PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic

smkymtngirl
03-07-2010, 23:17
I have white blaze fever so bad, and hopefully someday will be able to at least section hike the trail. But for now, I would love to be able to participate in a tiny way by being able to give in some way to the hikers. Can anyone give suggestions of places that the trail would be easily accessable for my family and I where we could have cold drinks, food, etc for the hikers? Maybe a campground that is near the trail? We live near the Smokies, but could do a weekend trip to areas in GA, NC or VA also. I've read tons of books written by thru hikers, but would love to actually hear first hand stories of the trail, and I think it would be a great experience for my children. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

trailangelbronco
03-08-2010, 00:25
Best bet is to look at the trailmap for raod crossings that you would want to drive to.

If Bill Bryson's movie about the trail, which is supposed to be produced by Robert Redford, ever gets to film, the trail magic will be crazy

Tennessee Viking
03-08-2010, 10:38
There is usually a good sized hiker feed at Sams Gap in April. I can't remember the exact time it happens. It is usually as the first of the crowd starts getting close to Erwin.

I would look at some major road crossings. Find a place just before town or far from the last town. No sense of doing magic somewhere within a days walk after the last town.

If you want to stay in town, call a hostel and see if you can help out with cooking and cleaning.

For Knoxville, nothing better than Newfound.

Symbol
03-09-2010, 10:00
smkymtngirl... I think it would be a great thing for you and your family to do. The suggestions above are great. Anything you do will be appreciated by the hikers.

In my fuzzled old mind the more random it is and in the most unexpected place... the more memorable it will be for the people you meet.

For example, if you feel comfortable drivng on Forest Service roads and you can find one that will take you to a trail crossing maybe a mile or two (trail) miles north of a shelter and can get there very early in the morning.... you could do coffee and pancakes or scrambled eggs.

I think Easter weekend tends to be a popular weekend for find people doing this sort of thing so you may want to either do it that weekend to find others doing it too... or pick another weekend to be even more of a unique thing.

Again, ANYTHING you do will certainly be an awesome experince for you and your family... and very much appreciated by the hikers.

Rockhound
03-09-2010, 10:09
I have white blaze fever so bad, and hopefully someday will be able to at least section hike the trail. But for now, I would love to be able to participate in a tiny way by being able to give in some way to the hikers. Can anyone give suggestions of places that the trail would be easily accessable for my family and I where we could have cold drinks, food, etc for the hikers? Maybe a campground that is near the trail? We live near the Smokies, but could do a weekend trip to areas in GA, NC or VA also. I've read tons of books written by thru hikers, but would love to actually hear first hand stories of the trail, and I think it would be a great experience for my children. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Maybe Fontana Dam. You could stay in the village. At the shelter you will find lots of hungry hikers. Many would need shuttles to and from the P.O./laundry etc. At the shelter you could have burgers going on the grill and a cooler full of sodas etc...just don't advertise when you'll be there. Trail magic is suposed to be a surprise.

Ox97GaMe
03-09-2010, 13:53
The GSMNP is curbing trail magic at Newfound Gap. Apparently, a couple years ago, a large group was up there with the intent of doing a multi-day hiker feed in the parking lot, to include live band and several grills. I think there was even a donation jar set out. All of this raised issues with the park service and it got a little heated before it was all said and done.

You might be able to do a small thing like hand out sodas, fruit, or cookies. But I dont believe they allow folks to set up and cook for the hikers anymore.

Rockhound
03-09-2010, 14:44
The GSMNP is curbing trail magic at Newfound Gap. Apparently, a couple years ago, a large group was up there with the intent of doing a multi-day hiker feed in the parking lot, to include live band and several grills. I think there was even a donation jar set out. All of this raised issues with the park service and it got a little heated before it was all said and done.

You might be able to do a small thing like hand out sodas, fruit, or cookies. But I dont believe they allow folks to set up and cook for the hikers anymore.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Rockhound
03-09-2010, 14:48
Band, multi=day, donation jar, parking lot, national park. Can't imagine why anyone would get upset. I think something a small scale would be welcome. 1 car, 1 cooler, 1 grill, 1 day.

jesse
03-09-2010, 15:40
Why can't you hike on weekends? If you want to do something beneficial, volunteer to do trail maintenance. Trail magic ain't that great.

