PDA

View Full Version : Hiking without big toes nails.....

MedicineMan
03-05-2010, 06:39
at the end of PA half my big toe nails were black, after NJ and NY they'd turned all black...about 3 weeks ago off they both came. I've been doing little hikes between 3 and 7 miles and it doesn't seem to matter, but I've got Conn and Mass coming up in 7 weeks and I've never lost toe nails before now....anything to consider?

Bronk
03-05-2010, 08:36
I once put in a 30 mile day on a dayhike with new boots. When I got home and took the boots off, under each toenail was a blister about an inch around and a half an inch thick. Within a few days the toe nails fell off. It took about 6 months for them to grow back. Once the blisters healed I didn't have any problems with them and no pain. In fact, prior to this happening I had had problems with ingrown toenails for several years ever since breaking in my boots in the Army...apparently losing the nails and starting over cured the problem and I haven't had an ingrown toenail since.

Marta
03-05-2010, 08:41
You've already gotten some bigger boots, I hope?

modiyooch
03-05-2010, 08:42
I lose them ever year. Quit slamming your feet on the rocks. I notice when I start to get tired, I end up hitting a rock by not picking my feet up. It makes me mad. I don't even get a discount for my pedi. Fortunately, my nails will grow back by Spring.

mweinstone
03-05-2010, 09:44
let me be the first to say,ooooo gross! you dont just loose tonails. try keeping them in the same place so youll know where they are at all times.

mweinstone
03-05-2010, 09:49
remember pain is the bodys warning system and the brain is the bodys drunken master asleep at the consal while nail allarms sound. you dont just get black and blistered toes without first haveing that first hint of a hot spot or redness. any foot problems hiking need imediate addressing. they are the vehicals with witch to hike. no feet equals no hike. learn to make a big fuss over any foot discomfort. stop imediatly when the slightest hint of trouble exists. and when the big decision to zero must not be taken lightly due to foot issues, decide in favor of the feet. with no concideration to need of food or dry or town. stop and heal should be an ad campaign.or, heal in place.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 09:51
matty? have you had your cholesterol level and BP checked lately? get it done

rhjanes
03-05-2010, 10:48
matty? Have you had your cholesterol level and bp checked lately? Get it done:d lolololololllllll

Blissful
03-05-2010, 10:59
I've got both toenails gone too from my section hike in October. I'm not worried about that, I've got another leg issue I'm concerned about right now (possible TTS).

Ender
03-05-2010, 11:02
You've already gotten some bigger boots, I hope?

For sure the most important thing. Back when I worked in a camping/kayaking store, a boot rep told me that people are often fitted with the wrong size shoes, based on what they wear as casual footwear. Basically the long and the short of it is that most people buy athletic footwear that is a half to a full size too small. If you're active, your toes need the extra space, especially if you're going to be slamming your toes into rocks every third step.

sbhikes
03-05-2010, 11:07
I lost my toenails once. Had to descend a steep mountain. Everything seemed fine until the next morning. There were big painful blisters under my toenails. Ouch. I'd worn those shoes a million times before without getting blisters. Why now?

Eventually the nails fell off. Did that ever feel GREAT! I loved not having big toenails.

There's an ultra runner whose had his toenails surgically removed. I'd try better fitting footwear first.

sbhikes
03-05-2010, 11:11
For sure the most important thing. Back when I worked in a camping/kayaking store, a boot rep told me that people are often fitted with the wrong size shoes, based on what they wear as casual footwear. Basically the long and the short of it is that most people buy athletic footwear that is a half to a full size too small. If you're active, your toes need the extra space, especially if you're going to be slamming your toes into rocks every third step.

This is so true. Your toes need to be able to splay out in front of you, not be all crammed inside. Find shoes with a wide toebox but a tight enough mid-section so that you don't slide forward inside.

If you follow my advice, be prepared to throw out all your old shoes when you get home. Once your toes straighten out and separate, you won't be able to wear the full size too small shoes you once did.

See this web site for good info about foot damage from shoes and restoring natural foot function: http://nwfootankle.com/

Appalachian Tater
03-05-2010, 17:39
You probably injured your toenails because they were banging against your shoe.

Make sure your toes have enough room to wiggle, that you are wearing cushioning socks, and that your shoes fit properly and are tied in such a way that they don't slip and hit the nail even going downhill. Also trim your toenails short and straight across the toe so they don't jam in the toe of the shoe. It can be one severe trauma such as hitting a rock but it is more likely cumulative injury from many small incidents.

MedicineMan
03-05-2010, 22:27
No new boots, and the boots I'm wearing let me wiggle my toes, in fact in the toe area they feel airy/roomy. I'm just thinking this is something I can thank the rocks of PA for and that first half of NJ...the boots have never given me a blister either. Thanks for the replies, esp. matthewski :)

modiyooch
03-06-2010, 09:08
doesn't anyone else recall excruciating pain after stubbing their toes on the rocks? I never had the big toe blisters, just the blunders.

sbhikes
03-06-2010, 10:19
If you are stubbing your toes with your shoes on your shoes are probably too small.

