PDA

View Full Version : Compliment for A.T. friends!

Flash Hand
10-02-2004, 18:11
I thought, so far I've seen fewer compliments. I thought, maybe we should have this thread to compliment each other, compliment your friends, compliment to someone else for the work, etc. We need to recognize others and make someone aware that they are really make a big difference to the hiking community. Don't feel bad if some of you don't see your name on the list. It is because I don't know you.

Here my list of compliments for Appalachian Trail hikers, maintainers, friends, trail angels, contributors. :

1) ATtroll - thank you so much for this White Blaze. You are now everybody's friend! Without you, I won't be able to have confidence in hiking.

2) Balitmore Jack - took paper and pen to communicate with me!

3) Miss Janet - For providing hostel, even through hard times with Uncle Johnny's crap. Also, sweetest smile I ever seen!

4) One Leg - Courage and really gentleman-like, a friend for everybody too!

5) Jamaica - Staff at Eagle Outfitter store for giving me a free ride to Haven motel, and also, the cutest girl I ever seen on the trail!

6) Lil Munchkin - I love your huggable and your dog!

7) SmokyMtSteve - as a top poster!

8) Bob Peoples - giving me a free raincoat and his GREAT willing for shuttle between hostel and stores. No one can match his personality! He is very irreplacement. Glad to know him!

Hope to see you share this kind of compliment for others. It is what make people feel good and give them idea that they did a part for the hiking community.

Flash Hand :jump

Hammock Hanger
10-02-2004, 21:26
I thought, so far I've seen fewer compliments. I thought, maybe we should have this thread to compliment each other, compliment your friends, compliment to someone else for the work, etc. We need to recognize others and make someone aware that they are really make a big difference to the hiking community. Hope to see you share this kind of compliment for others. It is what make people feel good and give them idea that they did a part for the hiking community.
Flash Hand :jumpOkay I'll bite...

I want to compliment and say THANK YOU to:

Lwop - for bringing me into the 2004 hiking community and helping me get back my hiking "center"...

Gray Panter - for putting up with me not once but twice when I was down and confused... letting me know I was okay!

Bluebearee - for giving me a soft place to fall when I was unsure of what I wanted to do.

Deb W - for not getting to upset when I bailed on her

Hikerhead - for all the times he helped me out when I was on the trail in VA.

Chris Hall (Leki/HH Rep) & Tom Hennessy - for improving the way I camp.

Class of 2004 who summited on 9/11 - for just being great...

To all those unknown local town folk who helped me out along the way with rides, food, lodging, etc

and most of all

My husband - who supported and helped me complete my goal, who lived with me through my pain, my obsession and all the craziness the trail brought out in me :bse

Sue/Hammock Hanger

attroll
10-02-2004, 23:54
Here is my shot at a thank you list. I know I am not listing everyone. But if I was to list everyone that I have met along the way that has helped me out then I would have to probably list almost ½ of the people on this web site. So I will put a quick list together.

Everyone on WhiteBlaze - I would like to thank every one of you for making WhiteBlaze what it has become today.

SGT Rock – For helping me with the site and being there when I needed him.

Baltimore Jack – For all the insight and experience that he has share with us here from his past thru-hikes.

Walking Wally, Ferryman, PCM25 and many others for making the WhiteBlaze get together in Caratunk so successful this year.

One Leg – For letting me see that life is not over when something tragic happens and that something good comes out of the worst of things. He has inspired me even more to pursue my dreams.

Tink – My wife for having patients with me for all the time I spend on the computer and dealing with the Appalachian Trail community.

All the sponsors and donators that have help provide the funding to keep WhiteBlaze online.

All users that have posted their Appalachian Trail photos for those of us that have not thru-hiked yet. So we can see what we have to look forward to.

Wingfoot – For sending users our way. Not directly but he does it without realizing that he does. LOL.

Easy Hiker – For getting this site started and turning it over to us.

walkin' wally
10-03-2004, 06:33
I would like to give my appreciation to the AT community for the wonderful experiences that I have had so far.

To Whiteblaze and Rick for providing site for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas without interference.

To the great hikers I have met on the trail, or near Monson, or at Rainbow Lake, that have stopped to share a few of their experiences with me.
As I see them disappear down the trail I just want drop everything and go along too on that magic journey.

To the Maine ATC and my overseer Rick Ste. Croix for allowing me to have such a beautiful (and remote) section to maintain at Rainbow.

To the wonderful people who showed up at the Gathering in Caratunk and made those two days so much fun. Also to the people who did so much of the preparation for the hikers. Ferryman, Baltimore Jack, PCM 25,Tink, and everyone who helped so much.

