PDA

View Full Version : Hiawassee Inn Update

Ron Haven
03-04-2010, 22:43
Trail Friends, :sun

I have waited til now to pass this info.I will be the new owner of the Hiawassee Inn tomorrow morning.After running My Winding Stair Shuttle I am heading for Hiawassee to close the deal with the bank.I haven't said anything because anytime you are dealing in a foreclosure anything can happen.

My attorney advise me that everything was waiting for my signature tomorrow morning.If I can get the water & electric on tomorrow also I have my crew ready to hit it wide open.We are hoping to be open to rent rooms by next weekend.

I have already bought another bus and an extra van to give the same hiker service in Hiawassee as I have gave for the last 10 years in Franklin.I will have a free morning shuttle from Unicoi Gap & Dicks Creek Gap into Hiawassee and a return shuttle back to the trail in the morning.

They are some great local shuttlers in the area for slack packing or for my guest you can catch the bus.We will also be accepting free guest mail drops.Although I have computers for my guest in all three of my motels in Franklin,I may not have that at first in Hiawassee but the library is only a few hundred feet away.I am looking forward to serving you.

I will be listing the new phone number of Hiawassee Inn as soon as I get it.If you need info you can call Haven's Budget Inn of Franklin. http:/FranklinBudgetInn.Com/

For a little early on,this is the last season it will be Hiawassee Inn.I am going to Change the name to Budget Inn and the website will be http://HiawasseeBudgetInn.Com
I have plans to make space to accommodate more hikers than before. thanks Ron

SGT Rock
03-04-2010, 22:47
Good deal.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 22:50
Congrats Ron and best of luck to you. Another great service for hikers!

gravy4601
03-04-2010, 22:54
you going to need any help for stay in a few weeks i'll be walking thru :D

white_russian
03-04-2010, 22:56
This is awesome. Any idea of what the rates will be?

Egads
03-04-2010, 23:00
cool, congratulations :banana

ARambler
03-04-2010, 23:03
Congratulations. Good to hear that servicies are improving where they are needed most.
Rambler

Skidsteer
03-04-2010, 23:03
Great news Ron.

iTrod
03-04-2010, 23:07
Thanks for keeping the Hiawassee Inn going. Great news!

The General
03-04-2010, 23:08
Fantastic News Ron,

I stayed at the Hiawassee Inn on both my Tru's in 04 and 08 I see no reason not to on my next.

Just got to keep working on the wife to sign me off. See you soon Ron in Both Hiawassee and Franklin.

GeneralLee10
03-04-2010, 23:34
Way to go!:banana Good Luck, I just mite one of your first 100 customers this season.

Bearpaw
03-04-2010, 23:41
Congratulations Ron! Hiawassee just got even friendlier to hikers.

Lyle
03-04-2010, 23:44
Great news for all hikers Ron. I was very pleased with my stay at both Hiawassee Inn and at your motel in Franklin a couple of years ago. Very glad to hear you will be continuing the great services the Hiawassee Inn and you have always been know for in Hiawassee too.

Congratulations, and Best of Luck.

peanuts
03-04-2010, 23:45
congratulations ron!! great news:banana

Ron Haven
03-04-2010, 23:51
you going to need any help for stay in a few weeks i'll be walking thru :Dyou know me.

This is awesome. Any idea of what the rates will be?rates for hikers will be the same as Franklin Budget Inn $39.99 1st hiker and $5ea for additional guests

Great news Ron.Thanks for all of the congradulations.It will be tough running both this year and completing total plans until after hiker season especially and me campaining for county commissioner in NC,but along about June I will call on a big hiker celebration :banana PARTY :bananaand all of you know the rest :banana

K2
03-04-2010, 23:57
Congratulations, Ron. Happy Trails to you ;)

l0ngterm
03-05-2010, 08:37
Ron - Awesome news. Congratulations. I definitely look forward to increased "Haven Range".

l0ngterm

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 08:40
Most businesses fail in the first year. This will never work.

Mrs Baggins
03-05-2010, 08:49
Congrats Ron! Always grand to know there's a friendly face and good name to call on!

Cookerhiker
03-05-2010, 08:58

Why the negativity?:rolleyes: It's not like Ron's a novice at running motels - he knows what he's doing.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 09:02

Why the negativity?:rolleyes: It's not like Ron's a novice at running motels - he knows what he's doing.

he's just tryin' to be funny. fail. nobody's as funny as me

Tennessee Viking
03-05-2010, 09:17
Congrats Ron...Now you just got to find a place in Tennessee now.

