PDA

View Full Version : Water bladders ?

Loneoak
03-06-2010, 22:37
Who actually uses a water bladder in their backpack? Seems a lot of folks don't bother using them, they just carry a couple plastic water bottles.
If you do use them, which brand do you prefer?

thanks

fiddlehead
03-06-2010, 22:52
They leak in freezing temps.
Better to use bottles.

With that said, i do carry a water bag (like a wine box insert) but only use it in camp or wherever I'm making my meal.

leaftye
03-06-2010, 23:00
I use a MSR Dromedary. Does that count? I compress the crap out of it and busted an alcohol bottle, but the nearly 10 year old Dromedary is still performing like a champ. It froze partially a few weeks ago. No leaks.

Praha4
03-06-2010, 23:17
I had a Camelbak Omega 2L hydration bladder leak on me last December in subfreezing temps. I've owned Playtpus Hosers and the Camelbak Omegas, and the only one I'll consider using now is the Camelbak Unbottle, it's the bladder inside an insulated sleeve with some clips on the side where you can attach it to web straps or use a carbiner to attach it to a pack. I've quit using them in the backplack sleeve that the manufacturers put in almost all packs these days, they can leak too easy.

All the SOBO thru hikers I met in north GA and NC back in Nov-December were using simple plastic water bottles like Gatorade or Aquafina bottles...every one of them said they quit using bladders cuz of leaks.

I bring along a Sea to Summit folding bucket to use in camp, it holds up to 9L of water, you can fill it from a stream or spring, bring it back to camp, and have plenty of water for 1 or 2 hikers to wash, cook, and filter for the next day's hiking.

boarstone
03-07-2010, 07:52
I'm with Praha4...if your going to be in "water country", bottles will work, but if in dry area or the desert or long time between water sources, I use the camel unbottle 2L, it can be clipped and carrie on the outside of the pack, lessening leakage issues and frees up inside pack space. It is an insulated reservoir sleeve that keeps liquid cool, is abrasion-resistant and reservoir can be removed from the sleeve. It's worth the price.

JustaTouron
03-07-2010, 09:02
it can be clipped and carrie on the outside of the pack, lessening leakage issues and frees up inside pack space. .

Does that cause balance problems?

I have always heard...and experience seems to confirm this....that you want heavy things closest to your back and only strap light things to the outside of the pack...sleeping mattress then sleeping bag and if you still need room bulky clothing. Seems the last thing you would want on the outside of a pack is 4-1/2 lbs of water.

Darwin again
03-07-2010, 09:26
Platypus one or two-liter collapsable water bag/containers. They ride outside my pack in the mesh pockets. Never had one break on me in five years of use.

Spokes
03-07-2010, 09:49
I carried a 2L platy bladder. Just filled it up and laid it in the top of my pack. Pretty simple.

My platy NEVER leaked unlike the MSR bladders which had the crappy oversized fill caps. Saw way too may thru's cussing the things last year.

sparky2000
03-07-2010, 09:59
I enjoyed one crowd of hikers two years ago that always tented next to the water, never at a shelter, and didn't carry water.

Manwich
03-07-2010, 10:07
I've had a 3L Platypus for 2 years. I punched a hole in it once with my Pocket Rocket's sharp Pot-Stand rubbing against it for 14mi. Put some duct tape on it, that's held since August.

Not sure about the freezing temps thing. If it's full when you go to sleep and it ices over, yeah, you're going to have a problem. But otherwise, I store my platy and hose in the freezer when I get home so crud doesn't grow in it.

:shrugs: I guess I bought the right one.

Terry7
03-07-2010, 10:08
I always have a bladder [Platypus] you need to stay hydrated all the time. With bladder you dont have to stop to drink, when filtering water you can pump right into the bladder with conector, but the best reason is you want that weight right next to your back to keep you balanced. Oh ya with bladder you dont have that sloshing sound all day long.

Jonnycat
03-07-2010, 11:31
Same as Spokes, 2L (or more) Platypus on the top of my pack before I close it (right next to the filter).

Need water? It's the first thing there when you take off your pack.

Loneoak
03-07-2010, 11:51
So it looks like those of you who carry one, prefer a Platypus and have not had many problems with leaks. I guess if you store your (sleeping bag) for sure inside a dry bag (just incase), it would be fine to carry inside your pack.
Still looking at packs and realize that a bladder is going to take up inside space, even if not much.

Jonnycat
03-07-2010, 11:59
So it looks like those of you who carry one, prefer a Platypus and have not had many problems with leaks. I guess if you store your (sleeping bag) for sure inside a dry bag (just incase), it would be fine to carry inside your pack.
Still looking at packs and realize that a bladder is going to take up inside space, even if not much.

