PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes Newbies make IYO

Loneoak
03-04-2010, 22:10
First let me say, I am a retired FF from TN and have only made a few post but searching the internet for several weeks, tryin to learn about A T Hikes. I have never hiked before and have no equipment as of yet, except boots: (Asolo Fames), just purchased.
Reason for purchasing these, I like Asolo and this is the type foot wear I am comfortable with wearing every day.
Considering doing a tru hike in 2011 if things work out.

If any would like to chime in and tell us Newbies (hopefully I am not alone), what are the numerous mistakes we make, besides to heavy of a pack.
I am thinking around 30-35 lbs tops with either a Osprey 70 or Balltoro 70, along with a down bag Marrot 20 degree, and I really like the Big Agus pad.

Any thing you would to share as to what to expect, gear problems we face, heck, just any ol thing would be a big help.

Glad to have found this site and thanks for all the great folks who take time to run it and for those of you who help in many ways with your post.

thanks again

Mountain Wildman
03-04-2010, 22:18
I am a newbie to backpacking as well. I posted my list previously but you are probably better off not seeing it. I am planning a 2011 Thru also. Good Luck!!
See you out there!!

SGT Rock
03-04-2010, 22:20
Focusing on gear too much.

fiddlehead
03-04-2010, 22:22
Simple: they carry way too much stuff. (and are often out of shape to begin their hike)

But, we've all been there too. Just stop in Hiawasee and send everything home that you don't need. (like I did and many have)

Since you haven't bought your gear yet, read through some advice on here, buy some stuff (or make your own) and go out and try it before you hit Springer.
If you do this a few times, you may not even have to send a third of your gear home in Hiawasee.

Mags
03-04-2010, 22:49
Sounds awesome! I'd get in some more backpacking trips before you go for the big event. Besides being fun (who doesn't want to go on weekend backpacking trips???), it will let you test out your gear and help you to get a base level of pre-trail fitness. Too many people ignore being in decent shape before their AT hike.

If you have the time and resources, you may want to do a shorter 1-2 week hike before going on the AT. Besides being fun and letting you dial in your gear, it will let you discover if long distance hiking is for you or not.
(Better yet, something like Vermont's Long Trail is a great way to prep for the AT)

Good luck. Be safe. And have fun!

(See..I really do tell people this advice! :D)

Terry7
03-04-2010, 22:49
dont start out with a 5-6 pound pack [thats the pack weight empty] there are great packs in 1-2 pound range. I had the baltoro 2 years back its a great pack if your going out for a week with no resupply, but on the A.T. you can resupply about every 3 days.

Many Walks
03-04-2010, 23:14
Confess your newbie-hiker blunders... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49423&highlight=newbie+mistakes) lot's of info in this thread.

beas
03-04-2010, 23:22
From a fella fireman from the West end of Tennessee congrats on your retirement. I hope you are in decent shape. I have seen lots of guys over the last 18 yrs leave very over weight and in poor health.
I would recomend going over to the sister sight www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net) and checking out the hanging world. The only way to go!
Keeping dry, good sleep, and light as you can be to make you happy. I think you must decide do you " hike to camp or do you camp so you can hike" that will determine how light you will eventually get.

Never lay out short same as the job.

Beas

moytoy
03-04-2010, 23:28
Mags and Rock have your back here! Take baby steps! Then move on to bigger steps! Don't get all tied up in your gear selection. Buy some basics and go out and use it for a couple days. Add to it and get rid of what you don't like or use. I've been working on this method for ....well.... close to .. well a long long time. Someday I'll get there.

Bronk
03-05-2010, 02:11
Most people are in too big of a hurry to get to the next shelter, next road crossing, next town, next restaurant, next shower, next hostel, whatever...on and on. Stop and smell the roses.

prain4u
03-05-2010, 02:30
You MIGHT need a warmer sleeping bag--depending upon when you start. It gets cold in those mountains. A 20 degree bag MAY not be warm enough at certain times of the year. In February--record lows on Springer Mountain get into the single digits--maybe even to 1-2 degrees below zero. At "average" temps--you would probably be O.K. with a 20 degree bag.

