PDA

View Full Version : Igloo 4lb Holofill Sleeping Bag #IT-MSB -- Temp ?????

Toinesolo
03-08-2010, 12:51
I was given this 4lb bag brand new. Its grey with a large blue strip up the front. It looks and feels like a 0F-20F bag. I have searched the internet to no avail. Does anyone out there know who makes it Or what temp rating it is. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Model - IT-MSB

flemdawg1
03-08-2010, 13:27
Igloo, like the cooler? I would guess its a $30 k-mart bag and I wouldn't trust it to be warm below 40F.

Snowleopard
03-08-2010, 13:45
Is that 4 lb total weight or 4 lb of holofill insulation (substantially more than 4 lb of total weight? If it's the latter, 4 lb of holofill, it's might be good to below freezing. 0F is doubtful in any case. Holofill is an older synthetic insulation, at one time considered on of the better ones but now obsolete.

I've used cheap old fashioned rectangular sleeping bags down to 0F with a blanket inside (long time ago). More recently, I've used a sleeping bag like that (probably 5.5 lb total weight, $20 at discount store) at 35F, comfortably. That was inside the house during last winter's ice storm :(

Try it out in the back yard, if you get a cold night.

Mags
03-08-2010, 15:47
Brings back memories. My first "real" backpacking bag was a circa 1996 Hollofill II bag from Campmor. Rust colored/orange. Heavy and bulky as crap. (that's a technical term! :D)

I think it was about 4 lbs total as well for a 20F bag. Kept me warm enough..but I switched to Feathered Friends Hummingbird quickly after my first year of backpacking. :) (as an FYI, this was a mummy bag. They are typically warmer (or, rather, warm up and retain heat more efficiently) than the typical lower end synthetic bags that are rectangular) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=955303&postcount=20)

The hollofill bag was regulated to a quilt. I finally gave it to Goodwill this past year when I did another round of let's get rid of all the crap I don't use anymore (that's another technical term... :sun)