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 09:25
Congrats Ron...Now you just got to find a place in Tennessee now.
Laurel Creek Lodge is up for sale.

shades of blue
03-05-2010, 09:55
Congrats Ron. I'm glad that Hiawassee Inn will be hiker friendly once again. Good luck and thanks for all the hard work.

white_russian
03-05-2010, 09:58
Ron, have you considered doing a courier service between Hiawassee and Franklin for bounce boxes. I am not usually a bounce box person because of the price of postage, but if you could do something for like 2 bucks I would be interested.

stumpknocker
03-05-2010, 10:34
It will be tough running both this year and completing total plans until after hiker season especially and me campaining for county commissioner in NC

Hey Ron...you'd have my vote if I lived in your county. Government needs more people like you. Good luck!! :)

IceAge
03-05-2010, 11:04
If this continues, we'll have to change the name to "The Haven's Budget Trail"!

Congrats Ron, you're good people.

Blissful
03-05-2010, 11:05
Wow, Ron. GREAT news!

Rowdy Yates
03-05-2010, 14:29
Hey Ron, YOU TOTALY ROCK!
Congrats and hope you win your public bid for County Commissioner

Ewker
03-05-2010, 14:30
congrats Ron!!!

HeartFire
03-05-2010, 14:53
Wow, this is fantastic, can we look forward to spreading the Hikers Haven further up the trial?

Skidsteer
03-05-2010, 15:39
Hey Ron...you'd have my vote if I lived in your county. Government needs more people like you. Good luck!! :)

A bunch of us in the area are trying to get Ron to bus us in on Election day. :D

mikec
03-05-2010, 16:45
Congrats! I stayed there in 1999 and was sad when I read that it closed. I thought it was a nice place. I wish you the best.

SmokeEater
03-05-2010, 17:20
Im sure he will kinda like he has failed with the rest of his motels.lol

Jester2000
03-05-2010, 17:54
Yet another sign that you should never play Monopoly against Ron for money.

ChinMusic
03-05-2010, 17:58
Great news Short Bus.

Love capitalism.

Love entrepreneurs.

Ron Haven
03-05-2010, 19:43
Ron, have you considered doing a courier service between Hiawassee and Franklin for bounce boxes. I am not usually a bounce box person because of the price of postage, but if you could do something for like 2 bucks I would be interested.I haven't but that is a great idea,thanks

Hey Ron...you'd have my vote if I lived in your county. Government needs more people like you. Good luck!! :)Stump,I know you would.Hope to see you this year.

A bunch of us in the area are trying to get Ron to bus us in on Election day. :DI needs ome hiker endorsements,huh?

Yet another sign that you should never play Monopoly against Ron for money.Jester,sorry I missed you when you come thru the other day.

Friends,the closing went well and I am officially the owner and I thank all of you for your congradulations and hope to open a great hiker service in Hiawassee.Unfortunatly I can't get the electric,water,cable tv,credit card machine and the phone all turned on until Monday March 8th.I am still hoping to be open mid next week.

By the way the phone listed in the guide books is the same number I will get which is 706-896-4121

generoll
03-05-2010, 20:11
good to see you today, even if it was brief. Will you be over here on Sunday any time?

Ron Haven
03-05-2010, 22:09
good to see you today, even if it was brief. Will you be over here on Sunday any time?My oppointment with the attorney was when you came but I will be there more.If fact I think I will be running morning shuttles in Hiawassee and a friend running in the morning in Franklin.I will drive to Franklin about 1pm to do evening shuttles in town.My first publc job was driving a school bus in 1974

solace
03-05-2010, 23:53

Ron Haven has done business the RIGHT WAY... ALL THE WAY! And, all the time! I don't believe you know much of him, or the trail & services in this area. If you met Ron, you would change your mind in a second. I volunteer with him a few weeks almost each year, and his businesses do ONE THING.. SUCCEED :)

Now from Hiawassee to Franklin.. PLENTY of Miles & Smiles :sun

Solace ~

take-a-knee
03-06-2010, 00:39
Yes, this is truly good news. Congrats Ron and I hope you keep the place packed, I plan to get up there as much as possible. You might consider catering to hunters there in OCT/NOV.

Praha4
03-06-2010, 02:53
hey that's great news Ronnie, I'll be comin thru there in early April, will be lookin for that shuttle to Hiawassee. The hiking business must be good!