I noticed that after a few months of wearing the same size that my toes were getting stubbed often. I had to get a different size. Actually, I moved up to a 4E. Once my shoes were wide enough, I didn't stub them anymore.

Jonnycat
03-06-2010, 11:18
One time I cut my toenails nice and short, and went on a trip of several days length.

The cut end of the toenails dug into the now-bare end of my toes, and within a dozen miles, I was a hurting pup.

I don't cut my toenails really short anymore as a result of that lesson. If your boots fit properly, having some toenails is no problem.

Phlashlite
03-06-2010, 11:23
I can't even remember how many times my husband and I lost our toe nails on our 2007 thru. It was actually a relief when they came off. I have noticed since the thru they tend to turn black and come off very easily even on only a two or three day hike. Yes, my boots fit fine! There is a gel like toe cap that probably would cure the problem but it is one more thing to carry.

carobe
03-06-2010, 18:06
Aside from boot size considerations, are they laced up properly so that they're holding your foot in place (more or less), giving it some restraint downhill?

Phlashlite
03-06-2010, 20:02
I found by buying a bigger size I got blisters on my heels, I have a very narrow foot. I think it is the fact that some toes are just longer than others.

Spokes
03-06-2010, 21:36
Toenails are overrated. Many ultra runners have them removed permanently (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/fashion/22FITNESS.html).

Wise Old Owl
03-06-2010, 21:51
Thanks Spokes -proved to be a good read.

sbhikes
03-06-2010, 22:03
Next time your toenails come off, save them and make one of these (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E1tEsdn7gHE/ReycOz8dMgI/AAAAAAAAAIM/vB6IW_5AZpw/s1600-h/toenail_necklace_labeled.jpg).

fredmugs
03-08-2010, 18:09
I'm pretty sure I have killed and pulled every toe nail and they have all grown back. I guess the fact that none of my nails are currently blacks means I need to get my @$$ out on the trail.

Nothing to worry about.

MedicineMan
03-08-2010, 18:15
He laughed and told me toe nails are not necessary and will grow back after i stop traumatizing them-I hope they never grow back!

scottdennis
03-09-2010, 10:04
Am I doing something wrong or something, because I've never had this sort of issue?

I've always heard that if you can't fix it with Duck Tape it can't be fixed.

Carbo
03-09-2010, 11:23
While doing a section from the DWG into PA, I kept stubbing my toes in new hiking boots that were too tight and got blood blisters under the toenails. I exchanged the boots at EMS for larger size. I exchanged the toenails too (they fell off), took almost a year to grow back.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-09-2010, 11:33
I always lose toenails -it is just the structure of my feet-nothing to do with the fit of the shoe in my case I have good size fat pads in my toes under the nails-no matter how I lace -the pads will move a little forward on downhills which puts pressure on the nailbed eventually they will seperate- never had a blister in all the years I have hiked just some lose toenails

fredmugs
03-09-2010, 11:36
Am I doing something wrong or something, because I've never had this sort of issue?

I've always heard that if you can't fix it with Duck Tape it can't be fixed.

Consider yourself lucky. Most of my toe issues involve slamming my foot directly into a rock. Most of those incidents were caused by either rocks hidden under leaves or generally not paying attention. Like most problems mine can be solved by taking my head out of my rear end.

scottdennis
03-09-2010, 13:42
LOL! Perhaps DUCT tape would work better. Unless you need to tape up a duck that is.

All I know is that you guys are making my toes hurt!

toenail
03-09-2010, 20:46
I AM NOT ALONE! I had an old pair of vasque hiking boots, everytime I went on an extended hike my big toenails would fall off. I replaced them with a pair of mid-cut vasque hiking shoes. They are extra wide and one full size larger than my regular shoes, they also have a heavy duty toe box so you don't stub your toes going downhill. no more toenail problems, but I kept my trail name........Toenail

modiyooch
03-09-2010, 22:48

. Maybe you are not walking long enough in a day. It happens to me when I'm tired and forget to pick my foot up high enough to clear a rock.

MedicineMan
03-09-2010, 23:01
I the Carobe has the answer for me 'Aside from boot size considerations, are they laced up properly so that they're holding your foot in place (more or less), giving it some restraint downhill'...plenty of room between toes and end of footbox, they just hit on the downs...and lashing tighter might prevent the slip down, i do wear them loosely as it is. I'm also wearing the super thick smartwool mountaineers...when it warms up i'll switch to a lighter hiking sock. I did a 1.5 mile up and 1.5 mile down today and I could feel the big toes on the down hitting the front of the boot...yet I can still wiggle my toes freely and the heel is locked. I'm thinking they'll just toughen up in time.

Darwin again
03-11-2010, 09:19
None of my toenails are black right now ... WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?
Time to get out and hike again.

But seriously, you don't need toenails to hike. Just like you don't drop dead if you don't shower for a week.

I keep 'em trimmed so that they don't poke back into my nailbeds and cause pain or catch on things.
They grow back. No problem.

