PDA

View Full Version : when not hiking

CrumbSnatcher
03-06-2010, 13:05
just wondering if anyone wants to share about other sports/activites you might participate in when not hiking. i haven't been this excited about playing softball for a few years, turned 43 yesterday and still able to knock them out of the park:cool::D i will always love LDH, but its a sweet feeling when you hit that ball just right! played for 20 years and traveled all over the country playing. played semi pro baseball for a couple years. ida(ole' lady) bought me a membership in the GPAA gold prospectors association of america(b-day present). new hobby(gold)im hooked!:eek: my karate and guitar playing are lacking and i have a 68 camaro that i tinker on. my biggest pride and joy is 2 1/2 years old and she keeps me smiling!:)

ChinMusic
03-06-2010, 13:23
Sports photography at the high school/college level. Was heavily involved with baseball over the past 20 year, coaching. I've passed the clicker to the younger guys but still hang around the game. I'm hoping my son stays involved with baseball once his college years are over. His college eligibility is over and is now working on getting Dr in front of his name.

I volunteer considerable time to Habitat for Humanity builds.

Would love to try my hand at Curling should a local rink offer it.

thelowend
03-06-2010, 13:26
I like to play and listen to music. I love playing pretty much any instrument and most of my friends do the same so we love jammin. In fact I am about to go play some right now =>

Lion King
03-06-2010, 13:37
Screenplay writer--feature and short films/ guitar playing song writer/commercial/Tv/Film production work/ some acting/ annoying 'normal' people.

modiyooch
03-06-2010, 14:15
runner....

PUNKINPUSS11
03-06-2010, 14:35
i surf alot......on WHITBLAZE that is....haha

Cookerhiker
03-06-2010, 14:47
I like to cycle and have done a few overnight trips in the last 2 years including the entirety of the C&O Canal last year. Hoping to do more. On tap for this year is the annual NYC 5 borough (http://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/fbbt/index.html) bike ride. I did it in '03 2 days after I retired and had a blast.

Also like listening to music, day hiking, and non-hiking trips to cities and historical/cultural sites. Just returned last week from 12 days in the Caribbean - Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

Re your reference to baseball, my biggest thrill was in Summer of '03 visiting the Field of Dreams in Iowa. There were some folks playing around on the diamond so I joined them. I hit the balls OK but the highlight was out in center field when I caught a deep fly ball. As a 55 year-old retiree, it felt great! Of course I could hardly throw it back into the infield.:o

Feral Bill
03-06-2010, 22:25
Cycling, sailing, xc skiing

Mostly lying around, though.

fiddlehead
03-06-2010, 22:57
Besides hiking, (my favorite)
Whitewater kayaking,
running,
rock climbing,
video shooting and editing,
guitar,
bass guitar,
keyboards,
woodworking (some carpentry)
dabbling in writing my blog and photography (certainly no expert in these two)

and of course, my business: selling long underwear and warmstuff.

Ox97GaMe
03-06-2010, 23:09
I have an antique vehicle (1926) that I cruise around the area with during the summer. I also am into college football for the fall.

Jonnycat
03-06-2010, 23:40
I swim, and ride my bicycle.

And I still play video games.

Now that I think about it, I'm doing the same stuff I was doing when I was a kid. Yay!

Mags
03-07-2010, 00:11
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs274.ash1/20150_282089488469_536453469_3291799_2027723_n.jpg

Backcountry (Nordic and Tele) Skiing. Lots of it. I love it as much as hiking.

I went to the climbing gym for the first time last week. Did a 5.9. Pretty stoked. Plan on doing some more climbing (outside!) in the months ahead.

Avid amateur photog from the above experiences.

Workout M-F ~1hr (light weights, cardio, core). Enough where I am drenched in sweat anyway. :)

Try to do the equivalent of 1 - 2 wks of (40-80 hrs,work week equivalent) of volunteer work a year.

