PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a Pack

Marketman
11-03-2002, 08:05
What's the deal on flying with a pack? How do the baggage guys treat an external? Do you ship it with fragil stickers all over it. What about fuel? I hear they won't even let you take empty tanks. Any other travel tips?

ez-does-it
11-03-2002, 11:08
Marketman:
I have heard of many stories about the air lines. I would suggest that you call your carrier and ask about your pack and it's contents as to what you can and can not bring along with you.Also check with some of the shuttle services if you will be using one as to wheater they will hold a package for you then you could ship your gear that is not allowed on the plane.Where are you comong from? It just might be easyer to use the train (Amtrak).Well good luck :p :p One more thing if you plane on staying at the Amicalola Lodge I belive they will hold a package sent to them marked HOLD FOR A.T. THRU-HIKER.

Moose2001
11-03-2002, 11:30
EZ is right when he says check with the specific airline you're flying with. A safe bet is ship your stove and fuel bottle to GA. Some airlines won't take either even if they are brand new and never been used. Others will take them if they are purged. Don't try to hide it in your pack. If they find it, it can be taken from you and not returned.

This is one reason I took the train and will again in 2003. Stops right in Gainesville and you can easily catch a ride or meet your shuttler right there.

SGT Rock
11-03-2002, 11:59
Here are my tips:

1. Get a big, cheap duffle bag. GI canvas or nylon is best, you can fit most empty frame pack inside then get your other gear around it. Once on the ground you can mail it home, give it away, or throw it away. You sould be able to get one for about $5 at a surplus store.

2. Make an alcohol stove and pick up your fuel en-route from the airport to the trail. You can ship all the homemade alcohol stoves you want without problems. Alcohol fuel must be shipped by ground transportation with the correct Hazmat stickers and packaging - not really worth the hassle. If you are doing a NOBO thru-hike and end up not liking the stove, buy a new gas stove at Neels Gap :D, but my guess is you will stick with alcohol.

The Weasel
11-03-2002, 12:06
Alternative, and cheaper, to the duffel bag:

Get a couple of "document boxes" (they are about 18"x12"x20") from a local office supply, pack your gear into them (including your pack), and check those with the airlines when you depart. Tape the boxes securely, and they will come through fine. That's what I always do.

NOTE: You will probably NOT be allowed to carry the fuel bottle for your stove, and even if you try, you're risking a serious explosion on the plane YOU are on (yeah, I know the odds are small, and yeah, I know you promise that you'll have it totally clean, but let me know which plan you're on so I can catch the next one), and even if it is new, the airlines can't know that, so DON'T. If it's found, you risk being de-boarded, your ticket revoked, and turned over to security (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know YOU got through a lot of times with no problems, but that just means that bad Karma is coming for someone else, so DON'T). Alternative: Check with the post office to see if they will accept your bottle (clean/aired out) and mail it to yourself in c/o General Delivery, Atlanta Airport Post Office or to Gainesville GA Post Office.

The Weasel

tioneon
11-03-2002, 13:29
I am big on boxes for an external frame pack. Just keep in mind that some airlines (AA for example)can charge $80 for each box whose L X W X D is greater than 62".

I think they might start charging you extra for ordering your still complenentary coffee with cream and sugar. ;-)

There have been plenty of reports that used, but empty, fuel bottles are prohibitted. I think some screeners might also have trouble with a burner that has been used. Don't know. With some airports/airlines they X-Ray domestic baggage immediately adjacent to check-in, so you would be able to address any gray areas on the spot. Most do thier security check well after you have checked your bags, however. In that scenario, it could be a real hassel if they pulled your luggage even if it turned out 100% legal. I like Sgt. Rock's approach, but would also consider buying a virgin Trangia stove for every flight. The burners are sold for $12.00 and have the advantage of a screw on cap.

Michael
11-04-2002, 02:29
Why not just ship the whole thing U.S.P.S. Around fifteen bucks for 40 lbs. last year.

The Weasel
11-04-2002, 17:31
My beloved Jansport external frame pack (used for my first 400 miles) is NOT something I would put into a box and trust to the tender hands of airport baggage handlers.

However, I did carry it on (pre 9/11 days but I think it is OK) and it fit in the overhead.

By the way...I always repeat ALWAYS carry my trekking poles as "carryon" luggage. Transportation Security Agency rules say that x-c poles are NOT allowed to be carried on, but "walking poles" ARE allowed. If you do this and face a problem, ask for the supervisor. It would be smart, however, to have the rubber tips on them so they appear less threatening. The distinction is because most x-c poles are very pointed on the tip, like spears.