Try to BORROW some gear from other hikers (if you can)--in order to test things out on weekend trips. That is far cheaper than buying things and deciding that you don't like them.

BUY YOUR BACKPACK LAST! (After you have gathered together everything else). That way, you will have a good idea how much weight and "volume" your pack will need to carry. (Buying the wrong pack too early--and then having to buy another one--drives up your costs).

You report that you want to carry 30-35 lbs. Yet, your proposed backpacks are designed to carry twice that amount. Such packs MAY be overkill. (Your proposed packs weigh 5-6 lbs--as opposed to the 3 pounds that some other packs weigh--that are designed to carry 40 lbs).

You will be at least age 55 when you start your hike (I am 48). Start slow and also hike low mile days during the early weeks of your hike. Maybe even take some "zero" or "nearo" days early on--where you hike zero or nearly zero miles. Let your bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments and feet get used to the strains of the trail--and allow time for things to rest and "heal". Going too fast too early may mean that you go home (too fast and too early!). You can pick up the miles and the pace once your body acclimates to the trail.

MedicineMan
03-05-2010, 06:44
Start out slow and then slow down...works for thru'ers, day'ers, section'ers too.
Every step, really every step on the AT is a gift...you'll probably never step in that same spot again so cherish it.
Forget the hammock thing-overrated by a long shot.
Start walking at least 5 days a week-why not? Vary the terrain, the load, get comfortable smiling in the rain and in the cold.

Ox97GaMe
03-05-2010, 09:25
There are two very common mistakes that I see with thru hikers in Georgia that can be avoided.....

1) take all your gear out of its packaging and test it out. Know how it works, and know how to fix it if it breaks. OJT with gear in the woods is not fun, unless you are one of the folks watching.

2) packing the pack in an efficient manner. I cant tell you how many hikers I have seen that have a 'pack explosion' in a downpour. They are digging through their pack trying to find their shelter, their rain jacket, or their pack cover. It has been buried in the bottom of the pack and the only way to get it is to completely unload the contents of the pack itself. While you are digging through the pack, EVERYTHING is getting wet and/or muddy.

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 09:29
Where in TN? Damascus is just over the NE border. Has 2 great Outfitters and lots of trails to test out that new gear and do some shakedown hikes.

mweinstone
03-05-2010, 09:34
bring your life to the trail as it is. dont invent a new diet or pace. let only the suroundings change. have no agenda. no start date. no end date. no preset stops or drops. get a bag of stuff and walk down the trail and let your mind heal.

Loneoak
03-05-2010, 09:44
Ya'll are doing a great job with all the suggestions :) Keep um coming. Surely I am not the only one benefiting from this post.
Pebble Puppy, I am in the chattanooga area, Damascus would be quite a ways from me.

white_russian
03-05-2010, 09:45
The biggest mistake is not enough experience. Equipment and physical condition are both secondary to feeling 100% comfortable in the woods. I am lucky that my dad had me backpacking when I was in grade school, but you know what we had some of the cheapest equipment and we were not doing many miles at all.

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 09:58
Newbies plan way tooooo much. So do some veterans IMO. If you "know" that the 2nd Saturday in June will be a nearo into town before the P.O. closes then another 12 miles after a stop at the library you are planning way too much. Even if you stick to that spreadsheet 100% it takes all the spontaneity out of the journey. If you want to do a few maildrops sure. At night plan for the next day sure. Some just take it to the extreme. I did hear 1 story of a couple who wound up getting off the trail because they fell a day or two behind there schedule and therefor would never be able to finish. This occured in the 1st 1/2 of their hike. Gear? Yes very important. Be prepared for cold, ice, rain, wind etc.... Schedules? Throw em' away (in the recycle bin)

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 10:07
newbies spend WAY too much money on new gear 30 miles into the trip at neel gap. don't fall for the pack shakedown thing

mweinstone
03-05-2010, 10:14
newbees buy cheap gear that needs replaceing at neels. thank god they have such a good shake down .

