PDA

View Full Version : Thought on these shoes?

Brian321
03-07-2010, 18:42
Hello, I am looking for some good quality hiking shoes and i ran across these, I tried them on at the store and they were pretty comfortable. Has anybody used these? Are they good quality? Also i only looked at this store and one other, should i look at a few more stores before i make my decision? Thanks.

Here they are:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat601931&id=0074831813287a&navCount=21&podId=0074831813287&parentId=cat601931&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Pacific Tortuga
03-07-2010, 18:58
I'd find a outfitter that sells them and try em on. The best way to know if they're for you and I have not heard anything negative about Merrell.

d.o.c
03-07-2010, 19:42
you should consider montrail if you are goin to fork tht kind of cash on shoes but u should try them on first i used both companys and montrail is my first choice

kyhiker610
03-07-2010, 21:06
If you're planning on doing a long distance with these shoes, i'd go to an outfitter, try them on... and THEN i'd ask the outfitter to load a pack with weight (or bring your own!) Shoes always feel comfy.. the true test to me is whether they feel comfy with a pack on.

Tinker
03-07-2010, 21:34
you should consider montrail if you are goin to fork tht kind of cash on shoes but u should try them on first i used both companys and montrail is my first choice

Shoes are too personal and important an item to make a suggestion based upon make.
Fit is the #1 consideration. Until you find a shoe that fits like a glove, keep looking. After you find one that does, THEN you can consider other models in that line.
Several manufacturers that I've used with great success in the past have changed their lasting, making the shoes fit differently, from year to year.
Someone above suggested visiting an outfitter and trying on shoes.
Good suggestion.

d.o.c
03-07-2010, 22:05
im baseing it on my opinion from use i wore my montrail continental devides from springer to deleware water gap i corently have on my merrels i have found from my use of them that my montrails where designed with long distance high impact use on trails in mind

d.o.c
03-07-2010, 22:10
i am corrently upset with the fact that montrail stopd makeing their cont devides but i used the streaks thru maine and they workd perfect i wore my merrels thru jersey and new york desided they didnt fit my foot like montrail did but if merrel is ur shoe man by all means go with it i just was thrown a very good and reliable shoe out there

Jonnycat
03-07-2010, 22:52
I bought a pair of those a couple of years ago. They went back to Cabela's, IIRC they were too narrow, otherwise I liked them.

jnl82381
03-07-2010, 23:16
I've got a pair of Merrels and love them. I know I'll have to replace them during the trip as they will wear out, but I imagine most shoes will. I read your post and understood it so I'm not going to tell you to go to an outfitter and try them on :P you've already done that. Trying them with a loaded pack would be a good idea though. If they feet good, get them. They are a good brand with good soles. I'd go for it.

grayfox
03-08-2010, 08:52
Merrels have become my shoe of choice these days. As mentioned, lasts change, you have to keep trying on brands you gave up on before.

I like that the soles on my Merrels are fairly sturdy. Fair protection from rocks and light weight. Not as good protection as my old Asolo boots but more flexable and easy on my feet. I like the mid style better than the low. When the low shoe gets wet it stretches and gets loose and lets my foot slide both side to side and back and forth. Mid height does not do this as much and does not get sloppy-flexable.

I had a very light pack on my last Isle Royal trip and used my low cut Merrels. The trail was muddy and rocky-(sound familliar?). I wished I had brought the mid style instead.

Merrel used to make an all leather high cut that was very nice. I havn't seen them lately.