PDA

View Full Version : Hammock and NeoAir?

raptor182
03-08-2010, 03:03
I have heard how comfortable the Blackbird and Hennessy Hammocks are and that they require under-insulation to stay warm. I have also heard the Thermarest NeoAir is the most comfortable ultralight under pad. Has anyone tried these products together and if so just how comfortable is it compared to other more traditional pads?

Red Hat
03-08-2010, 07:17
A thermarest is a great pad in a tent, tarp, or shelter... but IMO you need something wider in your hammock. Check out www.hammockforums.net where you'll find all the info you need about insulation.

1azarus
03-08-2010, 08:45
I bought a neoair SHORT before hammocking thru the Smokies -- thinking i could use it if forced to sleep on plywood. That never happened, and i had a chance to use the neoair in my simple gathered end hammock. It was my only under-insulation, and it would seem to be fine to say around 40 degrees. It is quite comfortable. Beyond that i would want a wider foam pad under the neoair-- say 1/4" -- for another 10 degrees or so. beyond that gets either simpler (real underquilt) or more complicated (more foam pad thickness).

mbiraman
03-10-2010, 02:59
Although not the cheapest way to go an underquilt is a good solution to hammock insulation question. As someone else mentioned , Hammock Forums is the go to place for all your links and video's , for and about hammock gear.

beep
03-30-2010, 18:38
Using a "ground" pad in a hammock will work...sort of...but works better in hammocks that are double bottom layers (e.g. Warbonnet Blackbird). In my experience of trial and error, the WIDE pads, 25" or so, are better at keeping my shoulders with some insulation. One pad solution is the Speer Hammocks SPE, a nifty thing that makes it easier to add width to a normal pad. Additionally, you can add extra padding in the SPE to gain more insulation.

For my own hammocking, I strongly prefer using a partial underquilt (2/3 length) with down for insulation. Some 1/4" evazote foam under my legs and I'm good to go!

Kerosene
03-31-2010, 09:57
I strongly prefer using a partial underquilt (2/3 length) with down for insulation. Some 1/4" evazote foam under my legs and I'm good to go!Beep, what's the rationale for the partial underquilt approach?

Ewker
03-31-2010, 11:21
Beep, what's the rationale for the partial underquilt approach?

less weight than a full length underquilt. The pad weighs next to nothing and can be used as a sit pad

Kerosene
03-31-2010, 12:52
The pad weighs next to nothing and can be used as a sit padEverything weighs something, and it seems to weigh disproportionally more the lighter I get my pack! If the rationale is solely weight, then I'm looking for specific weights for a temperature range, plus the length and thickness of the pad. Thanks.

10-K
03-31-2010, 12:55
Everything weighs something, and it seems to weigh disproportionally more the lighter I get my pack! If the rationale is solely weight, then I'm looking for specific weights for a temperature range, plus the length and thickness of the pad. Thanks.

I understand the first part, but I don't get the part about specific weights....what do you mean?

beep
03-31-2010, 14:49
Beep, what's the rationale for the partial underquilt approach?

As Ewker said, the partial UQ is lighter, smaller in packed bulk and ultimately cheaper. It provides underneath insulation coverage from knees to shoulder (more or less), so a pack or foam pad or something else is needed to insulate my lower legs and feet. If you're carrying a pad anyway (for those occasions when you can't "hang"), then that's a good dual use for it. A pillow or extra clothes are sufficient for my head.

My Warbonnet Yeti 3 season down UQ packs down just a bit bigger than a Nalgene 1 liter bottle and weighs about 12 1/2 ounces in its stuff sack.

Just Jeff
03-31-2010, 21:06
My current partial UQ is the Winter Yeti at 18.5 oz rated at 5F. I use the Gossamer Gear Nitelite torso pad at 3.5 oz under my legs. That's 22 oz and I've used it at just below 0F already. Most ~22 oz underquilts are good for around freezing...so I basically get an extra ~25F for the same weight.

I'm considering getting the 3-Season Yeti at 11.5 oz (30F)...so my bottom insulation would be 15 oz and good to freezing. Several folks have reported taking the 3-Season Yeti to 20F...not sure if I could go that low with it, but still - 15 oz is really good for those temps.

I like partial UQs b/c I get the underquilt comfort (i.e. no sweaty back or pressure points) at a much lighter weight, don't have any underquilt fit issues, and I like to carry a CCF pad anyway...backup in case I need to go to ground, sit pad for breaks (I use the GG pack so it's readily accessible), stove windscreen, fan the fire with it, have it for a splint, etc. I just use it for my legs in the hammock...it doesn't give me the normal pad issues when it's under my legs, and the weight of the CCF torso pad is a several ounces less than the half-underquilt it replaces.

Works for me...YMMV. The only lighter system I've found is sewing insulation directly to the hammock, like the DownHammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.html). It works very well but takes away some adjustability b/c you can't vent in warmer weather.

10-K
03-31-2010, 21:25
The only lighter system I've found is sewing insulation directly to the hammock, like the DownHammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.html)..

Wow... I had this same idea last weekend. Why not just insert a pad into my WBBB and sew it shut with a zipper on the end to take it out if I wanted to?

In the morning just roll it all up....

Just Jeff
03-31-2010, 23:06
I think that would work, but what's the advantage of doing it that way?

10-K
04-01-2010, 06:00
I think that would work, but what's the advantage of doing it that way?

Keeping the pad in place.

My biggest issue with inserting a pad into the sleeve on my WBBB is when I turn over the pad shoots out from under me.

With something like this you could use a regular length neoair maybe...

Just Jeff
04-01-2010, 07:58
My biggest issue with inserting a pad into the sleeve on my WBBB is when I turn over the pad shoots out from under me.

Interesting...I hadn't heard that before. Does it shoot out of the pad sleeve, or just over to the side where it's not insulating you?

10-K
04-01-2010, 09:50
Interesting...I hadn't heard that before. Does it shoot out of the pad sleeve, or just over to the side where it's not insulating you?

Over to the side.

I'm mostly a side sleeper and I *think* I could make a 20" pad work if it would stay in place.