When not doing physical activity, I cook (do almost all the cooking for my girlfriend and myself. Pretty darn good at it if I do say so) and read a lot.

prain4u
03-07-2010, 00:33
I trace family trees (genealogy)--been doing that since age 9 (and I am now age 48).

When I get the chance, I refinish wood furniture (started doing that around age 14).

I am a politics junkie. (I was previously elected 3 times as mayor of our Village and I am currently taking a break from local politics). I watch a lot of political stuff on TV and read a lot of political stuff online and in newspapers.

fiddlehead
03-07-2010, 03:14
Damn, i have so many hobbies I can't remember them all.
In addition to the ones i listed in post #9, I also:
Play tennis, golf (took it back up last year after 30 years of not playing), frisbee, swimming.
I tried to take up surfing a few years ago and cracked 2 ribs so, gave that one up fast.
Did i mention hiking?

Graywolf
03-07-2010, 03:32
Hmmmm, this is a good thread, I have ot think..

I enjoy playing the Native American Flute along with the guitar and piano..
Bicycling, long distance and touring..
studying herpetology..love reptiles, worked in the Dallas Zoo for 5 years and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as a Herpetologist/Animal Vocal recordings..Love that..
Music, oh wait!!! i already said that..
Recording, working on a new upcoming CD..
And a Private Chef..thats my bread and butter..
Oh and i cant forget, studing maps for my next adventure..

Graywolf

Terry7
03-07-2010, 10:13
www.eveonline.com (http://www.eveonline.com)

sbhikes
03-07-2010, 11:31
fiddle and mandolin, badly
Irish flute, passably
trail running
hiking
recumbent triking

Mrs Baggins
03-07-2010, 16:50
Taking the tent trailer out camping; world travel (going to Turkey this year); fishing; reading ALOT; cooking; writing travel articles;biking on the Mt Vernon Trail and C&O Canal path; sightseeing/road trips; events at the Kennedy Center in DC; growing herbs for cooking; day hiking whenever possible of course.

CrumbSnatcher
03-07-2010, 17:08
I have an antique vehicle (1926) that I cruise around the area with during the summer. I also am into college football for the fall.
what kind of car do you have? VOLS FAN?
i am a Nebraska Huskers fan(GO BIG RED!) Tenn. & V. TECH are in my top 5 favorites.

jnanagardener
03-07-2010, 18:21
Tons of gardening, kayaking, cooking (thanks for the reminder Mags), occasional tennis

scottdennis
03-07-2010, 18:29
I just went snowboarding for the first time Friday and think I've found something new for me to do! I had a blast

Foyt20
03-07-2010, 19:06
I play rugby, read, and try to hike when I can.

Bearpaw
03-07-2010, 19:12
I mountain bike, read, watch movies, write, and follow the Nashville Roller Girls (flat track roller derby).

Occasionally, I work also. :)

WalkSoftly33
03-07-2010, 19:23
When Im not hiking Im on WhiteBlaze!

No seriously, Im young and unattached so on weekends Im often traveling visiting Freinds and Family.

Things I like to do: (not nessisarly often enough)

Play Bball
Lacrosse
Ski
Gym
Video games
Reading
Googling the crap out of things
not sure what else prob missin a few things

Bear Cables
03-07-2010, 20:14
golf, particularly taking the pop up camper to the state park where there is a really nice course. Best of both worlds, camping and golf. Then snow skiing when we can get a week to go.

Tinker
03-07-2010, 20:29
Bicycling (I work in a bicycle shop), canoeing (I used to work in a canoe shop).

Tucky
03-07-2010, 20:41
I like cycling probably as much as I like hiking/backpacking. But when I'm not doing those things I'm usually skiing, reading a book, playing video games or heading out to bars and such with friends.

Rocket Jones
03-07-2010, 20:58
I do hobby rocketry (everything from the little Estes all the way up to high-power birds that reach a mile or more in altitude)
I write online movie reviews, mostly old horror and B-movie flicks.
Painting, making music, reading, cooking and gardening in the summer.
Lots of handyman type chores around the house.

