

srestrepo
03-08-2010, 01:40
Hey Glad you could get it all worked out in the end.