PDA

View Full Version : Special considerations this year for dogs

drifters quest
03-05-2010, 13:54
So, the conditions on the trail are a little less than ideal this year.. the snow doesn't seem to stop, is adding up, and where it has melted has turned into ice.
My dog and I start the trail on March 11th and I admit I have a few concerns. First of, she has gone winter backpacking with me and has backpacked in as much as 2 feet of snow with me with a pack on. She had no issues with this and seemed to enjoy the snow. She seems to handle ice pretty good as well- a lot better than I do!
My concern though is that there are people snow-shoeing the Smokeys! She won't be in the Smokeys with me but what happens if we reach snow that deep? Do we just have to wait for it to melt down a bit? Will it be packed enough by the time we go through? Do you think most of it will even be there by the time we go through? She is VERY fit but I am afraid hiking in snow deeper than her will make her very tired after a few days of it.
Another concern is ice. She seem to handle it well, but we've never been on anything with constant ice or climbed down anything real icy. I'll have a traction device on my feet do most dogs have a lot of trouble with this?
I'm hoping she won't have problems with snowballs in her feet as well.. we usually don't come across this unless the temps are very cold and I have put vaseline on her feet before to help this. I hope this isn't something we have to deal with as well, but will prepare myself.

So basically i'm asking how i can best prepare my dog for these types of conditions as my hike is rapidly approaching.

Rockhound
03-05-2010, 14:42
Trail will be packed down unless you are first to break it following a storm. You dog will have an easier go of it than you. You sound like a good owner. Just take care of her feet each night.

Chomp09
03-06-2010, 09:05
I mean no offense by this, but if you are truly questioning all of these issues, perhaps it is best to leave your pup at home?

drifters quest
03-06-2010, 13:27
No offense taken, I had a feeling I would get at least one comment along those lines. If it comes down to it I can take her home or wait it out. I'm not questioning her ability of hiking the trail, but what I really wanted to know was how I could best prepare her if we come across these situations.
Thanks

superman
03-06-2010, 13:34
This should comfort you. I'll be starting March 31. I have been assured by god that the hiking conditions and weather will be good to go at that time. The good news is that the drought seems to be over. :)

climber2377
03-06-2010, 15:59
i m hitting the trail on the 15th myself, i m sure that most animals have what it takes to handle the environments of this world. my dog used to love the snow more than me and it was difficult to get her back inside. take care of her feet and yours and i dont forsee any troubles. if the going has to be slow and steady... the tortoise wins the race, remember?

drifters quest
03-06-2010, 19:20
Thanks guys, they certainly do seem to enjoy the snow. on our last trip we had up to a couple feet and we were almost down the mountain and back to the pickup when i realized my tent fell off my pack :eek: By this time it was starting to snow really hard and we were kind of worried and frustrated to have to go back and look for it, but I had to go back for my tent so we headed back up. I was concerned with the weather- especially since we were once again gaining elevation where the weather was worse, but it made me feel soo much better watching my dog run and romp in the snow :) she definitely wasn't worried and was having a blast :)

Yeah... no worries finding water along the trail at least:D Hopefully there won't be TOO much water.

traildust
03-07-2010, 17:52
So, the conditions on the trail are a little less than ideal this year.. the snow doesn't seem to stop, is adding up, and where it has melted has turned into ice.
My dog and I start the trail on March 11th and I admit I have a few concerns. First of, she has gone winter backpacking with me and has backpacked in as much as 2 feet of snow with me with a pack on. She had no issues with this and seemed to enjoy the snow. She seems to handle ice pretty good as well- a lot better than I do!
My concern though is that there are people snow-shoeing the Smokeys! She won't be in the Smokeys with me but what happens if we reach snow that deep? Do we just have to wait for it to melt down a bit? Will it be packed enough by the time we go through? Do you think most of it will even be there by the time we go through? She is VERY fit but I am afraid hiking in snow deeper than her will make her very tired after a few days of it.
Another concern is ice. She seem to handle it well, but we've never been on anything with constant ice or climbed down anything real icy. I'll have a traction device on my feet do most dogs have a lot of trouble with this?
I'm hoping she won't have problems with snowballs in her feet as well.. we usually don't come across this unless the temps are very cold and I have put vaseline on her feet before to help this. I hope this isn't something we have to deal with as well, but will prepare myself.

So basically i'm asking how i can best prepare my dog for these types of conditions as my hike is rapidly approaching.

Get the dog some booties with liners or wait til the weather improves.

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 08:27
Thanks guys, they certainly do seem to enjoy the snow. on our last trip we had up to a couple feet and we were almost down the mountain and back to the pickup when i realized my tent fell off my pack :eek: By this time it was starting to snow really hard and we were kind of worried and frustrated to have to go back and look for it, but I had to go back for my tent so we headed back up. I was concerned with the weather- especially since we were once again gaining elevation where the weather was worse, but it made me feel soo much better watching my dog run and romp in the snow :) she definitely wasn't worried and was having a blast :)

Yeah... no worries finding water along the trail at least:D Hopefully there won't be TOO much water.

You have a beautiful dog!!!