PDA

View Full Version : Ray way hiking method

alalskaman
10-01-2004, 19:21
Lately have been trying the 'method' of walking described by ray in his books. Basically consists of walking slow, resting a lot, preferably with feet elevated, but doing this for many hours a day. For me, it really works - i still feel a bit silly doing it, stopping after 45 min/3 mi., when not tired - seeking place to flake out for a few minutes, etc. BUT, bottom line is, I never do get tired this way. Last week did a 16 mi mountainous route that I remember just about killed me when I was 25, this time, at 59, it was a cakewalk. Took exactly 8 hours, including all rest stops, meal breaks, etc., so average was only 2 mph. Next day, no stiffness, no pain, could have done it again. Oh, also he says to never let your pulse rate get too elevated, I think that's part of the secret too. We only have so much energy, we can either go a certain distance fast or a much longer distance slow. Like a top fuel dragster, uses 8 or 10 gallons of fuel as I recall, to cover a quarter mile in 6 seconds and hit 300 mph. The same amount of fuel in a Toyota Echo would take you maybe 400 miles but take all day. Cheers, Bill

rickb
10-01-2004, 19:31
"Only 2 MPH"

Seems like you were moving rather fast to me ;-).

Jersey Bob
10-01-2004, 21:56
at least 10 characters

JimSproul
10-02-2004, 09:38
Yes sir, that is the way to do it. 2 mph in some areas sounds fast to me. The first mile of the Approach Trail from the parking lot to the top of the Falls usually takes me most of an hour but I make it to the top of Springer!
I also find that if I keep my pace moderate, as you say but lengthen my stride a bit, the miles made good seem to go up.
I find it easier at 50+ to spend a whole day walking than when I was 25. I may not be strong below the shoulders, its what's under your hat that really gets you down the trail.

Kerosene
10-02-2004, 11:56
This is a great strategy when you have sufficient daylight. In the summer you might even supplement with a mid-day siesta.

It's tougher to pull off between October and March when it's only light out for 10-11 hours. Regardless, maintaining a 2 mph pace with rest stops is faster than most. My natural stride tends to push me over 2.5 mph while walking, but I don't take enough rest stops when I'm by myself. It's especially tough to do so when it's raining.

Frosty
10-02-2004, 12:34
This is a great strategy when you have sufficient daylight. In the summer you might even supplement with a mid-day siesta.

It's tougher to pull off between October and March when it's only light out for 10-11 hours. One way to deal with fewer hours of daylight (and getting in more miles per day without hiking faster) is to start before sunrise.

Getting up before dawn and hiking the the dark is actually uplifting as the woods gradually get lighter. It somehow brightens one's mood. To me, the exact opposite occurs when I continue hiking after sunset. As the woods darken, my mood deteriorates. Not that I get depressed or anything, but there is an anxiety at work just below the level on consciousness.

This is one of many hiking tips I picked up at Warren Doyle's workshop at the gathering last year. To those who might not attend the Gathering because of acrimony, I didn't see evidence of that last year. Just a bunch of excellent panels. Besides Warren's, I was especially helped by Mara Factor's lightweight backpacking, and Dr. Bluffington's medical panel.

kentucky
10-02-2004, 12:39
I didnt know the term for it but this summer I was hiking in higher elevations out west and found myself huffing and puffing!so I used my little brain and decided to slow down and enjoy my hike.I was hiking about 2milesan hour and found renewed energy and my body felt great!kentucky

Mags
10-02-2004, 16:17
Seems reasonable. Maybe us older 'folk' are like the tortoise. Slow and steady. SNIP... physiology going on here but the slow hi-mi sure works.

Bob
For what ever it is worth, many ultra runners are in their 50s and 60s. In my first (and only so far!) ultra, I was the youngest male to finish (the youngest was was 26 yo woman). The two top finishers were in their late 30s. Of the 11 people who completed the race, six were 55+. All but two people finished faster than me. :)

Something to be said for experience in any endurance "sport".

makemerry
09-24-2006, 12:58
I agree. We live in a culture that teaches us to try to get what we want by force, by pushing and straining, especially our sports culture. After 35 years of that I was thrilled to discover Chinese Qigong and the idea that relaxation, not strain is what builds healthy muscles. I've been doing qigong standing meditation for a half hour every morning for the last year and another half hour of slow qigong/tai chi movement to circulate energy; my muscles are strong and my energy is many times greater than it was when I was weightlifting and running regularly.

SGT Rock
09-24-2006, 13:10
I enjoy hiking like that. Something to be said for going slow and taking lots of breaks.

Tha Wookie
09-24-2006, 15:41
I agree. We live in a culture that teaches us to try to get what we want by force, by pushing and straining, especially our sports culture. After 35 years of that I was thrilled to discover Chinese Qigong and the idea that relaxation, not strain is what builds healthy muscles. I've been doing qigong standing meditation for a half hour every morning for the last year and another half hour of slow qigong/tai chi movement to circulate energy; my muscles are strong and my energy is many times greater than it was when I was weightlifting and running regularly.

Great post. What Ray is teaching is a different interpretation of Qigong movement. I don't want to speak for Ray, but I believe that much of his technique was blended with his own experience and the exeriences he had learning from the Tom Brown Tracker school.

Many hikers hardly think about the way they walk. But the truth is that the way one walks dictates their entire experience on a trail, given relatively stable circumstances.

The "Ray way" walk is very much like Qigong and many other althetic arts in that it focuses the center of balance in between the hips, and lets the muscles bear the burden of shock instead of bones, joints, tendons, etc.

Aside from the physical properties, walking the "fox walk" (very similar, but focused on awareness specifically) can lead to much more intimate experiences with nature. Animals sense us by the waves we send while moving through the forest. If we learn to lesson our ripple through technique and pure intent, we set ourselves up for a whole new level of hiking experience.

Unfortunately, since most of us were raised on concrete straightaways with little incentive to "flow" instead of "tramp", we have to relearn how to walk properly.

I developed that walk just by hiking, it does come naturally, if you let it. Still, I have learned more and more how loud my ripple is, from great teachers like Ray, Jenny, and Tom. Now I do it regularly, around the house, on the trail in the back woods, and on the long paths. Consequently, I see the forest and the city in a whole new light.

Thanks for posting a great and so often unappreciated practice.

Shutterbug
09-24-2006, 16:58

It's tougher to pull off between October and March when it's only light out for 10-11 hours. Regardless, maintaining a 2 mph pace with rest stops is faster than most. My natural stride tends to push me over 2.5 mph while walking, but I don't take enough rest stops when I'm by myself. It's especially tough to do so when it's raining.

I just started hanging a hammock this year, but found that it is great for the rest stops. Most of the summer I was hiking on Mt. Rainier. The bugs were awful and gave extra incentive to keep moving.

I learned that a great way to take a break is to hang my HH beside the trail. I can elevate my feet, get away from the bugs and get a great rest for a few minutes. 10 to 15 minutes in the hammock helps a lot, but more than once I fell asleep and streached the break to 45 minutes.