Tinker
03-07-2010, 21:28
Bicycling (I work in a bicycle shop), canoeing (I used to work in a canoe shop).
Oh, I forgot - I cross country ski once in a while. Used to be a passion of mine but I don't like driving up north enough to do it much. I still teach with the AMC once a year.

Tuckahoe
03-07-2010, 21:37
When not hiking...

Well in real life I am a blacksmith. It amazes me that I could actually grow up and have such a profession.

Also involved in reenacting/living history, first Civil War and now World War I. WW1 reenacting also lead to another hobby, which is knitting.

And there is the shooting sports. Love shooting and building firearms (one time I was offered a position as an apprentice gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg). Especially important to me since my dad cant hike with me, this is a hobby that we share together.

Here is a picture of a target rifle I just recently finished --

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/Tuckahoe64/scope003.jpg

DapperD
03-07-2010, 22:20
I do hobby rocketry (everything from the little Estes all the way up to high-power birds that reach a mile or more in altitude)
I write online movie reviews, mostly old horror and B-movie flicks.
Painting, making music, reading, cooking and gardening in the summer.
Lots of handyman type chores around the house.Years ago when I was young I used to build the Centuri brand model rockets back in the '70's, and I remember when the Estes brand model rockets appeared with their mighty "D" engines, besting the Centuri "C"'s. It was funny because I had a discussion with someone else who favored the Estes model rockets, and we debated what was actually the better company. Years and years later I remembered this, and did some searching about what had happened to these two companies. The results were very interesting:http://members.cox.net/retrojayrocket/history.html

dmax
03-07-2010, 23:43
Fishing and GPAA. Playing poker or shooting pool with a cold one in my hand. Also spending time with family. Camping with the family at the campground with the camper. Going to the beach and traveling.

Kerosene
03-07-2010, 23:45
Unfortunately, I only get out for an extended hike once a year.

When I'm not hiking, and I'm not working (computers and healthcare), I'm working out (weights and aerobic) so I can keep playing soccer (indoor only 2-3 times a week, but now with a knee brace). I read quite a bit, waste time surfing the Internet, play the piano to relax, and walk my Golden. I play golf when it's nice outside, mostly to enjoy being outside, and in the winter I try to get out West to ski. My wife says that I'm obsessed with working out, but I'd characterize myself as fairly disciplined, because frankly I don't enjoy working out all that much.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing. --Anonymous

joeboxer
03-07-2010, 23:47
Rock Climbing I'd say is my main interest right now besides hiking, bouldering specifically.

JAK
03-08-2010, 00:34
When not hiking I have been running and cross-country skiing, and also doing some indoor track with my daughter. I have done sailing and paddling in the past, but not so much lately. Also alot of walking lately, as my wife is more of an urban hiker. It's all good.

harryfred
03-08-2010, 01:02
When not hiking I spend a lot of time making, repairing or modifying my hiking gear

Drink beer and hang with hiker trash.

Make my own hard ciders, sometimes wine, use to make a lot of beer.

Do a lot of volunteer work for the church, local food bank, and Democratic Party. I run a car repair ministry through the church.

Like to visit historic sites and museums and such with my wife. Recently started to work camping trips (and more hiking for me) in with this. Right now I am working on a trailer to haul camping gear and two of the 50cc scooters with us to use touring towns and battle fields while we camp.

double d
03-08-2010, 02:07
Lots of cool Hobbies folks here at WB have, as for me, I like to referee high school and college football (I'm in the middle, work the umpire position), read alot of history, work out at a local gym and I enjoy playing chess during the winter months.

drifters quest
03-08-2010, 02:23
When not hiking my two other favorite things are working on the ranch and my horses :) I sold my pony to help fund my hike, she was the first horse I had started and will probably never have another like her; I did buy her with the intentions of selling her but it was still sad. I do still have my gelding though, I could never sell him. Here's a picture of him and I last Summer, i'll sure miss him this Summer!