To Uncle Wayne who I have never met in person but has been such a nice acquaintance from the internet and helped me get to Whiteblaze.

To my wife; soulmate and hiking partner, who knows all too well of my dream to thru-hike in a few years and has been so patient and supportive... realising that I may be gone for several months.

Thank you :sun

art to linda
10-03-2004, 11:18
My Thanks, to all the people here who have provided the advice & links to help me along my path......

to all the great people who have made, and maintain, this site .......

and to Flash Hand for reminding me that that "thank you" is a little something with a big impact :banana :sun

Singletrack
10-03-2004, 11:37
Thanks to Lone Wolf's posts, that always make me laugh.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2004, 12:27
Thanks to attroll who censored my post #34 in the Safety & Hygiene section, Treating water on the AT. smokymtnsteve liked it before it was edited. Wassup wit dat? :D

Jack Tarlin
10-03-2004, 12:47
Flash--

What a nice idea!

I didn't do a long hike this year, but I was able to spend a good deal of time on or near the trail anyway. Here are some of the peole that made for a memorable year:

Dan and Wayne at Bluff Mountain Outfitters and later on, Ron and Laura at the Outfitter's at Harper's Ferry, provided me with work, lodging, a place to write, and best of all, excellent company for several months this spring and summer. This also gave me the opportunity to meet, talk with, and hopefully help out many of this year's hikers.

When one is thru-hiking, one often spends less time at a place than one might like; all too often we feel compelled to adhere too strictly to our hiking schedules for fear of "falling behind." This year, I was lucky enough to spend extra time with a lot of wonderful people---Miss Janet in Erwin, and Bob Peoples at Kincora, whose kindness to the hiking community is second to none. Also Joel Urbine (Bag 'O Trix), Shane O'Donnell (Jester 2000), Tim Scott (Chomp), Ray Ronan (Walkin' Home) Karine Kelleher (Blister Sister), and the rest of my friends from Billville, who every year amaze me with what they do for hikers. Likewise my best friend Dave. V. in Hanover, who has been my "base camp" guy for a decade, as well as landlord and principal employer: In opening up his property to me and some of my hiking friends this year, he helped me realize that I'm not temperamentally fit to run a hiker hostel....as to the folks who DO run (and sometimes LIVE in) hiker hostels, well my hat's ofdf to you! I can't fathom how you do it without going crazy or maiming someone.

Among other service providers and Trail angels, I just want to give a big shout, hello, and thank you to Winton and his family at Neel's Gap; Curtis and Maria at Standing Bear Farm; Brian and Frank at the Duckett House in Hot Springs; Elmer Hall of Sunnybank in Hot Springs; Jeff, his family, and staff at Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus; Lone Wolf of Damascus, who also spends a lotta time helping out complete strangers; Brenda at the Pearisburg Motel in Pearisburg, for putting up with us hikers regardless of our failings; the Mitchell family of Catawba, who do likewise; the good folks in Duncannon, Port Clinton, Palmerton, and Delaware Water Gap, who help folks survive Pennsylvania---especially the GREAT crew at the Doyle Hotel, and Trailangel Mary, who is so nice she'd probably give Osama a hot meal and chance to clean up. (Yeah, she'd whale the tar outta him afterwards, but only after he was fed).

Also, the incomparable Tom Levardi of Dalton, the great staff of the Inn at Long Trail near Killington, and everyone at the Five Olde Nugget Alley Tavern in Hanover, the best restaurant/bar on the Trail, who'll always have a smile for hikers regardless of how they look, or more importantly, how much they stink. I think I've proably spent more hours here than I did in college. Learned a lot more, too.

The great folks at the hostel in Glencliff----Big John and his family; Packrat, Lion King and Gary really pulled out the stops for hikers this year.

And heading North, so did Honey and Bear at the Cabin; Steve Longley in Caratunk; and the Shaw family in Monson.

I also was lucky enough to meet and spend a good bit of time with Scott Rogers and his wonderful family. He inspired a lotta folks this year; another added benefit was then when he was around, you didn't hear other hikers whining and complaining much, if at all.

I also want to thank everyone at the A.T.C. in Harper's Ferry, who do extraordinary work for all of us, and in return get little recognition, little thanks, and little or no pay. Likewise a big thanks to everyone who did Trail work or maintenance this year, and serve as a reminder to all of us that when we're out on the Trail, everything we see out there (Trail, shelter, campsite) that wasn't put there by God was put there by a volunteer.

Finally, a big thanks to the folks in the Class of 2004; it was privilege to meet with many of you, help out some of you, and hike with a few of you. It was a great group this year.