Ron Haven
03-06-2010, 21:26
The more I think about it.That is a good Idea for people in Hiawassee who will be my guest in Franklin too,for me to carry mail drops from Hia to Fra because I will be traveling back and forth each day.

cowpoke
03-06-2010, 21:51
Outstanding....Life on the AT just got better...have enjoyed your services in Franklin...just sorry I have already passed Hiawassee....looking forward to using your services again in a month or so as I work my way towards NOC....thanks....cheers.

Spirit Walker
03-09-2010, 16:54
FYI - the Holiday Inn Express no longer has "Hiker Rates" - it's $79 for a room for two people.

toenail
03-09-2010, 21:40
Congratulations Ron, my wife and I stayed at your place 4 years ago. You took us all over town while we did laundry and got grocerys. Treated us like one of your own. I'm sure you've done that for countless other hikers. Thanks Ron.

K2
03-10-2010, 00:59
Hey Ron, Just a bit of trivia:

I'm distantly related to all the Moodys in Western NC and Georgia. There's a place in Hiawassee that is call "Moody Hollar". It is named after my great-uncle Wiley, who built a lot of the homes there.

BTW, my last name isn't Moody, but I am moody a lot. :)

double d
03-10-2010, 03:45
you know me.

rates for hikers will be the same as Franklin Budget Inn $39.99 1st hiker and $5ea for additional guests

Thanks for all of the congradulations.It will be tough running both this year and completing total plans until after hiker season especially and me campaining for county commissioner in NC,but along about June I will call on a big hiker celebration :banana PARTY :bananaand all of you know the rest :banana
thats great news Ron, congrats on your new purchase.

Ron Haven
03-11-2010, 00:17
Hey Ron, Just a bit of trivia:

I'm distantly related to all the Moodys in Western NC and Georgia. There's a place in Hiawassee that is call "Moody Hollar". It is named after my great-uncle Wiley, who built a lot of the homes there.

BTW, my last name isn't Moody, but I am moody a lot. :)I know of Moody's

Congratulations Ron, my wife and I stayed at your place 4 years ago. You took us all over town while we did laundry and got grocerys. Treated us like one of your own. I'm sure you've done that for countless other hikers. Thanks Ron.thanks for your patronage.

FYI - the Holiday Inn Express no longer has "Hiker Rates" - it's $79 for a room for two people.Spirit Walker I have the best motel rates in Hiawassee for hikers :sun I am also open now.My phones will be working Fri.I am going to take one of my buses there to do a return at 9am to Unicoi and Dicks creek trail heads.If you need shuttles any other time 1-706-653-7417 and there will be a $10 charge to come in or go back at other times.I will be traveling and working in Franklin too.I have other people to run anytime shuttles in Franklin and I will be doing the in town shuttle myself in Franklin.

Tinker
03-11-2010, 00:21
Watch out that the feds don't bust you for being a "monopoly", Ron :D.
I should be down that way in, oh, 3 years or so.

Ron Haven
03-12-2010, 00:56
Watch out that the feds don't bust you for being a "monopoly", Ron :D.
I should be down that way in, oh, 3 years or so.After what my accountant told me I owed today,I think they will love me.Come on down when you can.Watch them family hotdogs in R.I. Haven's Hotdogs :)

StormBird
03-20-2010, 21:30
Good to hear that you are open. We were planning to stay there on our way through on april 5th but heard that it had closed and changed our plans. But now that we know it back open, we'll be by for sure. :banana

Trillium
03-21-2010, 00:59
very good news to read. congrats Ron.

I am planning to be in that area approximately the 3rd week of April. Hope to stay there and see you then.

Jack - Straw
03-21-2010, 11:37
Congrats Ron! How long is the drive time between Hiawassee and your Budget Inn location in Franklin? Just curious..

Lone Wolf
03-21-2010, 11:52
Congrats Ron! How long is the drive time between Hiawassee and your Budget Inn location in Franklin? Just curious..

about 50 minutes

SawnieRobertson
03-21-2010, 14:44
The more I think about it.That is a good Idea for people in Hiawassee who will be my guest in Franklin too,for me to carry mail drops from Hia to Fra because I will be traveling back and forth each day.

That's a truly thoughtful and kind offer. Thanks, Ron.--Kinnickinic

Lion King
03-21-2010, 15:28
you should make some Haven Shirts with your campaign slogan for folks to wear.

Thatd be awesome.

