PDA

View Full Version : snow in southern cali, ice axe?

ATbound
03-06-2010, 17:16
I've been hearing reports of high snow in the southern California mountains. I had originally planned on mailing my ice axe ahead to Kennedy Meadows for the Sierra's, but am now questioning if it may be wise/necessary/safer to have it with me through the mountains prior to the Sierra's. I have experience in snow, but would hate to be left wishing I had brought my axe along from the beginning. It's difficult making these decisions with out seeing the conditions myself, so are there any folks who are hiking currently in the southern Cali PCT mountains that would be willing to share their recommendations? What are you other PCT 2010 thru hikers planning to do?

leaftye
03-06-2010, 19:21
It depends on when you're leaving. I'm leaving early enough that I'm planning on carrying the ice axe in the higher mountains of SoCal. My ice axe is pretty damn light anyway.

ATbound
03-06-2010, 19:44
I'm starting April 23, and my axe is a pound, so it wouldn't be that bad I guess.

sbhikes
03-06-2010, 20:00
From what I remember, there was only one small segment on Apache Peak that an ice axe might be nice to have. But if there have been others who have gone before you and trampled a good path in the snow, you can do it without them, using trekking poles for help.

After that, Fuller Ridge has some steep slopes, but I did it in Chaco sandals the year I went (2008, May) and I was fine.

In 2008 in May it snowed like crazy the weekend I was to arrive at Baden Powell. A lot of postholing but nothing that needed an ice axe. That section is closed this year anyway.

Everyone keeps talking about how much more snow we're getting this year, but you can't really know what it will be like until later. We could get a heat wave.

Anyway, you can pick up your ice axe at the Paradise Cafe and then send it home again in Cabazon. You won't have to carry it for very long at all if you decide you want to bring one.

leaftye
03-06-2010, 20:48
There are a few local forums about those mountains. I think those would be the best to watch to see what local climbers/hikers are using. I'm leaving in late March, so I'm very much inclined to bring the axe there. Things could be very different a month later.

Ender
03-06-2010, 21:15
I'm starting April 23, and my axe is a pound, so it wouldn't be that bad I guess.

I left April 20th (back in '03) and didn't need the axe at all till the High Sierras. But then, every year is different. Still, I think chances are you won't need it.

fix-it
03-09-2010, 04:56
No on the axe if u have poles and or are confident on your feet

fiddlehead
03-09-2010, 05:37
It's always good to know how to self arrest with what you have available.
I know many people use trekking poles now.
I have used collapsed trekking poles with the basket removed to stop myself on, what could have been a very bad fall already.

I normally don't use poles and have also found pointy rocks to cross some dangerous chutes of hard packed snow already.

Practice makes perfect in all of these things (including ice ax)

wandering_bob
03-09-2010, 13:43
Trekking poles - metal or carbon fiber - will help you keep your balance and make walking feel easier and more secure on snow and/or icy slopes.

Don't bet your life on them - especially carbon fiber -to stop a fall on high angle slopes.

Carry what you will; just know the limitations of your gear and more importantly, your skill with it.

Erik The Black
03-13-2010, 13:34
I would definitely not carry your ice axe from the beginning since there are only a few high altitude parts of southern California that you have to worry about even in a high snow year.

http://www.blackwoodspress.com/blogstuff/socal-snowmap-1.gif

The first one you will encounter is the San Jacinto mountains after Highway 74. You might consider mailing your ice axe to the town of Idyllwild, CA and then keep your ear to the "trail grapevine" about the snow conditions in the San Jacintos.

If it sounds like it's gonna be hairy you can hitch into Idyllwild and pick up your axe, and if not you can forward it on to Kennedy Meadows.

Miner
03-13-2010, 15:52
I would definitely not carry your ice axe from the beginning since there are only a few high altitude parts of southern California that you have to worry about even in a high snow year.

Last year, IceAxe got his trail name from carrying an iceaxe from the border. And yes, he mailed it forward at Mt. Laguna.

Moose2001
03-19-2010, 13:15
If you don't know how to use it to self arrest.....why carry it at all? Looks burly having it strapped to your pack. If it's just there for show or you don't know what to do with it, why bother?

neighbor dave
03-19-2010, 16:20
looky here for pickchers an' trip reports, great site wif great people.
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/index.php

Jester2000
03-19-2010, 17:29
If you don't know how to use it to self arrest.....why carry it at all? Looks burly having it strapped to your pack. If it's just there for show or you don't know what to do with it, why bother?

I didn't see anything in ATBound's original post that would lead me to believe she didn't know how to use one. Did I miss something?

And of course, the alternate possibility to not bringing one because you don't know how to use it would be to, you know, learn how to use it.

But I do agree with your ultimate point -- carrying one without knowing how to use it is kind of silly.

rasudduth
03-20-2010, 16:08
We felt secure with hiking poles and microspikes in the snowy sections south of KM. Maybe mail them to either Warner Springs or to Idyllwild (via Pines to Palms highway) just before the San Jacinto (sp?) mountains.

For the Sierras we felt secure with good tread on our trail runners, hiking poles (especially for water crossings) and ice axes. Remember, mountaineering certified axes are strong enough to use them as anchors, as thruhikers we don't use them for that purpose, so the potty trowel and all other light axes are fine for our use of them (at least we didn't make alpine anchors with them).

ATbound
03-21-2010, 23:39
Thanks for all the input, folks!

leaftye
04-09-2010, 18:50
Fwiw, after a couple hikers had near death experiences in the San Jacintos about a week ago, the group going thru it right now decided to use mountaineering gear....ice axe, crampons, snow anchors, rope, etc. They should be the first to succeed this year. Hopefully I can follow them soon...just need a little more time to heal.

Dont Panic
04-11-2010, 19:23
Wing It and I just hiked the Section from Pines to Palms Hwy 74 to Saddle Junction. We had microspike "crampons" and ice axes (real ones, not the "potty trowels"). It was a very high snow year in Southern California and sections of the trail still have a lot of snow: 3-4 feet on the North side of Apache Peak, and even more by Saddle Junction.

There are some VERY steep and icy traverses that will probably not melt very soon. We were forced to chop up to a quarter mile of steps in the ice to get around some of the more difficult sections. If you plan on hiking this section soon I highly recommend carrying an ice axe as well as some sort of extra traction for your shoes.

Don't Panic

Dont Panic
04-11-2010, 19:28
Fwiw, after a couple hikers had near death experiences in the San Jacintos about a week ago, the group going thru it right now decided to use mountaineering gear....ice axe, crampons, snow anchors, rope, etc. They should be the first to succeed this year. Hopefully I can follow them soon...just need a little more time to heal.
We met up with this group at Tahquitz Meadow. They had made it through to Saddle Junction and if they stay on schedule they should make it through Fuller Ridge today. They chose to hike over the top of Apache Peak, rather than around it on the PCT grade and from their description it sounded like their route was less exposed than ours.