PDA

View Full Version : Lakeshore Trail outta Fontana

Chaco Taco
03-08-2010, 19:12
Any idea on how much snow is till on the Lakeshore. i know this trail runs at lower elevations. May head out Friday afternoon for a night or two

full conditions
03-08-2010, 19:17
Taco, I live within a few miles of the Bryson City end of the LST and there is very little snow left here at any spot under 3000' - and, memory serves, that covers pretty much the whole trail. Probably a few good-sized blow downs though. Enjoy your hike its a wonderful trail.

SGT Rock
03-08-2010, 19:22
Agreed. I was just down in the area (not on the Lakeshore Trail unfortunately) and snow was mostly gone under 2,000' which was the highest I hiked. Just some trace in the shadows.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2010, 20:03
Thanks ya'll. Hoping the rain will go away. Really need to sleep on the ground and play in the woods. This trail is one of my favorites in the Smokies. So many options.

SGT Rock
03-08-2010, 20:04
Have you ever done the Bone Valley Trail. Short and nice.

karo
03-08-2010, 20:24
Yeah I remember flyfishing on Bone Valley Creek last fall when a hiker walked past where I was fishing. I said to myself, that guy looks familiar for sure, he even looks like pics I've seen of Sgt. Rock. Sure enough it was!

Ox97GaMe
03-08-2010, 21:06
Chaco,
I was in Bryson City and Fontana yesterday. There was no snow in either town that I could see. There were traces of snow on the N. slopes, but nothing of significance (less than 6 inches). I also drove through Stecoah Gap. There was snow there on the trail S of the gap, but none heading N from the gap. Again, it wasnt very deep snow.

The bigger issue you will encounter is blow downs. A friend of mine hiked Lakeshore about 2 weeks ago and said that there were areas where a lot of trees were down and made for slow going. He hiked Bryson City to Fontana, following the lake the entire time.

SGT Rock
03-08-2010, 22:11
Yeah I remember flyfishing on Bone Valley Creek last fall when a hiker walked past where I was fishing. I said to myself, that guy looks familiar for sure, he even looks like pics I've seen of Sgt. Rock. Sure enough it was!

Yepper. Good times.:sun

envirodiver
03-08-2010, 23:48
Chaco, I was in the park on the Cades Cove side yesterday. Ran into a little snow when we got over 2000, but it was warm and melting. Streams were low.

Enjoy, if I didn't have something I had to do over the weekend I would join you.

Ox97GaMe
03-09-2010, 14:00
Chaco,
Forecast is for rain the next few days (starting tonight). I doubt there will be any significant snow left along that trail by Friday.

Take a saw with you and clear out some of the blow downs as you go so I dont have to in a few weeks. <lol>

Chaco Taco
03-10-2010, 15:19
Chaco, I was in the park on the Cades Cove side yesterday. Ran into a little snow when we got over 2000, but it was warm and melting. Streams were low.

Enjoy, if I didn't have something I had to do over the weekend I would join you.

Thats would have been cool to hang out with ya again! Come see us in AVL anytime.

Chaco Taco
03-10-2010, 15:21
Well the weather could be worse. Not gonna be too worried about rain, I can deal with that. Plus its a low chance of it so it may miss us. Either way, we got awesome stuff to deal with rain!!;)