PDA

View Full Version : food!

Sequoia
03-05-2010, 23:55
What does an average hiker consume in a day or week?

I was thinking of buying in bulk on Amazon things like trail mix, mac and cheese and clif bars and sending that to myself along the way.

How much/what kind of food do you actually need?

mweinstone
03-06-2010, 10:49
its like you just walked into nasa and asked if anyone ever concidered manned spaceflight. the food sections of this website containe information from the 12 known galaxsys. look around.

short answer: we eat all.

DapperD
03-06-2010, 10:57
What does an average hiker consume in a day or week?

I was thinking of buying in bulk on Amazon things like trail mix, mac and cheese and clif bars and sending that to myself along the way.

How much/what kind of food do you actually need?In my opinion, if you are planning on doing a thru-hike, from what I have learned, it may be better to limit the amount of food/goods, etc...that you send to yourself by way of maildrops. A lot of thru-hikers appear to concur that it is better to simply purchase your necessities enroute in order to avoid binding oneself to the post-offices hours of business,etc...Also tastes for foods may rapidly change on trail as your thru-hike progresses, and what you plan to send to yourself may or may not be what your body currently will be craving/needing at that time of your journey. I think the best thing to do is to make up a few maildrops for possibly areas on the trail where resupply may be limited, and send yourself some desirable foods/goods to those locations. Also with the price to send maildrops nowadays, any savings you gain by buying in bulk will most likely be marginal due to the high cost of shipping that will apply. And also remember there will always be the chance, unfortunately, that you will end your hike prematurely.

sidebackside
03-06-2010, 11:14
In my opinion, if you are planning on doing a thru-hike, from what I have learned, it may be better to limit the amount of food/goods, etc...that you send to yourself by way of maildrops. A lot of thru-hikers appear to concur that it is better to simply purchase your necessities enroute in order to avoid binding oneself to the post-offices hours of business,etc...Also tastes for foods may rapidly change on trail as your thru-hike progresses, and what you plan to send to yourself may or may not be what your body currently will be craving/needing at that time of your journey. I think the best thing to do is to make up a few maildrops for possibly areas on the trail where resupply may be limited, and send yourself some desirable foods/goods to those locations. Also with the price to send maildrops nowadays, any savings you gain by buying in bulk will most likely be marginal due to the high cost of shipping that will apply. And also remember there will always be the chance, unfortunately, that you will end your hike prematurely.

Well said.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Tinker
03-06-2010, 11:15
Sequoia,
Please excuse Matty. He's not well................:D.

sbhikes
03-06-2010, 11:16
Dapper gives good advice. Maybe send a mail drop to your first location just so you can see that it really works. After that, you can send food ahead from the trail to locations that lack grocery stores. There is no need to do it from home.

DapperD
03-06-2010, 11:39
I think some of the locations where maildrops may/could be favorable are: Fontana Dam(have 6-7 days of food for the GSMNP), Harper's Ferry, Port Clinton, Delaware Water Gap,Bear Mountain, and Glencliff.

Blissful
03-06-2010, 19:48
This has been said a lot, but you don't have to limit maildrops to POS. Many hostels and motels and outfitters take them too.

I plan to do a combination for my SOBO - drop mainly dinners, a few breakfasts and snacks I can't get elsewhere (and I want to have a variety of so I am not limited to Knorrs and potato mixes) and buy fresh for lunch. Unless it is a big store on the trail