PDA

View Full Version : Chafing!

GalHikingTheGap
03-08-2010, 21:41
Hello Ladies (and you lurking Gents)

Normally, chafing on my inner-thighs isn't a huge issue for me (I'm 150 and 5'3", work outdoors for a living). But sometimes it is. Now is one of those times.

Not sure what the rhyme or reason is but on a day-hike today (but also the past couple of weeks) I found my inner thighs getting chafed.

I wasn't slinging my pants really low and laid off the hiking skirt, I tried wearing boxers with my jeans or hiking pants. Nothing is working.

Before hiking today I tried baby powder and yet, here I sit with some very unpleasant red rashes-- and I'm backpacking the first 20 miles from Pen-Mar to Caledonia in PA for work in 13 days.

Any and all solutions would be welcome so that I'm able to concentrate getting back into the swing of backpacking a couple weeks. Thanks!

-L, Gal Hiking The Gap.

Roland
03-08-2010, 21:44
lycra shorts

leaftye
03-08-2010, 21:54
Yep, any type of tight shorts should work. Us fat guys find a lot of success with long boxer briefs and unpadded cycling tights.

Simba
03-08-2010, 22:01
I started out with the unpadded biker shorts; kept the long thermal biker pants (unpadded) for winter wear. But, found after awhile it was real hot and created more heat problems than anything. Another suggestion is Bag Balm. It has many uses and one of them is for the issue you speak of; it can be found in health stores, Rite Aid type stores, and farm stores. It was originally used for the chafing of cow utters; comes in a real small container like Vaseline or tub size; probably for the farmers. SOmething I may consider this time out.

SImba
Milford, PA

Manwich
03-08-2010, 22:07
This isn't a female specific problem. My thighs rub together too, and I'm underweight. Some people prescribe astro-glide to lube up your thighs, I wear under-armor-type briefs that go halfway down my thigh. Did the trick but damn 200mi later those underwears are wearing away.

Elder
03-08-2010, 22:15
You could try Body Glide...
I'm not a lady, but it works for me!

fiddlehead
03-08-2010, 22:37
Diaper rash creme for babies will heal you up.
Chances are, you won't need anything later.
If so, body glide or KY gel works

redmarbleshoe
03-09-2010, 00:05
You could try Body Glide...
I'm not a lady, but it works for me!

I am a lady, and body glide works great for me. They have a heating one too. I do not recommend that one, unless you really need it for muscle aches, and you don't mind the extra weight. I wouldn't recommend the heating one for just chaffing issues.

I'm a curvy girl and I was getting chaffed in the upper thighs and then near my ever so sliding knee braces on the upper thigh.

Body glide is great. I usually do not need to re-apply until the next day's hike. They even come in travel sizes. It is like a deodorant stick. Good luck.

Live the Journey
03-09-2010, 00:06
I'm a fan of KY jelly...I'm an even bigger fan of compression shorts. I really love the ones I bought from SkirtSport...they're lycra shorts with a mesh waist, so they're tight, but without the "sausage" effect with a too-tight waist band. Did my hike last year with one pair under my hiking skirt and loved them! I get the inner thigh rubs every now and then as well, and compression shorts eliminate the problem. If I feel a rub starting somewhere else though, KY is usually my first line of defense, followed by some gold bond powder. good luck!

Sumone86
03-09-2010, 02:30
got to throw this in there since i was reading the today post and saw that this was in the female section had to add in that this has be the biggest problem i have with hiking. since i was 17 and join the military i go for a min. of a 3 mile hike and i'm bound to end up with chafed inner legs. i'm a male 24 and it still happens i'm not overweight are under. i have try cream, ky jelly, biker shorts, under armour clothing, nothing works. best of luck finding something that does, i just bear with the pain like everything else in life.

nitewalker
03-09-2010, 07:01
This isn't a female specific problem. My thighs rub together too, and I'm underweight. Some people prescribe astro-glide to lube up your thighs, I wear under-armor-type briefs that go halfway down my thigh. Did the trick but damn 200mi later those underwears are wearing away.

and if this solution alone doesnt work you will want to try some body glide. another thing that will work for very minor chaffing is chap stick. it is made for chaffing of the lips so it works well in other areas. be sure to cut small peice off with knife;). i used the chapstick before and it worked very well in a pinch..:D

Big Dawg
03-09-2010, 08:19
Body Glide,,,,, awesome stuff!!

leaftye
03-09-2010, 11:38
i have try cream, ky jelly, biker shorts, under armour clothing, nothing works. best of luck finding something that does, i just bear with the pain like everything else in life.

You do have to pull it up into your crotch. Some cuts of clothing still leave the inner thighs uncovered and free to rub.

I also haven't had much luck with Body Glide. It rubs off too quickly.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-09-2010, 11:49
check out Sportslick for chafing etc a lot of runnesr use this product antibacterial antifungal and prevents chafing other products are hydropel ,monkey butt powder and of course Gold Bond powder

svlc22
03-09-2010, 17:44
Hi Gal,

I have had my share of chafing problems, I'm a fan of a few different options...Ibex makes a unisex boxer brief type deal that is awesome. Rather pricey but worth checking out especially if you don't want the stink that goes along with all the synthetic type biker shorts/underwear type items...http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1521/4867/mens-balance-boxer-short (http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1521/4867/mens-balance-boxer-short)

Another option is the above mentioned synthetic type garments...even though I'm a female I am not opposed to wearing boxer brief type undergarments if it meets what I need when I am hiking...others have suggested the Under Armor boxer jock http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/ua-underwear/mens&pg=0 (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/ua-underwear/mens&pg=0)

(they actually have multiple lengths that may appeal to you.) type bottoms those work for me as well as Exofficio's boxer brief. I tend to stay away from female specific "boy shorts" because I don't find them long enough to help prevent the chaffing problems.

