PDA

View Full Version : Silly Newbie Question About Mt. Katahdin

Spot In The Sky
03-07-2010, 22:58
Going SoBo, if I stayed the night beore my start date at Katahdin Stream Campground, which is 5.2 miles from the top of the mountain- Id have to walk up it, then down it (so 10.4 miles right?) and then head toward Abol Bridge. Doesnt seem like I do this all on the first day because that would be like 25 miles...so on my first day so how far should I realistically be going? Do people generally make that their first day-up and down and thats their 10 miles for the day and then move on to Abol the next day?

Lostone
03-07-2010, 23:04
That is what I would do.

25 miles is too much for the first day.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2010, 23:16
It's going to take you all day to climb up and down Katahdin. Figure 1 mph for most of that 10 miles!

Spot In The Sky
03-07-2010, 23:17
Katahdin Stream CG is like $30 a night! So should I plan on staying there two nights? The night before a I start and the night I go up and down the mountain?

white_russian
03-07-2010, 23:35
You could also stay in town and get a shuttle in on the morning you climb if they can get you there early. Two nights at KSC is preferable so you can get a early start on the mountain. You should try to find someone to share the campsite with to split the cost.

Red Hat
03-08-2010, 07:25
That price is per campsite and usually 4-6 share a campsite. I did reserve 2 nights in 08 and had several ladies to share. Unfortunately, Greyhound lost my stuff for a few days and I didn't get to spend a night there.... but to answer your question, you'll be glad to rest after going up and down Katahdin. It's not a walk, it's a push, pull, slide on your rear rock climb.

jnetx
03-08-2010, 08:09
Nice hiker hostel. Paul does an overnight SOBO package that can include pickup from the Bangor bus, a night's stay, and shuttle to the park early next morning. He will even take you to the cafe he owns in town for an early hearty breakfast if you want. He will get you to the Ranger Station where you register to climb before 8. That's plenty of time for you to choose and pack a daypack, sign in and get on the trail with plenty of time to hike up and back. When you get back you pick up the remainder of your gear at the Ranger Station and walk about 1/4 mile to the campground for the first night.

There will likely be other hikers staying, you might be able to share a site or shelter with someone by booking in advance. When we were there there were some hikers that had not made reservations and they just shared someone else's site. A Ranger comes round in the evening to check the camping reservations and users. If you didn't register they will sort the fee out then.

Katahdin is a good workout for the first day, especially if the weather is cold and/or wet. I would definitely stay at Katahdin Stream that first night after summitting.

Yahtzee
03-08-2010, 08:44
Katahdin Stream CG is like $30 a night! So should I plan on staying there two nights? The night before a I start and the night I go up and down the mountain?

Unless something has changed since I was there two years ago, the Birches shelters are free and just a couple of tenths of a mile south of the Campground.

mudhead
03-08-2010, 09:55
That price is per campsite and usually 4-6 share a campsite. I did reserve 2 nights in 08 and had several ladies to share. Unfortunately, Greyhound lost my stuff for a few days and I didn't get to spend a night there.... but to answer your question, you'll be glad to rest after going up and down Katahdin. It's not a walk, it's a push, pull, slide on your rear rock climb.

Last year it was $10/person, $20 minimum. Not sure what is going on this year.

mountain squid
03-08-2010, 10:07
Unless something has changed since I was there two years ago, the Birches shelters are free and just a couple of tenths of a mile south of the Campground.The Birches aren't free and they are supposed to be for NOBOs having completed the 100 Mile Wilderness. See Baxter State Park (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html) webpage for info.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Blissful
03-08-2010, 13:03
We're staying in Millinocket the night before at the hostel, hiking K then staying at Katahdin Stream that night.

Blissful
03-08-2010, 13:04
Unless something has changed since I was there two years ago, the Birches shelters are free and just a couple of tenths of a mile south of the Campground.

its only for NOBOs or you must have hiked the 100 mile wilderness. Birches is paid site

fredmugs
03-09-2010, 11:52
First off it's 5.2 miles up and then 15.1 to the Abol bridge for a 20.3 mile day. The 10 miles from Katahdin stream campgorund to Abol bridge is cake.

I summitted Katahdin on a bum knee in 3 hours and 15 minutes and that included a 30 minute wait at the halfway point for some slower hikers. You are going to have 15 hours or so off daylight.

I recommend not taking hiking poles because they are a major liability on the way down. Do take some kind of windbreaker jacket.

I would hike up and make it to Abol bridge. Don't let these old dudes scare you off.

Spot In The Sky
03-09-2010, 13:14
First off it's 5.2 miles up and then 15.1 to the Abol bridge for a 20.3 mile day. The 10 miles from Katahdin stream campgorund to Abol bridge is cake.

I summitted Katahdin on a bum knee in 3 hours and 15 minutes and that included a 30 minute wait at the halfway point for some slower hikers. You are going to have 15 hours or so off daylight.

I recommend not taking hiking poles because they are a major liability on the way down. Do take some kind of windbreaker jacket.

I would hike up and make it to Abol bridge. Don't let these old dudes scare you off.
You sound so confident i love it!

Mags
03-09-2010, 14:34

How many miles did you hike the following day? :)

Any chump can hike 20 miles. It takes an in-shape chump to hike 20 mile days back to back.

Yeah..I'd do the 20 miles in one day, too. I'm also in good shape and enjoy it. (I'm a really big chump). And because I am in good shape, I can do ~25 MPD consistently.

If the OP can hike 20 miles the first day (Which I don't doubt) AND not have to take the following day off, go for it.

If the OP can, try to get a 20 mile hike in with 4000' or so cumulative gain. (Most hikers ignore the gain!) Then go for another hike the following day. No excuses. How do you feel? Good? If so, follow Fred's advice.

Otherwise, take it easy the first day.

Remember most AT hikers at the start are, to put it bluntly, out of shape couch potatoes who discuss stoves, water filters and knives for hours on end but poo-poo the idea of walking 3 days a week after dinner.

If the OP is NOT a typical first time ATer, then Fred's advice is spot on. My gut feeling is that most AT hikers are not ready for 20 miles hiked/4000'+ gain followed by another backpacking day.

If you are gung-ho to hike 20+ miles/4000' gain in your first day (and not take a day off), get in shape first. It's what I'd do if going SoBo. I'd buy myself a beer at Abol to celebrate my first night on trail. :)

Snoopy
04-11-2010, 22:40
Great info and posts... thanks to all