PDA

View Full Version : campsite north of Davenport Gap?

Big Dawg
10-01-2004, 21:20
Anyone know of a decent campsite (w/ or w/o water) north of Davenport Gap, past I40, heading up snowbird mtn before you get to Groundhog Creek Shelter? The Appalachian Trail Guide only shows 1, a mile north of Davenport Gap before you get to I40, then none til the shelter.

Groucho
10-01-2004, 22:19
Anyone know of a decent campsite (w/ or w/o water) north of Davenport Gap, past I40, heading up snowbird mtn before you get to Groundhog Creek Shelter? The Appalachian Trail Guide only shows 1, a mile north of Davenport Gap before you get to I40, then none til the shelter.

Info I have: Campsites at Painter Branch 4.7 and 5.1 mi N of Davenport. Also between the 2 peaks of Snowbird there is a trail leading right (heading N on trail) leading to spring and campsite after 250 yds.

Doctari
10-06-2004, 10:32
I was thru there April of 2003, seems to me there were plenty of places to pitch a tent or hang a Hammock. I didn't need to as I was heading to Standing Bear Farms the first day then did 10+ the next day.
But I do remember making a mental note "that would be a good/great place to camp" several times on that stretch of trail.

One area that stands out: just after you climb the stairs after passing under the highway, on the Left seems there was a nice flat area. Water is at the bottom of the stairs, and again about 1/2 mile later. Close to the road, but a steep climb so minimal access (read "a quiet place"). I saw no signs of camping then, should be a nice place to stop.
I just had a thought, I only need a 10.5' x 4' area to set up camp, so may have been thinking along those lines. My "Flat area" may be a bit small for you.

peter_pan
10-06-2004, 16:13
Get a hammock and hang virtually anywhere...no need for level sites.

No Pepsi
10-06-2004, 16:38
There are a couple of places before you get to Snowbird. The campsite on the right as you leave davenport gap is a great spot. That might be the 1 mile site you referenced. There is also a good spring about 3 or 4 miles in that would be a good spot to camp. Finding a spot shouldn't be a problem.

jigsaw
10-10-2004, 12:24
there's a nice campsite at painters branch. good water source too.