PDA

View Full Version : Feral Dogs on Trail--Anyone Lost a Great Dane?

SawnieRobertson
03-06-2010, 17:49
I guess we all fear running into feral dogs on the trail, the fear coming from the knowledge that it is likely that they do not fear humans and that they are probably quite hungry. Our imaginations go on from there, including remembering news stories about feral pit bulls' attacking people enjoying the outdoors. Makes me tremble to think about it.

Then there are those trail dogs who are lost and are soooo sweet, like Tennessee of 1999 who was determined to carry on with his NOBO hike, human hiker along or not.

But I'm writing this to speak of a spotted Great Dane who lives in the woods with other smaller dogs between my house and Trimpi Shelter. One icy November morning in 2008, I crossed my ice-covered alfalfa field to rescue my younger Standard Poodle who had broken through our Invisible Fence and crawled under the wire cattle fence to get to the pasture beyond. Out there I could see the feral dogs, including I thought a GREAT DANE. Reason told me that I had to have "seen things," but this morning it was confirmed by my neighbor that the Great Dane is out there.

She believes it and the others survive partially by coming into her yard at night and eating her dogs' food. No, I didn't rant at her about leaving pet food outside in bear country. Mostly I rejoiced that I was not "imagining things."

Then it occurred to me that maybe that Dane was a trail dog at some point. Certainly, no one around here has lost one. Is there anyone out there who knows of a Great Dane who was lost on the trail somewhere in SW Virginia?

--Kinnickinic

Wise Old Owl
03-06-2010, 17:54
Shame - big dog...

climber2377
03-06-2010, 19:16
cant say that i do. i know little about the breed except that they are rather large and mostly timid in nature, but i ve yet to meet one that is malnourished and looking at me like i m food.

MyName1sMud
03-12-2010, 12:07
I own a great dane myself. Love the breed. wouldn't own any other breed.

as for the great dane out there..... have you contacted a Great Dane rescue? I am sure they would love to find the dog a home.

Not the pound....... an actual great dane rescue.

like this one.

http://www.greatdanerescueinc.com/