Hawkwind61
03-08-2010, 10:27
-Snowshoeing
-Mountain biking
-Trail riding (Just lost my 33 year old Tennesse Walking Horse gelding last year though.)
-I also used to train my dogs for things like agility, herding, and tracking. But I lost my beloved old GSD last year too.
(I decided not to get another pup or a horse as that is two more animals I have to find someone to care for when I finally get out on the AT sometime in the next few years.)
-Canoeing/kayaking (Hoping to get myself a kayak this year.)
-Love taking off on backroads day trips
-Letterboxing <--- great to do on backroads day trips
-Gardening
-Avid weight lifter
-Chinese martial arts

-Artist
-Photographer
-Writer
-Avid reader - I read just about anything!
-Scrapbooking (From time-to-time)

buz
03-08-2010, 10:32
Curling (the ice sport) in winter, golf, road biking, and roller blading in summer for exercise. Like to cook, would like to ski more, but live in Ohio, so that is kind of cruel joke.

Reid
03-08-2010, 12:54
Golf, fishing, hunting, football

Ladytrekker
03-08-2010, 13:00
I kayak alot and workout 3 days a week at a high intensity training center. I have a group of friends that we camp, hike/kayak on weekends almost every weekend in the winter/spring.

dmax
03-08-2010, 16:42
I almost forgot....hunting morels and genseng.

Ladytrekker
03-08-2010, 16:54
I forgot too, love College Football season ticket holder to the Florida Gators can't wait for fall.

Reid
03-08-2010, 23:53
Another one of my past times is beating up people who play hackysack and people who have emo haircuts.

Egads
03-09-2010, 00:02
nothing special, yoga, occasional run, mtb ride. taking sailing lessons in spring

scottdennis
03-09-2010, 00:05
Anyone else Geocache?

Hawkwind61
03-09-2010, 00:21
Anyone else Geocache?
My hiking partner and I have run into Geocaches while out searching for letterboxes. They are often quite close together around here. There are even a couple 'hybrids' in the area from what I understand.

Bear Cables
03-09-2010, 00:41
I mentioned golf and skiing but how could I forget the biggest thing I love to do when not hiking! Saints and LSU Football!!!!! So add tailgating to the list. Who Dat!

jrwiesz
03-09-2010, 01:25
Fart baseball! :sun

RGB
03-09-2010, 03:25
Guitar/singing, painting, graphic design, writing, starting/provoking flame wars in forums, arguing about politics, talking about how much I hate starbucks, just driving (mostly on the Parkway), avid meteor shower spectator, pipe tobacco, long-distance running (5ks, 10ks, marathons, halfs, relays, trail-running), downhill skiing, working on/modifying guitar amps, whatever else I find interest in at the spur of the moment.

RGB
03-09-2010, 03:28
Another one of my past times is beating up people who play hackysack and people who have emo haircuts.

Hahaha, there was always this circle of kids at my highschool, and now theres like a completely identical one always on the quad at college.

KMACK
03-09-2010, 05:32
Sea kayaking and alpine carving.

nitewalker
03-09-2010, 06:34
when not hiking i try to keep myself busy with some of the following activities. during the summer months i usually play mens softball, do some fishing, horseshoe league once a week, pool league one nite a week, workout w/ lite weights and some cardio and it seems im always cuting firewood for the upcoming winter..when winter rolls around i am usually found on a frozen pond ice fishing. i also ski, skate and sledd. also keep the execise thing goin. also love to play hoops..one other thing i recently tried was the nintendo weii and i absolutly loved it. bowling, darts, shuffleboard, lawn darts, golf and cow racing. plus many other cool games. never thought i would like to play the weii but i was wrong.....i have really been thinking of doing some bicycle touring over the last few years i just need to kick myself in the arse to get started...also got to find a worthy bicycle, any suggestions??

Roland
03-09-2010, 06:53
~....i have really been thinking of doing some bicycle touring over the last few years i just need to kick myself in the arse to get started...also got to find a worthy bicycle, any suggestions??