Big thanx, of course, to Troll and Rock for everything that do here at Whiteblaze, the best website of its kind that I know of.

And lastly, thanks to the folks who are now serving, or who have served in our Armed Forces. We tend to think of these only folks on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, which is a pity. It is folks like this who've given folks like me the opprtunity to spend so much time enjoying the beauty and freedom found in this country.

Whew! I think that covers it; apologies to the many people I've forgfotten, but most of them know who they are, and in any case, most of them do what they do for the pleasure of it, and not for thanks or gratitude.

Funnjy thing about the Trail.....most folks hike alone for much of their trip. The reality is that NOBODY truly hikes alone out there, and the folks we meet who help us and brighten up our travels, in later days, are what we remember as much as the physical trail itself.

rocket04
10-03-2004, 14:04
Excellent lists by everybody, no point in repeating the same stuff. I would, however, like to thank the mountains for the views, the ponds and lakes for the swims, the trees for the shadow, the springs for the cold water, the flowers for the colors, and the bears and snakes for not attacking me!

Flash Hand
10-03-2004, 22:24
Also, i want to thank Youngblood for taking time taking pictures of many shelters, faces of hikers, and everything else to post up in whiteblaze. You did make a huge difference for whiteblaze! Thanks again!

Flash Hand :jump

SwEeT cLoVeR
10-03-2004, 23:11
I want to say many thanks to Flash hand for teaching me and giving me tons of good advices, if it wasn't for him, I wouldnt be planning to go for 2005 thur hike :clap

SGT Rock
10-04-2004, 09:59
Too many to name, but let me see:

Houshold 6 (AKA Dixicritter) for keeping the home straight while I was gone and for a million other things some not to be named here.

ATTroll for keeping the site up and improving it while I was gone, also for being there to keep me sane when the hacker got my site.

Dead Man Walking and One Shoe for hiking with me in the Ozarks 2 weeks after I got back.

Jack Tarlin for the beer at Dots and the great food at Ms Janets and Kincora.

Ms Janet for her great place and her great attitude.

Bob Peoples for letting me work on the trail this year.

SmokymountainSteve for the great conversation at Hard Core.

Trail Yeti for getting me to Hard Core without getting lost.

Lone Wolf for keeping it real.

DebW for the support packages in Iraq

Rosaleen for the same

HOI for the same

I.M.A. Hiker (whoever you really are) for the same

Others whoes names I have lost for the same, sorry, but sometimes the war destroys your lists of names...

Tom Hennessy for setting me up in a B&B the first night of Trail Days, then letting me sleep in the display for the rest of the time.

Rebel with a Cause for getting me set up in Tennessee the right way.

Mountain Dew for being such a gentelman at Kincora. He is a class act despite what you might think from his posts ;)

One Leg for everything. He is good people and so are his entire crew.

I feel like I am probably leaving others out, I am sorry for that.

Kerosene
10-04-2004, 11:57
I'm not as well connected as Sgt. Rock, but there are a few folks I'd like to recognize and thank:

AT Troll: For tirelessly helping to move this site forward in the right direction. There's a ton of work that needs to get done behind the scenes to keep the site accessible, up to date and available. And of course, emergencies never occur when you plan for them.

Sgt. Rock: For his constant support and continuing interest in this on-line community, when his own site (hikinghq.net (http://hikinghq.net/)) is a fantastic resource in its own right. Glad to have you back.

Dixicritter: For giving Sgt. Rock enough time from the "honey do" list to waste it on us!

Hikerhead: A true southern gentleman who will give his right arm to help you out without expecting anything in return. It looks like we gave him Whiteblaze Fever as he moves beyond the Virginia AT.

ATwalker99: I met him on WhiteBlaze.net, picked him up at his home outside Cleveland for the 7-hour ride to Rockfish Gap and a lovely week of October hiking down to Buena Vista. Where are you, Ed?

The Weasel: One of the early contributors to WhiteBlaze, and quite a character. Where have you gone?

Respondents to the WhiteBlaze.net Greeting: You know who you are. The only reason I keep sending out an introductory greeting to new registrants is that I love it when someone replies needing assistance or just thanking me for the intro.

TankHiker
10-04-2004, 12:23
I'd like to say thanks to Savage Llama for posting the articles on the AT.

And thanks to everyone who contributes AT pictures. I love seeing the "random pictures from the gallery" every day.

-Tank

smokymtnsteve
10-04-2004, 18:20
Thanks to attroll who censored my post #34 in the Safety & Hygiene section, Treating water on the AT. smokymtnsteve liked it before it was edited. Wassup wit dat? :D

god dang reformed drinkers :D