PDA

View Full Version : Short torso folks, let's talk packs

ATbound
03-06-2010, 17:12
I am really trying to go with a light weight pack, one around a pound. The one's I'm finding use your sleeping pad as the back support for the pack, for example Gassamer Gear packs and a couple Six Moon packs. My torso length is only 16.5 in, so that would mean cutting my sleeping pad width down by about 4 inches in order for the pack to fit my torso length with the sleeping pad used in the pack. Am I making sense? Is this just what needs to be done, or are there other solutions? I have other packs that fit my short torso great, but they come in at 2.5 lbs and 5.0 lbs respectively. Any other suggestions of methods of using a light pack with a short torso?

JustaTouron
03-06-2010, 17:19
In theory .... if you are small enough to need to trim the sleeping pad for the pack you are small enough that it would still be large enough to sleep on....in theory.

If reality doesn't match theory....you could bring the trimmed off piece with you (stored elsewhere in or on the pack) and using Velcro or a lightweight mattress cover reassemble the pieces for sleeping. (the weight of the velcro or mattress cover might defeat the weigh savings of the smaller pack :mad:).

stranger
03-07-2010, 02:39
A one pound pack is generally going to carry to the shoulders anyway, so having a frame at all is somewhat unecessary because I doubt a one pound pack will have a substantial, or any, hipbelt to hold the weight anyhow.

Saying that, you might want to consider getting a seperate piece of foam specifically for your "frame", then using that piece of foam underneath your feet at night with your pack.

This way you can use your sleeping pad as it is, still have a stiffened pack panel, and not carry extra weight.

ULA uses a stiffened closed cell foam backpanel in their larger packs that would work well for your purposes, maybe give them a call and see if they will sell you a piece of foam that you can cut down to specifically fit your pack?

Just a thought...

If not, carpet stores usually have scraps of foam around, as do backpack repair shops, etc...

skinewmexico
03-07-2010, 11:28
I'm pretty sure you don't have to cut down the Gossamer Gear sitlight pad to fit the pad pocket.

bigcranky
03-10-2010, 11:51
Two things:

1. a 16.5 inch torso isn't all that short, if it's been measured properly. Almost a medium, actually.

2. The length of the pack frame (your pad, in this case) does NOT correspond with your torso length. Otherwise everyone would have a 20 inch torso, right?

Both the SMD and the Gossamer Gear packs use your 20-inch sleeping pad to help provide a virtual frame. This helps transfer some weight to the hip belt for better load carrying comfort. Some lightweight packs have an adjustable torso length (like the SMD Starlite), others come in a range of sizes and you just have to pick the closest one. If you are talking about the SMD Swift, the Medium might fit reasonably well. (This assumes your 16.5 inch measurement is accurate.)

On another note, even with your pad to provide some support, none of these packs are all that comfortable over 30 pounds in my experience. Many 1-lb packs are only good to 20-25 pounds total weight, including food, etc. I've been using the Starlite for five years, and love it, but I keep my total to 30 pounds or less. This is a roundabout way of suggesting that unless the rest of your gear is really light, a 1-lb pack isn't the way to start losing weight. Just sayin'.

skinewmexico
03-11-2010, 00:18
Most of the Gossamer Gear packs have an aluminum frame now.