PDA

View Full Version : Gear Me...Upcoming Thru Hike Purchases

Crunchygroovesbra
03-08-2010, 14:32
I'll be on the trail within the next month, the problem is the gear I have is really on the heavy side and I am looking to get some new stuff. Any suggestions?

What I need
Pack
Sleeping bag
Stove
Trekking Poles

I don't want to say price is not a factor, but of course it is to an extent. I know that gear isn't going to get me to Katahdin but the right choices def couldn't hurt...

flemdawg1
03-08-2010, 14:37
Winton Porter's suggestions
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

mister krabs
03-08-2010, 14:39
:welcome

Hey Bra, what's shakin' in Irishtown? Got lots of family there, spent much time on the beach, getting pizza on 116th and many beers in Hickey's or the Irish Circle every summer growing up.

Check out the "gear" and "packing lists" section in articles on the left of the main page.

Crunchygroovesbra
03-08-2010, 14:51
well mister krabs, rockaway is good, just had our st. pats yesterday...the irish circle was packed as usual.....

mister krabs
03-08-2010, 15:00
I bet it was, I'll never forget being there one st pat's when the cops and firemen got into a fight and someone went through the front window. My aunt jeannie used to live in one of the apartments in back.

A trip to campmor in Paramus should be on your list of things to do before you leave. It's my main outfitter and I live a thousand miles away.

Blissful
03-08-2010, 15:09
Pack - ULa Catalyst many like, I have not used it myself. My son used Osprey
Stove - alcohol or I used a pocket rocket / canister (I like to see and control the flame for better cooking). A lot of Jetboils out there too
Bag - I love my Montbell hugger. Have used Marmot pounder in summer
Poles = Leki Makalu titanium - can get ornery, though some like Black Diamond as they don't seem to fail as much (they clip down)

Pacific Tortuga
03-08-2010, 15:17
Pack - ULa Catalyst many like, I have not used it myself. My son used Osprey
Stove - alcohol or I used a pocket rocket / canister (I like to see and control the flame for better cooking). A lot of Jetboils out there too
Bag - I love my Montbell hugger. Have used Marmot pounder in summer
Poles = Leki Makalu titanium - can get ornery, though some like Black Diamond as they don't seem to fail as much (they clip down)

This is good but I would consider a Western Mountaineering bag

skinewmexico
03-08-2010, 21:07
ULA Circuit or a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus.

Egads
03-08-2010, 23:36
This is very close to my last hike's pack list. I took a BD One shot tent & two pads at 2.3 lbs more since I was hiking in snow. I also carried an alcohol stove & cookset, but decided on a no cook dinner

Winter ~0*

Goss Gear pack 0.94
MacCat tarp 0.74
Pillow 0.25
MB #0 bag 2.9
POE Hyper Mtn pad 1.3
Total 6.11
Stove 0.3
Fuel 0.75
Cookware 0.4
Aquamira 0.3
Fire 0.1
Utensils / knife 0.3
Clothes 6.0
Lamp 0.3
Platy 0.2
Toiletries 0.5
Cord 0.25
Food Bag 0.1
Rain Gear 0.8
Compass/map 0.1
Total 16.4
Food 2.5
40 oz Water 2.7
Total 21.6
Trail Runners 0.8
GG Lightrek 0.4
Skin Out 22.7

Sassafras Lass
03-11-2010, 14:49
I have the Go-Lite Venture 20 (women's) sleeping bag and the Black Diamond Ergo cork trekking poles.

Extremely happy with both purchases, have used the poles a few times in the hilly woods of my southern Michigan backyard, and have yet to use my bag outside, but it is well-made, very lightweight, and within 1 minute of crawling into was super toasty and comfortable.

My husband has the Marmot Helium 15 and LOVES it. It's lightweight, very lofty and thick, great material and construction, very warm. I got my bag for stupid cheap, otherwise I would have plunked down the $$ for a Marmot as well, or perhaps a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends (I like to buy USA made when I can).

I've ordered a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, but I've not tried it so I cannot comment on it yet (it'll be here this afternoon). It has a ton of good reviews, so that plus its weight is what prompted me to purchase it.

Shoes: I'm prematurely torn between Merrell and Keen; will have to try them on.

Pack: NO idea. I like Osprey (especially their Talon 44) and I've heard great things about Deuter, so we'll have to see.

skinewmexico
03-11-2010, 22:12
I was wondering how that bag worked out. Get out in the yard and test it some night.

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2010, 22:21
Usual advice is get your pack last because you don't know what all you have to put in it until after you get everything else.

tammons
03-11-2010, 22:42
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus pack.

Golite ultra 20 quilt, that they dont make any more.
Get whatever the new one is,
or a Monbell #1 spiral, Montbell #2 SS 800.

One the cheap a Campmor 20dF down bag, 2#-4oz

MYOG alcohol stove is dead simple and cheap
or a MYOG hobo stove.

What kind of pad and tent do you have ??

Crunchygroovesbra
03-11-2010, 22:57
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus pack.

Golite ultra 20 quilt, that they dont make any more.
Get whatever the new one is,
or a Monbell #1 spiral, Montbell #2 SS 800.

One the cheap a Campmor 20dF down bag, 2#-4oz

MYOG alcohol stove is dead simple and cheap
or a MYOG hobo stove.

