PDA

View Full Version : US 19E To US Highway 321

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 11:19
Hey guys. I'm a newbie and I have browsed the forum for the past day or so and I believe this is the best place for this thread.

To begin with, I am a beginner hiker. I have hiked a portion of the trail before in the Summer of 2007 from, I believe somewhere near Hampton, TN (maybe off Dennis Cove Rd), to the Laurel Falls waterfall. I had an amazing time.

Anyways, a couple of friends and I are planning to hike from US 19E to US Highway 321. I can only find information on Dennis Cove to US Highway 321, but everything between US 19E to Dennis Cove is a mystery to me and I cannot figure out how many miles that part of the trail is, any shelters, or fresh water supplies.

I guess I would start out with asking if anyone has any information on this section of the trail, and where a good place to park around 19E is. I have read about some vandalism in the area and I have also read about asking local businesses or residences if I could park my car there to be safe.

As far as the trail goes, is it easy to get lost on it? I remember my previous hike from Hampton, TN to Laurel Falls, there were trails that were connected to the main one I was on. I don't want to take a wrong turn and end up somewhere I don't want to be. I guess I need to do some reading on trail markers.

Any and all information anyone can provide on my trail pick would be greatly appreciated. US 19E to Highway 321.

My plan is to hike from 19E to 321 and then turn around and head back. By looking at the maps it looks like it may take about 3-4 days, but I am unsure because I do not know the mileage of the unknown part of the trail.

Again, I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

Happy hiking!

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 11:24
And for additional information, this is the section I plan to hike:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8004/at1h.jpg

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2010, 11:24
Eric have you already hiked the section south of 19E, like carvers gap to 19E
im just asking, becaue the section i mentioned, is a great section, one of the best !

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 11:26
My original plans were to hike from Carvers Gap to US Highway 321 but I don't want to overwhelm myself since I am just getting started. But I have read GREAT things about that section. Everyone says it is beautiful.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 11:26
19E to 321 is 33.2 miles. there are 3 shelters and plenty of water in that section. you can park at Mountain Harbor B&B on 19E .3 from the trail. $2 per day

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 11:27
19E to 321 is 33.2 miles. there are 3 shelters and plenty of water in that section. you can park at Mountain Harbor B&B on 19E .3 from the trail. $2 per day

Do you have a link to a map or information that specifies the mileage from 19E to 321?

And I appreciate the tip on parking. That was my #1 concern.

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2010, 11:35
Do you have a link to a map or information that specifies the mileage from 19E to 321?

And I appreciate the tip on parking. That was my #1 concern.
Great advice from wolf,parking on 19E used to be,maybe still one of the worst places to park!on the entire trail. last fall i'm standing at the trailhead ME.RTE 15(south end of the 100 mile wilderness) about 12 cars/trucks in the parking lot,all but 1 had maine license plates, 1 had connecticut plates. guess which one and the only one to have all the windows smashed out! :-?

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 11:40
Haha wow. Yeah, I'm definitely going to use Lone Wolf's advice.

Another question I had is carrying enough food for the trip. How much should I take? I don't want to run out halfway through the hike.

And with the hike being a round trip of 66.4 miles, how long do you estimate it would take to hike it? My guess was 3-4 days, but now I'm thinking it will actually be more around 5-7 days. I definitely want to stop and enjoy nature.

CrumbSnatcher
03-05-2010, 11:50
19E was a place to be concerned about, when i read about the trail before i ever hiked it. twice while hiking just taking a break at the trail head, pickups rolled by and for no reason flipped me off! it was amusing, i invited them to come back and visit.:)

Cookerhiker
03-05-2010, 11:59
Wolf's advice is right on.

When are you planning your hike? Spring i.e. early May would be ideal for good temps and Spring wildflowers.

I have great memories of this stretch and the Mountain Harbor B&B which had just opened when I hiked in '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=97366). Hiking north from 19E, the trail was fairly easy until the last mile before Moreland Shelter with many short but steep up-and-down knobs.

Edit: I just saw your response on the other thread.

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 12:14
Oh..One important question I forgot to ask was where do I enter the trail on 19E. If I am looking at maps right, it is east of the intersection of 19E and Bear Branch Road.

Cookerhiker
03-05-2010, 12:35
It's just up the road from Mountain Harbor - walk on the shoulder up to the gap. The trail is easily visible.

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 12:43
What about drinking untreated water? I want to avoid getting diarrhea at all costs, but if there is only a slight risk of ingesting bacteria/etc, I will pass on purification.

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 12:46
It's just up the road from Mountain Harbor - walk on the shoulder up to the gap. The trail is easily visible.
It's right where an ignorant local there dumps all his trash. Hate to say it but your first couple hundred feet will be like walking through a landfill. After that, beautiful.

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 13:24
This trail will lead me to Laurel Falls too, correct?

Cookerhiker
03-05-2010, 15:43
Yes, after first crossing Dennis Cove Rd. The trail from Dennis Cove is flat (really!) and easy until the descent to the falls.

What do you have in the way of maps and/or guides? I think it would behove you to acquire the Companion or one of the similar guides (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805469/k.FFE6/Guidebooks_and_Maps.htm). They have detailed mileage summaries and will answer many of your questions.

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 16:04
I currently do not own a single map of the trails and do not have the money to buy one. If I could find a free one, I would be set, but I was planning on just following the trail blazes.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 16:06
I currently do not own a single map of the trails and do not have the money to buy one. If I could find a free one, I would be set, but I was planning on just following the trail blazes.

PM me your address. i'll send you one

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 16:20
I found this and it is very helpful: http://www.aldha.org/companyn/tn-va10.pdf

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 16:25
PM me your address. i'll send you one

along with the pages from the Data book and Companion

Lone Wolf
03-05-2010, 16:26
got your PM. headin' to the PO now

EricS96521
03-05-2010, 16:26
Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate it.

Highstepper
03-05-2010, 21:07
Here is a great trip report by Kerosene that covers this section.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43311&highlight=campsite+iron

bus
03-05-2010, 21:30
Eric
I have another guide book (non-ATC published) that I could copy certain pages from (for educational and evaluational purposes only of course ;) ) of that section.

As it gets closer lets stay in touch in case we do those sections at the same time

sarge95
03-05-2010, 22:08
A large percentage of this section has been relocated in recent years and is much easier than before. Near Moreland Gap Shelter all of the steep parts have been removed with switchbacks. We have tried to make all the trail less than 10 percent grade. All steep grades havent been removed yet but it is much better. I have not received any reports of trash being thrown on the trail at Bear Branch since last year.

EricS96521
03-06-2010, 00:26
Eric
I have another guide book (non-ATC published) that I could copy certain pages from (for educational and evaluational purposes only of course ;) ) of that section.

As it gets closer lets stay in touch in case we do those sections at the same time

I would appreciate that information too..lol

I plan on tackling the trail sometime after my 21st birthday, so that will be sometime after May 5th. My younger brother is wanting to come along also, so I may wait until he gets out of school for the summer, which will be around May 20th or so.

A large percentage of this section has been relocated in recent years and is much easier than before. Near Moreland Gap Shelter all of the steep parts have been removed with switchbacks. We have tried to make all the trail less than 10 percent grade. All steep grades havent been removed yet but it is much better. I have not received any reports of trash being thrown on the trail at Bear Branch since last year.

Thanks for the info. I enjoy the steep grades. Gives you something to work for ;)