Ron Haven
03-21-2010, 22:00
you should make some Haven Shirts with your campaign slogan for folks to wear.Thatd be awesome.That might get me a few votes :-?

about 50 minutesThat's about right.

very good news to read. congrats Ron.thanks

I am planning to be in that area approximately the 3rd week of April. Hope to stay there and see you then.Will be our pleasure

FYI - the Holiday Inn Express no longer has "Hiker Rates" - it's $79 for a room for two people.I have dropped the rates at the Hiawassee Inn.No one has gave me any crap in Hiawassee but I don't see it or Helen,Ga as a hiker friendly town.That is about to change.

Outstanding....Life on the AT just got better...have enjoyed your services in Franklin...just sorry I have already passed Hiawassee....looking forward to using your services again in a month or so as I work my way towards NOC....thanks....cheers.when you pass again you can stop by.

Congratulations Ron, my wife and I stayed at your place 4 years ago. You took us all over town while we did laundry and got grocerys. Treated us like one of your own. I'm sure you've done that for countless other hikers. Thanks Ron.Thanks Toenail,We try to treat hikers like family. ;)

Tagless
04-16-2010, 08:08
Last week I had the pleasure of staying at the Hiawassee Inn. Ron offered a very clean room, allowed me to do my laundry, and provided a shuttle back to the trail for a very reasonable rate. Ron himself checked me in and shared plans to make the facility even more hiker friendly next year (laundry room, computer access, and stocking basic hiker supplies).

I highly recommend the Hiawassee Inn to other hikers moving through the area!

cowpoke
04-16-2010, 11:14
On my slow trek north I have already passed Hiawassee...but have Franklin in my sights in a couple of weeks....already made reservations at Haven's Budget Inn and shuttle reservations with Mr. Havens....Deep Gap to NOC. Looking forward to my next adventure! cheers all..

Graywolf
04-16-2010, 12:26
Recieved an PM from Ron a few days ago..Looks like my plans for my section hike in August is working out..Cant wait to stay here..Looks great..

Graywolf

digger51
04-16-2010, 20:23
The shuttle to and from the Hiasassee Inn to both Unicoi and Dicks Creek Gaps is free. Can't be more reasonable than that.

Ron Haven
04-17-2010, 14:27
The shuttle to and from the Hiasassee Inn to both Unicoi and Dicks Creek Gaps is free. Can't be more reasonable than that.And Digger as I might ad,we try to help hikers save a few bucks in several ways.

Ron Haven
06-30-2010, 21:56
Friends who may be going by the Hiawassee Inn (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/external/hiawasseeinn/) in the future we now have wi-fi and I am taking the coin operated washers tomorrow for the new laundry room we added for hikers. By next hiker season for the north bounders I am planning on including a little outfitter at the motel also.

With our new low rates and free shuttles to and from Unicoi and Dicks Creek for our Hiawassee Inn guest. I want to assure a pleasant stop for our north bounders early into their hike.

Cool AT Breeze
07-01-2010, 00:00
It's all about the hikers Ronnie. You rock.

Lyle
07-01-2010, 09:55
Thanks Ron, you are one class act, and successful at it.

Continuing and expanding the good reputation of the Hiawassee, and of course your great establishments in Franklin. You are who I would try to model any trail services I would ever undertake after.

Best wishes from a former recipient of your, and the Hiawassee's hospitality. Hope to be again if the opportunity presents.

Jeff
07-01-2010, 10:34
When I grow up I want to be like Ron Haven !!!!!

rambunny
07-01-2010, 11:08
You are the bomb . com!

Luddite
07-01-2010, 11:33
Nice..

I'll be passin' thru March '11.

flemdawg1
07-01-2010, 12:01
Friends who may be going by the Hiawassee Inn (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/external/hiawasseeinn/) in the future we now have wi-fi and I am taking the coin operated washers tomorrow for the new laundry room we added for hikers. By next hiker season for the north bounders I am planning on including a little outfitter at the motel also.

With our new low rates and free shuttles to and from Unicoi and Dicks Creek for our Hiawassee Inn guest. I want to assure a pleasant stop for our north bounders early into their hike.

I'll be at the Hiawasse Inn in 3 weeks, how much are the laundry machines & soap?

Luddite
07-01-2010, 19:37
Wait...is Ron Haven the guy who lets you borrow a sweat suit while you do laundry?

Lyle
07-01-2010, 20:16
Wait...is Ron Haven the guy who lets you borrow a sweat suit while you do laundry?