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 10:17
newbees buy cheap gear that needs replaceing at neels. thank god they have such a good shake down .
How else would I have known that a bowling ball was not essential gear? I heard PA had a lot of lanes.

09Highlander
03-05-2010, 10:27
I think that everyone has given some great advice but I find myself mostly on the other side of things. I had never hiked a day in my life and had spent two whole nights in the woods. I did copious research on my gear, bought it all and started my thru. I had four months to finish(although I ended up using 4.5), I enjoyed every minute of my hike and found like minded people to hike with. As much as I hate the phrase "Hike your own hike", it really can be usefull. If you want to prep for it, prep for it, if not don't. The best advice I can give though that I think everyone can agree on is once you are out there, listen to your body. If it hurts take it easy, if you need a day off take a day off. I saw so many people hike through some ridiculous pain only to be forced to take a week or two off to heal. Don't do that. Also I think training is a good idea, done in moderation obviously. No one ever says, damn...I wish i was in worse shape.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 10:29

your opinion but i disagree. it's a business

sidebackside
03-05-2010, 10:39
bring your life to the trail as it is. dont invent a new diet or pace. let only the suroundings change. have no agenda. no start date. no end date. no preset stops or drops. get a bag of stuff and walk down the trail and let your mind heal.

Good word man.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

stumpknocker
03-05-2010, 10:40
The best advice I can give though that I think everyone can agree on is once you are out there, listen to your body. If it hurts take it easy, if you need a day off take a day off.

Great advice!! :)

garlic08
03-05-2010, 10:43
I'm a retired FF from the Colorado foothills. Welcome to AT world.

I'll reiterate what Mags says about getting some experience. An AT thru hike is a tough place to learn ALL your lessons about long distance hiking. It would be good to learn how to handle snow before you're 30 miles into the Smokies, for instance. It would be good to know if you can hump your load 4000 vertical feet up out of NOC before you're halfway up and you cramp up horribly, and you don't know if it's because your pack's too heavy, you're really out of shape, or are merely slightly dehydrated or skipped your last snack break.

In short, experience and fitness are very important factors. Gear is kind of important, but not as much as you'd think by reading this forum.

Colter
03-05-2010, 10:45
I think many of us have this idea of what a long hike will be like, based largely on what we want it to be. It goes something along this line. "This is going to be AWESOME! I LOVE camping! I'm going to see SO MANY ANIMALS! The views are gonna be FANTASTIC! It will be SO COOL when I finish!!!"

But then it rains more than expected. It's hotter and more humid. The trail is much steeper than expected. The knees hurt. The feet are blistered. I'm dirty and tired and bored. The comforts of home are missed, as are loved ones. 2,000 miles and months of the trail lie ahead. It doesn't seem worth it. I thought it was going to be so much fun.

But if I EXPECT many of these issues to crop up, it won't be nearly so disheartening. If I stay aware all the time I can be delighted at magical things around me that I hadn't expected. Wow, cool flowers! It sure smells nice when it rains. I wonder who built that old stone wall? Here's that neat old tree I've seen pictures of! The sun is out! I've already walked TWO HUNDRED MILES!! This is the best thing I've ever done!!!

The best way to have realistic expectations is to go out backpacking, especially if there is some bad weather mixed in and it's a trip of at least several days. And then, when you're actually hiking down the AT, remember the words of Kurt Vonnegut, do your best to "ignore the bad times and concentrate on the good." There are countless good times on an AT hike, and the experience is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Jim Adams
03-05-2010, 10:45
Don't worry about the gear or the gear weight as long as you are happy with your gear.
Probably the best advice I could give learned from personal experience, watching and talking to others over the past 20 years...DO NOT WORRY ABOUT A SCHEDULE OR YOUR SPEED!!!!!!
There have been thousands before you that quit because they are so depressed that they aren't able to go fast enough OR get injured trying to go too fast too soon.
Speed will come if you want it to. You will get into better conditioning. Don't ruin your hike because of poor perceptions about your progress.
HAVE FUN!...IT MAY BE THE ONLY TIME IN YOUR LIFE TO EXPERIENCE SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

geek

sbhikes
03-05-2010, 10:58
Don't bring too many expectations to the hike. This goes for veterans, too.

