PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Trail Packing Suggestions

The Food Network
03-08-2010, 12:36
Considering that they're rumored to be one of the most popular packs on the AT, I was hoping to catch someone who's completed a thru with one for some advice on how to optimize this thing. Actually, I'd be grateful for any advice at all.

I love this pack, but feel like I have to unpack EVERYTHING every time I go in it, since it only has the one opening at the top. Presently, I have everything organized into stuff sacks, including:

-Tent
-Sleeping Bag
-Sleeping Pad
-Cooking, Toiletries, First Aid
-Clothing
-Food

And, they're sort of in that order in the bag, with the sleeping stuff on the bottom. Is there a smarter way to set this up? What sorts of things should I have accessible on TOP, and should I consider repacking into more sacks?

Another thing: I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I'll just ask:

What's the best way to hang stuff like my Crocs, rain pants (bagged up) and ukulele off of my pack? I mean, obviously, I could whip out the parachute cord and just tie them on, but isn't there an easier solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tenbeer
03-08-2010, 12:57
I am not a thru, but I have done some long hikes with this pack. I put my tent on the outside in the middle of the pack, under the back compression straps. The crocs i hang on the side compression straps. I don't carry a musical instrument, or a fragile item like a ukalele. I keep my rain gear in the side pockets when it looks like I will need them. I also keep snacks and heavily used items in these pockets as well. Yes it is a top loading pack and to pack it properly you have to stuff things in and compress. The key is not to have to access the pack but every so often. They do make a top compartment to this pack, but I have not seen it. Good luck. Also you have to keep your load light to enjoy this pack. It does not ride well with loads over 30 to 35 pounds.

Kerosene
03-08-2010, 14:19
I have the Nimbus Ozone, the big brother of the Vapor Trail, and use it for my annual week-long section hikes with a total carryweight of 25-30 pounds.

I also position my tent (SMD Lunar Solo) on the outside middle of the pack.

Crocs can be hung off the side compression straps, although I usually have enough space to carry them inside.

Pack cover is in a side pocket, with rain parka/pants near the interior top. If rain is intermittent, then I might lash the parka with the top compression straps.

I use the The Lid (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GG350) for map, wallet, and smaller stuff, which I found invaluable.

If you are concerned about the "black tube" style, then take a look at the Meridian Vapor, which provides a zipper to access the bottom and middle of the pack.

drifters quest
03-08-2010, 14:35
I have the vapor trail ki and I first line the pack with a compactor trash bag then put my sleeping bag and other down stuff loose on the bottom, then I put my food/toiletrees bag in and against my back. I put my sleeping pad and some of my clothes that are in a stuff sack on either side of that. then with my extra clothes i stuff them all around to fill in the empty spaces. I put my tent on the outside in the middle like everyone else is saying but i make sure it is strapped to it somehow because I had to backtrack a few miles once after losing it. As for crocs, I would either stick them in the pack or attach them to one of the side straps. Like someone else mentioned I keep some of the things i'll need right away in the top pockets such as a snack, hand sanitizer, and pack cover. I find these packs are much more comfortable if they are "filled in" instead of having a chunk here and there like what happens if you put everything in stuff sacks. I'm no expert and still learning but so far this is what i have figured out.

For attaching stuff to the pack you could always pick up a couple of small carabiners- they would work for the pants and crocs... i'm not sure how people have attached ukuleles.

The Food Network
03-08-2010, 15:59
Thanks for all the assistance. I'm at 26 lbs dry, meaning all my stuff (including the uke!) with 5 days of food. Only thing not included is water, so add another ~3 lbs for the 3L Platypus and a backup bottle.

I know the uke is weird and fragile, but since I only paid $20 for it, I'm not worried about it getting damaged, since it almost certainly will. It's my one luxury item. :)

I will definitely take the idea of keeping the pack cover in one of the pockets, and just throwing the Crocs in the bag. I'm not so sure about having the tent on the outside of the pack; I actually like the fact that this pack keeps the weight so close to the body, and since the tent is my heaviest item at 2 Lbs 14 oz, and I'm not anywhere close to filling the neck of the pack.

I could definitely hang the rain stuff from a karabiner, and that's a great idea. I think I need to find some adjustable clip-straps, kind of like the ones that cross over the top of the pack to hold the ukelele on. You think they sell those?

Chaco Taco
03-14-2010, 10:46
From the bottom

Pack liner
sleeping bag
clothes
sleeping pad (lays on top of bag with clothes in front)
down jacket
tent Double rainbow slides right down the front along that midsection, fits perfectly
After that I lay stove and food on top.
I have a stash bag I lay on top of my food bag for easy to grab stuff and use the bottle holders on the outside for rain gear and raincover.

They make a lid for the VT for easy to grab stuff. i understand your frustration with the pack. It really just takes some creativity when packing to get it down. Once you have that, the pack is amazing.

Jonnycat
03-14-2010, 11:38
----
Water
Food
Tent/Bag/Cookset (and random stuff)
Clothes (and random stuff)
------------
Bottom

skinny minnie
03-14-2010, 13:17
I have a plastic grocery bag and in the AM I toss in my lunch for the day in it plus some extra snacks/first aid kit. Keep a few snacks in a side pocket, but it's nice to have more options easily accessible and less squished. My food bag is generally the heaviest thing in my pack so I don't like it on top - I try to keep it as close to my back as possible. I think I'm gonna wean myself off the water bladder and just keep smaller amounts in bottles in my side pockets/refill more often - helps keep pack weight down. Also you can get those little plastic loops to hang a small bottle of hand sanitizer from the outside of your pack. No stuff sack for the sleeping bag and generally I keep everything else in ziplocks no stuff sacks.

skinny minnie
03-14-2010, 13:18
(the plastic bag with lunch is on top of everything else in the pack, forgot to include that specification)