The Weasel

Jumpstart
11-05-2002, 08:40
We cinched our packs down as tight as they would go, telescoped all our poles and put them inside the pack, and sent our FULL fuel bottle and stove via UPS to the guys who would be providing our shuttle. Had no problmes with anything, except that Fedex said they couldn't ship the fuel, so we went to Mailbox USA and the guys asked us what was in it, we said "denatured alcohol stove fuel" and he said "I'll just ship it ground via UPS". No problems.

Jumpstart
11-05-2002, 08:42
Oh yeah, one other thing. You might raise red flags at the ticket counter (seeing as you have a one-way ticket to GA, most likely purchased far in advance, with minimal baggage), so get to the airport a little early and don't be surprised if you receive a littel security hassling. We flew out of Logan Airport (Boston) only 6 months after 9/11 and got the third degree from the ticket counter guy.

illininagel
01-01-2003, 18:57
Originally posted by The Weasel
My beloved Jansport external frame pack (used for my first 400 miles) is NOT something I would put into a box and trust to the tender hands of airport baggage handlers.

However, I did carry it on (pre 9/11 days but I think it is OK) and it fit in the overhead.

By the way...I always repeat ALWAYS carry my trekking poles as "carryon" luggage. Transportation Security Agency rules say that x-c poles are NOT allowed to be carried on, but "walking poles" ARE allowed. If you do this and face a problem, ask for the supervisor. It would be smart, however, to have the rubber tips on them so they appear less threatening. The distinction is because most x-c poles are very pointed on the tip, like spears.

The Weasel

Up to this point, I only go backpacking a week or two each year. For the past 15 years, I've used a Jansport external frame pack. Do you think going with this is a good choice for a thru hike?

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2003, 19:07
I did 4 thru-hikes with a Jansport D-2 framepack. Remember a thru-hike is nothing more than a bunch of 2-6 day section hikes. Don't let the know-it-all gear heads steer you towards an internal.

Blue Jay
01-01-2003, 19:34
I agree with Lone Wolf 100% (good thing he dosn't scare easily). You see far more external frame packs on the backs of thruhikers than any other type of hiker. If you're going to carry something for months, comfort is more important than a little bit of extra weight. Hell, after a few weeks you won't even feel it. Rarely to you see external framer slack pack, because we don't need to. They just feel good on your back.

Peaks
01-02-2003, 09:15
Originally posted by Blue Jay
I agree with Lone Wolf 100% (good thing he dosn't scare easily). You see far more external frame packs on the backs of thruhikers than any other type of hiker. If you're going to carry something for months, comfort is more important than a little bit of extra weight. Hell, after a few weeks you won't even feel it. Rarely to you see external framer slack pack, because we don't need to. They just feel good on your back.

What do you base your statement on? According to Roland Mueser's survey, as published in "Long Distance Hiking," the split was 42% internal, and 58% external. But that was in 1989. My observation is that in 2001 & 2002, externals are definately a minority, and a fairly small one at that, perhaps 10% or less.

Blue Jay
01-02-2003, 12:27
Sorry, I wasn't clear again. I didn't mean externals are in the majority among Thrus. Just that you see more of them proportionaly on Thrus. As for the percentage, I could only guess, maybe a third. Away from the AT you hardly see them at all. Yuppies, volcano hikes, peal baggers would never be seen with an external. It would be like wearing a shirt without a brand name on it.

Marketman
01-03-2003, 11:18
I've got the story on "Flying with an External Pack." I flew from Saint John, NB which is in eastern Canada into D.C. Talk about security! In Montreal at customs they took me into a search room and dumped my whole pack out on this stainless steel table....They didn't mind my bag of white powder (Instant milk), they didn't mind the empty fuel bottle, or any of my other packing goodies...They did X-ray
my tent and bag but otherwise they were very good about everything...Air Canada put my pack into a large plastic bag then did a world class tape job on it....Tight, tight, tight so nothing was loose...It arrived at 9pm in DC in perfect shape...Since we were busing it to Rock Fish that night we needed fuel...I contacted the folks at Hudson Outfitters at Pentagon City and they stayed open until 10 waiting for us....There were 4 or 5 employees waiting for our arrival....We chatted for 1/2 hour then filled our fuel tanks at No Charge....Great folks....Please do visit them....
Only one problem....Lost an expander for one of my hiking poles on the bus....(the thing that makes your pole tighten up) Anyway, Chuck the owner of Rock Fish Outfitters just happened to have a spare and gave it to me No Charge...Go see Chuck as Well...Flying with a Pack is easy and safe....Just don't take any fuel.....