PDA

View Full Version : trail stories

achangeincourse
03-08-2010, 10:04
I've heard some really neat trail stories from a thru hiker i Know. What's your favorite trail magic and/or hitch hiking stories?

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 11:08
well lets see we had like this hiker party in manchester vermont for a hiker who was leaving the trail we stayd there for multiple days haveing fun then as people started heading back to the trail a few of us desided to goto burlington that got a few more interested so we desided to make it a race across vermont four groups of three raced hitch hiking across vermont leap froging eachother the whole way we stayd at a freinds house their went swimming in lake champlain then hitchd back to manchester then hiked north again this took up over a week off the trail i think but was alot of fun

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 11:09
the party was the trail magic xtravaganza this happend last year we had sixty plus hikers in his house

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 11:12
i was given a phish ticket to see their show in pittsburg i got there and it was a great show i wish i could have seen more of their summer tour but i went hiking instead

Mango
03-08-2010, 11:59
Read Bugs's account on trailjournals (AT '06) about getting a hitch with a guy whose car stopped every few miles; he had to blow into a breathanalyzer mounted on the dash to get it started again. This was near the James River in VA. Hilarious (though not at the time for her).

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 16:45
ha my freind has one of those in his car

Rockhound
03-08-2010, 17:33
While taking a zero at Chets Place in N. Woodstock. I was recruited along with Lumpy to deliver 90 Budweisers to the Garfield Ridge campsite to dispense to thirsty hikers. I slack packed with 60 and hiked 5 miles up and back. Lumpy had all his gear plus a 30 pack. Hiked 5 miles up and kept going. Very happy hikers when we got there although there might not have been quite 90 beers left when we got there. Feels good to give back.

achangeincourse
03-08-2010, 21:54
While taking a zero at Chets Place in N. Woodstock. I was recruited along with Lumpy to deliver 90 Budweisers to the Garfield Ridge campsite to dispense to thirsty hikers. I slack packed with 60 and hiked 5 miles up and back. Lumpy had all his gear plus a 30 pack. Hiked 5 miles up and kept going. Very happy hikers when we got there although there might not have been quite 90 beers left when we got there. Feels good to give back.

Indeed i can see that

envirodiver
03-08-2010, 22:02
Favorite line is:

In the 100 mile wilderness last fall...rainy day and a very crowded shelter. About midnight (actual, not hiker midnight) A SOBO later named Lucky, elbowed me and said "take my spot and pad, I'm going to hang my hammock". Sweet! Took the opportunity to get a little privey time in, after my dinner enchiladas. Came back and Lucky (not yet named) was sitting with his back to the shelter and others were moving around, smoking, etc.

I asked Lucky what he was doing and he responded by asking me if I wanted to see something really cool. Course I responded yes. He walked me about 50 yards from the shelter and showed me the tree (18-24" dia.) that he had tied his hammock to. It was laying on he ground at a 90 deg angle from his hammock.

To my point, the next day at our midday break I mentioned to pebble puppy that there was no way we could have gotten the tree off of Lucky had it fallen on his hammock instead of at 90 deg to it.

His response was..."yeah would have made for a pretty awkward breakfast".

LMAO.

climber2377
03-08-2010, 22:04
i was given a phish ticket to see their show in pittsburg i got there and it was a great show i wish i could have seen more of their summer tour but i went hiking instead

i was at that show and i went to many others... this year i m hiking though.

Rockhound
03-08-2010, 22:27
Favorite line is:

In the 100 mile wilderness last fall...rainy day and a very crowded shelter. About midnight (actual, not hiker midnight) A SOBO later named Lucky, elbowed me and said "take my spot and pad, I'm going to hang my hammock". Sweet! Took the opportunity to get a little privey time in, after my dinner enchiladas. Came back and Lucky (not yet named) was sitting with his back to the shelter and others were moving around, smoking, etc.

I asked Lucky what he was doing and he responded by asking me if I wanted to see something really cool. Course I responded yes. He walked me about 50 yards from the shelter and showed me the tree (18-24" dia.) that he had tied his hammock to. It was laying on he ground at a 90 deg angle from his hammock.

To my point, the next day at our midday break I mentioned to pebble puppy that there was no way we could have gotten the tree off of Lucky had it fallen on his hammock instead of at 90 deg to it.

His response was..."yeah would have made for a pretty awkward breakfast".

LMAO.
Wharrgy, Fricky and I ran into Lucky again down in Rangeley and he was certainly living up to his name. Let's just say trail magic follwed that boy wherever he went.

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 22:50
Camp grounds in burgettstown where crazy when all that fog rolld in i got lost for hours

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 22:54
i managed to get to a good deal of fall tour shows and did all four nights in miami i did good considering my hike goin thru the summer tour

Lumberjack2003
03-09-2010, 20:17
Several of us caught a hitch back to the AT in a boat that they guy way towing. It was great to see the faces of the other hikers as we passed by.

achangeincourse
03-09-2010, 22:27
Several of us caught a hitch back to the AT in a boat that they guy way towing. It was great to see the faces of the other hikers as we passed by.

lol that would be pretty fun