PDA

View Full Version : Small Sink to wash up in

partinj
03-07-2010, 12:37
Just wonder do any of you take the bottom half of a gallon bleach or milk bottle
to put water in to wash up around camp.
:rolleyes:

Lyle
03-07-2010, 13:10
Already carrying a cooking pot. If your squeamish, line it with a ziplock to wash in.

warraghiyagey
03-07-2010, 13:13
What's a snik?

leaftye
03-07-2010, 13:14
What's a snik?

It's what your clothes do to you after they still smell even after spending a good bit of time cleaning them.

juma
03-07-2010, 13:15
I carry one like that to wash up, dip water, put my stove canister in with warm water to heat up the gas in cold weather, spash water on myself to wash off mud, and soupbowl!

Jonnycat
03-07-2010, 14:13
What Lyle said.

Feral Bill
03-07-2010, 15:00
I pour water from a pot over my hands to wash, Morrocan restaurant style. I Like your idea and may give it a try for socks, etc. Costs no weight or money to speak of.

Hikes in Rain
03-07-2010, 16:51
I use one, too. Free, weightless, and a good size for washing up before handling my contacts. (My reason for carrying it.)

Graywolf
03-07-2010, 18:09
What's a snik?

When I first saw the post I thought it was talking about snikers...

But to keep this on topic, Now that I know what its about, I dont carry a "basin", just a dedicated pack towel to wet and wash off a bit..

Works fine for me...

Now, does anyone have a snik?? Im hungry..

Graywolf

mudhead
03-07-2010, 18:14
Bottom of a two liter pop bottle makes a good dog dish. Wonder if that would work as a sink.

SGT Rock
03-07-2010, 18:18
I generally use a creek.

JAK
03-07-2010, 18:24
I only have 1 or 2 mug/pots.
If either is bigger, it is the sink.

Blissful
03-07-2010, 19:54
Nope. I don't worry about it. Towns are a few days apart. :)

mtnkngxt
03-08-2010, 14:07
Embrace the stink.

Newb
03-08-2010, 14:15
what's this "washing" you speak of?

Mother Nature
03-08-2010, 14:37
I use the bottom of a large plastic ice cream tub cut down to about 2-3 inches high. My food bag nestles in it nicely. I put my english muffins, tortillas whatever in the bottom of the food bag and top them with a cheap light plastic plate.

Last time out I lined the tub with plastic wrap and made a big batch of No-Cook Cheesecake in it.

DrRichardCranium
03-08-2010, 15:32
A "Snik" sounds like a Dr Seuss creature.

Skyline
03-08-2010, 16:18
I have an inflatable dog bowl. Sold at Pet Smart type stores. Made of plastic, weighs next to nothing. You inflate it with your own hot air, of which I'm told I have abundant resources. Then secure its own plug so it becomes a dog bowl. Or in this case, a snik.

Many Walks
03-08-2010, 17:22
We carry a Granite Gear collapsible sink for cleaning up and rinsing clothes. Works for us.

jesse
03-08-2010, 18:04
I've used a sil-nylon stuff sack to wash clothes in.

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 18:18
i agree with blissful

Doctari
03-08-2010, 21:46
A "Snik" sounds like a Dr Seuss creature.

I thought it was the sound that SUPER dirty shorts make as you walk. :p

Cookerhiker
03-08-2010, 21:58
Bandana...

Rick Hancock
03-08-2010, 23:02
If you go to Brawny and Rainmaker's TrailQuest home page there is a section on trail hygiene that's pretty good.
Rick

Egads
03-08-2010, 23:12
I tried to name our new pup "Snik". The wife wouldn't go along with it.

She didn't like "Pizza-Mutt" either

excuses
03-08-2010, 23:12
I carry a collapsible dog bowl which can be folded up. can be used as a rain hat too.

Panzer1
03-09-2010, 09:57
I have tied my 4liter Dromlite water bag to a tree and used the small nozzle to squirt a continuous stream of water onto my face and head.

Panzer

Secret Squirrel
03-09-2010, 13:35
I have the GSI Pinnacle Cookset and the stuff sack that is included is designed to be used as a sink (snik). It is handy.

partinj
03-13-2010, 12:34
Sorry hit the wrong keys thank for the link to TrailQuest great stuff

Fiddleback
03-14-2010, 10:39
I've used collapsible bowls (particularly 'dog bowls') with some success. But now what I like to use are the plastic containers that package meats, e.g., hamburger.