Read journals on trailjournals.com.

Do train. Spend at least 6 weeks (more if you're really out of shape) walking everywhere. Use your backpack to go do laundry and buy groceries. Walk to meet friends for coffee or food. Hike somewhere on the weekends even if it's an urban hike in some hilly part of town.

Set up all your gear in your back yard or at a park so that you know how it works before you get out there. Cook with your stove, too.

Blissful
03-05-2010, 11:02
Throw preconceived plans out the window. Take it day by day.

Scooby99
03-05-2010, 11:44
If you havent purchased any gear yet, and plan on leaving later in the season, there is no reason not to leave with a 10-12lb base wt, including a tent, stove and all the necessities, Search out the cottage industry of lightweight gear and for the same money you would spend on mainstream, heavyish gear, you can build a very nice setup that will make the first 100-200 miles much easier. Between Zpacks, mountain laurel design, Bozeman mountain works, montbell, gossamer gear, and others you can put together a lightweight pack. On top of that, if you live near some mountains get yourself up to 10-15 mile day hikes with your loaded pack, maybe 100-150 miles total before you leave.. The southern section IS NOT difficult if you leave in any semblence of shape and carry a lightish pack. I hiked roughly 150 miles of day hikes up around Bear Mtn, NY, not the hardest part of the trail by far, before my section hike from Springer to Newfound Gap, and with a 20lb fully loaded pack found the section ridiculously easy, and was covering 12-18 miles from the start. Set yourself up for success, by arriving in shape and with a light pack.

mister krabs
03-05-2010, 11:56
I have never hiked before and have no equipment as of yet, except boots: (Asolo Fames), just purchased.
thanks again

I saw someone from mountain crossings post this a while ago, and it seemed like a simple idea to me. While they may have an interest in this business, I don't.

If you have no gear at all, just go to Neel Gap with 1500 dollars and buy your whole kit at once. You'll avoid lots of gear mistakes and end up with a kit that fits you and will suit your needs.

Like lone wolf says, Mountain crossings is a business. One that relies on lots of people replacing unsuitable gear with gear that is more suitable for the AT. If you start out there, you will be ahead of the game and probably save time and money in the long run.

bigcranky
03-05-2010, 13:01
If you have no gear at all, just go to Neel Gap with 1500 dollars and buy your whole kit at once. You'll avoid lots of gear mistakes and end up with a kit that fits you and will suit your needs.

Totally agree. Going to an outfitter that specializes in what long distance hikers need is a huge step in the right direction.

Mags
03-05-2010, 13:15
In short, experience and fitness are very important factors. Gear is kind of important, but not as much as you'd think by reading this forum.

As I like to say, gear is important..it is just the least important part of hiking. :sun

buff_jeff
03-05-2010, 14:50
The biggest mistake is not enough experience. Equipment and physical condition are both secondary to feeling 100% comfortable in the woods. I am lucky that my dad had me backpacking when I was in grade school, but you know what we had some of the cheapest equipment and we were not doing many miles at all.

I agree. It probably took me about 300 miles of section hiking to get comfortable with the whole deal. I'm heading out for a 5 day hike with my brother and friend. Neither of them have ever done anything more than a day hike, and that was years ago, so it'll be interesting to see how much fun they have. :D

HeartFire
03-05-2010, 14:57
Go to the Gathering in October, you will get lots of good information, meet lots of hikers and get a wide assortment of view points.http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm

SGT Rock
03-05-2010, 15:02
If you ain't got your gear yet, just go to Neels gap before you hike and avoid buying all new stuff when you hike through there LOL.

brian039
03-05-2010, 21:48
Don't buy cheap gear, you'll just end up replacing it with the higher quality stuff.

ASUGrad
03-09-2010, 16:20
Thinking I was in shape
Thinking that kids were in shape because they played soccer.
If you try to go to sleep or try to stay awake, you will fail.