PDA

View Full Version : Suggest route for fly fishing/hiking trip

Black bear
03-08-2010, 08:58
I am planning a 3 nighter in mid April and want to do a trip that will allow me to hit some good fly fishing spots in the park and also get out in the backcountry for some hiking and camping. I was at Hazel creek recently and it looked like an awesome spot for fly fishing. I have also heard there are good streams in the Tweny mile area and ofcourse the middle prong near elkmont I have heard is a good spot. I would need some short days in terms of hiking but also some good camping spots.

fiddlehead
03-08-2010, 09:33
I know some great spots in Montana.
Are you going anywhere near there?
I would guess that there will be too much snow on the ground yet in April though.

mts4602
03-08-2010, 15:01
Campsite 37 is good in Big Creek. Take Big Creek Trail 5 miles to #37. Easy trail, good campsite and pretty good fishing from what I've been told.

mister krabs
03-08-2010, 15:08
Check out the jocassee gorges area of the foothills trail near the NC/SC/GA corner. Horsepasture and Thompson rivers have some good fishing and it's a nice hike.

mister krabs
03-08-2010, 15:08
sorry, just saw this was in the GSMP section.

Ox97GaMe
03-08-2010, 16:40
Head to Bryson City. and the end of Lakeview Drive, you can do the loop that includes Lakeshort Trail, Forney Creek, Springhouse Branch, and Noland Creek. This would be a nice 3 day loop, with 3 nice creeks for fishing and 2 really nice campsites (#71 and #64). you also get to either start (clockwise) or end (counterclockwise) the loop by going through the tunnel on the road to nowhere.

chelko
03-09-2010, 11:50
I have done two 4 day 3 night trips recently (last fall) one on Deep Creek and the other on Noland Creek. Short days 5-6 miles great campsites, good fishing. Need a shuttle for both though. PM me for details if interested.

10-K
03-09-2010, 11:59
Check out the jocassee gorges area of the foothills trail near the NC/SC/GA corner. Horsepasture and Thompson rivers have some good fishing and it's a nice hike.

ha... I was just about to type the same thing. I just got back from hiking the FT and I saw more people fishing than I did hiking.