PDA

View Full Version : Cave Location?

EricS96521
03-08-2010, 18:56
Back in 2007, I went on a group trip to do a cave tour. I cannot remember for the life of me where or what the name of it was. All I do remember is it is somewhere north of Johnson City, TN. It could have been in Virginia, Tennessee, or North Carolina. Just right on the border.

Anyways, the place we went to meet the tour guides had a lift to take you down the hillside/mountain down to the river/stream and back up.

What I do remember about the cave is we got on a bus and took a long drive down a winding road (going downhill) and we pulled over on the left hand side of the road. We then walked up a steep hill to the entrance to the cave, which was locked up by a metal grate with bars on it. It was a small entrance and I believe you had to duck down to get in.

If anyone could help me figure out what this cave was called or where it is located I would be so thrilled.

EricS96521
03-08-2010, 18:57
And just to add..the location we met the guides at also had a trail you could walk up the mountain and when you got to the top, you could look down into the gorge/valley and see railroad tracks running through the mountainside.

EricS96521
03-08-2010, 19:04
Actually..I found it. The Natural Tunnel in Virginia.

Disregard the thread..lol

Hikes in Rain
03-08-2010, 21:07
No, please DON'T disregard. I'm glad you located it, but it's all brand new and fascinating to me. I'd love any additional into (like links?) you could give. This is why I haunt this forum.

Thanks so much for the clues.

Tennessee Viking
03-08-2010, 21:16
Its on the VA state park website. Natural Tunnel State Park. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/nat.shtml

Its actually an arch. I grew up not too far from it. Its not much more than an old tourist attraction which Virginia acquired. And not much of a thrill IMO. You can take either a chair lift or walking trail down a steep ravine to the tunnel. Its not anything you can walk through it since train tracks run through it. Its pretty neat if you into trains or have kids. Some hiking trails around it, camping, swimming pool, and picnicking.

Rocket Jones
03-08-2010, 21:29
IIRC, the trail down to the arch is wheelchair accessable, and there are benches at short intervals for people to sit and rest...

Never mind, I'm thinking of the Natural Bridge, not the Natural Tunnel.

EricS96521
03-08-2010, 21:37
No, please DON'T disregard. I'm glad you located it, but it's all brand new and fascinating to me. I'd love any additional into (like links?) you could give. This is why I haunt this forum.

Thanks so much for the clues.

Ask about the cave tour they do. It's really fun.