Lots of mentions of Body Glide and Sportslick...try em and see if you like them. I personally like the Sportslick better but try not to use if often for I use it more on my feet if I feel a hot spot coming on...

My last suggestion would be based on what to do when you have a bad case...go to your local drug store/or target type place and pick up something called Boudreaux's Butt Paste. This stuff is worth it's weight in GOLD! I had a really bad case of the chaff on my thighs was able to apply this and along with a good pair of boxer brief type underwear was able to hike in comfort the next day!

Hope some of this advice helps...:)

envirodiver
03-09-2010, 18:38
I double up with lycra compression shorts and Body Glide. Used the shorts without Body Glide and still had chafing issues. Added the Body Glide and no problems since.1 application in the morning lasts all day, even when perspiring.

You may have to look in the cycling department at many stores to find it.

GalHikingTheGap
03-10-2010, 20:50
Thanks folks for the great replies! Lots of interesting options, but the first one seems to be to get rid of the rubbing, so I've been wearing cut-off tights every day so I can start to heal up. Not sure what my solution will be for my 4-day coming up, as I'm a bit swamped and would be hard-pressed to find great shorts in time. Lots to think about, keep 'em coming!

Gal

PACTwink
03-11-2010, 00:29
I would think that you could go to your local Sports Authority, Modell's, Dick's.... and get a pair of the running wicking biker-type shorts? They probably shouldn't run you more than $20 and if they're good for running I'd imagine that they are good for hiking.

GalHikingTheGap
03-18-2010, 11:56
Any helpful info on where exactly to purchase these athletic lubricants? I live in a small town and today's the day to run errands before we hit trail!

L

mister krabs
03-18-2010, 11:58
running stores and big box sporting goods stores that cater to runners.

K2
03-18-2010, 13:45
Any helpful info on where exactly to purchase these athletic lubricants? I live in a small town and today's the day to run errands before we hit trail!

L

Amazon search results (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=anti+chafing&sprefix=anti+c) ~K2~

leaftye
03-18-2010, 13:50
They also sell Bodyglide at Walmart. This site should tell you if it's available at a store in your area.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pjur-Woman-Bodyglide-DripFree-Tube-3.3-Oz./11050635

But I don't think this is quite the same as what we've been discussing here.

GalHikingTheGap
04-07-2010, 22:16
I got a thing of Boudraux's Butt Paste and a good pair of bike shorts and was none the worse for wear (though my inner-thighs are slightly darker, hope I can get rid of those before lifeguarding!). Thanks all for your support (even the mens!)
L

Erin
04-07-2010, 22:35
I am a lady and ditto the body glide suggestion. Works when I run. In a pinch, try vaseline and the greasy diaper rash stuff if the store on your hike does not have Body Glide.

wystiria
04-08-2010, 10:42
I have this issue - and I have permenantly switched to running shorts, or capris. Specifically Nike Dri-fit with the long inseam so that it ends just above the knee. these do NOT move while I hike so no chaffing. this has been true in the Whites, in PA in the summer, and int he southern new england - so it doesn't seem to matter on the terrain etc.

the glides just don't work for me since they wear off and also catch debris.

flemdawg1
04-08-2010, 17:16
If you have difficulty finding body glide, try your local Walmart. Johnson's is now selling a skin lube. I've found it to be as effective as BG and the package is smaller.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Band-Aid-R-Stick-Friction-Block-Tm-.34-oz/12167313

GalHikingTheGap
04-10-2010, 23:16
If you have difficulty finding body glide, try your local Walmart. Johnson's is now selling a skin lube. I've found it to be as effective as BG and the package is smaller.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Band-Aid-R-Stick-Friction-Block-Tm-.34-oz/12167313

I did see this for $5 at Wal-Mart but couldn't bring myself to spend that much on essentially vegetable shortening.

Terraducky
04-10-2010, 23:30
OK, I know people who swear by this product:

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.php?src=directory&view=AMB_Products&category=Lady%20Anti%20Monkey%20Butt&query=category.eq.Lady%20Anti%20Monkey%20Butt&srctype=detail&back=AMB_Products&refno=69

Check it out and see what you think...it's worth a try!

I have seen it at hardware stores...

Graywolf
04-12-2010, 00:23
I know this is a womens forum, but I thought I would chime in here as I have chaffing problems..I make a mixture of Goldbond cream and coconut cream and put that into a 35mm film canister.. It works well, and dosnt cost much..It provides both soothing and protection from drying...

Hope that helps..

Graywolf

MMX
04-12-2010, 10:46
www.sportslick.com (http://www.sportslick.com)

The best stuff I have ever used. Used to have major issues and now none. Works good on feet to prevent blisters and really well on the inner thigh issues. Antifungal and bacterial as well.

dreamchaser
05-31-2010, 23:45
I agree with Terraducky! Anti-MonkeyButt powder is great. I find it at the local farm and hardware supply stores.