That was the previous owners. Not sure if Ron will offer the same service. :D

Pedaling Fool
07-01-2010, 20:20
I thought everyone did laundry in their raingear.

10-K
07-01-2010, 20:34

There is/was a sign in the laundrymat in Hot Springs that basically said wearing a towel was not a substitute for wearing clothes while doing laundry. :)

Luddite
07-01-2010, 20:51

I usually only carry a rain jacket, but I'm gunna have any extra pair of shorts with me on my thru hike.

generoll
07-02-2010, 13:38
Ron, are you doing free shuttles year round now? I've had some hikers coming through that are using old guide books from the previous owners and were surprised when I charged them.

Ron Haven
07-03-2010, 16:19
Ron, are you doing free shuttles year round now? I've had some hikers coming through that are using old guide books from the previous owners and were surprised when I charged them.only in Mar and Apr

I'll be at the Hiawasse Inn in 3 weeks, how much are the laundry machines & soap?$1.50 per load wash and $1.50 to dry.Soap powder is free.

When I grow up I want to be like Ron Haven !!!!!You need to look at my photo.I am so ugly I could scare a hungry bulldog off the back of a meat truck.

Thanks Ron, you are one class act, and successful at it.

Continuing and expanding the good reputation of the Hiawassee, and of course your great establishments in Franklin. You are who I would try to model any trail services I would ever undertake after.

Best wishes from a former recipient of your, and the Hiawassee's hospitality. Hope to be again if the opportunity presents.Lyle, I remember one time 30 years ago I had $500 I had worked hard to get.They was this old man dying with cancer and told me about he didn't even have money for food or medicine so I gave him that money it took me 3 weeks to work out.On the way home I thought"My God,what am I going to do"?
Before dark I made $2,000 on a car I hadn't even thought about selling.
I grew up very poor and that is only one example of where giving and being free hearted pays back more and more.

It's all about the hikers Ronnie. You rock.Happy 4th my friend, just doing my part.

gunner76
07-05-2010, 19:18
I can see it now, Ron will have hotels all along the AT offering top notch servive to hikers.

Uncle Cranky
07-05-2010, 19:57
Good service always attract customers, success follows.

Keep up the good work & more power to you

Desert Reprobate
07-05-2010, 22:00

You can usually find a pair of long johns in the hiker box

ChinMusic
07-05-2010, 22:20
You need to look at my photo.I am so ugly I could scare a hungry bulldog off the back of a meat truck.

Love that southern humor.

Ron Haven
07-06-2010, 01:00
Love that southern humor.Chin Music I love the capitol of Illinois just like Abraham Lincoln. One day soon when I semi retire I would love to live in Springfield some.

Although I don't care much for what I have discovered in life about Abe I sure don't hold it against Springfield. It does me more good than a dose of croaton oil does a widow woman to go to Springfield.

TrailSquirrel
07-06-2010, 01:22
Chin Music I love the capitol of Illinois just like Abraham Lincoln. One day soon when I semi retire I would love to live in Springfield some.

Although I don't care much for what I have discovered in life about Abe I sure don't hold it against Springfield. It does me more good than a dose of croaton oil does a widow woman to go to Springfield.

What don't you like about Abe?

Jeff
07-06-2010, 06:11
You need to look at my photo.I am so ugly I could scare a hungry bulldog off the back of a meat truck.

Your wife thought you were pretty good looking.:D

Ron Haven
07-06-2010, 12:13
What don't you like about Abe?TrailSquirrel,with all due respect to you.Nothing.He had our country in an uproar and over 700,000 died because of him and taxes.

The slaves were free after Booth laid him in the shade.People today want others to think he was a hero.He was in my opinion a TRAITOR against his own people.I love America,north and south but he turned them against each other.Imagine a president doing that today.

I have love in my heart for all people and love to see peace and harmony.I think that was why God made his life a living hell.I have been to his home, tomb, birth place, library, law office,Vicksburg Battle Field, Gettysburg and his museum.I see nothing but pain and suffering during his time in office.My opinion

TrailSquirrel
07-06-2010, 20:06
.My opinion

That's what I asked for.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2010, 21:34
seems to me southerners were lazy. they needed to farm their own damn land

generoll
07-06-2010, 21:44
most of em did. like all wars. rich mans war, poor mans fight.

Ron Haven
07-13-2010, 22:45
Your wife thought you were pretty good looking.:Dit may have been,she felt sorry for meeeee.