GracefulRoll
10-28-2010, 10:40
I realize I'm a bit late on this thread, but I just want to say my experience is you must have properly fitted shoes to where your feet don't move inside them too much. You should have room to wiggle your toes, but not your heel.
I did a day hike and made that mistake. Just wore some sneakers. My, how they stretch!

Too big = Feet slide forward into the toe of your shoe. If you're a downhill, this may mean you slip and your foot goes into a rock. Ow.

Too small = Crowding. When you jam your nails constantly, it will create a bruise from pressure and trauma. The collected blood and fluid will cause the nail to work its way out of your toe. When you're hiking on that, the blood will have a hard time finding it's way against gravity, so it stays put or gets worse.

If you have no choice but to continue hiking for a while due to weather or other problems, do yourself a favor and side-step on the downhills to save your toes some stress.

Currently, my big toe on the right foot is one black/Dutchess Red (polish) hot mess. It'll be gone soon. :(

Foyt20
10-28-2010, 11:04
I lost both of my big toe nails this year. Started playing rugby, and when you have a 300 lb prop stepping on you with cleats on, somethings gonna give.

They used to be big and ugly after ingrown toenail treatment, but now they are little macaronis and dont hurt in any of my shoes.

I say se la vis.

fredmugs
10-28-2010, 14:55
I lose them ever year. Quit slamming your feet on the rocks. I notice when I start to get tired, I end up hitting a rock by not picking my feet up. It makes me mad. I don't even get a discount for my pedi. Fortunately, my nails will grow back by Spring.

I resemble that remark. Lost 3 toe nails section hiking in July but did not lose any in Oct which is maybe the first time in a couple of years I did not lose at least one.

No big deal. Just make sure that when you remove it that you do so completely and not run the risk of an ingrown toe nail. I've heard that ultra marathons actually have their toe nails permanently removed.

fredmugs
10-28-2010, 14:56
that last comment was pretty redundant. sorry.

cowpoke
10-28-2010, 17:39
Recently returned from walking the Burningtown Gap up to Fontana Dam section. Big toe on my left foot started turning black and coming off a couple days after I got home....right big toe was fine. Started thinking why and only thing I can come up with is that my right knee was bothering me so I led with my left foot during the climb down into NOC and Fontana. I guess I was jamming my foot into my boot pretty good.....sound logical? cheers.

yari
10-28-2010, 19:02
Next time your toenails come off, save them and make one of these (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E1tEsdn7gHE/ReycOz8dMgI/AAAAAAAAAIM/vB6IW_5AZpw/s1600-h/toenail_necklace_labeled.jpg).

LMAO

Ok, now that is just disgusting. Funny, but disgusting.

Sierra Echo
10-28-2010, 19:06

Mark Williams toenail is nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I lost my big toenail on my right piggy. No problems. It looks rather odd, but then so do i!

vamelungeon
10-28-2010, 19:20
I've gotten the black toenails thing from long descents. It was actually painless. I didn't get blisters either.

Sierra Echo
10-28-2010, 19:21
I've gotten the black toenails thing from long descents. It was actually painless. I didn't get blisters either.

my toenail never actually turned black. it was a dead whiteish/gray color. There was however bruising along the cuticle.

jonesat11
10-28-2010, 21:17
For years I've had a nagging big toe problem most likely due to a smaller boot size. I've had them surgically removed and thankful for that. The rocks in PA made me scream in pain. Taking a break and removing the boots or soaking them in a stream helps keep the swelling down.
I personally like Merrell boots the best. They are good right out of the box and I find they are good for about 1,000 miles or less. With new inserts and good socks help make a hike more enjoyable too. hikerbob Florida Trail Ocala

Chaco Taco
11-01-2010, 07:39
I always here about this problem with people wearing Vasque boots or Asolo boots. Do yourself a favor and get some mid sized trail runners like Keens or Merrels. Shouldnt ever have any toe nail issues.

drastic_quench
11-01-2010, 08:00
Because of ingrown toenail problems, I've had both big toenails removed multiple times - starting when I was twelve. I have never had the nail chemically removed however. I wanted to, but the doctor kept talking me out of it. He said there's a chance that he couldn't get every last bit of nail bed, and a splinter-like toenail could result.

I'm kind of into surgeries and medicine, so even when I was twelve I asked to watch the procedure. They just used local anesthesia, so I could sit up and watch the entire procedure. Still hurt though. Last chance for the squeamish to stop reading. The method is that a pair of scissors, like fingernail scissors, are inserted underneath the toenail point first and closed. The scissors are then opened up and pushed deeper repeatedly. This separates the underside of the nail from the skin. Eventually when they've worked that down to the base of the nail, pliers are used and the toenail is pulled like a tooth. It does bleed quite a lot, but when the toe is under all that pressure from being infected it feels great.

The very next day after my first toenail removal I ran three sprint races at a middle school track meet. My doctor was fine with it, but cautioned me about potential discomfort. Yards into the first race, I could feel the toe starting to bleed. It didn't hurt, but I wore white Nike spikes (track shoes). By the end of the hundred meters, the end of my shoe was soaked through red. I scored some major coolness points shrugging off a wound that other were certain would be the death of me.