I had an old Platy leak, and I think with enough wear it isn't surprising. Fortunately, they are cheap and lightweight enough to carry a spare for your main container.

The one I had leak was very old, and it was a tiny little pin leak up towards the top. You could see the plastic becoming opaque from constant flexing, so it is easy to predict when failure will occur.

Definitely store your bag in a trash compactor bag, for many reasons other than a leaking bladder.

As to pack space, I use a Granite Gear pack (nimbus ozone), so I never have to worry about running out of space on the top of the pack (expansion collar FTW).

Praha4
03-07-2010, 12:03
good question, you don't want the 2L unbottle hanging off the back of your pack for that very reason. I carry mine on the side of the pack, just slide the bottom of the bladder down in the side mesh pocket, and the top of the bladder clips to the lid of the pack with a small carbiner.... the unbottle also comes with a webstrap on the top u can use to attach to the pack. So you have the same weight distribution as you do with a full 2L bottle of water in the side mesh pocket. Put something on the other side mesh pocket to balance it if thats a problem.

JustaTouron
03-07-2010, 12:23
I am not sure if a wet sleeping bag is the worst of your problems if your 2 liter water bag bursts.

If you are carrying that much water, because you are in a desert situation than dehydration is a much more serious problem than a wet sleeping bag.

Personally I think it is bit foolish to carry that much water in a non-desert situation. I would rather carry 4.5 lbs less weight and stop 2-3 times a day to filter than to carry that much extra weight.

karo
03-08-2010, 00:16
I am not sure if a wet sleeping bag is the worst of your problems if your 2 liter water bag bursts.

If you are carrying that much water, because you are in a desert situation than dehydration is a much more serious problem than a wet sleeping bag.

Personally I think it is bit foolish to carry that much water in a non-desert situation. I would rather carry 4.5 lbs less weight and stop 2-3 times a day to filter than to carry that much extra weight.
I think that would depend on the water situation. Right now it looks like there should be no problem with finding water on the trail, but in years past we have had droughts and not knowing if there was water available in a dry stretch of the trail could be dangerous, esp. for people like me who sweat a lot. Also you can have a 2 liter bladder, but you don't have to fill it up completely if there is water farther up the trail. Remember you can live without food for a few days but not without water.

harryfred
03-08-2010, 01:20
I have a 2L Cyclone water bladder (Walmart). The first two I got had to be returned for defects this one has lasted me well for two years, and is still good to go. and it cost me less than $10. During the summer I use it and a 1L soda bottle I carry on the back of my back. I drink out of the bladder as I walk and I drink out of the bottle when I stop I have been known to refill the bottle during the day I do not like to hike very far off the trail just to refill with water. For camp water I now have a modified plastic bladder out of a 5L wine box. Thank you Sgt. Rock:banana I use to just carry an empty 2L soda bottle

Bear Bag
03-08-2010, 02:43
I use a 2-liter Platypus and have never had an issue with it. The only thing I have to be careful of is to make sure that the bite valve never has any weight resting on it when I take my pack off. I wasn't careful of that once when I had my pack stowed in the back of my car on the way to a day-hike. My pack rolled over on top of the valve and mashed it open, and some of my water leaked out.

El Jefe
03-08-2010, 10:53
I hiked with a bladder last year and will be switching to just a water bottle this year. The bladder was too much weight (granted it was a 3L). I may take it and just use it for camp this year. Definatley go water bottle.

JustaTouron
03-08-2010, 11:44
I think that would depend on the water situation. Right now it looks like there should be no problem with finding water on the trail, but in years past we have had droughts and not knowing if there was water available in a dry stretch of the trail could be dangerous, esp. for people like me who sweat a lot. Also you can have a 2 liter bladder, but you don't have to fill it up completely if there is water farther up the trail. Remember you can live without food for a few days but not without water.

True, how much you need to carry would vary with the water situation. My point is that if you are in drought/desert situation and your 2 liter water bottle bursts, a wet sleeping bag is least of your problems. It might be smarter to carry 4 - 1/2 liter water bottles than 1 - 2 liter one, particularly if you don't trust the durability of the water container.

scottdennis
03-08-2010, 12:45
I sweat like it's cool or something so I tend to go through a lot of water. When it's freezing I usually carry all my water in bottles and don't mess with my bladder. When the temps allow I definitely carry my bladder so I can drink while I hike and don't have to stop. (I'm not as flexible as some of you guys/gals who can dig around in your pack while it's still on.)