What kind of pad and tent do you have ??

i just my asym hennessey hammock the other day actually...i also have a thermarest z-lite for shelter sleeping and possibly some insulation in the hammock if needed...those are pretty much my only to set pieces of gear so far...

tammons
03-11-2010, 23:28
If you have a hammock definitely get a quilt like an ultra 20, It will save you weight and space. I did a test hang in mine not too long ago with a garlinton taco and pads and heavy johns down to 14dF.

That said a pad is a good thing to have, but I would definitely consider a MYOG 5oz climasheild underquilt and supplement that with the pad. Either that or buy an underquilt. Pads are a real PIA in a hammock IMO.

Does your hammock have an attached tarp ??

If not, what kind of tarp ??
8x10 1 oz sil nylon tarp is a good size.
I like 10'x12' personally, because I can set it up like a tent down to the ground and use the corner flaps for doors. Heavier though.

On the ground it makes a huge forrester tube type setup among others.

You definitely need to do some test hangs in cold weather and get used to it before you take off. After my 1st really cold hang, I knew exactly what I needed to change.

Wags
03-12-2010, 00:13
there's a couple in PA who sew zippers onto the hennessey's so you don't have to do the annoying crawl back into the birth canal thing. if i had a hennessey i'd definitely be doing this

they do really nice work...

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/

i think you're going to freeze the 1st month in that hammock if the zrest is your only under insulation. a nice cheaper option than a $200 underquilt is the SPE from speer hammocks.

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

as tammons said, you need a tarp.

tuswm
03-12-2010, 03:55
When camping in the woods I like to have a pot that I can use on a camp fire. This way I can save fuel when ever possible.

I UL person will most likely not agree with me here but....
About packs. Some people like to be as light as possible and base the pack around the best case scenario. I like to take the opposite approach. I want a pack that performs well under the heaviest load I can expect. I like to have enough room that I can stuff all the food I want in it so I don't have to resupply at every opportunity. This means the pack also has to be comfortable with the weight. This will also give you more options as far as what food and drink you can buy in town. Now I try to go as light as possible every where else as long as I think i can stay warm. I have a 65L pack as can fit 10 days of food and winter gear in it.

I have not spent too much time on the AT but I have noticed the less I resupply the less money I waste on impulse buys including expensive reseraunt meals and hotel rooms. I think the whole point of backpacking is to get away from that stuff anyways.

IMHO

JAK
03-12-2010, 07:04
I'll be on the trail within the next month, the problem is the gear I have is really on the heavy side and I am looking to get some new stuff. Any suggestions?

What I need
Pack
Sleeping bag
Stove
Trekking Poles

I don't want to say price is not a factor, but of course it is to an extent. I know that gear isn't going to get me to Katahdin but the right choices def couldn't hurt...

Trekking Poles?

NO GEAR FOR YOU! Next.

- the gear nazi

Egads
03-12-2010, 07:27
Trekking Poles?

NO GEAR FOR YOU! Next.

- the gear nazi

Trekking poles made a HUGE difference for me when blazing a trail in 2 ft of fresh snow

JAK
03-12-2010, 08:33
Trekking poles made a HUGE difference for me when blazing a trail in 2 ft of fresh snowNO GEAR FOR YOU!
NO SOUP EITHER!

- the gear nazi

JAK
03-12-2010, 08:34
Trekking poles made a HUGE difference for me when blazing a trail in 2 ft of fresh snowNO SNOW FOR YOU!

- the snow nazi

tammons
03-12-2010, 11:50
I know that gear isn't going to get me to Katahdin but the right choices def couldn't hurt...

Gear is a pretty big deal depending on your age. I am older know but when I was young I could hump a lot of weight. That said now that there is so much lightwieght gear around there is no reason to hump over a 30-32# pack fully loaded with 5 days of food if you do some careful shopping unless you want to carry your sat TV and DVD player.

Before you start buying stuff the first thing I would do is buy a good digital scale, then try to plan your new purchases to put your big 4 at 6# and the remainder of your gear at 6#or as light as possible for both for a combined base weight of about 12#.

Obviously your big 4 are going to be heavy, and you are a bit handicapped with a hammock, due to needing an UQ and associated hammock gear.
And you will need more underinsul than just one pad at the start.

A ground 6# big 4 is really pretty easy. Tarptent moment, GG mariposa plus, Neoair, short prolite 3, ridgerest or other light pad and a 2# sleeping bag.

The rest of your gear in 6# is more challenging.

1st place to start is clothing and insulated layers.

Your packed clothing will be the heaviest thing you carry. Careful shopping here and everything has to be as light as possible. For an insulated hooded parka the montbell thermawrap parka is a good one and very light, like 16-17oz but expensive.

Make a MYOG bag cookset. You can do that at 5oz total with alcohol stove. Its almost free.

If you dont have a water setup yet, buy the lightest one possible, like an Aquamira filter and chlorine drops or tablets with platy bags or just 1L water bottles from the store.
Or SUL water just skip the filter and use tablets or chlorine drops.
Bleach from under the sink, a microfiber cloth to filter, a bag and some tubing and water bottles from publix are cheap.

Your med kit should be tiny and light like sub 4oz.
Same for a survival emer kit, like sub 4-5 oz.

Your hygiene and everyday stuff TP, soap, compass, maps etc etc should weigh no more than 12-16 oz.

If you do all of that, add 2# of food per day for 5 days, 4# of H20 you will end up with a total pack weight of 26#.