Blissful
03-09-2010, 16:04
We do a hiker picnic in late May up in SNP and cook on our propane stove (this year will be our second year near Swift Run Gap- details coming in early May). I mean - having a band playing music and donation jar? That's taking it too far, esp on Federal property, IMO.

smkymtngirl
03-09-2010, 16:43
Thanks everyone for the good ideas. This will be our first attempt at something like this but I know it would be a great experience, not only for me, but also for my kids. We do a lot of hiking and they love it...but I think it would be great for them to meet some thru hikers. It will probably be a low key simple kind of thing for us....some homemade cookies, drinks, etc...but hopefully we can do it at a place and time that hikers might need a boost.

Cookerhiker
03-09-2010, 16:49
One nice quiet and unexpected place for you to consider is Shady Gap where the Trail crosses US Rt. 421. It's the last major road crossing in TN and as I noted from my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=98010), there's a picnic table at the trailhead where you could lay out your goodies.

At this locale, you're far enough beyond the well-known celebrated places - Franklin, the Smokies, Hot Springs, Irwin, Kincora - that most hikers would likely not be anticipating Trail Magic so they'd be quite pleasantly surprised. Of course, it's only 15 miles from Damascus but that comes later for them.

Also, I agree with the suggestion about trail maintenance. It's great that you want to give something to the Trail Community already. Have you joined the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club or the Carolina Mountain Club.

drdewrag
03-09-2010, 17:00
Good luck to you in your trail magic efforts! While those who are section hikers may not appreciate the magic - as stated above - the Thru-Hikers that we have served already this year are absolutely blown away by what is offered. Your kids will love it!

Jester2000
03-09-2010, 19:21
Why can't you hike on weekends? If you want to do something beneficial, volunteer to do trail maintenance. Trail magic ain't that great.

There are few things that one can count on in this world, but one of them is people suggesting one do trail maintenance when one asks advice on doing trail magic.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2010, 21:59
Thanks everyone for the good ideas. This will be our first attempt at something like this but I know it would be a great experience, not only for me, but also for my kids. We do a lot of hiking and they love it...but I think it would be great for them to meet some thru hikers. It will probably be a low key simple kind of thing for us....some homemade cookies, drinks, etc...but hopefully we can do it at a place and time that hikers might need a boost.

you and the kids should go to a military installation and give the magic out to deploying soldiers. hikers aren't special at all

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 22:09
you and the kids should go to a military installation and give the magic out to deploying soldiers. hikers aren't special at all
i'm special to my daughter:cool:
& back when i was in school,i was told i was very special and to prove it, they let me ride in a special bus!

Jester2000
03-10-2010, 10:53

One of the other things one can count on is someone suggesting spending one's time and effort on something that has nothing to do with hikers.

Ox97GaMe
03-10-2010, 11:38
I was thinking about doing trail magic for the troops, but they just wont give me a visa to go to Iraq or Afganistan. :(

So I guess I will just have to settle for providing some magic for the not so special folks that walk that long, narrow path.

hellomolly
03-10-2010, 12:45

Based on this response and the one you posted in my thread in the women's forum about how the loved ones of deployed soldiers have it "ten times tougher" than a hiker's loved ones, it seems like you care a lot less about hiking and hiking topics and a lot more about hijacking threads to focus them on the military. So I guess the question is, why don't you go post on a military forum about how crappy deployed soldiers have it and how lame hikers are? Because it seems like you're a bit out of place. :rolleyes:

Magic Man
03-10-2010, 17:23
Trail magic ain't that great.

Oh how wrong you are!

d'shadow
03-11-2010, 04:12
Newfound Gap. Last Easter I dropped off a couple of hikers and stayed to offer drinks and treats to other hikers coming through. Many of us hung out all afternoon enjoying the sun. The Rangers were friendly to all of us. If you go, be sure to take some gallon jugs of water for the hikers. The bathrooms do not have the water turned on until summer season.

Class2010AT
03-11-2010, 20:17
Having trail magic is great!! how could anyone put it down? The troops get a little magic every month called a paycheck. Lets not forget if your a troop or a hiker you made the choice to do so.