PDA

View Full Version : Best Montbell down jacket for a thru hike?

Space Wrangler
03-05-2010, 03:15
Since montbell makes so many different versions of down jackets i figured i could find just the right one for a mid march start of a nobo thru hike. looking for one to wear at camp over long wool underwearand a microfleece windproof fleece. could throw my rain parka over it if i needed.
Any sugestions are much appreciated as always... Thanks yall.

Treefingers
03-05-2010, 03:27
i personally like the short sleeve version. if you get a full down jacket it may prove impractical if you may need to hike in it from time to time because it would just be way too warm. during my thru i used the flight vest from WM and it worked perfectly and i never wished for long sleeves. the montbell shortsleeve will def keep your arms warmer than a vest because is covers major blood veins that all travel through your shoulder

just my 2 cents

happy trails
treefingers

Egads
03-05-2010, 07:05
I like the UL inner down parka. Their UL wind jacket (at 3 oz) is a great addition to your pack too

bigcranky
03-05-2010, 08:28
For a March nobo start? Alpine Light Parka.

Tagless
03-05-2010, 08:52
Tag-along and I were very happy with our Montbell Thermawrap Jackets (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301401). We went synthetic, rather than down, to provide some insurance if our jackets got wet. This came in handy a couple of times.

Like Treefingers said, we didn't hike in this a lot due to heat generated. For camp, this was a perfect choice, however!

Any of the suggestions above should serve you well. Montbell makes great stuff.

Johnny Thunder
03-05-2010, 12:11
i hiked with a thermawrap jacket and now have an alpine light parka i've used for another 500 miles. go with the best down jacket you can afford and be careful with it. the thermawrap wasn't warm enough for me...maybe i washed it too many times by Maine. It just wore out.

The Will
03-05-2010, 12:36
I recently purchased the Montbell Exteme Light Down Jacket. At less than 6 oz it is insanely light and I thought it was significantly warmer than my Montbell Thermawrap. Treefingers makes a good point about a down jacket being less than practical to wear while hiking, that's something to consider, but you indicated in your post that you were specifically looking for something to wear during your down time in camp.

A great jacket.

burger
03-05-2010, 12:56
I have a Thermawrap Jacket that I like a lot. It's not super warm, but with a couple of layers on underneath, it'll keep you warm down into the 30s easily and probably below that.

I agree with the above comment on going with a synthetic jacket just in case things get wet. I hike with a down sleeping bag, and I think of my synthetic jacket as a bit of insurance in case everything in my pack gets wet (it happens, even to the best prepared).

STICK
03-23-2010, 21:12
I am going to get the EX Light, one day.....All you need and it's so light you wont even know you have it.....

Cool AT Breeze
03-24-2010, 10:33
I like the inner jacket.

skinny minnie
03-24-2010, 10:55
I like the thermawrap for the same reasons stated as other posters. It keeps me very warm when hiking - too warm. The only time I've ever worn it while hiking is in the Whites in cold weather. At night I do feel a bit chilled in it if temps are in the thirties, but if that's the case I'm hustling into my sleeping bag, anyway. Wearing a hat will boost the warmth, too.

Smokestacks
03-24-2010, 11:01
the exlight is the best piece of gear santa ever brought my wife and i. its perfect for hanging out in camp.we are carrying our all the way.

10-K
03-24-2010, 11:34
I like the thermawrap for the same reasons stated as other posters. It keeps me very warm when hiking - too warm. The only time I've ever worn it while hiking is in the Whites in cold weather. At night I do feel a bit chilled in it if temps are in the thirties, but if that's the case I'm hustling into my sleeping bag, anyway. Wearing a hat will boost the warmth, too.

I got a thermawrap too but was thinking about getting a extreme light to save the 5 oz's... That's $164 to save 5 ounces.

But I'll carry 1.2 lbs of maps. :)

skinny minnie
03-24-2010, 13:43
I got a thermawrap too but was thinking about getting a extreme light to save the 5 oz's... That's $164 to save 5 ounces.