You can find better and more expensive bikes, but the affordable standard is Trek 520 (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/520/520/).

nitewalker
03-09-2010, 07:06
You can find better and more expensive bikes, but the affordable standard is Trek 520 (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/520/520/).

thanks roland! that trek is a very nice bike and is the price range i was looking at. i have a trek mountain bike that has been in the garage for 10 yrs strait. it is time to move on ffrom it..

Roland
03-09-2010, 07:10
thanks roland! that trek is a very nice bike and is the price range i was looking at. i have a trek mountain bike that has been in the garage for 10 yrs strait. it is time to move on ffrom it..

I did considerable research before I bought, last year. You will find many good reviews of the 520. I'm very happy with my choice.

It's a great sport for conditioning. Hiking and cycling are not mutually exclusive.

Good luck!

nitewalker
03-09-2010, 07:17
I did considerable research before I bought, last year. You will find many good reviews of the 520. I'm very happy with my choice.

It's a great sport for conditioning. Hiking and cycling are not mutually exclusive.

Good luck!

i looked at the navarra safari last year thru rei and after researching it i decided it was not for me. i also looked at 2 different raleigh bikes along with some trek bikes. i just havent jumped on one yet. that 520 looks impresive and has the rite color...

booger
03-09-2010, 09:31
Exploring and mapping caves, digging in sinkholes to find new caves. and I volunteer at Mammoth Cave NP 4 times a year doing cave restoration.

scottdennis
03-09-2010, 09:46
Does anyone work? :D

Rockhound
03-09-2010, 10:03
I enjoy bubble baths and long moonlit walks on the beach. I love all of Gods creatures and think meat and fur is murder. My favorite color is blue, and my greatest aspiration is to hike from London to New York.

healthymom
03-09-2010, 10:29
homeschool my children, bubble baths with my husband, attend births, very active in my church, picket hospitals :banana, plan my next hike, lurk here, dream about hiking, work out at gym, buy gear, study maps.
Dee
healthymom

Carbo
03-09-2010, 11:10
A little bit of -
-day trading
-reading (mostly about hiking)
-hiking on the beach
-annoying my wife
-fixing crap around the house
-I "go to work" but don't do anything
-going to the gym
-planning my 2011 thru
-goofing off
-cooking spicy food

Just a Hiker
03-09-2010, 11:23
Snowshoeing......x-country skiing......exercise bike......lots of pancake breakfasts

Jaybird
03-09-2010, 11:31
just wondering if anyone wants to share about other sports/activites you might participate in when not hiking...............................ETC.......... ...............................:)

i walk (powerwalk, racewalk) BICYCLE, paint, surf the web (is that exercise?), ride my motorcycle,
& play with my grandaughter!:D

Hawkwind61
03-09-2010, 15:55
Does anyone work? :D
Self-employed. :sun

DrRichardCranium
03-09-2010, 16:31
Homebrewing.

I am doing my own mash, & have won a few prizes for my homebrew.

I also now have a temperature-controlled freezer, so I can also make lagers.

I still need a trailname for my thru-hike this year, and maybe it could incorporate my love of craft beer & homebrewing.

Cookerhiker
03-09-2010, 16:37
Homebrewing. .....I still need a trailname for my thru-hike this year, and maybe it could incorporate my love of craft beer & homebrewing.

