PDA

View Full Version : Rain Pants Suggestions

J-Fro
03-05-2010, 01:03
Needing some new rain pants, will be used as 4 season rain pants, but mostly in spring/fall in southern Appalachians. I want something light weight that is compressible to pack for 3-5d hiking trips, but still durable. These will be used almost exclusively for backpacking. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with Eddie Bauer First Ascent Rainier Storm Shell Pants? Thanks.

The_Saint
03-05-2010, 01:08
I'd recommend none.

Mountain Wildman
03-05-2010, 01:42
Altrec has Mountain Hardwear Cohesion on sale for 80.89. 9 ounces rated 5 stars
http://www.altrecoutlet.com/pants/rain-pants/?gender=mens&facets=true

Space Wrangler
03-05-2010, 03:04
yeah i saw that deal too, i decided on the marmot precips over those though, read alot of great stuff about the precip line so i went with it. I think they might be on sale on there too. Im sure those MH pants are probably great too considering all i wear for shorts are MH and love em.

10-K
03-05-2010, 06:16
yeah i saw that deal too, i decided on the marmot precips over those though, read alot of great stuff about the precip line so i went with it. I think they might be on sale on there too. Im sure those MH pants are probably great too considering all i wear for shorts are MH and love em.

I got the full zip marmots and really like them.

Even if it's not raining and it's just cold and damp, those and a lightweight pair of long underwear are perfect.

Hoop
03-05-2010, 08:13
Antigravitygear has some excellent rainpaints w/ bottom side zip; like the brand sez, light. Rainjackets, too.

take-a-knee
03-05-2010, 08:22

I like my full zip precip pants but I don't plan to use them in warmer temps anymore (they do breathe pretty well) because I'm going to get a ULA rainskirt.

bigcranky
03-05-2010, 08:25
I got the Golite Reed pants several years ago. They are light and work well. Got the new model last year for the new ankle zips, BUT they also have elastic at the ankles, which funnels water into my shoes. My wife removed the elastic with a little sewing surgery.

Deadeye
03-05-2010, 09:14
I have the Golite Reed pants, too. Nice and light, they fold up real small and fit nicely in the bottom of my pack.

That's where they stay. I've never worn them, and I hike in the rain a lot, but I still carry them. Maybe someday I'll learn.

mweinstone
03-05-2010, 09:20
golite reed best. mine are almost 5 years old torn patched and still loved. moonbow aka big john makes anything you want. hes makeing me new ones based on the reed for 65 bucks. his are even lighter. all his stuff is the best. and hes one of us.he is the zelph of silnon.