But I'll carry 1.2 lbs of maps. :)

10-K: you and I have scarily similar weight justification issues! :eek: :)

I only let myself daydream about the extreme for a few seconds though - waaay too many $! I spend more time pretending I'm going to get down pants :D (not happening unless I win the lottery)

Mountain Wildman
03-24-2010, 15:02
I recently purchased the Montbell Exteme Light Down Jacket. At less than 6 oz it is insanely light and I thought it was significantly warmer than my Montbell Thermawrap. Treefingers makes a good point about a down jacket being less than practical to wear while hiking, that's something to consider, but you indicated in your post that you were specifically looking for something to wear during your down time in camp.

A great jacket.

My choice as well.

10-K
03-24-2010, 15:06
10-K: you and I have scarily similar weight justification issues! :eek: :)

I only let myself daydream about the extreme for a few seconds though - waaay too many $! I spend more time pretending I'm going to get down pants :D (not happening unless I win the lottery)

Don't forget your down booties. :)

butts0989
03-24-2010, 15:29
Personally i have the UL tec down jacket and it is warm as hell, i absolutely love it. I hiked from springer to nantahala this march in the snow and it was perfectly warm. Although i have been eyeing the thermawrap. You on the east coast so it will be wet. if you think you can keep your down dry then go with down. if not my first choice would be the thermawrap.

monkeedogee
11-16-2011, 06:13
The men like them should not exist in the world. Don’t put your clothes canada goose jackets (http://www.canadagoose4you.org/) into the bag that is compressed. Some people like sports very much moncler jacket (http://www.monclercoatsforcheap.com/), so there is abercrombie uk (http://www.abercrombieandfitchsale.org.uk/) a kind of down Jacket canada goose (http://www.canadagoose4you.org/) that can be divided into two.

JAK
11-16-2011, 06:52
The men like them should not exist in the world. Don’t put your clothes thrift store wool sweater into the bag that is compressed. Some people like sports very much thrift store wool sweater, so there is thrift store wool sweater a kind of down Jacket thrift store wool sweater with cheap light nylon shell that can be divided into two.

Del Q
11-16-2011, 20:50
I bought the synthetic jacket, not a lot heavier,

down and wet = heavy and worthless.

Met a SOBO thru hiker who had one and helped to keep him wamr when soaked, so I bought one. Good gear.

atmilkman
11-16-2011, 21:03

A great jacket.
Got this one too in size 2XL. Hot to hike in but great in camp. Packs down smaller than a softball.

Transient Being
12-29-2011, 23:54
Just recieved my UL down Montbell jacket, size Large. Weighs exactly 8 ounces. Me likey.

DaFireMedic
05-07-2012, 23:56
I just picked up a Montbell UL down jacket. Its 8.2 oz for the large, less than 1/2 the weight of the fleece jacket I was using. I was looking for the EX, but they didn't have any in stock and I got a killer deal on the UL jacket. The EX is roughly 2.5-3 oz lighter, but would have cost me nearly $90 more and is slightly less durable per Montbell.

I've never had a problem with down getting wet. I keep my down quilt and the jacket in a compactor bag inside my pack. Obviously, you don't want to submerge them, but good UL down products like the quilt and the Montbell jacket have a very tight weave and are DWR treated. They can take a surprising amount of exposure before water penetrates. But like I said, I take extra care not to get them wet, and I would do the same with synthetic as while they may maintain some warmth, they are still no fun at all when wet.

Miner
05-08-2012, 00:18
I hiked the PCT with an Montbell EX UL down jacket that weighed 6.5oz for size L (on my 1gram accurate scale). It was nice to have around camp and made for a nice pillow stuffed on top of my other clothing in a stuff sack. It was too hot to hike in for very long even when I was hiking during a snow storm in early Oct by the Canadian border.

I will be using it again for my upcoming AT thruhike.

Firefighter503
07-17-2012, 00:52
Montbell EX Light Down Jacket - one of my favorite pieces of gear. Light enough that I carry it year round.

BenLeaman
08-26-2012, 00:03
I used, and still use, the U.L. Down Jacket. I will take the "added weight" for hand warmer pockets any day.