Dr. Suds
Suds Doc
Hops Along
Brew-by-you or Brew Bayou

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 16:38
strange brew, aye!:cool:

clodhopper
03-09-2010, 16:40
Golf, fishing, hunting, football

Congrats on the Terriers making the big dance!:banana

nitewalker
03-09-2010, 17:06
strange brew, aye!:cool:

now thats pretty catchy.. im glad you brought this thread up its pretty interesting.......:D

P.S.
i work for 8 mths but get paid thru 9 mths and collect unemployment for three months.. i end up with 5 months off during fall and winter.. not a bad gig

Roland
03-09-2010, 17:19
~
P.S.
i work for 8 mths but get paid thru 9 mths and collect unemployment for three months.. i end up with 5 months off during fall and winter.. not a bad gig

I want that job! Fall and Winter are the best seasons in northern New England.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 17:26
thruhiking didn't fit my work schedule very well, thruhiking season is also the best season for laying brick & block. (1999-04) i would lay brick/block 6 months and hike 6 months

HikerRanky
03-09-2010, 18:15
Work as a project director at a major media company
Working on a degree at night time. Graduate on 12/9/2010 :banana:banana:banana

Teach SCUBA diving (TN is only 8 hours from some GREAT diving)
Play with my 130 pound male German Shepherd
Work with the media ministry at my church
Watch old movies...

I feel tired all of a sudden :)

scottdennis
03-09-2010, 18:45
Self-employed. :sun

Same here. . .so everyone THINKS "aww, you don't REALLY work." LOL! ;)

nitewalker
03-09-2010, 19:21
I want that job! Fall and Winter are the best seasons in northern New England.

campground manager in the state of connecticut. i work march thru october. our camping season is may 1st thru columbus day in october..i have between 4 and 5 months off depending on how march plays out each year. i also have two kids that are still in school so most of my time is still centered around them ..when they both get out of school thats when the real fun begins, i hope...:D

WILLIAM HAYES
03-09-2010, 20:10
biking , playing golf and fine dining

Tinker
03-09-2010, 20:15
Homebrewing.

I am doing my own mash, & have won a few prizes for my homebrew.

I also now have a temperature-controlled freezer, so I can also make lagers.

I still need a trailname for my thru-hike this year, and maybe it could incorporate my love of craft beer & homebrewing.

You should ABSOLUTELY brew up some "Trappalachian Ale" on your hike if possible. I mentioned the above name to the brewery just north of the Kennebec when I hiked through there. I don't know if anything came of it.
If I wasn't so hyper, I might take up brewing myself.

Deerleg
03-09-2010, 21:26
Brew beer!
Brew biodiesel (not in the same pot:eek:)
Golf (poorly, but love it!)
Daily metro park hike
Snow shoe
Soccer-started over 40 and have played 11 years, goes good with brewing beer, hoisting a couple of home brews after a Friday night soccer match is hard to top!

XCskiNYC
03-09-2010, 21:50
Internet porn

YoungMoose
03-09-2010, 22:00
I like to code stuff for computers. I know how to hack peoples computers by teaching myself the stuff. Dont worry i dont do it to people. I just know how to. I also like to go mountian biking.

ki0eh
03-09-2010, 22:07
Work? I design sewers.

I'm into a lot of trail maintenance and planning/mapping stuff. Used to be into ham radio a good bit but haven't quite gotten back into the hang of that scene, hikers tend to be more fun!

We do a lot of family trips, dayhiking, rail-trail bike riding, XC skiing, visiting relatives who are away.

Reid
03-09-2010, 23:30
Congrats on the Terriers making the big dance!:banana

Total enrollment........1,400

RGB
03-10-2010, 02:16
Internet porn

XC just had to bring up the one thing everyone left out.

Hawkwind61
03-10-2010, 09:58
homeschool my children, bubble baths with my husband, attend births, very active in my church, picket hospitals :banana, plan my next hike, lurk here, dream about hiking, work out at gym, buy gear, study maps.
Dee
healthymom
I homeschooled my kids. Kudos! I miss those days.

Same here. . .so everyone THINKS "aww, you don't REALLY work." LOL! ;)
LOL! I hear you! I leave my answering machine on and ignore my phone(s) and computer when I'm concentrating on a project. People give me heck all the time about being so 'hard to reach'.

It does leave me the option of heading out for hikes more than someone with a 9-to-5, but when I get focused on something I have been known to just about work around-the-clock.

Raul Perez
03-10-2010, 15:00
Martial Arts Instructor and Kayaking when not hiking.