They too are 'weightless', indestructible, and provide a rigid 'sink' that I prefer over the collapsible alternatives. And there is a wide range of sizes, from 1lb to 4lb containers.:D Choice of colors, too...black or white.

FB

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 00:22
I have the GSI Pinnacle Cookset and the stuff sack that is included is designed to be used as a sink (snik). It is handy.
I have the same thing, a little small, its great, gets the job done, more durable than i expected.

Username75
03-16-2010, 02:41
Sounds STUPID doesn't it, but as a Ham Radio operator I carry a 2 Meter Magnetic Mount Antenna to use with My Alinco 2 meter Hand Held tranciever, My gold Pan works great as a Ground plane.
I also can wash Clothes and dishes in it, as well as great from a bathing.
it also is great for protecting the back of My pack.
I fire Blue them to keep them from rusting, and NEVER Leave home
without one.
I keep My Nikon and lenses under it, or My Kalloflex medium format when I carry it, but mostly a Nikon FG-20 and 3 Lenses a Nikon 35-70 mm Lens
with a nikon 45-135 mm Lens and a Vivitar 28-200 mm Lens.

billslade
03-16-2010, 13:18
Just wonder do any of you take the bottom half of a gallon bleach or milk bottle

Yup, I carried one that lasted from GA to ME last year. Works great to wash up with in the evening. My cook pot pretty much nested inside it.

shelterbuilder
03-16-2010, 19:58
Well, it's not QUITE a sink, but if you take a 1 gallon plastic jug with a screw-on lid, punch 1 small hole in the bottom corner that's opposite the handle, and then insert a twig that's the same size as the hole, you have an instant washing station! When filled and capped and with the twig inserted, it will leak only until a slight vacuum is created inside the jug. You can hang the handle over a broken branch, and the hole and twig-plug will be at/near the lowest point.

Ready to wash? Crack the cap a bit, and pull the twig-plug, wet down, lather up, rinse. Re-plug and tighten the cap to save the rest of the water for later. (Cheap? You bet I am...ah, I mean, you bet it is!:D)

Lone Wolf
03-16-2010, 20:09

huh? hell no!

Bear Cables
03-16-2010, 20:26
I take a Sea to Summit small collaspable sink. It's great for soaking sore feet at the end of the day:)

Tinker
03-17-2010, 00:15
You could probably use a gallon zip lock bag. As a shower, it would probably work if you zipped it most of the way up and held it over your head and let the water stream out of it. I know you can use them for washing socks/underwear - just zip them filled with warm water, soap, and your grungies and massage the dirt out, then add clean water a couple of "cycles" to rinse.

Erin
03-17-2010, 01:50
Nice idea, I never thought of it.
On a section, we really just wipe our cooking stuff well and figure the germs won't land until we get home. There was no washing of the personal bowls on the At, little water, and we have the same issues here. None of us had had any problems. We just heated water in our jet boil and used our personal bowls or mixing and eating. We had a rule, everyone's bowl had to be licked clean. Gross. Before a quick rinse from hot jet boil water.
In hot weather, I use a gallon zip lock with camp suds and water. Wash the salt out of wicking shirt, panties, socks. In that order. Dump in cat hole or far from water source. We hung the clothing overnight and it dried out fine.
Seperate bandana for body wash as needed.
I take a pack of 15 wetwipes on a section to use on the body and feet. I am a big believer in taking care of my feet and clean them every night. And on the AT the dry no water time, the feet were filthy at the end of the day. I learned early to take care of them and I have not had blisters ever or any problems other than soreness. It is my foot routine and I got teased, until I was not in the blister photos. None? None.
I carry the wipes out in my trash zip bag "nasty bag"

sbhikes
03-17-2010, 10:31
(Yeah, I know, garlic. Welcome to the world of the AT...)

Save some weight and just pour a little water from you water bottle or pot, use your bandana or a stream. No need to pile more stuff on your back. No need to try to take your current life in its entirety with you.

leaftye
03-17-2010, 10:52
Water in a gallon ziplock works for laundry. For hygiene I've been using wet naps, however, I could also use my 10.5 ounce gravity filer water bag for a shower too....or running water for a more traditional kind of sink.